Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Can We teach forumers tolerance for all Who make relatively minor mistakes in grammar or spelling? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7477
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come ON, now.

Give it a break.

Can't we all just get along?

Well, everybody except the direct unpaid volunteer shills for major television networks.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5344
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

:-)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well, everybody except the direct unpaid volunteer shills for major television networks.

quote:

Come ON, now.

Give it a break.

Gannon

Post Number: 7482
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denial so complete, he doesn't see himself in the exemption.

By disagreeing, he agrees.

So funny, it hurts.

So sad, it tickles.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 803
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah give me a break im ignorant on spelling. I went to school k-12 at East Detroit schools. Can we just say its an eastside thing and leave it alone. lol

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 856
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, we can't. Eastside public school attendance does not equal a poor education and it does not mean poor grammar and spelling result.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't this mean "Can't we just accept that most people here are stupid?"

Because come on, how is one supposed to improve if one's deficiencies are tolerated without question?

Gannon

Post Number: 7540
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've known many a smart person who had trouble simply TYPING...geez.

Yes, it is best that they work to communicate most properly with the least distractions...but to put all that energy into bitching about it is a total waste.

Not because they won't learn, they probably could, but to derail the thread like that is equally distracting, if not worse.

It reeks of judgement...we can just imagine you looking down the entire length of your nose at the computer monitor. "Gosh, Jeeves, thahre they go agahn, those plebians trahing to prove themselves worthy..."

Karl

Post Number: 5376
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm new to the forum and have read barely a dozen posts, but here's my $.02 (or in the opinion of certain contributors, less):

Most folks manage to get their points across succinctly and generally spell (within all our limits) correctly. Grammar isn't quite as tight, but look at the general population and then here - it's pretty good.

Naturally, there's a big difference between grammar/spelling and opinion, so we'll leave opinion alone for this thread. But generally, grammar/spelling is pretty good. I would say Gannon is the most concise/precise and his posts are (IMO) the closest to grammatical/spelling perfection. Not sure where he learned about indenting/spacing, but that's another matter.

Posting during happy hour and/or mental impairment is an entirely different matter. IMO, the former leaves one wide open (esp on a public forum) to well-earned ridicule. The latter is, of course, overlooked/tolerated, somewhat.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how can you be "new to the forum"and have 5,376 posts? What exactly does that mean?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, however I am new to the forum.

Karl

Post Number: 5379
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrulez -

Because most folks here might agree that I've contributed nothing (or had a negative impact) and the number is irrelevant (or worse)

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum.

Gannon

Post Number: 7557
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, Karl, I find myself disagreeing with you.

You have had a positive impact on ME, at least.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Karl.....and, see right there...Gannon's thoughts above demonstrate that those 5,370+ posts were put to good use.

Gannon

Post Number: 7560
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and I'm not just saying those things to make him feel better, either.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon....are you also "new" to the forum despite your 7,560 posts?

Gannon

Post Number: 7563
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Each mile I drive is new in my 250,000 mile Audi.

Every breath I take...is different than the last.

So, no, I wouldn't say despite, rather 'in the midst of'.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got it....thanks. no need to get all mystical on me.

Gannon

Post Number: 7566
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that is the case, I must STFU.

But that hurts too much.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that case, can I offer you some lemons,maple syrup and cayenne pepper perhaps?

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the vanilla beans & honey.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Telling Gannon not to be mystical is like asking birds not to fly and fish not to swim.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would say Gannon is the most concise/precise

Ummm, yeah. Those are the words that most of us would use.

"You know Gannon, he's that really concise guy."

Followed quickly by:

"You know Sean Casey, he's that really fast guy."

Karl

Post Number: 5380
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starting after my last post and not including this post, this thread has given me more than my laugh of the day - too funny.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 809
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spelling

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 875
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps Gannon and Karl meant that they posted thousands of times but only read or listened a dozen or so times?

Or perhaps they posted thousands of times to the same dozen threads?

Which one is the peanut butter and which on is the chocolate?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3315
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that a lot of the sparing that goes on here (especially in Non-Detroit Issues) is very reminiscent of the WWF. People get all worked up, but in the end they all enjoyed the taunts and the playing up of their parts.

I do however think that some on this forum do need to get on blood pressure medicine, and may not know it yet.

I recently started taking it, not knowing that my younger sister and older brother had been taking it for years (as do my parents). Of course when you're over 40, you are kinda in denial!

So if your parents take it, your time will come...

Pam

Post Number: 786
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I do however think that some on this forum do need to get on blood pressure medicine, and may not know it yet.

A person I work with behaved normally _until_ she went on this stuff. Plus I also have to listen to her cough from it all day. I have a feeling it is over prescribed like a lot of other things in this country.

Gistok

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, I agree completely about overmedication in this country, especially the excessive use of anti-biotics.

However, that said, in my case little things were getting me steamed, such as the driver in front of me not using their turn signals when on the road. And I found that I was often very tired in the afternoon (even after getting a full nights sleep).

With our stressed lives, long working hours, long commutes, it takes its' toll on our bodies.

I have a friend who's father (not poor by any means) was scrimping on his blood pressure medicine (because he didn't want to pay for it that often)... was taking it every other day to save on money. Over the holidays 3 years ago, he decided he could go without it for a few days. Then 2 days later he had a major stroke, and has been in a wheelchair ever since, due to his thriftiness. A bad decision that his family has (quietly) resented him for ever since.

Ever since I have been on it, I am less tired, since high blood pressure makes your body work harder.

Those home blood pressure devices are available at all major drug stores for less than $40. If you find that stupid things irritate you, then go get one of those devices, and check it out for yourself. Or if you go to the doctor regularly (as I do), then listen to your doctor when he/she says that your blood pressure is a little high today (I always chalked it up to the doctors office visit).

Also, lack of exercise, unhealthy eating and being overweight are also contributors.

High blood pressure, the slow killer in America.

Pam

Post Number: 788
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you find that stupid things irritate you

Yes they do but I was told all was ok on my last check up. So I guess I have to use lack of sleep or PMS as excuses. :-) Good luck with the meds, hope you don't have the side effects like my co-worker.

Gistok

Post Number: 3335
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam... one word of advice... avoid Non-Detroit Issues... :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 7678
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're trying to keep the enemy consumed, if not contained, on their turf not ours.

Stay the course!

Mission accomplished.

Gistok

Post Number: 3337
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^ LOL (good one) Happy Holiday's Gannon! Now that I'm done with my 3 year LEGO CD marathon at being a hermit, I may just show up at a January FSC gathering! You're one of the interesting people on this forum I'd like to meet!

(I'm still blown away by those Hubble Galaxy shots!!!!)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon---way back , Dec. 11, you quoted Rodney King but forgot to give him credit. Rodney deserves all the credit he can get. He does not need any more money.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4660
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peace and prosperity to all.

jjaba.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Holidays.

Grammar and spelling are important.

That is all.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 458
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I'm an oddball, but one of the prime aspects of this forum, and one which I find to be hilarious, is the absolute lack of tolerance for ANYBODY EVER making ANY kind of error, be it grammatical, spelling, or factual. I suppose that it gets a bit over-played, and therefore tiresome, at times, but I think it's funny, and it keeps everybody on their toes. If you are a half-literate dummy, you better watch out!! On the other hand, it is good to remember that not every good-spelling grammar whiz is a bright thinker, and vice-versa. One thing, though, is absolutely required, on this forum: Puh-LEEZ have a sense of humor.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm the oddball because I actually appreciate having my grammar corrected. I've learned more grammar from various internet forums than I ever learned in school. :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 7684
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the grammar lessons really stick without the ruler...but that could be my parochial school upbringing talking!

Rock,

Damn, you caught me. Funny thing, I wouldn't mind the cash...I don't deserve the CREDIT! Heh. (Ouch, I know.)

Ravine,

Ditto, it is particularly unsettling, but if we can do ANYTHING to stave off the e-Newspeak shorthand that is continually being coined by the youngsters (and young-minded)...then I'm behind it all the way. I'm on the side of more complete and clear communication, honest.

But then again, people tend to skip the lengthier posts...so I wonder sometimes if there is any true benefit from all this effort. (could be my year-end melancholy chirping up...anxiety has been lingering all day)

Cheers all, and the best of whatever is good for you to each...just remember even the good stuff can be toxic in the right concentration.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

... not every good-spelling grammar whiz is a bright thinker, and vice-versa.

Yeah, it's the thoughts that count, definitely.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 466
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is what I found in the bottom of the pan, after I boiled all the water out: The real (and ONLY) point of good grammar is to ensure clarity in YOUR expression of YOUR statement. You want folks to understand the statement you're trying to make, correct? Fracturous (don't bother checking; I made that one up) grammar, particularly in writing, can lead to one's self-expression being misunderstood. THEREFORE, if one's statement is grammatically unsound, but still perfectly clear, the Practitioners can tsk-tsk all they want, but the real job got done. (Or "was finished," yeah, yeah, I know; whatever.) Unfortunately for the grammatically impaired, however, writing with poor grammar seldom leads to clarity. (And if you're a member of this forum, you must jump all over all errors, even when the poster's thought is utterly clear. It's just how it's done.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.