Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Calling all current SPARTANS... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am working with a few people at MSU to create a Detroit Project similar to that at The University of Michigan. The grant writing is nearly complete and we are making progress in developing our programs...

Of course, we are looking for volunteers to help organize the organization at MSU, and to volunteer with our programs in the city..

You can respond here with any interest/thoughts/ideas or email me at quigle15 @ msu.edu

Thanks

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So explain a little more. What type of "programs"? Helping non-profits, the poor, kids, or what/who.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, UM currently has weekly tutoring at DPS, helps with building/tearing down homes, neighborhood cleanups, landscaping, painting, etc.

We are hoping to eventually do all of that, but right now we are focusing on working with YouthVille Detroit. We plan to hold seminars to teach the students how to apply for college/scholarships, financial aid, write application essays, resumes, etc.

MSU students can join in on Detroit Project Day on March 31 with UM, where nearly 2,000 volunteers will be cleaning a neighborhood in SW Detroit

email me if you are interested or have further questions

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 351
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2540
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thedp.org/
^^UM's DP site

The culminating event, is, as Spirit said, the upcoming DP Day which is primarily in Brightmoor and SW Detroit-- it is a major cleanup and lot preparation (with some demolition) project with thousands of people. Community gardens and infill housing will go in on the cleaned/prepared lots. I cleaned up tons of large trash, rubble from old structures, and tree limbs at my site last year.

For DP Day and all of their other smaller events throughout the year, DP works with neighborhood development groups, the greening of Detroit, and MC Blight Busters.

Spirit, good luck with your endeavour. It will be hard to match the size and vigour of our group here at UM, and I know that your distance may hurt you in some respects...but best of luck anyway.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 592
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im a current Spartan, give me more info and I'd be willing to help.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you working with the MSU Urban Collaborators Program? They assist communities throughout the state with economic development, planning, and redevelopment issues, and work on at least one project in the City of Detroit every year. http://www.spdc.msu.edu/urpp/o utreach/urbcollabs.htm

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor_sekou- shoot me an email and I will give you more details

Jfried-
We are specifically called the MSU Detroit Collaboration. We are a separate program, but will likely be sharing ideas/resources with that group, and others.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 606
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats your email address?

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nevermind.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 362
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its quigle15@msu.edu

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 647
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry man I totally forgot Ill shoot you that email tonight.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 674
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you get the email I sent it that night? Ill send another tomorrow.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 386
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got the one last night... Check your inbox! Thanks for your interest!

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 881
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

drew stanton meet the lions, lions meet your next backup quarterback

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.