Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » St. Albertus, R.C. Church, St. Aubin & Canfield « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Concon
Username: Concon

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To correct a 2006 posting, let me say that we who were members of St. Albertus R.C.C. are maintaining it so that it continues to be alive and active.

Masses are held generally every two weeks and the site can be viewed for the schedule.

It was most regretable that the first "Polish American Cardinal," Edmund Szoka, in Detroit chose to close the church in 1989 but we are trying to maintain it, despite the sacrifices. We invite all to attend and help.

St Albertus Church, Detroit
Founded in 1872, St. Albertus was the first Polish Roman Catholic Church in Detroit, Michigan. ... St. Albertus has been designated by the State of ...www.stalbertus.org

For more information, contact Matt Baka, who lives there, <albertus1884@yahoo.com>.

This is the 2006 posting that is in error.

Alas! Poor St. Albertus, The original and the first Polish dominate church in Detroit's lower east side.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I visited St. Albertus for the first time last fall. It was truly an amazing church. I have experience and knowledge in church maintenance-especially those not regularly in use.

I would like to help out with this group if there is anything that can be done to keep this jewel in top condition.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A photo of the school from a few months back:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /179/408245051_5f666478b1_b.jp g

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be curious to know how many people turn up to mass at St Albertus, as well the other churches in the cluster, St Josaphat, Sweetest Heart Of Mary.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes it's best to treat it like the old days and get off your ass and attend.

Larry

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to but I live in Illinois.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There seemed a good crowd at St. Josaphat's the time I went there (I'm from out state )-very friendly, an upbeat atmosphere. Sweetest Heart of Mary is surrounded by fences and gates that are locked shortly after mass is over, which gives a rather "prison-like" mentality to the place. It may subliminally seep down to the church goers there, also.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albertus routinely brings in 25-50 people to its mass.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another snap I ran across:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_30 93.jpg?t=1178159155

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a photo gallery from a 2003 Critical Mass bike ride (and St. Albertus church tour): http://www.m-bike.org/gallery/ april2003

Kurpie
Username: Kurpie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poletown was historically not only the Immaculate Conception Church, closed and destroyed for the GM Plant, but historically included St. Albertus, St. Stanislaus, Sweetest Heart of Mary, St. Hyacinth, Immaculate Conception and St. Josaphats.
The break-up and destruction of the Poletown area began decades ago. A large part was destroyed by the building of the Ford and Chrysler Freeways, and no Polish attorneys helped the evicted people get proper compensation for their losses. Again during the destruction of the Immaculate Conception Church, the then vicar of the area. Bishop Arthur Krawczak, refused to help and did not pay a visit to the church offering spiritual feelings and solace. Further when low cost housing was built in the area and the then residents submitted applications, they were told that their applications were lost.

Larry

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The book "Polish Detroit And The Kolasinski Affair" by Lawrence Orton, has several mentions of St Albertus.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lack of action, the seeming corruption, along with the freeway construction, all lent itself to what is left of Poletown today. Thanks for the history all. This is a sad and interesting story, which has yet to be concluded.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a good reason why they have gates and fences surrounding the parking lot.
Do they still have guys guarding the cars on the street during services at St. Albertus?
I wouldn't want to attend church there unless someone I knew was watching my car.

Swiburn

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Josaphat Church was fine-we parked on the street. No gates.
But Sweetest Heart of Mary had a very depressing, prison like atmosphere surrounding it.(most likely due to the gates)
I was shocked at the neighborhood surrounding St. Albertus. It looked like one of the poorest in the city. However, I didn't see any security guards in the parking lot on a Sunday a.m. There were a few people inside, working on Christmas Eve mass plans.
But I question keeping up a church as a hobby-much like St. John Cantius was kept going.

Larry

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, their's so much beauty in places like St Albertus and Sweetest Heart Of Mary that it gives you hope for tomorrow.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely nothing happens around St. Albertus. Density is low; there are barley any houses left, no businesses and few people. I would not be worried about your car. It is a great church and the people are doing what they can for now keep things in tack. I encourage people to go; they need as much assistance and capital as possible.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Absolutely nothing happens around St. Albertus.

I went to mass at St. Albertus last year and there was a store front church kitty corner to it that was also having services. No one stole our car.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

st albertus is my friend on myspace, thanks baka!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 949
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there regularly armed police officers in front of churches in Detroit? The one I have been going to here in downtown Charlotte, NC has a uniformed armed city police officer in front the whole morning. I haven't asked any members if maybe there was a specific incident that later lead to an officer regularly being there now. It did get me thinking that I don't think anywhere in Detroit the DPD is in armed attendance on Sunday mornings regularly at an churches, are they?

Swiburn

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I didn't see any guards at St. Josaphat, Sweetest Heart or St. Albertus. I parked on the street and had no problem. There are homeless people around who might ask you for money, however, and they have to be kept out of the church because they harass people and leave their food, liquor bottles, etc. on the pews.

Kurpie
Username: Kurpie

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

subway in Detroit. Interested in info. A lot of Detroit is above the old salt mines, no longer used. Why cant these be utilized for a subway line, it is already dug up and open. I would appreciate someone clearing this up.

Albertus1884
Username: Albertus1884

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area around St. Albertus is mostly open fields, with little foot traffic but considerable road traffic(it's a heavy route for trucks to Eastern Market). I've been a volunteer there for about 8 years and have never heard of anyone's car been tampered with

Albertus1884
Username: Albertus1884

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also the Church is open for viewing on Saturdays during the summer, from 10am to usually about 3pm, depending on how late the volunteers keep it open

Concon
Username: Concon

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All,

As the first Polish Roman Catholic Church in Detroit, there are many histories. Rev. Joseph Swastek wrote "Detroit's Oldest Polish Parish: St. Albertus," (Detroit: St. Albertus, 1973).

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 6/10/01/st_albertus.htm

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 6/09/07/sweetest_heart_of_mary .htm

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 6/09/06/st_josaphat.htm

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The riot of 43 spilled into that neighborhood: there was a brawl at that park,cant think of the name right off hand, and a black man was shot while standing at the intersection of Mack and Chene. The area that the church is in has some what of a rural appearance.Chene still has a few buildings with Polish names. 1920s and 30s the area would have been bordered by the Oakland Avenue Jewish-black community and Italian neighborhoods farther east.

Humanmachinery
Username: Humanmachinery

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took no joy in growing up Catholic, and yet... that is a gorgeous church. The passion and percision in the architecture is gorgeous. It cannot be allowed to fall to the wrecking ball.

Redhoney313
Username: Redhoney313

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was married at St. Albertus on 6/13/08. The group was absolutely wonderful in acomodating the wedding party and the rehearsal. It was super affordable at $300 for everything... I'd like to spread the word! If anyone is looking for a gorgeous, historic church... this is it!
St. Albertus

St. Albertus 2

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 580
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is so beautiful. It's not just a church. It's a work of art.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: