Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » ::: FSC Meetups ::: » FSC for Thursday, April 5th « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 832
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will be meeting at the Detroit Beer Co. on Broadway.

The 8pm starting time seems to be working well, so we will stick with it...

See you next Thursday!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope to see a few of you this week!!!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11453
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there, probably around 8:30 or so.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 917
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may try to make it too. Getting some work done on the squire, if it's not too snowy I may make it down afterwards.

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there about 9:00 give or take a half hour.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I am unfamiliar with the area, what's the parking situation like? I am seriously thinking of coming down to meet some of the
"personalities" here on the forum!! I hope that there will be lots of folks there!!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres - I would suggest taking Light Rail. It's better for the environment, and then you wouldn't have to worry about parking.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal-

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with Light Rail?
Would you please enlighten me??

Cambrian

Post Number: 920
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possibly he's being Sarcastic? Maybe he means the people mover? Just park at the Opera House parking structure. It's at Grand River and Broadway across from the Y.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian-

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not used to sarcasim this early in the morning, and I suspected that I'd ben "duped"!! Oh well, happens all the time when your trying to be sincere and someone else thinks it's cool to make an ass out of you!!

Looking forward to seeing you tonight if the Squire is running! Good luck!!

Supersport

Post Number: 11455
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres,

The Wings are away and the Tigers have a day game, so downtown should be pretty well cleared out by evening. You should be able to find a spot on Broadway, or perhaps even on Woodward a short block away. Here is a map of the location and surrounding area.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/m ap.adp?formtype=address&addtoh istory=&address=1529%20Broadwa y%20St&city=Detroit&state=MI&z ipcode=48226%2d2141&country=US &geodiff=1

Plymouthres

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS-

Thanks for the link!! Gets me real close and I appreciate it greatly!! As a fellow automotive designer, it was perfect for me!!!

I am looking forward to seeing all who attend. Although I've only been registered here since February, I've been lurking for much longer than that. I've see you post and think it would be cool to meet all that I've admired from afar!! Do jjaba, Gistok or any of those folks ever show up? How bout the Mikes(photo and map contributors? It would be awesome to meet everyone here as some may not have to work tomorrow and tonight would be a great night to get together!!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the one place east of Woodward that jjaba has been spotted was the Detroit Beer Company during the summer of 2005, when he paid a visit back to his roots. These days he resides out of the state on the "west side" of the continent!!

Aside from that, you never know who's going to show up...just come on out!!!

I'll be there sometime between 8 and 9.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a 99% chance I will be coming with a ride hitched from ScottR. Hope to see a lot of forum'ers tonight. There might also be a special treat for us lovers of Detroit History :-)
I called the DBC and made arrangements to show a DVD.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip: What time does the show start?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To paraphrase the line from "The Shoes of a Fisherman",,, when I get there :-)

Really, I would expect about 9PM. We are leaving the north about 7:30P

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8880
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now THIS was a party.

I cannot believe I'm the first to post, y'all are just wimps.

Sport, you might have an excuse...and I sincerely HOPE so...heh.

Just got home from an early Plaka breakfast with Mikie, and we agreed this was a banner night.

More than a few newbies turning tangible tonight, along with one extraordinarily brave lurker...Jeff...who I hope will register soon.

Plymouthres and his lovely spouse...that fellow who worked with Mikie at Harman until last week, with his photog friend and the guy from WSU who finally agreed upon a major...and ScottR from way the heck up in Flint...sorry Davison, I know (thanks for driving PSIP down, with more of the video archives)...what a blast.

I even finally caught up with ErikD for the first time in months. Kathleen and the Master, Harmonie and her beau, I just KNOW I'm going to forget even those I talked with...whatever, it was a great time at the DBC.

I'm even going to get Skulker back his turntable in a week...probably the biggest relief of my night. Maybe the year.

Glad I fought off the full-moon hangover and made it out to the vertical public arena once again. It's tough for me this time of the month!

Y'all are the bestest...and this isn't the third pint speaking. (I think)

Cheers, until next week...be safe, be good...and if you weren't good the first time, try it again.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big props to anyone that took the light-rail in!

http://www.detroittransit.org/

Plymouthres

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon-

What a pleasure to have met you at the FSC event last night!! Awesome conversation with you, Mikie and Kathleen!! Once again I got an education that I didn't bargain for. I believe that was some of the most fun we've had, and somehow we managed to convince MrsPlymouthRes that we were all okay-she was able to put some "tangibility" to the whole cyberspace thing! Now my 10 hour days on the computer should go a bit smoother!!! I do OWE you a pint or two the next time we gather together!!
I think I need at least one or two to make better "sense" of the "magnetic theory"!!!!Somehow, MrsRes and I think Flower Day at the Market will take on a new "meaning" this year and we are looking forward to the hook-up!! I'll e-mail more later!!

Mikie-

You are absolutely one of the nicest people that I have ever met! Thanks for the candor, and I look forward to our next meeting, too!

Kathleen-

Thanks for the vast amount of info on the history stuff. Expect an e-mail from me soon!! We shall, indeed, talk again. I'll be posting the Fort Wayne info as I get new stuff, but the website does an awesome job so I'm probably just a bit redundant! Wouldn't be the first time!! By the way your husband was a stitch, too!!

SS-

Sorry that I didn't get much of a chance to speak with you, but there will be more time at a later date. Once I got with Gannon, there was no stopping us!! We basically closed the place, but the owner was totally grateful that he had the "problem" of throwing us out! He was amazed at the amount of folks that turned-out, and I believe he said that it was one of the busiest Thursday nights he'd had in a long time!! Awesome choice of venues. By the way, the map got me right to the door of the place-literally!! Parked about twenty steps from the front door!! It was awesome!! I also agree with Gannon on your not posting-I believe I saw that you had a very VALID excuse!!

Sharmaal-

That light rail was sure smooth! I hope you saw me hanging off the side and waving atcha!!! If and when you come out my way, be sure to take the "glide ride" out!! I'll even come to pick you up at the station!!! Of course, MrsPlymouthRes rode on the INSIDE of the cab-just not as daring as me, I guess!!

Psip-

MrsPlymouthRes said I missed the boat not talking to you!! She thought that we would get along famously, so I'm looking forward to seeing you and "properly" introducing myself to you next time!!

Scottr-

Nice to have met you and look forward to many more "discussions" over a "soda" or two!! Dynamite that you drove all that way!! And to think I debated coming out at all!! You drove much longer than I did-props to you, too!!

Skulker-

Awesome connection on the places that you grew up and the people that you knew!! I learned a bit about my turf from you, and I look forward to future "Teachings". Thanks so much!!

Finally, to all that I missed (and that would be quite a bit from what I could tell!!), I hope to meet everyone eventually. It was really cool to see all those participants, and it puts some "tangible validity" to all of the cyberspacers!! Well, maybe not validity, but it definitely put some tangibility out there!! Thanks for welcoming MrsRes and I so warmly and we look forward to future gatherings!!!

Happy Easter weekend to ya'll!!!

Supersport

Post Number: 11456
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, I'd like to add E_Hemmingway, Cambrian, Valkyrias, and MsAmericana to those I didn't see mentioned but were present.

It was an amazing turnout, one that I was truly shocked by. Considering the cold weather and all, I figured few would show. When myself and Ms Supersport showed, I thought we were the first to arrive. Soon however, Kathleen and Grillmaster joined us, as they had arrived early and had dinner in the back. After that, a steady stream of people began to flow in, with a handful of first timers, and a couple long haulers. It was great to see everybody out, was just like old times when turnouts were strong most every night. Perhaps FSC nights are getting their long awaited second wind?

Psip,

Once again, thanks for the amazing video, it had my attention. We'll have to do it again sometime in the near future, perhaps at The Well, where we can display it on the big screen they have, with sound.

I have to admit, I was reluctant at first to bring my new girlfriend out. As, well, we can all come across a bit...strange and over the top at times when we unleash our full fury of passion for Detroit. I am happy to say that she had a wonderful time, and loved talking with Kathleen about Detroit's history. Probably helps that she lives in Detroit and shares our passion and desire to see Detroit succeed. I'm sure it won't take much effort to get her out again very soon, perhaps even next week.

I asked as many people as I could for suggestions for next week, and the Buzz Bar seemed to sit well with everybody, so Buzz Bar it is. I believe they may have a band that night, perhaps upstairs? I've only been there once or twice, never at a time when they had music, so we'll see how this works out.

Thanks again everybody for another fabulous night!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

think I need at least one or two to make better "sense" of the "magnetic theory

Trust me, it'll take more than a pint or two to make sense out of any of Mr. Gannon's theories.

They journey, however, can be a chaotic and entertaining ride.

Cambrian

Post Number: 923
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SuperSport: Here's that job lead I was telling you about. Vicky Shivas, 586 939 3210. TRC Staffing. They provide local mfrs with Quality Tech Support. Good Luck!!!!

Gannon

Post Number: 8892
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Trust me, it'll take more than a pint or two to make sense out of any of Mr. Gannon's theories.

They journey, however, can be a chaotic and entertaining ride.

You should see it from INSIDE this noggin. No seatbelt, no safety netting...almost no release, save for periodic sleep and self-medication.

Thankfully, I've discovered a way to make my bathroom into a pseudo-sensory deprivation chamber...probably the biggest progress of my life gaining comfort and isolation from my idiosyncracies.

Or...immersing myself completely IN them...I get the two mixed up most times.

Cheers, go play in the sand for us today, Dabirch, it is fucking COLD outside.

Gannon

Post Number: 8894
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, Cambrian, forgot that drive-by hello...I'll try to get down earlier next time.

Thanks for the concern over the Audi's ability to pump water...I still cannot believe I dodged THAT potentially expensive bullet!

Supersport

Post Number: 11466
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just remembered another from last night, Neil was present. Had to have been a good 20+ strong last night.

Gannon

Post Number: 8901
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valkyrias and her friend...yeah, we was loaded.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 477
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad Psip talked me into coming down last night (although it wasn't that hard). It was definitely a good night to do so with so many people showing up, and I had a great time. While I can't make it a weekly event, I will try my best to be down at least once a month or so. To all of you, thanks!

Rc_hafy
Username: Rc_hafy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to invade this forum for a moment, but I am certain that Kathleen is a distant relative. You mentioned on an older thread that you are descended from Adam Faber and Katherine Muhlhaus. So am I (through Amelia Faber/Joseph Hack). I have research, pictures, and other information to share if you are interested. You can reach me at rchafy@hotmail.com, or through the email I provided to join this forum.

Gannon

Post Number: 8907
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More DEtroit Royalty...yay!

Welcome Rc_hafy.

(early nominee for best first post of the year award)

Kathleen

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rc_hafy: Just emailed you...I know you from your ID, and we're not that distant!!! In fact, we've met.

Cambrian, Scottr, and Plymouthres (and Mrs.): It was nice to meet you; I enjoyed our discussions, and hope to see you around soon for more!!

Jeff...nice to meet you...join us online!

Psip: Thanks for sharing the video. It really brings back memories!!!

Supersport, Melissa, E_Hemingway, Valkyrias, MsAmericana, Harmonie, Gannon, Sharmaal, Neilr, Mikie (and friends), and ErikD: Always a pleasure. Hope to see you all again soon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.