Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Cincinatti, Atlanta and Lakeland - Recommendations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 691
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I'm taking a road trip to see the Tigers' play in Lakeland, FL and on the way I will be spending a night or two in Cincinnati and Atlanta. Anything in those towns that I shouldn't miss? I'd like to find a good neighborhood hole-in-the-wall in each city if I could. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

(Message edited by harmonie on March 12, 2007)

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you staying in Cincinnati? I make sure that I get some Cincinnati chili whenever I'm down there.

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you might want to start spelling the city names correctly.

As for Cincinnati questions: go ask these nerds: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum 2/index.php?board=20.0

Harmonie

Post Number: 692
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for both tips LB.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atlanta.. hit Fat Matt's for the best ribs you'll ever have, and it is one massive hole in the wall blues joint as well. Just google it for directions.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 968
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Atlanta, DO NOT miss the Varsity Drive in! The fried peach pie and onion rings are amazing!!!

I don't like Atlanta though. I would suggest you make it down to Macon. Macon is a great old southern city. Make it to NuWay red hots on your way down to Florida. That's in Macon. I thought Macon was a very nice town, close to the size of a city. Dense downtown, lofts, stores, restaurants. Macon's a nice town. Atlanta is horrible. Avoid it at all possible!!!

Get some Skyline Chili in Cincinnati

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just skip Atlanta altogether. It sucks.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been to Atlanta since I was a kid. I remember going here:

http://www.bcaatlanta.com/inde x.php?pid=81

Milwaukee

Post Number: 991
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atlanta doesn't have any history. Well actually, it has a great amount of history, but you wouldn't think it. If it's old in Atlanta, then there are plans to flatten it. The south side, which has some old homes is far too dangerous to want to visit. The north side is very rich. Buckhead and Midtown have lots of money. But they're tearing down all the old homes for new mcmansions and condo towers. Downtown is a joke! All new horrible crap. The revaitalization hasn't panned out at all. All offices, no lofts. There's really nothing downtown except business. Not a nice place to visit. There was a large congregation of prostitutes in front of the famous underground city. Atlanta sucks!

I really like Chattanooga. That's on the way. Chattanooga or Macon. Just not Atlanta!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess I must not be looking real hard...I've been to the Atlanta Underground numerous times on my one or two trips to Atlanta each year for the last 15 years or so, and I've yet to see a hooker.

My friends and I always have a nice time in Atlanta, with the history and the art and the theatre and other attractions, plus the restaurants. Atlanta has plenty of history and plenty of remnants of that history. Like Detroit, you have to know where to look for it!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to Cincinnati a bunch of times. I have stayed at the Vernon Manor a few times - old hotel, very nice, more in a neighborhood near Downtown.

Zip's is great for burgers in Mt Lookout Square.

Jeff_of_dayton
Username: Jeff_of_dayton

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fort Washington Chili for Cincinnati chili. This is one of the better chili parlors.

For downtown, if its open, the outdoor observation deck on the Carew Tower. Park underneath Fountain Square (vine and 5th Street, parking entry off of vine), take the elevator to the square, admire the old fountain (centerpiece of the city), then walk across the street to the Carew Tower (the big art deco skyscraper).

Take a drive north of downtown through Over the Rhine (on Vine Street). While there, take a detour off of Vine to Findlay Market, off of Race, a bit north of Liberty (this is really a must see).

Go back to Vine, drive up the hill to the university area and Clifton, and try to find Bellevue Hill park , at the end of Ohio Avenue, and enjoy the panoramic vista over the city.

Mount Adams, immediately east of downtown, is interesting too, with its hills and narrow streets.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't agree more that Atlanta sucks.

World class dining, the Aquarium, the High Museum of Art, the Titanic exhibit, Stone Mountain, the Fox Theatre, Virginia Highlands shops, Fernbank Museum, Centennial Olympic Park, Buckhead and Midtown OLD mansions that ARE NOT being torn down for "McMansions (that's going on in the smaller bungelow areas of town), lofts all over the place on Marietta Street and the Grant Park area, the Atlanta Zoo. It's also called Underground Atlanta which is actually the area left after the city burned in 1864 not "Underground City". But you can see something like that in Chattanooga with Ruby Falls.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rick: A couple summers back, I took one of the Atlanta Preservation Center tours of Inman Park. What a nice neighborhood!! I hope to take some additional APC tours on future visits.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I'd reconsider what I said. It bugs me when people trash Milwaukee, so I'm sorry Rickinatlanta.

He is right about a lot of stuff

1. The Fox theater is amazing, what a great renovation. I'm glad they saved it as it is surrounded by some big 70's office towers.

2. Buckhead is very nice. I don't know where I was, but there was a wonderful kind of dense neighborhood with very nice homes.

3. Piedmont Park? It's a huge Fredrick Law Olmstead park. I really loved that.

4. The High Museum of Art. It really is a world class museum.

I would still suggest you stop in Chattanooga. If you want a ton to do, then go to Atlanta. If you want to visit a cool old industrial city with stuff to do, stay in Chattanooga. If you want an old but smaller city, stay in Macon. I would still highly suggest you make it to NuWay and the Varsity.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atlanta has a second Olmsted park...the "linear" parks of Druid Hills. Who wouldn't want that in their neighborhood? I'd love to go walking there every day!

Bobj

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The museum complex in Cincinnati is great as well - it is in the old train station> I forget all the museums there, but there are 3 or 4 all in one place.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a big fan of Chattanooga. Nice City. Really, every city has it's good and bad.. In Atlanta, the local sports and the lack of what I call decent independent food sources are the bad. there is also a lot of good. One further note on the sports.. the Thrashers have always had a good following here and are a really good time to go and see. Sure, there is no historical nature to the team, but they certainly have a good fan base, and are a fairly rock solid organization.

I live on the Industrial west side of Atlanta fairly close to the rail yards. This is an amazing side of town that definitely does not have a generic personality to it.

Quick Note: Atlanta was named Terminus before it was Named Atlanta, mostly because it was the Terminus of the Western Atlantic Railroad. Like Chattanooga, the railroad is why this place exists.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 882
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The museum complex in Cincinnati is great as well - it is in the old train station> I forget all the museums there, but there are 3 or 4 all in one place.

Haven't had a chance to get there yet, but it looks like the Hall of Justice.

Cinci Museum Center

Hall of Justice

Also didn't catch this thread in time.....did you stop in Cinci? If so, how as your visit?

(Message edited by D-Day on March 25, 2007)

Harmonie

Post Number: 693
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We left later than expected on Thursday so we got to our hotel (which was just across the river in Covington) around 11pm. We ended up just walking over to a little historic district called MainStrasse and after a couple ok bars found a great one called the Village Pub. It had darts, pool, a great juke box and a friendly bartender named Kurt. A great time was had by all.
In Atlanta, we checked out the Underground but it was pretty slow on a Friday night. Downtown Atlanta seems pretty boring and lacking personality. On St. Patrick's Day we were told to head to Midtown and Piedmont Park, both of which we found to be great.
Thanks all for the suggestions. The trip was great.

Bobj

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a weekend to Cincinnati sometime, great place to visit

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cincinnati really is a great city and its getting much better. There is a ton of redevelopment downtown. I don't know the neighborhoods too well, but I'm sure they're getting nicer also.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.