Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » White box hamburger stands « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitfan
Username: Detroitfan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the history of the white box burger stands around Detroit and suburbs. Are they the remains of a defunct chain or simply similarly designed individual independent stores.

Examples that come to mind are Bates at 5 an Farmington in Livonia, Greens at 10 and Orchard Lake and name escapes me at Southfield and Outer Drive.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 896
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bates at Five Mile and Farmington

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TOP HAT!! I'm not sure if they all were Top Hat places or not...but the memory of going there for multitudes of burgers just came to me. Much better than White Castle!

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe they were all White Castle in their prime. White Castle developed the Porcelain Steel Buildings company, making prefabricated restaurants starting in the '30s.

But, I may be wrong.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before McDonald's and Burger King, there were many independent hamburger places. White Castle and Top Hat were 2 of the early chains. Top Hat was bought by Ellias Brothers in the early 90's. They opened a few stores but most closed in short order.

For a fine dinning experience, I always took dates to the Porcelain Room at the Top of the Hat. Slightly more casual then the Top of the Flame or Top of the Ponch.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where does White Tower fit in? I knew that chain long before I ever heard of White Castle. There was one on East Jefferson near Alter Rd. in Detroit. And another on Joseph Campau south of Caniff; today it is known as Campau Tower.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blueidone/ You are so right. Top Hat was the best. The french fries in a box were my favorite.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Tower at Woodward and Davison also.

Bates built the building at 5 and Farmington.

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Top Hat at Eight and Livernois was as dependable and aromatic as the gals down the street at Macombo's for a late night treat.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also a chain of them known as "Mott's" back in the 50s and 60s. One at Schaefer and Schoolcraft got a lot of business from me.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Hot N Now? Wasn't that the burger chain over on the west side? I remember them in Holland

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 875
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it be Bray's ?

http://www.brayshamburgers.com /history.html

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 876
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These weren't all former White Castles. As said earlier there were many independent and small chains I heard them called burger joints a lot. There was a place on Fenkell called Barry's that sold burgers and stuff-they were on the corner of Beaverland. Sonny's on Schoolcraft & Evergreen. There was one on Fenkell & Greenfield too-I don't remember it's name but they sold burgers 6 for dollar. My mom sometime bought them for us on her way home from work.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also a Top Hat at Puritan and the Lodge. I think it was there until the middle 80's.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bray's! Poor choice for a mascot though, makes you wonder what's in that "meat".

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, I could go for a bag of gut bombs right now. Heavy on the mustard and onions.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grab me a few while you're there, Ray!! Is Hunter's still open on Woodward in Birmingham? They were pretty close to Top Hat. Same type of white building. I remember watching the cooks at Top Hat take a ball of meat..flatten it out on the grill...geeeezzz, I can almost smell it!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there's a burger joint like this at 11 and John R, but I've never been inside. I always wondered about these buildings as well, since they all look the same (often down to the lettering used to spell out the name over the door) and all are independent of one another. Are they common in other cities as well?

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think one of these places just closed up shop on Michigan Ave, one block east of Schaeffer in Eastborn.

There's also one at Van Born and Monroe (called Giant System/Giants?) in Dearborn Hgts and the one mentioned at S-field and Outer Drive in Dearborn Hgts (Carters).

(Message edited by Sticks on April 20, 2007)

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tel-Way Hamburger System on Michigan?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, the little slider palaces. Near and dear to my heart...

NO, none of them were White Castles. As White Castle picked up in popularity in the '30s and '40s, the inevitable imitators cropped up. And most of them did the slider nearly as well (some say, better) than the Castle.

White Tower was one of the oldest imitator chains, as was Krystal (still operating, down south). Around here (in addition to White Tower), there were Top Hats, Bray's, Bates, Telway, Greene's, etc.

The white porcelain-enamel buildings were supposed to symbolize cleanliness and purity (and yes, White Castle did form a company to manufacture its own buildings).

The white slider palace is the Midwest's answer to the stainless-steel diner of the East Coast.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the streetcar dinner on Woodward in Highland Park?
It was one of those mobile dinners with the stainless steel sides. It seems to me it was at an angle to Woodward.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to the streetcar diner with dad in the 60's.Cool place.There used to be a burger place on the corner of Maple and Pontiac Trail in Walled Lake,B&B I think it was called.Torn down for an oil change joint!Hey grease is grease....
Friday on WXYT,they did a slider contest.All the slider places were dripping their grease in the contest.I bet threy're hurting this morning!

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Info on White Tower:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.or g/archstories/restaurants/fast _food.asp

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a White Tower in the second picture that Urbanoutdoors posted in the '43 Riot thread. Sorry, don't know how to link it...

Jman

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The streetcar diner in H.P. was the S&C. It was next door to the Northern Y.M.C.A. Best American Fries in town. There was also an S&C diner on Fort st. across the street from the Fort Shelby Hotel.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a real old fashioned diner in Birmingham on Merrill street when I grew up there as well as both a White Castle and a White Tower.
I never did know the difference between the Tower and the Castle. The Tower was located just North of the Birmingham Theatre. They looked the same, hamburgs tasted the same, and the prices were the same.
They both pushed Nehi orange drinks. The Tower was around longer than the Castle. Both have been gone for years.

Jman

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Tower and White Castle taste the same?

Blasphemy!

Hunter is still alive and well on Woodward N. of 15.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 672
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a neato little vintage hamburger stand on Piquette near Woodward. It really takes me back, ya know? :-)
That said, I haven't eaten there.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone been to the place on third near Charlotte? i believe it's called White Grove or Garden Grove?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the ex-White Tower on Chene, removed for Poletown plant.

White Tower - Chene

LOC

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 965
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Top Hat locations (latter ones)

-8 mile and Gratioit (oddly enough directly across from a WC)
-McClellan and Gratioit (Where the Burger King is)

Chitaku

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dad worked for Elias Brothers, when he would come home from Top Hat he would be damn greasy

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Castle at foot of Woodward, near the old Vernor's plant.

White Castle - foot of Woodward

wsu/vmc

The_rock

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman---sorry, but they did taste the same to a school kid in the 5th grade.
And speaking of old Bham and "15". Blasphemy!!
15 was always Maple, never 15. In downtown B'ham, I don't think Maple is even referred to as 15 even today. I notice that luckycar in an earlier post refers to it as Maple and he's speaking of way out there in Walled Lake!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4255
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would Hot n Now count?

Urbanize

Post Number: 969
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's still a location on Gratiot and Martin (Hot n' Now). There not so good though. It's beyond me how they survived all these years being right next to a McDonalds and not so tasty burgers.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3812
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Tower hamtramck

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3813
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These places all look like they are straight out of an Edward Hopper painting.

Greene's Hamburgers Farmington

Jman

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above is Greenes at 10 Mile and Orchard Lake.

Sorry Rock, I meant to say Woodward 9/10th's of a mile south of Quarton.

Rock, you're right and I should have known better. Years ago I managed a book store on Pierce, a half block south of Maple.

(Message edited by Jman on April 22, 2007)

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to the Telway at 11 and John R this afternoon. It's part of the "Telway System", which includes the Telway burger joint on Michigan Avenue:

http://www.metrotimes.com/metr opolis/restaurants/review.asp? id=7609

My understanding was that it was a franchise way back, and only a handful remain.

Hunter House in Birmingham is alive and well.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3072
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant to mention that there were a few White Towers in Milwaukee, but I was unaware of their history. AFAIK, when growing up, I only noticed the couple Downtown. They always seemed busy, but I never ate there.

There was another local chain for burgers and bacon and eggs and other breakfast fare--the George Webb chain. When I was in high school, my next door neighbor--Al Romans (shortened from Romanowski) owned all the Milwaukee and Racine joints (most of the chain). They featured 7 burgers in a carry-out bag for 98 cents. They were regular burgers--bigger than sliders, and you could get them anytime they were open.

Up until around 1962, there was a old-fashioned diner by Lois/Jonathan and Michigan Avenue, directly across the street from the Dearborn Cozy Corner, which two of my uncles owned until they sold it during the 1980s. Art's diner--not to be confused with Art's barber shop across the street (a different Art)--had the best cheeseburgers I ever remembered.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on April 21, 2007)

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hunter House still exists, however there have been plans to knock it down to build a Hilton Hotel on that plot of land and rebuild the Hunter House inside of it... but this was supposed to happen quite awhile ago.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a couple of those places called "Carter's".

And there's still a Mott's Burgers at Fort and Green. Every once in a while we get a terrible craving for them at work and someone will volunteer to go get about 4 dozen. The bags are always completely saturated with grease by the time they get to us. Mmmmm, mmmmm, good!

The_rock

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman---"a bookstore on Pierce a half block south of Maple". I have been away a LONG time, and I guess I don't recall a bookstore. I recall Young's Men shop on the East side of Pierce, and The Varsity Shop on Merrill and Pierce ( owned by the late Vince Secontine, football coach at dear old BHS) but a bookstore, I guess not. What was it called??

Fury13

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a double cheeseburger from Telway at 11 and John R the other day. It was incredibly good.

Geneva's is still the best, but I don't get over to the far eastside very often these days.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't agree with you regarding Geneva's . One time I was there somebody was drinking the coffee cream out of those containers on the counter . My brother loves the place though, for some reason most of the times that I go there I end up grossed out .

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help me out with this one. I think there was a White Tower on E. Davison between Jos Campau and Reynolds St, right next door to the Scalzo's Bar on the north side of the street. I'm talking about between the 1940-60's. Does anyone remember this one. Mikem can probably find it in his old telephone directories.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a list I have running. I did a photo project on a number of these little places about 4 years ago for a photo class. I wish I knew where it was now! These are in no particular order:

Telway - Michigan Ave. and Martin, Detroit
Carter's - Outer Drive and the Southfield, Dearborn
White Tower - Michigan Ave. 1 block east of Schaefer in Dearborn
The Giant System - Van Born and Monroe(?), Dearborn Heights
Telway - 11 Mile and John R., Royal Oak
Bates - 5 Mile and Farmington, Livonia
Sonny's - Schoolcraft and Evergreen, Redford
Lakes - Novi
Mottz' - Fort and Greene in Detroit
Bud's - Van Born and Wayne Rd in Wayne, a former Bray's
Royal - Wyoming and Joy, Detroit
Brayz - Dequinder and 9 Mile, Hazel Park
Greene's - 10 Mile & Orchard Lake
Elmer's - W. Chicago and Oakman, Detroit

This is by no means a complete list. But if anyone is out and about and has a camera and is nearby.... well, you know what to do :-)

(Message edited by busterwmu on April 25, 2007)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6244
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the Dearborn White Tower from a few years back.

Remember what a pain in the ass that construction was? :-)

wt

Still sporting the original logo despite long since ceasing to be a White Tower.

logo

Jman

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, the book store I managed was Doubleday Book Store. If I remember correctly it was at 239 Pierce. Our competitor was Paperbacks Unlimited on the south side of Maple a block or two west of Pierce.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone eat at White Grove on Third and MLK?

Fury13

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have.

Not bad, not great. Just OK, but the burgers hit the spot at 2 am.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tel-Way on John R and 11 rocks!

I love how its literally in the parking lot of some chain...maybe a cvs. I wonder what the owner of the Tel-Way was offered to sell so cvs could have a complete parking lot and/or view of John R. Tel-Way rocks for not selling out.

Funk the big chain ass-holes

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be 51 in August and I can remember eating in one of the White Towers when I was probably 9 or 10 - I remember the hamburger being in the shape of a rectangle - and the chili. This was forever ago. The food was great. I remember all the tile as well, long before I ever knew what a White Castle was - and this was not a Brays -

Fury13

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Softailrider, the next time you're at Geneva's, get the big double cheeseburger to go. It qualifies as a "super slider" -- all the taste of the little burgers, but in a giant, meaty portion.

It's absolute burger heaven.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 50's and 60's, there was a White Castle and a Top Hat on 8 mile and Gratiot. They were right across the street from each other and both were busy.

Detroitfan
Username: Detroitfan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sad to see these places disappearing. Watkins, at Biddle and Northline was torn down in Wyandotte to make way for a drugstore, and a Carters at the end of Southfield on Jefferson was remodeled beyond recognition and is now the Grand River Cafe. I hope someone takes Busterwmu's list and records these before they are all gone. Some of the pics posted are great shots.

Jman

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carolcb, the rectangular burger was at Marcus. There was one on Livernois. Another porcelain palace.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 495
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thnk2mch, is that Bates at Five Mile and Farmington still open?

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Bates at Five Mile and Farmington is still open.

Mercman

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking at the aerial shots of the Michigan Ave in Detroit location and thought it was interesting to see that the Rally's that was built right next door went out of business and is boarded up!

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jman for the Marcus info!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3077
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checkers and Rally's merged eight years ago. Many (if not all) of the Rally's within Detroit closed a few years back. Ditto for some in the burbs.

Mercman

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the one down the road from my work in Troy changed from a Rallys to a Checkers about 4 months ago...but it didn't close.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Bray's on Ford Rd and Inkster, but it got tore down and now it's some Arabic eatery. There is a Bray's on Ford Rd further down in westland, but its not a White castle like building..

Ohhhhh There used to be one on Michigan Ave in Downtown west dearborn. Right next to westborn florist... It was torn down to make more parking I think.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 900
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is a Bray's on Ford Rd further down in westland, but its not a White castle like building

The Bray's in Westland was in a "White Box" for the longest time. It was not that long ago they built a new building next door and tore the white box down.( less than ten years anyways )

Urbanize

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yes, the one down the road from my work in Troy changed from a Rallys to a Checkers about 4 months ago...but it didn't close."

Actually, there's one on Gratiot in Roseville and Van Dyke in Warren that remained opened and went through the changes. I think the franchise owners of one of these locations even reopened the old location on 8 Mile and Ryan on the Detroit side.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericdetfan, I used to work at Westborn. I loved the hamburgers next door

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a greasy spoon on the corner of Milwaukee and the Lodge service drive called the Kangaroo. They had excellent cheeseburger deluxe and B.L.T.s. I wouldn't have eaten much else there though. But Anna did make some awesome cole slaw.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 901
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bud's at Van Born and Wayne in Wayne.

Currently being remodeled into ?

Construction dumpster around back and new materials being installed on the inside.

Fury13

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Midtown/Wayne State area needs one of these places, or an old-time stainless steel diner.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't a big fan of White Castle's or Top Hat burgers. The White Tower restaurants were something else though. A good cup of coffee in a heavy mug and their large burger. It may have been called a "Big Whitey", grilled onions or raw onions, pickles and mustard and ketchup. That was sometimes just enough to tide me over. Kind of hard to find something like that today.

Stinger

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God I love all these restaurants! ;)

I remember going to the White Castle on Gratiot & 8 mile when I was a kid and we'd often eat in the car. In the 70s I remember seeing the prices on the wall outside, I guess they once had carside service?

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: