Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » ::: FSC Meetups ::: » FSC for December 7th « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 655
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to suggest that we meet at the newly open Park Bar which is on the corner of Park and Elizabeth, next to Cliff Bell’s. It is a beautiful bar, with picture windows looking out onto the street. The wood bar is awesome. AND they have over 20 beers on tap.

I think there are already a few forumites planning on being there tomorrow night so let's see if we can get some more...
that's if Grandmaster ItsJeff approves of his humble subject's suggestion:-)

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the motion...
All who agree upon the Park bar state "Aye", those against "Nay"...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7412
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aye, I'll see y'all for a pint or two before running over Bert's for Open Mic...I've got a small army of people coming down for that...you never know what is going to happen at Bert's Open Mic nights...I've witnessed magic there.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 967
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AYE

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10997
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they serve food there?

Gannon

Post Number: 7420
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can probably get some FREE snacks tossed down from a few of the tenants across the street at the Trolley Plaza.

Might be regurgitated, but you've earned 'em!!

Harmonie

Post Number: 656
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the Park Bar it is! Plus it's the owner's birthday so it will be nice to give him our beer money as a present:-)

Gannon, are you referring to my omelettes? They are much more than snacks...they are a delicacy...especially at 3 a.m.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK. I plan on walking over tomorrow. It's great to see Park Ave transforming before us.

If somebody sees an older white guy standing at the entrance holding a a great big DetroitYes sign, that'll be me. Looking forward to meeting people tomorrow.

Itsjeff still owes me a beer, though I'll be happy to reciprocate and buy him the second round. Don't be too disappointed in me when I bag out at 11:00. Surgery starts early in A2.

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, they do have minimal food right now, brats, red hots, and italian sausages. They will have a full kitchen by the first of the year.

Gannon

Post Number: 7423
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie!

NO! heh

I was referring to all the vomiting Sport causes a few 'other' residents of the Trolley...sweet-toothed ones.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7194
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't be able to make FSC anyway, so you guys have fun and I hope to see everyone next week.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ well isn't that just typical!! ;P

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might have to get the ol' ball and chain and make my first appearance. Do you tend to stay past midnight?

Docmo

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff,
Still not off the hook with me. Looking forward to meeting you at an FSC in the near future.
docmo

Harmonie

Post Number: 657
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey,
There are always a few of us who end up making a night of it...and the number keeps growing. Hope to see you tonight.

Supersport

Post Number: 11002
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I won't be able to make FSC anyway, so you guys have fun and I hope to see everyone next week.

Hey....psst...you guys, the coast is clear.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too bad I'm taking exams, otherwise I'd like to show up and meet some of ya'll for the first time and crack some heads. Oh well, maybe next time or on my way back to school.

Gannon

Post Number: 7431
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cracking heads in NOT allowed on a virgin visit.

You've got to wait until your second time, and only if sponsored by a convenient ex-pat.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger that.
I hope you're wearing a nametag for my second visit.....

Gannon

Post Number: 7437
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF, am I your first target?!

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

naw....just looking for some good AV discussion, that's all.....

Gannon

Post Number: 7438
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't have to crack my head open to get that...it would be not unlike that goose with the golden eggs story. Heh.

You could always e-mail me, too. I usually answer questions efficiently, even IF and when I can't leave the loft.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummmm.....okay then. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I hope you're wearing a nametag for my second visit.....

Trust me, you will not need a nametag to figure out who is Gannon.

Just listen -- he talks just likes he posts.

Can't miss him.

Gannon

Post Number: 7446
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only until I run into YOU. Heh.

Who's buying me belated birthday drinks tonight?!

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7195
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I'd like the honors, but next time.

Supersport

Post Number: 11004
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Trust me, you will not need a nametag to figure out who is Gannon.

Just listen -- he talks just likes he posts.

Can't miss him.

It could be argued that ErikD could easily be mistaken for Gannon.

Is the "Jelk Foundation" still sponsoring beers for those who lost their jobs? haha

Dabirch

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It could be argued that ErikD could easily be mistaken for Gannon.

I guess in 11004 posts the odds are you'll be funny every once in a while...

Gannon

Post Number: 7449
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think that was funny.

I'm not NEARLY the libertarian and city policy wonk that ErikD is...

Gannon

Post Number: 7450
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and I'm stuck in Royal Oak at a clients.

Sometimes technology can really suck. Too many problems here to leave, too much frustration to stay.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 789
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the same thing when I saw "AV Discussion". Hope you're a good listener.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7196
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stuck my head in for a while tonight. The Park Bar is very cool and I hope they'll be a huge success. Great to see Harmonie, Matt, Mr. Matt, Lowell, Mrs. Lowell, Rsa, Mrs. Rsa, Slows, Jelk, Skulker, NDavies, Michael, Supersport, Hysteric, Blondy, Mikem, Mrs. Mikem, Sharmaal... apologies if I missed anyone. Finally got to meet Docmo, a very nice guy. I hope he joins us again very soon. Especially since I stiffed him on the beer. I have to confess that a new forumite introduced himself and I smiled and nodded, but the truth is that it was so noisy that I didn't catch the name. So would the skinny guy standing next to Docmo please identify himself.

I have a yen for reuben soup. Dakota Inn next week?

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was me, Itsjeff. Sorry for not being loud enough. I guess my name suits me, eh? :-)

Also wish to give out personal greetz to those I met there: Itsjeff, Lowell, Mrs. Lowell, Sharmaal, Supersport, Docmo, and Harmonie. Didn't get to meet too many people as it seems like there was a good turnout.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7198
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Sticks. And here I thought you picked your screen name because you grew up in Milford or something...

Join us next week. In your case, I'll get you a reuben soup.

Sticks

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that were the case, my name would be TaylorTucky.

And I think I'll take you up on that offer, thank ya.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3398
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We rolled in around 10, cruising down Michigan following a Spencer Barefield quartet performance at the Arab American Museum in Dearborn [great place with weekly performances BTW].

This was the biggest attended FSC in my experience. Great to see you all and meet newcomers Sticks and Docmo. Also missing from ItsJeff's roll call [who also stiffed me on a beer] was kbkav, who I didn't get to greet, Jen, Manrooter and e hemingway.

The owner, Jeff Ballenger, had a great customer loyalty concept, his LOD [Legends of Detroit] list. Anyone who signed up will get a dollar off each drink in the future.

The design of the bar is terrific with large round bar that gives visibility of all present. Giant floor to ceiling windows [20'?] on the N and W sides provide great natural light [I 'm not fond of dark bars] and give excellent vistas of the elegant Women's City Club and the fabulous ruin of the Charlevoix Bldg. A superb draft beer selection topped it off for me.

As Arnold says, "I be bahk."

Great call Harmonie!

Supersport

Post Number: 11006
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been a good time, as I'm just getting home. :-) Great seeing you all!

ps...Lowell, I have to say however that our biggest gathering was at The Well a few years back. Can't recall the exact number, but I believe it was well over 30, perhaps even 40+. It was the time that even Rock, FromZenon, the EEK guy, and a few others showed up. Though this was quite possibly the second most attended outing, and the best one I have seen in a few years.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be great being unemployed... staying out til 2:30 and all.

Supersport

Post Number: 11009
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't complain. :-)

Docmo

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a great time. I'll definitely be back again. Lowell, thanks for recognizing and approaching me. Great talking with you and Susan.

Rsa, I hope to see you soon. Maybe catch a meal sometime.

Itsjeff, you're off the hook. It was my early work schedule that messed up that beer. Pleasure to meet you.

Harmonie, you are great company to sneak a smoke with. Let's do it again.

Sticks, as FSC newbies, I enjoyed our common bond. Stay in touch.

Great to meet MIkem & Sharmaal too. I'll catch others over the next few weeks.

Thanks, again

Sticks

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner, Jeff Ballenger, had a great customer loyalty concept...

I think his first name is Jerry.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any chance of a forum outing tonight?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7203
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We get together every Thursday. Tomorrow will be at the Dakota Inn.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bummer. I'll forge out alone. will be in GR by Thursday.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

any chance of a forum outing tonight?

Manrooters gay.

Gannon

Post Number: 7570
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not an outING...more like outED.

Poor fellow's past tense.

Hope one day he finds his release.

plus, you missed an apostrophe, get with the program.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

plus, you missed an apostrophe, get with the program

Blah...blah...blah...

Manrooter
Username: Manrooter

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the apostrophe.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Harmonie

Post Number: 663
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DR,
You can always find a forumite at a downtown bar. I know a few that live at Honest Johns, one that can always be found at Delux, the Well used to be crawling with forum folk but now only a few find themselves there on a regular basis.
I am going to try to stop by the Anchor Bar tonight for Euchre night and then Buzz Bar for the one and only Miss Thornetta Davis...bottom line...you're never alone in the D.

Harmonie

Post Number: 664
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh...and if you're bored in GR the only place with any personality is Billy's in EastTown....it always has great live music.
Also in EastTown is The Pita House...which is an independently owned middle eastern smorgasbord where you design your own gyro like you would your sub at Subway. Effing Awesome!
Oh...and Yesterdog which is famous for its...you guessed it...Hot Dogs. It appeared in the American Pie movies as "Dog Years"

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4107
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

DR,
You can always find a forumite at a downtown bar. I know a few that live at Honest Johns, one that can always be found at Delux, the Well used to be crawling with forum folk but now only a few find themselves there on a regular basis.
I am going to try to stop by the Anchor Bar tonight for Euchre night and then Buzz Bar for the one and only Miss Thornetta Davis...bottom line...you're never alone in the D.

Christ I feel like Carol Kennicott.

mainstreet

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the Well used to be crawling with forum folk

Geez Harmonie, you make it sound like an infestation...

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff: "We get together every Thursday. Tomorrow will be at the Dakota Inn."

So can newbies come to the FSC or does one need a minimum number of posts to attend these elite events?

The Dakota is located on John R. near 6 mile north of Highland Park correct?

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 793
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

125 post minimum, please.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So now I am at 121....I'll make the cut before Thursday night.

Besides you'll never know who I am Mr. Cheddar.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.