Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Day Laborers - where? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People on TV are always joking about the day laborers outside of Home Depot, but perhaps that is in California, because I don't see it here.

However, I wish I did see it here because I need some jobs done like digging a foundation hole for a shed, filling an old pool and tree indents with yards of dirt, etc.

Anyone know the best place to get day labor on the Eastside and/or how it usually works? Would I pick them up and drop them off or ?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rather than use (often illegal) street corner day laborers why don't you check with the unemployment office, local shelter, or even a high school/votec program?

Or if you really want to go the other route pick up some of the pan handlers who really are willing to work.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2966
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just ask any of the unemployed day workers at any Labor Ready or Minuteman agency standing around engaging in BS or whatever after all their day's jobs are already doled out by 8AM or so. Seems like a no-brainer to me...

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an easy one....

drive around Detroit or most any subdivision...

when you see a Yellow or Orange truck with wording on the side or a Yellow Backhoe you will almost always find about 6 folks with Hard hats standing around watching 1 or 2 guys working with shovels....

just grab one of the standers by the arm and say "C'mon I've got some work for you and I pay cash"

Works everytime...

regards

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5189
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But this doesn't answer the question. In most cities, there is a day labor corner somewhere. Doesn't Detroit have such a corner?

jjaba.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny. In the suburbs we'd just ask the neighbors for a hand. How is it that there are no neighbors willing to help?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In other words, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Head north of M-59 and go to the local 7-11 during the summer, and your sure to find some "day laborers."

Pick them up in your vehicle and then pay them at the end of the day when you drop them off, some of the hardest workers you will meet.

Lylegun
Username: Lylegun

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd dig that damn hole, East! I saw you posted on my thread about finding work down at Eastern Market and figured I catch you here.

I've got the whole week off from work (hmmm...a week off in early April ... guess what I do for a living.) and could knock out all kinds of stuff for you. Hell, I even live on the East side! Once again, DetroitYes workin' to bring people together.

Seriously, I'd be up for working around your house with the general labor/landscaping stuff. I'm a sizable young man who's dabbled in the landscaping arts before (fence installation, sod, concrete, etc.) If your interested, let me know and we'll figure out a way to contact each other outside the cyber walls of Lowell.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, Lylegun.... here's my list off the top of my head, in order of importance to me:

1. Big tree was removed from the front yard. Now the dirt is uneven and the grass is destroyed. I need the dirt leveled out and some new dirt added probably and then sod on top.

2. Shed in the back is past its prime and was only put on a wood platform. I need the shed emptied, knocked down and cut into pieces to be transported to wherever, then a hole dug for a legal foundation, then a foundation mixed and poured and then a new shed erected on that spot.

3. Above ground pool (25' round) and big elm tree were removed in the backyard and now there are depressions in the ground. I need the depressions filled with dirt and then either sod or seed on top.

4. Wood fence gate to the backyard is past its prime. I need the gate removed and a new one built and put in its place.

5. 2 clothesline poles with cement anchors are just annoyances. I need them dug up and then disposed of (or just buried in the backyard.

Any of these sound interesting? I can supply pictures.

Lylegun
Username: Lylegun

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole thing sounds pretty good to me. My only reservation would be pouring the foundation. I've never done it before and wouldn't feel right about faking it and learning as I go. I could, however, do all of the prep work as well as the fence, digging holes, ripping stuff apart.

So, all that leaves us is:

What are you thinking $-wise? When would you want me to start? How do I get a hold of you?

East_detroit

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lylegun, send an email and we can discuss details.

Thanks!

(Message edited by east detroit on April 11, 2007)

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6709
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phoenix is an example of where this stuff is heading:

Several years ago, the city went so far as to build several "centers" complete with restrooms and circular drives where illegals could congregate and folks could "drive thru" and hire them.

With the recent realizations that we're doing our country in with encouragment of widespread open borders, these centers have fallen out of vogue. There are signs posted that folks will be ticketed for hiring illegals - and they are, in fact, ticketed.

Illegals have now taken to hanging out several blocks from the Home Depots, but the sheriff has taken even more aggressive steps to detain/deport them. One can even opt for a one-way flight to Mexico City or Guadalajara (sp?) at your (taxpayers') expense.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, I wasnt looking to hire an illegal.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.