Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » ::: FSC Meetups ::: » FSC Online « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since many people can't get to the real FSC gatherings, I thought it would be fun to have an online FSC meeting.

A little history. Back in the Arpanet days, a communications system was developed so university people could exchange information in real time. This evolved into IRC or Internet Relay Chat. This predates WWW by many years. IRC is a very popular facet of the internet but is unknown to many.

If you are not familiar with IRC, you will need a program. There are many, mIRC is by far the most popular but it cost a few dollars to get the full version. I personally like Pirch98. Pirch98 was written by Polargeek who seems to have disappeared. There is no tech support, but it is a very stable program. I even run it on XP64. I first started using it in 1995 and am fairly familiar with it but by no means an expert.
Pirch98 and other IRC clients can be found at:
http://www.pirch.com/software. html
There are even Mac and OS2 clients. Linux users know already where to find IRC Clients, There usually is one built into the OS

OK, lets set up Pirch98 for the first time.
Start the program, you will see a gray window with a number of buttons at the top. Click on the LOGON button. A new box SERVER CONNECTION will appear.
On the right side, select the IRC Server we are on. In this case, its STARLINK. Be Careful, there is a STARLINK-IRC also, do not use this one. In the next box, SERVER, select Roseburg.OR.US.StarLink.Org:66 67 Note: there are many servers listed, some work, others don't. when you click CONNECT, the window will say connecting. You will know once you are connected.
A few of the other boxes you should fill out on this screen:
Password Leave Blank, no password required for this network
Person Information, Unless you want everyone to know who you are, leave the default info alone
Nick1 Use your DetroitYES nick
Nick2 I set this as my nick with a 2 after it.

Now you are set to log on. Click the Connect button. After you make connection, a long scroll will fly by the window, It should end with something like this:

- You may not attempt to hide your real IP address by use of any
open proxy
- servers such as badly configured WinGates and you must not
attempt to interfere
-
- with any other users enjoyment of the IRC or any other part of the
Internet.
- Any behaviour that violates any of these conditions will be
logged and sent
- to ISPs or Law Enforcement agencies as appropriate.
End of /MOTD command.
-

Now type
/join #DetroitYES (be sure to use the /join this is what those ///// you see mean, they are used in Unix)

you will now be connected to the chat room.
Type away and chat with others who are in the room.

I plan on being in #DetroitYes on Thursdays by 7PM EST. untill about midnight.
Hope to see you there.

If you have any questions or have problems logging on, post them here and I will try to help.

PSIP

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 866
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't we just communicate here?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 791
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have two 16oz drafts, please.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sure, we can chat here, but its not quite the same.
forum posting is slow, its hard to have conversations.
IRC is real time.

2 iced lagers coming right up

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11393
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds gay, I'm just gonna keep showing up on Thursdays. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.