Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Where do you get vinyl records pressed 'round here? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lylegun
Username: Lylegun

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking to produce 10-12 12" records with full cover artwork, shrink wrap, etc.

Who does this in Detroit and how much do you think it would cost?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3595
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Murphy, who posts on this side sometimes, is your man. He mainly posts on SoulfulDetroit so I shout out over there is sure to raise him.

Ron Murhpy is the top vinyl master cutter in the D, cutting masters for many of Detroit's techno legends. He also is a huge authority on Detroit soul music and the author of the Fortune Records webisode on SoulfulDetroit.

He doesn't do the cover and shrink wrap stuff but can point you to the people who can. Get your master from him and you will be on your way.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was an archer records in detroit that may still be in biz. If you want high quality sound stan ricker out of calif is still doing it.He mastered many mobil fidelity records and his prices are very reasonable.stanricker.com

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 759
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell's right. SD would be the place to ask. That's where the people who know the answer would be.

Are you working on a project or are you looking to re-issue something?

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Lowell is not exactly right.If you want high quality sound there is no one in detroit that is going to come close to stan ricker at mastering vinyl; that is just the way it is.

Stan has remastered, ELO,Sinatra, Led Zep and countless others and has done mastering for several major orchestras.

If audiophile sound is not what you are after then there are any number of places available.And if it has to be someone from Detroit then of course that limits it. But if audiophile sound is what you are looking for then no one in Detroit is going to deliver that.

Lylegun
Username: Lylegun

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In response to Doug's question, and to clarify my intentions . . .

My band just recorded our first EP at the White Room downtown (one straight 24-hour recording session, btw) and while our small (Lilliputian-small) label will be getting us a press run of 1000 cd's, I like to have 10-12 vinyls available only at the cd release party as kind of an exclusive one-off deal.

The same artwork found on the cd's will be on the records, so that, I think, would just be a matter of re-formatting. But, I would like to get somewhat creative with the disc (color vinyl or clear vinyl, maybe).

Whether we do it or not rests solely on how much it would cost me. The label will master the tracks, but I don't know if that type of mastering is what is needed in the production of a vinyl - I'm as ignorant about the process as you can get. I could always get the label to pony up the cash if it's reasonable but still out of my personal price range, but I'm sure the cost would just be added to the label's recoupable funds so I'd rather not be in the hole another $1000.

Hope this gives you a better idea....

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.