Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Detroit Creamery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yooperindetroit
Username: Yooperindetroit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather during the early 1940's worked for the Detroit Creamery at the Eblung or Ebling facility. Hi job was to hitch horses to the milkwagons. He lived on Hecla Street during this time, which is near WSU. Does anyone know where the physical location of the plant was? He said he walked to work, so I am not sure if it was on West Grand Boulevard or somewhere in that area.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if this is the same dairy (might've been Farm Maid?), but my dad used to have to pick up product at one on Woodward across the street from Kresge's

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5320
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were served by Detroit Creamery horse and buggy deliveries in our milk chute on Northlawn and Schoolcraft. Sometimes, the milk was frozen.

jjaba, Proudly Westside in the 1940s.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one at W. Adams and Grand River on the southeast corner. I think there were other locations around Detroit that I remember seeing in old maps, but don't recall their locations right now.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milkwagon from one of the Detroit creameries, on 73(?) Bagley.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he walked to work it's possible he worked at the one on Sterling St. A guy I used to work with said he worked there as a kid. He lived on Trumbull. If you were to go there from WSU, you would take Trumbull towards W. Grand to the light at Holden make a left. Trumbull curves after going under the RR tracks and turns into Lincoln. After making your left go to the stop sign and make another left. There is a big building that looks like an old bank on the corner. The 2nd or 3rd building on your right is it. Where the steps are is where I was told the horses used to come out of. This was 4 years ago hopefully the building is still there. Maybe Bullet can get you a photo a lot of his shots are close to there.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3287
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Creamery & Ebling Creamery, 1946:

Ebling Creamery

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle had the last horse drawn milk delivery in the city. He worked for Sealtest, out of the St. Jean depot.

Yooperindetroit
Username: Yooperindetroit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info...I spoke to him and the Sterling Street plant rang a bell. He lived in Detroit in the winter of 43 and entered the service in 1944, so he was not in the city that long. I appreciate the assistance and I will have to drive down there and see if the building still stands.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yooperindetroit,
My grandfather held the same position at Wayne Creamery in SW Detroit. I've seen many old milk bottles at antique shops along US12. There was one shop across from MIS in Brooklyn that had several dozen bottles from detroit companies. I do not remember if there were any from Detroit Creamery. But then again I was not looking for one. I am still searching for one from Wayne Creamery. If anybody has seen one let me know.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5329
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yorgassen and his trusty horse Swede delivered to us on Northlawn Ave. on the Westside. The cream rose to the top in the milk chute and froze up pretty good in winter.

jjaba.

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boshna seeks a creamery that would service an EEV home. Any recommendations?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3315
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although my advertisement posted above doesn't list it, it appears that Ebling's main office was at 1490 Holden, near the corner of Sterling Street; the building with the light-colored roof:

Ebling Creamery

Jjaba

Post Number: 5331
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM, where's the stables?
I wanna see where Swede lived.

She was only a stableman's daughter and all the horsemen knew her!

Merci, jjaba.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5041
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detrola,
It took me over a year of searching before I found one on ebay.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2201
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detrola,
It took me over a year of searching before I found one on ebay.

Never give up. I was jokingly discussing finding buried treasure with a contractor and he told a story of uncovering a massive cache of ancient bottles on one of his jobs. Miracles do happen.

Hudsonut1
Username: Hudsonut1

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there a Twin Pines Dairy? I seem to recall that from my Wayne days, up to 1955. I have been trying to find a bottle from them.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure Twin Pines
was TV's Milky the Clown's Sponsor

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The milkman who delivered to our house in Dearborn was nicknamed "Peaches". Used to throw us kids big chucks of ice. Seemed like the greatest thing on a hot summer day.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Creamery building will be turned into lofts.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20081215/FREE/812150275

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: