Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Hotel Park Avenue? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know very little about this place other than the fact that the Town Pump is on the first floor. I need to recommend a downtown hotel for a friend who is going to an event down there next week. I know the ren cen and garden inn are good picks, but I know this place has character and is really close to the theatres where she will be. Is this a credible place to stay (i.e. quality rooms, clean, free of shady folk)? My friend is standard midwestern suburban folk so we want to avoid making her unhappy with Detroit on her second visit here.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the best value would be the Inn on Ferry. Right in the cultural center.
http://innonferrystreet.com
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hote l-550626-inn_on_ferry_street-i _ylt=Anz24EA.LEvpQ_N6tDpzk57ip hQB

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Priceline has it listed as $89.00 / night.
http://travela.priceline.com/h otel/hotelOverviewGuide.do?ses sion_key=420011AC5C0011AC20070 325193612753700926128&plf=pcln &INIT_SESSION=true&static=Y&re fid=PLYAHOOTG&refclickid=HP424 2105&propID=4242105

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 292
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<---seconds the recommendation of the Inn on Ferry

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2613
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still wondering about Park Ave., since she'll be downtown, but wow, I can't believe how cheap the Inn on Ferry Street is.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is more of a residential hotel. In recent years it also served as part of the Youth Hostel network. It is not a "nice" hotel by any stretch of the imagination, and I am quite confident your friend will not enjoy staying there.

The Inn on Ferry Street would be a great choice since it is actually impressive intead of generic like the Garden Inn. Ren Cen can be cool if you get a view, though. You may also want to consider the b&b on Winder in Brush Park ... is it 89 Winder? Also, if you are a member or know someone who is, the DAC can be a very convenient place to stay.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You may also want to consider the b&b on Winder in Brush Park ... is it 89 Winder?

http://www.theinnat97winder.co m/

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all, I had the inclination that Park Ave. was not a typical hotel.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She should look at the Park Avenue Hotel, as well as the other places mentioned in this thread. I haven't stayed there, but I attend a monthly meeting there and it appears on the first floor to be quite nice, especially the restaurant. It has a youthful clientel.

Bob Cosgrove

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I repeat, do not have her stay at the Park Avenue Hotel. The first floor looks great because it's been renovated. The upstairs apartments/rooms have not been. They are not abysmal, but the furniture is a hodge-podge of old items, the bathrooms have never been renovated, etc.

Your buddy in from Kalamazoo might like it for it's great location and gritty feel, but I would not put a suburban friend up there. Or anyone who is expecting a real hotel.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.