Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Looking for a New Car « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I'd reach out to the forum to see if anybody knew of any deals going on right now. Is anybody still offering 0% APR on anything? I haven't been able to find anything particularly motivating yet. I'm looking for a basic sedan. Something along the lines of a Cobalt, Focus, Mazda3.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 859
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the end of the month, quarter and year. The manufacturers are over run with inventory (except the Japanese brands). When you go to sit down with the salesperson, don't let them "go ask their manager" if this price or that package can go for X$. Tell them "If you get up and leave me here, I'm getting up and leaving this dealership, and never coming back." They are big boys and girls, they know what they can and can't do. These are hungry times, take advantage of it.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about going near the end of the month? I imagine that its a bit more tilted to the buyer when the salesman hasn't hit their goal and in walks a potential customer.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11047
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents just bought a new Chrysler 300 the other day, killer deal on a 2006 for $24,000 out the door. The interest rate they offered was like 4.99% and they offered something rediculous like 63 month payments. Now is the time to buy a brand new 2006, as they are trying to make way for 2007's.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with buying a left over is that since the replacements are available, it is already considered a year old. Lets say for instance you want to trade it in a year from now. The '08 models will be out and your '06 is considered two years old. The money you save in the purchase is lost in instant depreciation. If you plan to drive it for years until it dies like I do, then it's not a problem. If you like to get a new car every couple years, then it's a problem. I think this is one reason so many people are ending "upside down" on their car loans.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11049
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents keep their cars a good 10 years, so it's not a problem.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call Eric C at All Deeby Dodge. DCX is dumping trucks on smoking lease deals right now. The fuel consumption will be offset by a cheap lease price.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't get a Escalade,people seem to think its a space shuttle.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guy in my office just leased a VW Toureg (sp?). very nice. apparently VW is aggressively going after "Big 2" drivers. They have a cash pool available to dealers to use as incentives to snag a domestic driver. I'm sure there are some limitations, but VW ate my friend's remaining lease payments to get him out of his Denali and into a Toureg. GM wouldn't match the offer. might be worth checking out.

(Message edited by higgs1634 on January 03, 2007)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I look for low-milage lease cars. My last purchase was a 2003 Sable with 9,000 miles that was turned in August 2005.

I ran a car check on it, found no damage was done to it and bought it for about $11,000. Not a bad price for a $26,000 car with 9,000 miles on it.

I don't need new. Since cars depreciate the money looks better in my bank account than in my driveway.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second what Toolbox said. Eric C is a good guy.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone. I ended up going with a Mazda 3. They gave me a decent amount for my trade in and my S-Plan discount brought the price down a bit. So far I'm liking it.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mazda3 is a superb car. Good choice!

Did you get the 2.3L or the 2.0L motor? Which transmission? Sedan or Wagon?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.