Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Black and Tans in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I been told that Detroit had some great Jazz clubs like The Bluebird in the 50's and 60's where you could hear the likes of Charlie Parker and Miles Davis. Anyone have stories or pix on this subject? I know a lot of great players came from here.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9275
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard the term used for jazz musicians.

Ordering a Black and Tan used to be one of the ways to piss off an Irishman in a pub...those were the colors of the British Army uniforms when they were oppressing my ancestors and enslaving them.

It denotes a drink made with Guinness at the bottom, and a spoon-slowed Bass Ale (or another tan color beer) on top.

Guinness with Harp lager wouldn't piss the same guy off, call it a Half-n-Half though.

There are a few folks down at Bert's Marketplace I can introduce you to that were around when these guys were playing here. One fellow's dad used to be a biggie with Motown later, but housed some of these folks when they were travelling through in the fifties. Same guy was Stevie Wonder's first 'friend' assigned by Berry Gordy...he's got some stories.

Just go into Bert's and talk to the old-timers...they know that Black Bottom spirit is still living at the Marketplace.

Cheers!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A black-and-tan club, back in the segregated '20s, '30s, '40s, and '50s, was an entertainment venue where the talent onstage was black, but the audience catered to was mixed (but usually attracting many whites). These clubs were usually located in black neighborhoods or commercial districts. In Detroit, the term "show bar" usually referred to a black-and-tan club. The most famous one was the Flame (1949-64) at John R and Canfield.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 851
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The BlueBird Inn wasn't a "Black and Tan", it was a neighborhood bar with great music. From 1946 until it's music license was yanked by the Union around 1959, the BBI was Detroit's premier modern jazz club. Miles lived in Det for several months in 1953 and worked at the BBI. Bird played at the BBI more than once.
Fury13 is correct, B&Ts offered black entertainment for a white audience. Many folks considered the Club Plantation, located in the basement of the Norwood Hotel, to be Paradise Valley's finest B&T.
Beans Bowles' sons are involved with Bert's Marketplace and I think Gannon is suggesting you speak with them. Beans was a Manager at Motown but prior to that he worked in Maurice King's band at the Flame.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out a book titled "Before Motown" by Lars Bjorn and Jim Gallert - the definitive word on the subject of Detroit Jazz

Gannon

Post Number: 9276
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the schooling on the term, now that I know how it is applied HERE, it is just as revolting to me. Clubs where blacks played FOR whites? Nah, if the crowd isn't mixed with everyone welcome than it just cannot be called entertainment!

Jimg,

Yeah, I was specifically thinking of Harold, I don't really know his brother. Get him loose and he can turn on the storytelling. He's usually way too busy running the show out back, though.

Cheers!

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Waz, I'll ck it out. I've heard some cool stories from old timers about Yusef Lateef playing chess at a club in Detroit.

Jimg

Post Number: 852
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Different times, Gannon. And notice the names of B&Ts - Cotton Club, Club Plantation, Club Congo...you see a pattern? That's how black entertainment was packaged for white consumption: Dear old southland or darkest Africa themed establishments...McKinney's Cotton Pickers? Bunch of college-educated guys out of Springfield, Ohio. Most of 'em hadn't ever seen a cotton field, let alone picked cotton. Before playing the Graystone they were called McKinney's Syncos.

Jimg

Post Number: 853
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pythonmaster, check out Yusef's music, too, if you haven't already. Deeply moving.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13
If I remember, a Black And Tan club or bar was a place blacks and whites could go into and not get hassled,just enjoy the intertainment.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven, you're correct about that. The "Tan" is a reference to Caucasians.

Jimg

Post Number: 854
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B&Ts evolved into what you described, Caldogven. But by that time the term B&T was slipping from our vocabulary.
New York's Cotton Club was a famous (maybe THE most famous) Black and Tan in the 1920s.

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a fan of Yusef and love the flute stuff and his Spartacus theme. I'm told there was a place that he often played and could be seen playing chess there when he wasn't performing. Detroit has a rich history of fine players such as Joe Henderson, Bennie Maupin, Charles McPherson etc

Jimg

Post Number: 855
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might be Klein's Show Bar, Yusef worked there for three years.

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yusef's CD "Yusef Lateef's Detroit Latitude 42 30 longitude 83" is cool.
Jimg-are there any other CD's of songs written about Detroit?
dave

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A pretty informative article with some good photos on Detroit jazz (Stompin' at the Graystone: Jazz in Detroit 1917-1940) can be found here: http://www.ipl.org.ar/exhibit/ detjazz/Stompin.html

Having cut my musical chops in hole-in-the-wall rock clubs, this place looks downright plush!

A master list of Detroit area ballrooms can be found at this thread: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/101647.html?1178815568. The poster is looking for photos, maps and other memorabilia.

Hoog
Username: Hoog

Post Number: 631
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It denotes a drink made with Guinness at the bottom, and a spoon-slowed Bass Ale (or another tan color beer) on top.

actually, Guinness goes on top.

Gannon

Post Number: 9476
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leave it to a good barkeep to know the rules...heh.

I drink mine straight, but of course, you already knew that!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mid/late 60's a great Black & Tan was a small bar over by Central HS....called THE GRAND.....I remember Lou Rawls, Les McCann and others were featured.....another place in the 60's on the eastside was Francels over on Connor...and Warren.....

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if this was a "black & tan" but I remember going to a club called Mermaids Cove(or was it Cave?) It was located downtown bhind the Crowley's store. The location later bcame the Red Garter. There was a great sax player-King Bartel-Dynamo of the sax who played frequently there. They usually had a 4 piece jazz group performing nitely. Usually it was a mixed crowd-no problems. Of course this pre-dated 1967.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Red Garter on Washington Blvd. Did It move to the Mermaids Cave location? The Cave was on Library.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure if R G moved frm the Blvd but if Library bordered Crowley's then that indeed was where the Cave was located & I seem to remember driving downtown on one of my visits to my dad(I moved to Dallas 06/76)& I'm almost positive R G was in the old Cave location.

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Bert's one of the few places where folks can enjoy BeBop on a regular basis these days?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5356
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1959-1961, jjaba was at the Minor Key Club alot.
It was a jazz coffee house arrangement on Dexter and Burlingame. (Now vacant lot)

We saw all the greats. Miles Davis, Ramsey Lewis, Maynard Ferguson, Stan Getz, Yusef Lateef, Oscar Peterson, Adderly Brothers, Slide Hampton, John Coletrane, George Shearing, and many more.

jjaba, Westsider at the Black and Tan club.

Pythonmaster

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You heard Coltrane live; you are my friend.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5360
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In some other threads, jjaba had recalled even more jazz all-stars that played The Minor Key on Dexter back then. The club was a storefront, turned into a club. It had House of Blues style small catwalk with a stairway so you could look down on the action. The store had a high tin ceiling.

The Jewish owner stood at the door, collecting 50 cents each. jjaba was peeved that Cokes were 25 cents, when you could buy them at a store for a nickel. but he learned that drinks had to be marked up to keep the doors open.

Black and tan, and if you even whispered during the show, poeople would yell "Shudd-up" at you.
Everybody parked safely on the street and went home at 2am, often to the falling of glistening snow in winter.

John Coletrain's playlist includes several Detroit clubs. Do the homework and find the dates.

jjaba, Fond Memories on the Westside.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet Nancy Wilson used to make the Detroit Black and Tan scene in the 60's.......another small club called the Blue Note was on the eastside...don't think JJaba ever entered the BN.....but the minor key was very cool and safe.....

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: