Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » ::: FSC Meetups ::: » FSC for Thursday, April 12th « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buzz Bar - Start at 8:00pm. Buzz has some excellent pizza. It's also one of the best bars in the city to hear great music.

http://www.buzzdetroit.com/mai n.html

If you've never been, the music doesn't start 'til 10. So we'll have some time to chat.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11457
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beat me to the punch! That's ok, I had an excuse. Is the music downstairs or upstairs?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal-

Can I take the light rail again to this event? It was a very "cool" ride!! I fear that I will never be able to let go of that one!!!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there is a light-rail stop a few blocks away from the Buzz Bar. Get off at the Brick Town stop.

There is a kick-ass crew upstairs (Larry Frantangelo sp). I've been there on Thursdays when there is also music downstairs.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8902
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except those damn DJs are DEAF...that sound system downstairs can be a weapon.

Can't believe people consider that entertainment, then just scream at each other to 'talk'. Big fun.

I'll be brining earplugs, just in case.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres, you can also get off at the RenCen stop and use the stairs (I think) to get down to street level. Both stops are about 2 blocks away from the Buzz Bar.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks-

Thanks for the info! As I don't know that area very well either, I appreciate the directions greatly. Are you going? If you are, it would be a pleasure to meet you. You have had good input on the downriver thread, it would be cool to put a face to the handle!!

Sticks

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hah, oh yeah, that's where your handle seemed familiar!

Yes, I hope to attend this time around. I pass the Buzz Bar every time I head home from work. One of the managers at Fishbone's told me how good their pizza was and I'm looking forward to having some.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone going tonight?

Supersport

Post Number: 11484
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll be there!

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there! Our first FSC! :-)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I couldn't make it out tonight...it's been a very busy week and I had to finish up a couple of projects for the weekend!! Hope everyone had a good time. See you next week!

Supersport

Post Number: 11485
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smaller turnout this week, about 7 strong or so. Next week, we tossed around Jacoby's and Anchor bar, though we settled on The Anchor to coincide with the Detroit Synergy happy hour from 5-8 I believe. So perhaps we'll get some stragglers who stay after.

Nice to meet Jenay and Mr Jenay. :-)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 983
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr told me to cut back on the beer, apparently the BP is getting too high. I'll make it out to the next one or after.

Gannon

Post Number: 8924
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When MY doctor tried to get me on blood pressure pills, I asked him what caused high bp.

He was honest with me, and said they didn't know any exact cause. Leading indicators ONLY, but no causes.

Stress was one of the highest factors...the highest one, if I remember correctly.

So I asked him if I could work on my stress levels instead of taking pills, he said that was a fine idea. In addition, he reminded me, I should exercise often, eat right, drink as much water as I could handle, get as much rest as possible, cut down on caffeine...all that good stuff they've been telling us for years.

NOW?! I can faintly hear my heartbeat when my bp is peaking, and try to notice what triggers the increase...amazing the stuff that will shoot it straight up, but nearly nothing brings it immediately back down until I go to sleep and reset. Some days my bp is quite low, most days it is slightly high...it is good to get in touch enough with your body to know.

SO? "Dr. Gannon" says to do what YOUR doctor says for you, but keep coming down to the FSCs as they are usually stress relieving...just don't let us make you lose sleep!

I could've used the relief last night...but have not collected a dime from any clients this week.

Cambrian

Post Number: 985
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect my Dr is just trying to make a little money, he has me coming back every 3 mos for borderline high BP. True I could stand to lose a 100 lbs too. Last time I was there the nurse checked it when I arrived. 130 over 80. Not too bad. Last year it was getting high, 136 / 96. I no longer add salt to food. I do exercise a few times a week, but don't really watch my diet that well. What really pissed me off last time I was there, like I said the nurse checked it when I arrived it was fine. The Dr kept me waiting an hour an fifteen minutes, which irked me. He finally shows up and checks the BP, its 136/90 now. I'm sure it was up a little because I was upset about waiting so long. I told him I don't wanna wait that long next time. He said to schedule an earlier appointment for the next 3 monther. I've taken those BP pills before when a crash diet nearly wiped out my kidneys. I don't want to take them again. They cause performance issues.

Gannon

Post Number: 8925
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda proves the term 'crash diet' accurate, doncha think?!

MY fun trip started out west where an industry friend wanted dearly to show off his new blood pressure measurement device...I warned him at the onset I wouldn't partake in any of his obsessions, which he is wonderfully full of...damn guy has perfected the AC purification filter after ten years of listening to the effects of capacitors.

He put the bp thing on me, and I peaked it off the charts! I was having a really bad day in the middle of a two-week road trip, and had just finished the stressful drive from SF up to his place near the Bohemian Grove...bad enough I had to be near that creepy place.

He was insistent that we rush to the hospital immediately. I looked him square in the eye and reminded him that I would NOT partake in his obsession, and would wait until the morning and another reading before I would join him in his panic.

If I were going to stroke out, I think there would be a few warning signs...plus I truly think the problem is not so much high pressure but WEAK plumbing. I'm in high enough condition to know that my cardio system functions, and aware of what is happening in my body...aware of changes, particularly.

Next morning I was well within reasonable range, although I cannot remember the numbers...and will NOT obsess over it, if the only solution is taking pills for life. I will NOT play this damn game the pharmaceutical industry plays on fearful humans.

Like most things, I am fine with folks taking some pill to stop a bad slide or turn in health, but not maintenance. I will put considerable effort into correcting my behavior so I don't need the pharmaceuticals...since this IS the only body I get this lifetime, far as I know.

ALL drugs have side effects, some we can handle some we cannot.

Cambrian

Post Number: 986
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a good story gannon. You shoulda told your buddy to check his BP when he was reacting to your high reading.

That's the funny thing about diets. You always hear how unhealthy it is to be obese and how important it is to lose weight and get healthy. However, no one mentions the fact that a lot of weight loss methods could damage your health worse then if you had never lost the extra weight. I still recall walking through one of Providence's dialysis clinics and trying to come to terms with the fact that I would soon be hooked up on of those machines. Luckily somebody upstairs was looking out for me.

Sticks

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, email addy is clesnies -@- gmail-dot-com.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I missed this week, folks, but I couldn't get there any earlier than 9:30 and I was beat from working at the Fort all day, so I'll try to make it next week!!!

Gannon-

Show up this week and I'll treat you to a few. Mrs Plymouthres has some info on the "Magnet theory" stuff that she can't wait to share with you, as she saw something the news that directly relates to our discussion!!

Sticks-

You don't have to drink anything other than ice water to have a good time and put some faces to the posts! When we went last time it was a lot of fun and I met some really great people! Try to get there next week!

Gannon

Post Number: 8938
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres,

This week is a given, it is at the New Moon...always a good time of the month for me!

Cheers, see you in a few days.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.