Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » ::: FSC Meetups ::: » FSC for Thursday, March 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11311
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll be meeting up at The Well this Thursday. I asked around a bit and concluded that kicking things off around 8 pm work out better for many. Last night we had people from Flint and Waterford, both of which are quite a haul.

For those that can't make it until later, don't worry, there are plenty that don't show up until 10 or 11 pm. It's almost like shift change to be honest, as many start departing around 10-11, replacements start arriving around the same time.

Some have suggested that keeping it downtown will allow them to come out more often. For others, I'm sure having an easy downtown destination helps them to find the place if they are unfamiliar with Detroit. We'll play it by ear, and mine will always be open listening for suggestions as to where people want to meet.

Look forward to seeing you all next week at The Well!

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who's bringing the rump roast???? Will the Terrym be in attendance?

(Message edited by detroitrulez on February 28, 2007)

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as The Well is open, remember last time.

Supersport

Post Number: 11354
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if like last time, call me and we'll relocate. I'd say we handled the situation quite well to be honest, mostly because Toolbox was all over it! :-)

Anyways, I think I may stop into downtown Eph McNally's tomorrow before the Well, around 6:30-7, in case anybody is interested.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe have a backup location, like the Park Bar where we met last week? That place seemed pretty happy we were there and it was a nice place crowd wise.

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't make it. :-(

Supersport

Post Number: 11356
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip,

The Well was only closed for two days for some sort of quick renovation. I know for a fact it was opened back up later in the week. Does that mean you're gonna make the drive on down again this week?

As for the Park Bar, I'm sure Jerry greatly appreciated our presence. I was pondering us just switching back and forth between those two bars for awhile. The nice thing about The Well is they have $2 beers on Thursday, which is nice for us po, unemployed folks.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh, 2 buck beer,, say no more!
I had $2 Cola at the Park, free refills, so I was happy. Wonder why they don't do that with beer?
I doubt I can come down again unless someone is coming from Flint. I would like to tag along if they are. I find it too hard to drive at night, especially on the freeway.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going between just the Park and the Well is an awful idea. One of the best parts of FSC is checking out new bar and expanding horizons... (Dakota, Abicks, Apex, Nemos, Stonehouse, Bally Cor, LJs, Cadieux, Comet, Old Miami, Honest Johns, MCB, Bronx, DBC.... and other small business who appreciate our business)

Change that aspect and it may be time for a coup d'etat.

(Message edited by Bumble on February 28, 2007)

Supersport

Post Number: 11358
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumble,

That's all fine and dandy, but just like in the past, and just like in recent times, when you rotate the bars too much, attendance dwindles.

Over the past few months attendance at these other bars was some times as few as 2 people, by ones own admission that they called Jeff when they showed up and nobody else was there. By keeping it in areas in which the highest concentration of people on here tend to live, or be knowledgable of the area, more people show up. The best turnouts ever have always been at The Well. The Park Bar last week ranks up there as too, but under extenuating circumstances.

By comparison, there were 3 of us at Anchor the week before. 3 or 4 of us at Foran's the week before that, not counting Synergy people who were there, 3 people at Old Miami the week before that, and about 5 the week before that at Motorcity Brewing Works. The numbers don't lie.

It was simply a suggestion, and one for a temporary solution to get more people out.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also a FSC at The Park Bar in early December when it first opened that was quite well attended without extenuating circumstances.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see the December Park event was the opening, so that is extenuating circumstances as we all know the people on this forum are all about supporting local businesses.

High turnout at forum nights has always been spotty during winter months because of the weather and people's lives, ETC.... Heck, even Jeff had missing a few the past few months. Forum night was not about lets see how many people we can get in a bar, it was about socializing and support local businesses (<- see plural as in more than the two bars which Sport currently loves and can find cheap beer at)

Supersport

Post Number: 11361
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Forum night was not about lets see how many people we can get in a bar, it was about socializing and support local businesses

I disagree. It has ALWAYS been about seeing how many people you can draw out, meeting new friends, and introducing people to Detroit. When only 2 or 3 people show up a few weeks in a row, something obviously needs to change.

You weren't at Motorcity Brewery, you weren't at Foran's, you weren't at Old Miami, nor were you at The Anchor. Unless you use a double handle on here, you weren't even at The Park Bar last week.

You are correct that even Jeff had been missing the nights out over the past few months. Perhaps it was partially because he was growing tired of showing up only to find one or two others making the trip out.

Feel free to run the show any time you feel the need to take over. I never said we'd alternate between The Well and Park, it was simply a suggestion, no different than how for many years now trips to the Well are almost exclusive during the summer months. One, because of their outdoor porch, two, because there is always a good turnout.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps a compromise, say, 2 or 3 times a month at downtown bars, but then go to other bars the remaining weeks. maybe even keep it regular, like the first thursday of the month is always at the well, and the third is always at the park bar or something like that. it may make it easier for some to plan ahead. of course, there may need to be some changes if one closes for a time like the well did not long ago, but as a general rule, i think it would help.

of course, i haven't been able to make it to any as of yet, and promise nothing for the future, but just making a suggestion...

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2465
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we continue to do it the way it has always been done. The rule was always pretty simple in the past. If you show up on Thursday, you get to place a vote for the next weeks location. The consensus ruled.

Since Itsjeff was usually there he had a big say in where we went. There should be no change in the way the next weeks location is picked simply because itsjeff is gone.

BTW, SS was one of the original instigators of the FSC. He was the cruise director long before Itsjeff did it. He is just returning to a post he had earlier abandoned. By my rough count Itsjeff was actually somewhere around the 4th or 5th cruise director of the FSC. Hopefully we won't have any more cruise director replacements due to death.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 714
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many confirmed we got tonight?

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan on being there about 8:30,,,, look forward to seeing everyone again.

Supersport

Post Number: 11364
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies,

You're right, we'll just let those who show have their say. I do plan on kicking things off around 8 pm though, so it allows long haulers an opportunity to come out and end the night at a reasonable time. I'm sure we'll always have a late night crowd rolling in at 10 pm or 11 pm though, sometimes closing the place out.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4115
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May be there...depends on how far i get on my mid term lol.

Cambrian

Post Number: 716
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the address for the Well?

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 683
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Well 1228 Randolph (Between Gratiot & Monroe)
313-964-0776

Supersport

Post Number: 11367
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1228 Randolph St. It's close to where Randolph, Broadway, and Gratiot all come together.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies --

Thanks for spreading the voice of reason and hospitality...

Ndavies

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ndavies --

Thanks for spreading the voice of reason and hospitality...

I must be slipping in my old age.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking the same thing.

Supersport

Post Number: 11369
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I must be slipping in my old age.

As is your memory. If I had the patience, I'd dig up links to all the old FSC meetings, just as you would do, so we wouldn't have to cover this topic again. haha

I was never cruise director, ItsJeff was the only cruise director. I will tell you this one time, so you may want to write it down and tuck it away somewhere NDavies.

1. Supersport - Forum Social Director
2. Jelk - Forum Dictator
3. KzooExpolorer - The Voice
4. ItsJeff - The Cruise Director, man BEHIND (lol) the voice, and a few other names I can't recall

Ndavies

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's alright sport, I'm sure you'll make a fine cruise director, even though you claim no experience.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry. I guess I'm a fair weather FSC fan. The weather really sucked out there tonight.

Supersport

Post Number: 11373
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell yeah the weather sucked, but it was a great night just the same. Some familiar faces, some new ones, and an old legend we haven't heard from in many years who appeared by chance. The roll call is as follows:

Ndavies
ErikD
Mikie
Cambryan
Track75
Gannon
Harmonie
Lowell
Eggsalad

Last but not least, Skipper, The Curmudgeon, TC, a long time legend around Detroit for decades. It was just by chance that I got to meet him. If not for another person present, I would have never known it was him, as he just so happened to drop into The Well. It was great to shake his hand and get an updated perspective on how "Skipper's rule" applies these days. I'll announce next week's destination via a new thread.

Some great conversations took place tonight, reminded me why I can

Cambrian

Post Number: 718
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was nice to meet you all. I suggest everyone on the forum ought to make it to some FSCs. It's nice to associate a face with the name. I hope Gannon can revive that water logged Audi. It was good talking with Mikie, Lowell, Track, Eric D and Harmonie. Good luck on your job search Sport. Make sure you put your resume on this site, lotso promising leads:

http://www.ihireengineering.co m/default.asp

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8494
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Muthafuck.

At least that flood made the news.

I've now removed the plugs and tried it about a dozen times, I finally quit from exhaustion about 4 a.m., got back at it around 10!

Each time, I discover yet ANOTHER arcane twist to the airflow path to the turbo and back that holds enough water to clog the engine!

It takes a nearly NOTHING quantity of water to lock up this >10 psi compression turbo-four 1.8L FIVE-VALVE per cylinder non-free-wheeling engine...only thing I'm fearing now is that damn turbo bearing. It was one of the few things that might've really soaked overnight, hope it didn't displace TOO much oil.

Moment it runs, I'm dashing up to the oil change place a mile away...we'll see how little damage I can cause from my stupidity. It didn't look like that much water, really.

So...no word yet, I had to come home and get a few other things done...like eat and check in here, yanno the PRIORITIES of life. Heh.

Damn, just looked outside to see a BLIZZARD. UGH. It is always something, isn't it?!

Great time last night...cheers, all.

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a great time last night, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again next week.

Erik_d, I sent you a copy of the letter that we spoke about this morning.

Harmonie, I counted 52 places on your list of "The Downtown 100" that I personally visited,,, I'll have to try to improve my score! Thanks for the information and the link.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.