Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Group seeks redevelopment of Old Cass Tech « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070424/BUSINES S06/70424036

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 711
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm... are we converting it back to an old box factory?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8903
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anything is financially feasible I hope they knock the addition of the back as part of the project.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be shocked if it wasn't a loft development of some kind.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2561
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, A landlocked site with no parking. I see another madison lenox in the picture.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I hope they remove the addition and then redevelop it. I have heard that they couldn't tear it down for 2 or 3 years because it sits so close to the new building which needs to settle first.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Ndavies kinda like the Vinton. Oh wait, you guys added parking into the basement, right.

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a new police headquarters??

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought the whole reason of them building a new cass tech was because there were major structural problems with old cass tech. so how can it be redeveloped if that's the case? and if that's NOT the case, then...why did they build a new cass tech?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8907
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and if that's NOT the case, then...why did they build a new cass tech?

On going maintenance costs and additional capital expenditures that would be required.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Among other things, Jt1, among other things. There's nothing structurally wrong with the building that would rule out re-use.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's the deal with cass tech...would someone care to fill me in? I know that some well-known people went there and all...but what kind of funding does the school receive...better than other Detroit schools? What do kids have to do to get in there? what's their graduation rate and what kinds of colleges do their grads get into?

(Message edited by thejesus on April 24, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 658
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't structural. It was either do a total renovation of the old building or build a new one. DPS finally opted for the new building.

They'd been pulling for a new Cass building a good 20 years before it was actually built. The new addition was actually a bone thrown to them because they couldn't get a new building approved. My class (along with several classes before and after) was teased as possibly being the first class to graduate from the new building. Yet, when I left it was still a football field.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This building should be a Merchandise-Type Mart Thingamabob.

A design center for the whole south-eastern region. It's perfect for it...rooms set up already.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 840
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad that it is in such an odd location: neither here nor there.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for the record, myths about the old Cass Tech originally being built as a box or pickle factory are not based in fact.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this topic is actually already in circulation a little:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/100921.html?1178032976

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, Andylinn, what you just did would be like trading in a new car with low maintenance and works for a brand new car that has multiple issues just because one is older than the other.

(Message edited by Urbanize on May 01, 2007)

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's RFP information...

http://casstechhistoric.org/

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 900
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! I didn't know that the existing conditions report was done by UDM School of Architecture. That is really pretty cool. Lots of times in the studios at school you get to do fun projects and cool designs, but often nothing comes of it. Glad to see this isn't the case with these students.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: