Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Detroit Wiki « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an interest in making a Detroit wiki -

either call it:

"redetroit.com"
or
"detroitcentric.com"

i had this idea when i realized that alot of people LIVING in detroit don't even know what detroit has to offer... sure there is:

googlemaps listings
motorcityrocks.com
detroityes.com
metro times
and
modeld

among others, but i don't think any of these sites fully does what i'm trying to do.

wouldn't it be nice to have a browsable site... you could look at places to eat, venues, sites, detroit made products, etc... all created by detroiters themselves...

i'm willing to write most of the site, and HOST the damn thing, but i would need, aside from volunteers to make it an official wiki, someone who knew how to do the cgi?

anyone interested, have better ideas, have questions, or willing to help?

this would be a one stop shop for everything detroit... newcomers would just have to know to come to the site, and then be able to find out... "wow, there is a great little greasy spoon middle eastern place called harmonie way" or "wow there is cheese-funk djing at jumbo's some thursday nights" or "there is a critical mass in detroit?" or "there is a newish venue called the bo-home"

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn-

Making it my mission to visit every sit down restaurant in Detroit City. 17 left and tons of reviews. Would love to help.

The Kid

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 603
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sound idea, Andylinn. Is there anything like that available now by major media companies, such as newspapers, magazines, radio, TV and web entities(Yahoo, Google, MSN, Wikipedia and etc.) ?

How does someone contact you to offer help ?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

via this board. do either of you know how to create the cgi portion of a wiki?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you mean by creating the WIKI CGI? Do you mean the Actual WIKI software? Why create it when it can be downloaded for free? There are multiple versions written for different environments available.

Here's a list I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C omparison_of_wiki_software

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there is much existing CMS software to use requiring little programming. If you need help with other CGI, I am willing to help.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.