Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Hello everyone from Quebec « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroiterwannabe
Username: Detroiterwannabe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just want to say hi to all of you. I am reading this forum quite often and looking at all the pictures posted.

I guess I was probably a Detroiter in another life because this city is just fascinating me.

I work for an Automotive parts manufacturer here in Quebec City and I went in Detroit for business about 5 times but never got a chance to visit what I wanted like the old assembly plant, the Henry Ford museum, etc.

I also heard good things about Detroit lately, that it is doing better and better. I am really happy for you.

So, I am 29 years old and I am a Detroit fan ! I also like the Redwings and the Pistons but my heart is still my our ex-team, the Nordiques, which are in Colorado now.

I wish you guys the best and I'll let you know next time that I will be around for business or vacation !!

By the way, sorry if my English is not perfect, I was born and raised in a French environment.

Cheers !!

(Message edited by DetroiterWannabe on January 19, 2007)

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome!! Sorry about that Colorado thingy....Don't worry about your language skills, most of the posters here are semi-illiterate anywayz. Be prepared to get piped aboard the "Good Ship Detroit Rises!!!"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7913
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Wannabe.

Your English is worlds better than my French.

How did you find this site?!

Cheers-backatcha!

Detroiterwannabe

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I found this site doing a search on Google.

I was looking for pictures of old assembly plants in the Detroit area. So I started to read a lot about Detroit and a new passion was born.

I think Detroit is very attractive and full of rich histories.

I will continue to read and look at all your pictures.

I have a big passion about cars and all that is related to it but mostly the American assembly factories.

Up to now, I went to Detroit(the Jeep factory), Flint(Delphi), Grasslake(Tenneco), Jackson(just to sleep at an hotel) and Warren(we had a cold forming plant but sold it). We now have sales office in Troy so I will probably go there sooner or later.

I will also try to show you some pictures of Quebec City full of snow !

Yann

(Message edited by DetroiterWannabe on January 19, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3462
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bienvenue Detroiterwannabe!

Sorry about Colorado.... you can have it back if you want!

But not Celine Dionne.... she's ours now, and we're keeping her! :-)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6132
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome. Who do you work for?

Detroiterwannabe

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would take the Nordiques back but definitely not Celine !!

The company I work for is Maxtech Powder Metal, division of Maxtech Mfg. www.maxtech-mfg.com

We mainly manufacture exhaust components out of stainless steel powder metal.

Cheers guys and have a nice weekend !

Gannon

Post Number: 7924
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely remember a division of a supplier one of my best friends works for being involved in powder metal. I don't know if Polytech was the parent corporation...but their sister firm was Powdered Metal Casting something or other. As a closet materials applications freak, I found it fascinating.

They were doing major engine pieces, maybe blocks!

I hadn't realized the technology included powderized STAINLESS. Realistically, you could 'cast' stainless body parts with VERY intricate mounts...I'm sure John DeLorean would've just LOVED to have your technology when he made the DMC-12.

Would've solved his problem of all the mounting rivets dissolving as a sacrificial anode! Plus, it might've been easier to match body panels repairing an accident.

So...these stainless powder castings don't have that brushed surface of standard stainless, right? Can the surface by mirrored?!

Have you been able to powder chrome yet?!

Detroiterwannabe

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the former name of our company is Precitech, what is the name of your friend ?

Powder metal can give you a very nice surface finish, like 0.8ra which is similar to honing which is a very expensive process.

I could talk about that for hours !!! We should all have a beer somewhere !!

Gannon

Post Number: 7925
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure your business trips include a Thursday night stay, and you can drop into a Forum Social Club meet. We won't talk shop there...I already have a reputation with the irregulars.

But I am a free-form conceptual associative thinker...and might be able to consider some unique applications...there are many solutions available from this powdered metal processing.

Was Precitech ever associated with Polytech Netting of Troy?!

That would be TOO much of a co-incidence.

Please don't tell me you know Don Moore.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 825
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"free-form conceptual associative thinker" = "I like to talk. A lot."

Gannon

Post Number: 7930
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The talking is merely evidence, Cheddar. I actually DON'T like to talk. I like to perceive and peruse. If I could be a wall-flower I would.

The analyses just spill out or my head would burst. Think of it like a pressure-cooker valve.

You saw me in action at Vivio's. One thing leads to another...and so on.

It just doesn't quite quit until I fall asleep or self-medicate or both.

Been that way all my life, I've even got a complaint letter from my seventh grade teacher to prove it...and other than sugar there was NO self-medication happening back then!

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 829
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, I'm just fucking with ya and I get a 100 word response. Keep self-medicating...:-)

Gannon

Post Number: 7935
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm out.

Thanks for the grin...I'm extremely sensitive about this affliction.

Detroiterwannabe

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know Don Moore and Précitech was not associated with Polytech Netting of Troy. Sorry.

But anyway, it was nice chatting with you guys.

Have a nice day !

Gannon

Post Number: 7941
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good, it was too great a co-incidence anyways!

heh

Aiw

Post Number: 6133
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maxtech, I've been in to the Ontario office, I've also met your Detroit area sales rep :-)

I'm in the expedited shipping business.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonjour, et bienvenu

Mon français est un peux rouillé et ce n'est pas la même langue comme au Québec, mais du joli pays de la Belgique. J'ai vie ici a Détroit depuis 2001 et j'aime cette ville pour beaucoup de raisons, surtout pour l'architecture formidable et les gens. Quelle coincidence, je travaille pour une compagnie qui dessin et produit des systèmes "exhaust aftertreatment", une division de DaimlerChrysler ici a Détroit, donc très similaire à ta branche. Peut-être un jour nous allons se rencontrer "in business".

Et oui, j'aimerais bien voir des photos de Quêbec-Ville, c'est une ville que je veux absolument visiter un jour.

(Message edited by ghetto_butterfly on January 20, 2007)

Detroiterwannabe

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great !!

Aiw, you met Bill or John or maybe Kevin ? And you went to our factory in Waterloo, Ontario ? What a coincidence !!

Ghetto_butterfly, I am happy that you like Detroit, maybe one day I will have the guts to move !! Cause I could get a job pretty easily but I am not ready to move yet.

Thanks all for your warm welcome !!

Yann

Aiw

Post Number: 6134
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Bill, I met him at a trade show. And yes, I've been in to both plants in Waterloo.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.