Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » ALICE COLTRANE R.I.P. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 767
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swamini Turiyasangitananda Alice McLeod Coltrane died yesterday. Don't have details yet.

Born in Detroit on August 27, 1937, Alice McLeod was a gifted pianist who studied from age seven. She had awesome chops and developed a rep around town as a Bud Powell disciple with her own special touch. Her brother Jackie McLeod was known around town as a great champion of jazz, a hipster whose devotion to the music and it's practitioners was all-consuming.
As a young woman she played in The Premiers, an quartet specializing in jazz/novelty numbers. Alice sang as well as played piano. She married vocalist Kenny "Pancho" Hagood but the union ended in divorce. As a member of Terry Gibbs' group in the early 1960s she met John Coltrane, whom she later married and 'replaced' McCoy Tyner in 'Trane's group.
After Trane's death she continued her devotion to Eastern spiritual practices and created some really interesting music. She played Harp, Piano, and B-3 in performances. Detroit was often graced with her presence.
Alice was a modest, kind woman who created beautiful music. We shall not look upon her like again.
Top of pageBottom of page

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 588
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting, Jimg.

I actually liked one (or more) of those late recordings with JC that I used to have. Many others did not, preferring his earlier, evolutionary periods, as did I.

But I recall them as being very outside...exhilarating and euphoric, layering her harp and piano skills with John's incredible, spiritually inspired blowing and phenomenal percussion (Elvin? Rashied Ali?). I believe they were his last recordings. Ascencion, indeed.

RIP, Alice and gratitude for her dedication to a gifted man and their art.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.