Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Cass Tech - The Original Building - What To Do With It? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As s newly abandoned building, the original Cass Tech building presents some unique possibilities, challenges, and opportunities.

Carin's Detroit recently ran this article:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0430/REG/70430014/1011

What do you think should be done with the building?

I don't think this is an ideal location for condos, but might be a good place for a large store, or shopping center, being so close to downtown. It would be criminal to lose the beautiful building.

What's the history of the building?
what should be done with it?
what WILL happen to it?

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm excited that they're considering uses for the building! It is a treasure. I agree that it wouldn't be good for condos...maybe some sort of shopping that would attract the thousands of students who will be near it every day...

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is an attractive place for a mixed use development...if they clean up the area. With the school there, the masonic temple and Cass Park a short distance away, it has the potential to be an attractive place to reside

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2426
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I think it would lend itself well to a fantastic apartment building, perhaps with *ahem* a grocery store on the ground floor.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5295
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make it into a museum to 19th century teaching of technology, just like they left it.

jjaba, Cass Tech. Class of '59.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about an artist's enclave such as the Russell Industrial Center, with a combination of studios and lofts.

class of '71

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 691
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't picture it as anything other than a school.

Edit: Maybe they could turn it into some type of office building.

-Cass Tech, class of not too long ago

(Message edited by iheartthed on May 01, 2007)

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about centralizing all of DPS operational staff into that building, getting them out of the New Center area and other places around the city.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever they do, will they remove the ugly modern addition stuck onto the side of the building and return it to its classical glory?

Andylinn

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think removing the modern addition is essential. rather ugly, and doesn't match the beauty of the building.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What about centralizing all of DPS operational staff into that building, getting them out of the New Center area and other places around the city."

Not a bad Idea. It would put them closer to the actual city center.

Andylinn

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but if DPS moved from new center to cass tech, what would become of New Center. I sometimes worry about the future of that area, especially the former GM world headquarters and fisher building, two gems in the city.

Andylinn

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This article in the freep just today, following a similar one in Crains Detroit.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll,http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070424/BUSINES S06/70424036

(Message edited by andylinn on May 01, 2007)

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let it sit around and rot like the other countless vacant architecturally significant buildings in Detroit?

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's a huge building shaped like a giant "8" and it was falling apart - LITERALLY - when I left in 2001. I think the developer should use the first three floors for retail/community usage. The auditorium could become some sort of community theater. The gym and pool could also have community use. The upper floors should contain artist studio space in the areas facing interior light court, on the exterior area there should be artist/general apartments. The lower retail areas could also serve as galleries too. I know there is a project here in Cleveland where the the developer converted an old school building into artist lofts, but I haven't paid much attention to it.

I think the above plan will minimize renovation cost, because for any other usage I can't see anything without stripping the building interior back to its steel girders. I think my plan still requires drastic modification and upgrade of the roof, HVAC, electrial and plumbing systems, along with wall modifications.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you think the outside of the annex is ugly, I'm still trying to get those garish colors they used for each floor out of my head. Ugh. One was purple.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"but if DPS moved from new center to cass tech, what would become of New Center. I sometimes worry about the future of that area, especially the former GM world headquarters and fisher building, two gems in the city."

That's why I didn't say it was a GREAT idea.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 903
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is already a thread on this subject. Anyway, here is the link that was posted on it: http://casstechhistoric.org/

The_nerd

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Islandman, IIRC 2=Yellow; 3=Orange 4=Purple, but this was in the "rennovated part of the "old building"

The other colors were blue for the 5th and Green for the 7th and basement. I can't remember if the 6th floor annex section was red, but all of the colors were VERY VERY BRIGHT. It also wasn't uncommon to sit in a bright purple and red classroom. By the time I left, the "rennovated old section" was in worse shape than the section of the original building that was never rennovated.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 781
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I get a "tear that schitt down." No? Aww....

Jjaba

Post Number: 5300
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Sekou, come now. You are talking about our Alma Mater, as in mother.

Your comments are reserved for buildings not associated with the life blood and heritage of those on The Forum. Find some disgusting ruins elsewhere to tear down.

jjaba, Proudly Cass Tech. Printer.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5450
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They couldn't take the ugly 1984 addition off the back without having the rebuild the entire back of the school. The thing was physically melded into the original structure.

I really do hope they'll save it, but it would seem like they'd have to almost completely restructure the interior (i.e. taking it down to the steel). The RFP they released shows how chopped up the layout is. This would be one of the harder renovations.

I know here in Lansing, the many schools we've been forced to close have all been bought and converted to office usage, so that could definitely be an option. I just don't see residential being feasible as, not only would they have to rebuild the interior, but they'd have to fix all of the poor interior infrastructure.

Andylinn

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How hard / costly would it be to upgrade the exterior of the 1984 addition to "match" the rest of the building (quotes used because i know that it would never be done properly)

Danindc

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How hard / costly would it be to upgrade the exterior of the 1984 addition to "match" the rest of the building (quotes used because i know that it would never be done properly)

Depending on a building's historical status, there are certain rules that need to be followed. For example, most buildings on the National Register that receive additions, the architect deliberately designs a facade that stands out. The historical folks like to be able to clearly discern which part of the building is historical, and which part is new. Of course, there is such a thing as being sympathetic.

The complexity of a renovation would depend on the layout of the structural system itself. While the current layout might be confusing, I'm willing to bet that a lot of the "walls" are actually non-load-bearing partitions that could easily be removed. It seems that the biggest item in any renovation would be repairs to the existing structure. I'm going to have to dig and see what I can learn about this particular building, as it's one of my faves. Cass Tech is quite a noble structure that should be preserved, and not left to rot until it's too late!

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as far as I know, the brick courses of the original facade are intact on the west side. The addition basically just appended itself and connected to existing hallways. I would love to see a photograph of the west facade. I know it's come up before, but I can't remember the if anyone found anything... It's true that most of the classrooms have non-load bearing walls. One idea is to connect them via doors to accommodate conversion.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its nice to dream about these things but where's the money going to come from?
Who's going to go shopping there?
I think the developments on Woodward and down on the waterfront will glut the market for new residents. Those aren't cheap and I wonder how many people with dough will move in that area.
I drive by there all the time and I don't see it as very upscale.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 952
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think the developments on Woodward and down on the waterfront will glut the market for new residents. Those aren't cheap and I wonder how many people with dough will move in that area."

That was basically the excuse for not converting the Hudson's building into lofts: too much too soon. Now that the mold has been broken, there is more demand for housing near downtown than in the suburbs. Maybe the old Cass Tech would be a good place for more moderately priced lofts?

"Its nice to dream about these things but where's the money going to come from?"

Chances are that a lot of it would come from a myriad of tax credits and other government funds in addition to low interest special redevelopment funds from banks.

"Who's going to go shopping there?"

The fact that the Cass Tech Development and Preservation Society has put out a request for proposals means that they are basically still open for any type of use from anyone. Still very early at this point, someone will come up with something.

Andylinn

Post Number: 394
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, i can tell you this: if there were a destination store there, in line of Ikea (not that i advocate big box stores) it wouldn't matter what was where... people are driving in droves out to canton of all places... jesus...

Paulmcall

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll keep going out there too.

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

implode it!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5467
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, and for all other's interested, the Cass Tech Development and Preservation Society (who put out the RFP, recently) has a very detailed study done on the building. It includes floor plans, elevations...everything you'll need.

http://www.bureauliving.com/fi les/CT_Report.pdf

Paulmcall

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you seen the buildings across the street from it?
They are empty and falling apart. They have lofts from I75 down to the Majestic on Woodward that are still for sale. While there is a glut of that it makes no sense to build more.
Shopping is a big problem but with insurance rates like they are, who is going to step up?
Guys like to make money and there's a reason why
stores are lacking.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan

The addition was not melded to the back of the old building.

There are two separate foundations. The new building was built up against the old. While in the Architectural curriculum at Cass, we spent a considerable amount of time watching the contractors build the building.

What year did you go to Cass?

Broken_main
CT1983

Jjaba

Post Number: 5309
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, class of '59, printing curriculum.

Make it a Home Depot Plus. Sell lights and fixtures in the Electrical Dept., sell auto parts in the auto shop, sell cds and sheet music in the music dept., sell stationery and do photocopying in the print shop, rent the art dept. out as a gallery, etc.

jjaba, Westside Alum.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck, why not just make it into a Wal-Mart (Joke)

Danindc

Post Number: 2439
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome, Lmichigan! Thanks so much. Now, I'll just have to make some time to look through the material.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5469
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken Main,

Didn't they have to bust out significant portions of the historic backside to connect the two? I wasn't saying it didn't have its own foundation, rather, I think that to connect the two, they'd have had to take significant portions of the west facade and walls out to connect the two. Is this not correct? BTW, what class are you?

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building still functions as a substation for the PLD. Street lights from as far as Comerica Park may still be routed from the basement.....

The_nerd

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMich,

The connection point for the old and new building is at the last wall of the "west facade." The interior portion of the old west facade remained intact with the same plaster and lockers lining the walls. I wouldn't be suprised if some of the old exterior brickwork still exists behind the "new wall."

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: