Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Kathleen..... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 735
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume you know by now that the search for Brian Hall and Jerry "Nikko" Cooke was called off effective about an hour ago due to another winter storm hitting Mt. Hood. The families of the two men made the decision.

Please extend my condolences to your co-worker. Mountain rescue out here is followed closely and although you can't tell it, silent prayers are being said all over the Pacific Northwest.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4636
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Condolences from jjaba.
The Hood River Sheriff and Portland Mtn. Rescue gave it all they had. Bad weather has moved in again on Weds. all the way up to 11,239 ft., Oreogn's tallest.

jjaba.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tragic story, indeed.

Most interesting is a drive from Seattle down through California. Throughout Washington, Mt. Ranier is visible. Throughout Oregon, Mt. Hood dominates the horizon. Then in northern California, Mt. Shasta is in your view seemingly forever. Volcanos all, it makes for quite a scenic trip.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 774
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it common for climbers to be on Mt. Hood this time of year? Seems like summer would be a safer time, less snow and more daylight.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Seems like summer would be a safer time ...

That's what the local sheriff was saying on CNN. I think they're trying to use the publicity to educate the public. That's good.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 736
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were listening to a discussion on NPR the other day about that very thing. Bearing in mind I don't climb anything higher than a stepladder, as I understand it winter climbing is not uncommon, but climbing in November and December is not recommended because we get a goodly number of storms this time of year, enough so that folks in Seattle tend to make alternate plans for their Thanksgiving dinner in case the power goes out.

The folks on Mt. Hood were experienced climbers who had done winter climbs, but picked an unfortunate time to go. Everybody and his uncle out here knew a big one was coming, and apparently the window they were climbing in left no margin for error, and the injury to Kelly James may have been that error.....

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Douglasm! I've been away from the news most of the day, and just learned that the search and rescue effort has been called off when I logged in. This really was a roller coaster ride, watching from afar, with such high optimism and hope because these guys really were experienced by all accounts, as well as terrific persons, and then seeing that hope shattered with the finding of Kelly James. And now having to call off the search without locating Nikko and Brian...and in the midst of the holidays. I can't even imagine what the families and friends are going through. They will definitely be in the thoughts and prayers of many people during this season of thanks and praise and celebration.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4642
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Search crews were up on Mt. Hood again Friday. The weather window had cleared for a few hrs. and somebody spotted a distrubed spot in the snow. Turned out to be a rock formation.

Ray1936 knows the beauty of the PNW. A volcanic mtn. running straight up from sea level to 11,239 ft. with a pointed top is a site to be seen all right.

jjaba, Far Westsider.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.