Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Basement Foundation/Waterproofing Contractor Needed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone recommend a company that does basement wall/foundation repair and waterproofing?
I have had some estimates, but would still like to get a couple more.
Thanks!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd stay away from those that want to fix the problem from inside. From what I've heard they charge more, and it is only a patch. I have tree roots in the foundation tile. My Insta dry estimate was 3g, A local contractor wants 3 g to fix it from the outside, or $500 if I excavate the foundation area to be fixed myself.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim Kleiner, 313-885-2097

He grew up in the business. When I met him he was replacing a neighbor's sewer line. While he was waiting for a load of cement to show up, he sat in his car which was parked in front of my house, ate lunch and drank a quart of beer in 10 minutes, then hopped back on his backhoe. I knew that was the guy for my job - no bullshitting, no fancy advertising, no uniforms, no salemanship, no patronizing. He did the job in one day by starting late in the day to avoid dealing with the city inspector. Give him a call right away - he will be busy now that spring is here on the damp east side.

Krawlspace

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys...
In my case the problem was caused by a grade issue, so I don't think I'll have to do any excavating.
Insta Dry also come to my house and quoted me $6800-$10,000 for either 2 or 3 walls. I have cinder block which is cracking and shifting, and from everywhere I have looked, the rod retention system seems to be the appropriate solution. Sort of like a huge toggle bolt.
I'd still be open to other ideas though.
I have a landscaper ready to do the grade improvements, but if I do go with excavation, I will want to wait until after that part is done.
Have I mentioned my head hurts?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your head will hurt even more when you bank account takes that kind of hit

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9345
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you can dig down to the weeping tile yourself then you can save at least 30% off of the bill (depending on how bad your walls need to be repaired).
Get a couple of friends and a case of beer and dig away! Good luck, I hope it isn't as bad as you think.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 924
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Splendid idea goat! I'll get some growler's from Kuhnnhenn's. My hole's gotta be 8 feet down. Width, about 4'

Krawlspace

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate digging.
But I hate spending 10k slightly more.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I hate digging.
But I hate spending 10k slightly more."
Words of wisdom...Start digging

Offer $15-20 an hour and you can probably get a few of us over to help.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 470
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you already have some damage, but often it will stabilize if the water issue is fixed. You might be best off keeping the money in the bank and waiting to see what happens after the grade issue is resolved.

Also don't forget to check your gutters (Or lack there of). I've seen many wet basements fixed by replacing and rerouting gutters and downspouts.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on April 08, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.