Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Yacht Rock! Friday March 9th. - Park Bar « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hullo Fellow Smooth Music Fans,

I hope my correspondence finds you all in fine spirits. My Blue-Chip investments are just raging in this Bull Market Economy! I've just
purchased 300 shares of a new electronics company called "Apple Computer". I expect to mint money later this month (HAHA). Life is good, isn't it.

To celebrate our recent success (COME ON! How can you NOT make money in the Market these days) I would like to invite you all to my Yacht on the evening of Friday, March 9th. It's docked at 2040 Park Ave, Detroit. Come aboard when you like, but we'll "Steal Away" from the dock and go
"Sailing" around 10:30pm.

During our voyage we'll be enjoying the smooth sounds of Michael McDonald, Phil Collins, Steve Winwood, Bruce Hornsby and many other
"smooth" Adult Contemporary Artists. In addition to the smooth tunes coming out of my new Compact Disc player, there will be an ample supply
of nose-candy. I get so much done at work if I do a couple lines in the morning and another line during powerlunch.

-Captain Sharmaal

PS. Please wear your Boat Shoes, I just got the deck waxed and I don't want it scuffed up so early in the season. Sperry's and Ked's please!

PPS. I sold the Horizon last season and I've upgraded to the Azimut. The Azimut is 100' long, so it's got room for many, invite anyone and
everyone!

PPPS. Please wear your finest Seersucker. I like the way it sounds in the wind, it's relaxing.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8428
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd better have some Kenny G in that mix.

Stay off the white, man, it will come back to nip your productive ass somethin' fierce soon! (heh)

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the same awesome duo that were doing
Yacht Rock every Thursday on the patio at
Slows Bar BQ over last summer.
It's a bit early for them to launch their season no?

Sharmaal

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had no clue anyone else was doing this in the city!

My definition of "Yacht Rock" is a little more liberal. I really like to call it Adult Contempo, but Yacht Rock has a much better ring to it!

Like I mentioned, I'll include a little Bruce Hornsby and Don Henley. Maybe even a little Luther and Peabo!

Sharmaal

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO KENNY G!

Soulsauce
Username: Soulsauce

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

NO KENNY G!

::silently thanking the soprano saxophone gods::

Are you taking requests?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I had no clue anyone else was doing this in the city!

Jumbo's has a huge YC following, and has been playing it on their internet jukebox since the videos came out. Time to take a step out of the microcosm.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, I'll take requests. Please post them here so I have time to get any that I already don't have.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is YC?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is YC?

Good catch. YR is the correct spelling, isn't it? Anyways, point being, Yacht Rock get-togethers are nothing new in this city.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured with the location being Jumbos that the C stood for a naughty word.

Soulsauce

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides the obligatory Michael McDonald and Kenny Loggins, It'll be great if some of the following showed up sometime during the night:

Hall and Oates
Boz Scaggs
Steely Dan
Sergio Mendes
Michael Franks
James Ingram
Chicago
Smokey Robinson
Carly Simon
Pointer Sisters
Steve Miller Band
Fleetwood Mac
Lionel Richie
Roberta Flack
Journey

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yacht Rock get-togethers are nothing new in this city.

...maybe not new but maybe it's new to Sharmaal? In fact maybe he is new? Or maybe he wants everyone to think his idea is new? Maybe he want's everyone to think the idea was his? Maybe he just really wants to dress up like a sailor? Who knows?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2115
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I figured with the location being Jumbos that the C stood for a naughty word.

Code violations?

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like an awesome party! What a riot! I'm coming home that day for spring break, maybe me and a couple of my homies will come on down to rock the yacht.

Soulsauce

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget "The Pina Colada Escape."

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When they told me Detroit was the greatest Yacht Rock crowd in the world I said "Shit, Ive known that for ten years!"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8493
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sure, I'll take requests.

Bullshit. You shit on MINE.

Can't wait to see you next...heh.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wings
Dire Straits
Joe Cocker
Elvis Costello
Loe Reed
Rod Stewart
Tom Jones

Qweek

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and don't forget to play Free Bird!

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are these yacht rockers done regularly? i am not going to be anywhere near detroit that friday but would love to do some smooth music listening soon. wearing seersucker.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DO NOT clump poor Elvis Costello in with that roster of lame-o's. I've been reading in silence and horror, but I couldn't sit by any longer.

Qweek

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought the requests were supposed to be "enjoyable", sorry for horrifying you.

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't get it OldRed, The appreciation for this genre of music is for it's 70's cheeziness, not for great songwriting. Yacht Rock is all about camp, not nostalgia for a bygone era. Check out episodes of the short films "Yacht Rock" on Google video

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the musical sense, yacht rock refers to the highly polished brand of soft rock that emanated from Southern California during the late 1970s and early 1980s. In part, the term relates to the stereotype of the yuppie yacht owner, enjoying champagne and smooth music while out for a sail. Additionally, since sailing was a popular leisure activity in Southern California, many "yacht rockers" made nautical references in their lyrics and album artwork, particularly the anthemic track "Sailing" by Christopher Cross.

The foundation of the yacht rock scene was a local pool of versatile session musicians who frequently played on each other's records. This professionalism often gave yacht rock recordings a high level of sophistication in musical areas such as composition, arrangement, and instrumental skill.

The most popular yacht rock artists enjoyed massive commercial success. During its peak years, yacht rock dominated the Grammy Awards, with Christopher Cross and Toto sweeping the major awards in 1981 and 1983 respectively, feats consistently derided by Grammy prognosticators. [1] However, yacht rock was not a hit with most rock critics, who dismissed it as generic and Middle of the road, favoring such acts as The Clash and Elvis Costello instead.[2] (See Rockism.)

In developing the show Yacht Rock, creator J.D. Ryznar commented that the term was intended to describe the "more elite studio artists" of the period, such as Michael McDonald and Kenny Loggins.[3] David B. Lyons, who co-produced the show and played Koko Goldstein, noted that a friend of his devised the term "marina rock" in college to describe a more "working-class" group of artists that didn't achieve the same high profile, such as Seals and Crofts, Rupert Holmes, and Looking Glass.[4] However, despite the show's intentions, music journalists have begun using the term yacht rock to describe all of the similar-sounding music of the period, including bands such as Ambrosia, 10cc, and Player.[5]

While Ryznar and the show popularized the term yacht rock, it had existed previously. Its earliest-known Internet appearance came in a February 1994 Usenet posting, where a user explained that he had heard the term used to describe the music of Jimmy Buffett.[6]

Sharmaal

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulsauce...

Hall and Oates -yes
Boz Scaggs -yes
Steely Dan -yes
Sergio Mendes -no
Michael Franks -no
James Ingram -yes (good reminder)
Chicago -yes
Smokey Robinson -no
Carly Simon -no
Pointer Sisters -maybe
Steve Miller Band -no
Fleetwood Mac -no
Lionel Richie -yes
Roberta Flack -yes
Journey -no
Rupert Holmes (pinacolada) -YES!

Qweek...

Wings -maybe
Dire Straits -YES! (good reminder)
Joe Cocker -no
Elvis Costello -maybe
Loe Reed -no
Rod Stewart -yes (later stuff)
Tom Jones -no

For those of you that haven't seen the Yacht Rock "TV" show...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pnq Og6F9lak

Keep the requests coming! Hope to see you all there in your Boat Shoes and Pearls..

Soulsauce

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Smokey!???

::Clutches pearls::

What says "Yacht Rock" more than "Crusin'?"

Sharmaal

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The request lines are closed folks. I'm ironing my Khaki shorts as we speak!

Hope to see you all there!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.