Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Need advice on buying a new PC « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 603
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just did the taxes and found I am getting a good refund. I think I will spoil myself with a new PC. I like the PC Mac commercials. I am a lifetime windows IBM Compatible MS user, will I like transitioning to an Apple, or should I stick with the IBM compatible? Any brand suggestions?

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you already have a decent monitor, keyboard and mouse, you are certainly going to enjoy getting good bang-for-your-buck by getting a Mac Mini. Or if you wish to spend a little more, an iMac would be very nice too especially because of the space-saving form-factor.

Otherwise, sticking with a Windows PC, I believe you will be fine going with major vendors like Dell and HP.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8278
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roth IRA if it isn't maxed out.

Jacob_marley
Username: Jacob_marley

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>> Roth IRA if it isn't maxed out

Great advice.
The cornerstone of how the truly wealthy got that way, besides minimizing the amount of taxable income they realize as much as possible, is by maximizing their investments in tax advantaged assets ... roths, pension plans, real estate, etc.

If you do get a computer, definitely only buy just what you need for your purposes.
Computer equipment depreciates very quickly, and the cost of the same technology you pay, say, $1000 today may only be worth $700 by August. And definitely just buy the tower ... keep your old monitor, keyboard etc.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mac mac mac. Buy a Mac. Unless you like viruses!

*written on a lovely new Intel iMac that is smoking hot*

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. Always have been a Mac person. Would never change.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 959
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should you buy one make sure you buy one in the City. For example a CompUSA and a Office Depot are within the City limits on Southfield and Ford Rd.

Support Detroit jobs when you can!

Cambrian

Post Number: 610
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The monitor is a newer 15" flat screen w/ integrated speakers my folks gave me when mom upgraded to the 19" flat. It works for me, but when my daughter plays solitaire on it, the monitor hibernates after a few minutes. Probably because I did not get the power cord with it, so I just swiped the one from the cable box. I'll bring it with me when I buy the new tower to get the correct power cord. The key board works fine but all the key letter buttons are worn off. I run MS Office 97 on my old tower, can I load that to the Apple, or do I need to buy an office suite compatible to Macs? Are there Detroit computer stores on the east side? Yes viruses are an issue, I do a lot of surfing, and the old PC takes about 20 minutes to boot up now, some of it's viruses, and some of its to do with the hardware being 7 years old.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My laptop is a Mac PowerBook G4 and my desktop is a Dell. If I could put ESRI's ArcMap programs onto a Mac (without having to run a dual operating system), I would have switched my desktop to a Mac as well... basically, I have never had any issues with my Mac and just navigating around the OS is much easier (once you get used to it after the switch). And like said previously by others, I also have had no problems with viruses on my Mac.

But if you use any specialized programs, make sure they are compatible with Mac before you make the switch... save yourself some future headaches.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zzz...

Go with a PC. Don't believe the Mac hype.

* Viruses - Yup, it's true. There are a load of viruses out there that would love to do some sort of damage to your computer. However, if you're a smart computer user, a virus isn't going to affect you.

Don't download mysterious files from people that you don't know. Don't visit questionable websites that make you install plugins you've never heard of to browse their content (like websites that post illegal serial numbers, movies, games, etc). Don't click on banners that say you've won a free laptop because you're the 1,000,000,000,000th visitor.

Did various incarnations of the Windows operating systems have flaws that only an incredibly small percentage of the population would be able to take advantage of. Yes, however, once Microsoft learned of a problem, hotfixes/updates were available to take care of thing.

It's all common sense. However, a lot of people aren't computer savvy, which Apple (in my opinion) knows and is trying to take advantage of.

* Macs are better than PCs for desktop publishing, digital photography, and video editing applications - Just not true. While each operating system might have their own exclusive software (ie, Final Cut), most major software developers have come out with versions of their titles that work on both PC and Mac.

Infact, Adobe, the maker of highly used photo/video software, not too long ago stated that PCs are actually faster than Macs.

This claim was due to a performance comparison of a then top-of-the line 2.53GHz Dell Precision Workstation versus an equally decked-out dual-processor Power Mac G4 running at 1GHz. The single-processor Dell Precision crushed the Mac in every test.

* Gamer? Definitely don't choose a Mac if you're a gamer. You're just never going to get the same amount of choices if you end up going with a Mac.

* Windows Vista - There has been a lot of wait and see stances in regard to Windows Vista. Claims of security, compatibility, or just plain stability. The same thing happened when Microsoft rolled out XP in 2001.

However, in comparing the two in terms of launch, I have to say that things went much smoother with the Vista launch. I've experienced no problems whatsoever in terms of compatibility with my hardware or software.

It's also a very graphically beautiful. And no, you won't need a very powerful PC to take advantage of the graphical upgrades to the operating system.

It's also much easier to work with. Definitely a more people friendly operating system.

Organizing the digital music library is easy and sharing it with my PC in the living room is a breeze. I can also plug in many many different USB devices and it will be recognized without having to install any software.

I'd recommend a system with either Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate.

Any questions? :-)

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Organizing the digital music library is easy and sharing it with my PC in the living room is a breeze. I can also plug in many many different USB devices and it will be recognized without having to install any software. "

Wow! You can actually do that on a PC now. Funny, I have been doing this with incredible ease and elegance on my Macs for years now.

The seamless integration of your life's needs with Apple's excellent standard iLife software (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and many others) is something Vista and Dell still do not have down. Apple will always be a couple of years ahead of the disconnected PC world.

Oldredfordette,

Great to find something we completely agree on. Macs for life!

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian,

Check this link. The Mac geniuses are excellent. They will take care of your entire data transfer if you buy your Mac from the Apple Store. Just take your PC in with you when you purchase your Mac. They provide excellent education on working with the new Mac OS. You won't need much help though. It's very intuitive.

Remember, Mac--hip, cool, urban. PC--dorkish corporate type

Twelve Oaks or Somerset

http://www.apple.com/macosx/sw itch/

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll have to upgrade your Office software. You can run a windows program (Paralells will allow you to install and run your Windows) on the intel Macs but it will slow you down. If you decide to switch, switch for real.

The test Matt quoted was run on computers two generations ago.

If you want to play games, buy a games machine.

Docmo is right, the iLife suite is the most wonderful suite of programs available.

If you want to spend a portion of every day working virus control, be my guest. I can spend that time being productive.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 962
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dana not many folks run GIS software, only us geeks!

Matt

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow! You can actually do that on a PC now. Funny, I have been doing this with incredible ease and elegance on my Macs for years now.

Actually, so have I. I just wanted to point out a fact that Macphiles bring up that just isn't true.

quote:

The seamless integration of your life's needs with Apple's excellent standard iLife software (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and many others) is something Vista and Dell still do not have down. Apple will always be a couple of years ahead of the disconnected PC world.

Yes, because when I want to create a professional looking film and export it, I don't turn to Adobe Premiere or Adobe After Effects (industry standard tools). I turn to iMovie and iDVD. It's true!

quote:

Remember, Mac--hip, cool, urban. PC--dorkish corporate type

Wow, more ridiculous hype. I bet you've downloaded copies of those lame "Hi, I'm a Mac - I'm a PC" commercials, haven't you?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I want to create a professional looking film I use Premiere too. If my niece, who has very little time or inclination to learn that complicated software, wants to make a little movie of her children to send around the family, she can use iMovie. She learned to use it in an afternoon of coaching, and her mother can see her grandchildren now at the click of her one button mouse.

So here's your choice, spend your time futzing around with a system that might bug out, and only be able to use high end, learning curved software or, buy a computer that you can use out of the box, that will not get viruses (although to be honest, I always feel I'm encouraging some scumbag to write the virus that will finally break the wall) and you can play with all sorts of easy and fun products while also using the software you are familiar with. Whew!

Matt

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windows Vista hasn't crashed on me once since I installed it January 30. My system hasn't also slowed/bogged down either.

It was very buggy when I was testing it in beta last summer, but that's to be expected. It was a beta.

And if you want to compare functionality of OSX vs. Vista, Vista has all those same goodies built right into it. I can create movies, slideshows, DVDs, seemlessly, just like OSX users.

However, this little debate is accomplishing nothing. It all just has to do with personal preference.

Cambrian

Post Number: 614
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may just try the apple to be different. Like my late great Uncle Matt said when asked why after a lifetime of buying Fords, he purchased his brand new '78 Caprice, he said "I just wanted to see what it was like to own a Chevy for once".

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For most general users today, the differences between Macs and PCs aren't major. Shop around at some brick-and-mortar stores and decide which machine you want for yourself. Then buy the one you choose as cheaply as you can elsewhere (online?--no sales tax usually).

OTOH, if you need to rely on PC-specific software applications, such as Adobe FrameMaker which have no current Mac versions and only want one computer, you would then go PC. Whichever way you go, make sure that you create a hard-drive partition or two for installing Linux so that you can use one version of that OS.

In addition, keep your older machines for use as possible file servers in a home network for backup purposes. But don't run all of them simultaneously if you desire to save on electrical energy consumption. I have an older P3 Dell as a file server which has three hard-drives that were scrapped out of different retired machines, giving an additional storage of 170 GB, plus having the capability of running other apps if my main unit or the ThinkPad are tied up (or elsewhere) doing other things.

And get an LCD monitor instead of a CRT. Best Buy is a very good place to compare various models. They have about twenty or more running as demos.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 12, 2007)

Cambrian

Post Number: 615
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically, I just run MS office. I use Word and XL, could use a photoshop program for the ebay pics.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep us posted Cambrian. If you go with a Mac and you need some help, I am married to my tech, and he's very good (and reasonable).

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't fall into the Marketing abyss generated by both Microsoft and Apple. Remember they are both global mega-companies trying to separate you from your hard earned money. Apple has done a wonderful job brainwashing it's followers into thinking they are an anti-corporation. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. They have a wonderful marketing campaign that allows them to net a higher premium for their just as shitty stuff. Microsoft is the evil empire, but at least they don't deny it.

List the Programs you use on a daily basis. Price out the box and applications to put together the system. Then buy the computer that costs the least that will run all the apps.

I use engineering applications that either won't run or are cost prohibitive on a mac.

The low market share of Macs drives up development costs for specialty applications.

Cambrian

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do ORF. I expect the return sometime in March and will go through with the purchase at that time unless some other emergency pops up requiring the money get spent on that.

About what would I spend on an Apple? I haven't started looking yet, but like LY, my dad buys his windows machines for his office cheap on the internet, for like $350 / tower. I don't mind spending a little more, I like the no viruses aspect. But it would be hard to justify spending double what dad spends on the internet.

Ndavies, I use Catia V5 for classes. I've considered buying a student copy, but since found out it's a very watered down version of what we would use in the real world or even class, so I decided not too.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you get a mini, you can keep your monitor and your keyboard/mouse. I'll check with the tech and ask him to work up a quick price. He uses a couple different online sources for hardware and software.

You'll want computer, extra RAM, iLife and Microsoft Works, right?

Ndavies

Post Number: 2439
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't worked with Catia. Our engineers on the hardware side use it here. We have both Windows and Unix versions of it. I don't know if Catia is available in Mac form.

Most of my heartburn comes from embedded system cross compilers and emulators. They almost never support the Mac.

I also use Mathworks Matlab, Simulink and Statflow extensively. They do have Linux, Unix and OSX versions.

Cambrian

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ORF, Microsoft Office is what I use. Works does not have all the features I need. Ask your husband/tech if I can load my copy of MS office 97 onto the new apple.

thx!

Ndavies

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you're going to be able to touch a new Mac for under $600.

And No you won't be able to load your windows version of Word onto a mac.

(Message edited by ndavies on February 12, 2007)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Load the Mac version of the OpenOffice.org suite and get much the same functionality as Office plus some that Office hasn't.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-M Y-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore. woa/wa/RSLID?mco=B3C47B0&nclm= Macmini
From the Apple Store. Note the iMac on the far right, a good price on an excellent computer.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall /families/macmini_intel/
$20 cheaper than the Apple Store with free shipping. They also offer Paralells which will allow you to load your Windows crap and run your Office and your games. TechBoy says I'm wrong, it will run at full speed.

These are quick prices. Food for thought. If you want us to look deeper, let me know.

Cambrian

Post Number: 619
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Get Parallels Desktop for only $9.99*" This is a patch that allows me to run windows programs, namely MS office 97?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PC emulators on a Mac work OK, but the Windows apps with them run far slower than they do on a Wintel box.

Cambrian

Post Number: 620
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so it would be advised to get the suite for the Apple? The 'Open Office'?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Paralells will allow you to run your Windows stuff. According to hubby, who installed it on a pal's new intel iMac, it runs at the same speed.

I'll ask him about the other in a bit. He's with a client.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I use both Office and OOo on a Wintel. OOo is available free and works on several OSs. But I also work with Office 2000 (never got 2003) for those functions that OOo cannot do. And I'm now evaluating Abode's InDesign so that I can work better along with graphic artists/editors who use that after I hand off any elaborate projects to them for publication instead of doing them totally (including making the PDFs) in-house. BTW, InDesign is available for use on both Macs and PCs.

I volunteer some time as a managing editor / technical editor on one of (Sun Microsystems sponsored) open-sourced OOo's two main documentation projects--OOoAuthors--and a small amount of time on the other--OOo Documentation Project. So, I'm more skilled with OOo and Adobe FrameMaker because they work better for writing/editing books than Word.

As a beta tester for Office 2007, Microsoft will give me a free copy of Office 2007 Pro for just attending its day-long seminar at Cobo on Tuesday. I heard they'll even feed us lunch in addition to a Continental brunch at 8AM.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 13, 2007)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i use InDesign for all my graphics work - what a fine page layout program it is.

Hugo8100
Username: Hugo8100

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, that Mac Mini is hardly a good deal or a "good" computer. You would be paying a premium for a small formfactor hardware and unless space is really a concern I wouldn't recommend it, especially if the person is looking to stretch their dollar. You can get twice the performance for that price with regular hardware. I built mine for under $600 (not counting the price of the OS and other software).

A computer is a tool. Make a list of tasks you will be using the computer for. If you can, write down a list of software you absolutely need to have. From there you can begin to choose the tool that fits the job best.

IIRC, Parallel Desktop requires that you have a copy of Windows. So you would still need to buy a copy of Windows. That Apple offers this at all should tell you that it's not the one size fits all solution mac advocates claim it to be.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian has Windows.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4223
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I love endless MAC vs. PC debates, it's like listening to Lutherans discuss the merits of that faith's various Synods, would someone explain the value of RAM MHz and hard drive RPM.

How much more powerful is 2MB of RAM at 667 MHz than at 533 MHz? How much more powerful is 100 GB hard drive at 7200 RPM versus 5400 RPM?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today's processors utilize plenty of pipelining (parallel processing). So, whatever CPU/system is better or not depends upon the architecture of the particular CPU versus another. So this can become quite involved and even the benchmarking tests may indicate one is better at one task but not at another.

Consult the major magazines for their own lab reports.

The hard-drive speed usually only enters when an application/data or the OS is loaded into RAM or when virtual memory is used. It's best to avoid having to go into virtual memory and fill all or nearly all the RAM capacity of the system because every app developer will find ways to get their apps to run better, usually at the cost of using more RAM--not less.

The figures you put out seem more in line with small microcontrollers today--and not modern computers--which are found in electronic devices, cell phones, auto "computers," etc.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to suck the life out of the discussion, LY.

I love Macs, PC's suck.

there, that's better.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Q1AfL0Tsqp8&NR

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one's mentioned Linux yet? How disappointing.

I'd say hire one of us geeks to build you a system for around $600, install Ubuntu and the open-source clones of all the common programs you need and bam, there you have it: a custom PC built for you.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2559
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No one's mentioned Linux yet? How disappointing.

Oh? Doesn't this count?
quote:

...Whichever way you go, make sure that you create a hard-drive partition or two for installing Linux so that you can use one version of that OS.

Sticks

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, LY, skipped over one sentence in a 42-post thread at 1 in the morning. And even if they go with a full Windows partition, live CDs are still fun to play around with.

Doctors
Username: Doctors

Post Number: 711
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just get a mac.

My g4 ibook makes computing a much happier experience.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone mentioned ubuntu I`ve been messing around with it for a while now its a great OS.
the thing I dont like about linux is the limited amount of programs you can find for it .. for example if you want a picture editor for windows you can use Adobe photoshop, corel , jasc , paint.net etc etc for linux the number you can use is limited

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are thousands of open-sourced software applications on Linux. Try SourceForge or other sites.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Apple Store has a refurb Intel iMac for $749 the other day. You must keep your eyes on that site if you are looking for a computer.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

consumerreports.org

they will tell you everything you need to know.

Sticks

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

for example if you want a picture editor for windows you can use Adobe photoshop, corel , jasc , paint.net etc etc for linux the number you can use is limited

Get Gimp. It's free, but so are those other programs if you know where to look, *wink nudge*.

Doctors

Post Number: 712
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of any newsreader software for the ipod?

Ddaydave

Post Number: 448
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I`ve tried gimp sticks and wasn`t impressed with it ..Livernoisyard I`ve messed with many programs from SourceForge some are great others are pretty lame ..
one program I do use from there is gaim..
I`ve tried a more then a few flavors if linux the next one I`m going to try is debian ..

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 329
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my dear man, go for a mac. i was a tried and true PC only kind of man - used to be a complete geek about it, did programming in visual basic, and was in the middle of building myself a pc, and then in college, to be in art school, it was mandatory to have a mac... so i got one... oh my god. i'm never going back to pc land...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3698
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Basically, I just run MS office. I use Word and XL, could use a photoshop program for the ebay pics."

If that is the case either platform is fine. I would say buy a weekly loss leader at BestBuy. If you want to be swank at the Starbucks get Mac laptop.

We use both in our business. I mostly use wintel because most of what I do is web related. Just about all apps I use come out for Windows first and rarely ever for mac. The customer base almost all uses Windows so I have to speak their language first.

I have no loyalty whatsoever. Whatever gets does the job done the bestest and cheapest gets my nod. I don't go near millionaires vs. billionaires cheering matches.

Mac has long learned to sell image and there is a lot of money in that. We know that well here in Detroit. Car buyers will pay huge premiums for an inferior car as long as they like the look and it runs and stops.

Be honest now, if you needed emergency tech support, who would you want to show up -- the hip Mac kid or the nerd?

As far as Macs and viruses go, I view that as a disaster waiting to happen.

Meanwhile, in the background, this whole discussion is taking place on an apache linux system.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Lowell, the day some bitter little kid cracks the internal wall, we Mac-ettes will be singing the blues.

My Mac tech is no hip kid! He's grooooooovy.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Apple the "Wal-Mart" of the computer industry, given Steve Jobs' recent anti-union blast?
quote:

Non-Union Jobs
February 23, 2007; Page A10

If Apple CEO Steve Jobs had praised teachers unions as the backbone of public education in the U.S., it would have made the front pages. Instead, at an education conference in Austin, Texas, Mr. Jobs offered some constructive criticism of teachers unions and barely anyone noticed. Sounds like news to us.

"I believe that what is wrong with our schools in this nation is that they've become unionized in the worst possible way," said Mr. Jobs during a Q-and-A session on technology in the classroom. "This unionization and lifetime employment of K-12 teachers is off-the-charts crazy."

The real crisis in public education, he noted, has nothing to do with the amount of technology in the classroom. It's the fact that union work rules prevent principals from firing the bad teachers and rewarding the good ones. "Here's the problem," said Mr. Jobs, using a business analogy: "What kind of person could you get to run a small business if you told them, when they came in, they couldn't get rid of people they thought weren't any good in the first place? Or they couldn't pay people three times as much when they got three times as much work done?"

Regular readers of these columns will find nothing particularly shocking in Mr. Jobs's broadside. Still, it's nice to hear such sentiments coming from a titan of industry, especially his.

The latest National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) report was released yesterday. The dismal results are what we've come to expect from an elementary and secondary public education system in the vice-grip of the National Education Association and its political acolytes. According to the NAEP survey, nearly 40% of high-school seniors scored below basic level on the math test, and fewer than a quarter of 12th graders rate proficient.

Except for high-skill immigrants, this would be Apple's future labor pool. Mr. Jobs is right to point the finger at the union stewards of public education. And fellow business leaders, who have as big a stake in this matter, would do well to lend him public support.

http://online.wsj.com/article_ print/SB117219910015216918.htm l

BTW, Jobs is a fairly big contributor to Dem politicians so this can't be simply dismissed as partisan. Apple is also quite big in the educational market so this is likely to hurt him in the wallet. Perhaps Apple's close ties to the educational system is what gave Jobs the insight to make the comments he did.

Back on topic, follow Lowell's advice and get all the computer you need from the big-box's weekly <$500 special.

Doctors

Post Number: 713
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And this gets more macs in the classrooms...how?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2641
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An alternative is to roll your own desktop PC using the components available at the brick-and-mortar computer shops in the area or via the Internet. One such place is on Telegraph, and there are others in Macomb and Oakland Counties.

Now that the 64-bit CPUs have been around for a time, I might build my own, using many of the refinements that the gamers put into their machines. Going that extra distance allows your system to have a longer economic lifetime which justifies the extra initial cost.

If going the tablet/laptop route, either purchase an older one used or a refurbished new unit. The refurbished route can drop the price down 50% or even more. Once a brand-new unit gets used and returned for any of a number of reasons, it usually becomes available as a refurbished unit.

Comp USA has an auction site for their refurbished units where I bought a couple back in 2001 for only 35% of the price they were charging for the same new units in their brick-and-mortars. The S&H ran about $20 from Dallas, but without any MI sales tax being charged, at least back then.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 26, 2007)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cambrian,

My husband/tech sez to tell you there are bargains galore right now if you are still interested in buying a Mac.

Cambrian

Post Number: 911
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ended up using the tax return for other things. I fixed a leaking roof, paid some bills, it's about all gone save a few hundred bux. Maybe next year!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No good using your computer and holding an umbrella over your head at the same time. Oh well.

Cambrian

Post Number: 914
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, that's exactly where it was leaking too was in my home office / dining room, right over my chair.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 628
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey Cambrian,

My husband/tech sez to tell you there are bargains galore right now if you are still interested in buying a Mac.

Where is the 'bargains galore' at ? Please share more details. Thanks.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Apple Site - look for refurbs. It changes day to day so keep going back.

I am writing this on an Intel iMac refurb - screaming fast, elegant and user friendly.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 708
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Otherwise, sticking with a Windows PC, I believe you will be fine going with major vendors like Dell and HP."

That pretty much summed it up. However, if you're hard pressed to find a MAC, then try Apple.

Ddaydave

Post Number: 465
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a new version of Ubuntu has been released I love it many great improvements ..I dual boot and run both windows and Linux and have to say I will most likely switch to Ubuntu before I upgrade to vista ..
dell just started selling computers with this operating system .. Dave

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.