Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » If You Were Elected Mayor What Would You Do First? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd crack down on quality of life crimes like littering and pissing on the street, and fix up little things like turning empty lots into green spaces with a bench or two. what would you all do?

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fire the clowncil, tear down the burned out homes, put people in jail for tagging, get a transit system that works, fix the schools, more police, on and on and on

Nyct

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know the list is endless ... i should have been more specific. my bad. what would be the very first affordable things you would do as mayor based on the current budget?

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Find ways to come up with the money to pay for all the things Miss Cleo wants done.

Nyct

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can you elaborate el jimbo? how would you raise money?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 711
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What would be the very first affordable things you would do as mayor based on the current budget?

I would pay the moving expense of any resident who wanted to relocate to another city OUT OF STATE up to a max amount. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than throwing good money on bad. There is no reason to "fix" anything in Detroit, it is beyond repair. The new jobs here in the USA are not located in Detroit (or Michigan for that matter), they are not coming to Detroit and never will.

The reality of the situation is all the attempts at revitalization have been miserable failures. Detroit is the cancer that is taking Michigan down with it. How many more decades are going to be wasted throwing money at this bottomless pit of a city that is administered by a bunch of crooks and idiots? What was known as "white flight" has been replaced by black flight. What person in their right mind would want to raise children and send them to Detroit Public Schools? The Detroit Police Department is useless. City Parks are in a shambles. Sadly, Detroit has not even hit rock bottom yet.

JMHO.

Nyct

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow. beyond repair??? pretty harsh. as a native of brooklyn who moved here in august, i've always admired the resiliency of the people of detroit. surely not everyone thinks that detroit is 'beyond repair'. i like to remain positive about the future of this town. maybe i'm just being a naive newcomer who hasn't been around long enough to form an opinion.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Broken Window theory; blight begats more blight. If the little crimes are left unchecked, the greater ones slide down easy. It's been criticized in the past but is generally true. It worked for New York.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F ixing_Broken_Windows#The_theor y_in_action

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Turn over control of Belle Isle to the Huron-Clinton Metropark system in a similar manner to how they transferred control of the zoo. Detroit already pays into the park system while receiving little benefit from them. Having a park in the system that is more accessible to city residents justifies the expenditure made by the city into this program.

It also would allow for reduction or transfer of staff within the Parks & Rec Department and other cost savings measures from not needing city funds to maintain Belle Isle anymore. Personnel and equipment could be re-assigned to different areas. Perhaps the other parks in Detroit could get mowed more frequently or those resources could address mowing other areas of the city that require city maintenance (the boulevard islands that have grown out of control like has been mentioned in the Rosedale Park thread for example)

2. End pensions for city employees. It would be unfair to tell retirees and older employees that their retirements are over, but some changes need to be made for the future in order to make the city more fiscally responsible. I propose enacting something similar to what the state did with their employees back in the late 90s. Under my proposal, all retirees and city employees with 15 years of service or more with the city would be eligible to keep their city pension. However, all city employees with less than 15 years of service and all new employees will be placed in a 401k program. This won't provide any short term relief, but it will help the city's long term fiscal health.

3. Become more efficient with bookkeeping. From my experiences with city government, it appears that the systems they use are antiquated and inefficient. Updating these systems will improve the speed in which business is done in Detroit and help to eliminate bureaucracy.

4. Eliminate more staff. This goes for all departments as well as the staff for the Mayor and City council. The amount of city employees per capita in Detroit is embarrassing. There is no reason the Mayor needs an 8 person body guard team or the City Council needs such large staffs. Also, if the more efficient systems from #3 are implemented, perhaps the support staffs of various departments (HR, IT, etc) can be reduced. Instead of having another secretary maybe we could get one more cop on the street.

5. Code enforcement, back taxes and illegal dumping. This is a double whammy to the city. If a property owner isn't paying their taxes or keeping their property up to code, they are making Detroit a worse place visually at the same time they are also not paying their fair share needed for the city to take steps to improve the surrounding area. Get tough on this stuff and there will be some more money in the coffers and perhaps it will force people to take pride in their property and their surroundings.

6. Partner with private organizations and the business community. There is only so much money available for programs like tearing down dilapidated structures. Perhaps some outreach to the business community could convince them to donate matching funds for these programs.

I'm probably way off on a lot of these and I might have some more ideas, but these are thing i can think of off the top of my head.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 7749
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I added this edit after reading El Jimbo's excellent post above mine. I would add what I've said below in addition/conjuction with what El J suggests:

I would choose a group of people - for example, South Koreans, or Chinese. Perhaps a combo of 2 or 3 groups. I choose these groups to difuse white/black fingerpointing, or to create a new group to criticize, take your pick.

I would invite 500,000 of those folks to submit applications to come to the USA (working in conjunction with the immigration folks, of course)

Things I'd be looking for: education, job skills, enough money to live for at least one year, language skills, ability to build/maintain a home, etc.

I would offer this group free homes and, if desired, other "infrastructure" in Detroit. In return, each person in the group would agree to live in Detroit for 10 years, and would agree in advance: no public aid of any sort beyond the free homes/infrastructure. Property taxes waived first year (there are none now) and then added in, 10% each year, increasing to 100% after 10 years.

Benefit to them: quick citizenship in the USA, a home (in need of major work) and enough other citizenry to buy from and sell to.

Benefit to Detroit: 500,000 new residents who are self-sufficient and industrious, and who would immediately begin work on the most neglected infrastructure of the city: private homes. Plus eventual resumption of property taxes.

A huge social experiment, yes - but a step above the illegal open border chaos we currently have, with most/all arrivals bypassing the COD.

Wonder where Detroit would be if this program was begun 1 month after the Detroit riots, 40 years ago this summer.

Just my $.02

(Message edited by karl on May 29, 2007)

Nyct

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good find hans57 and great ideas from everyone else so far. ideas don't have to be 100% realistic to be included here. maybe if this thread gets long enough, we can send it to kwami himself.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 895
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would take the following approach based on this analogy. The patient (CoD) is slowly dying and the politicians keep trying to cure it as if they were doctors with the right diagnosis and medicine to make the patient well again. Just like doctors are sometimes accused of "playing God" and having enormous egos that ofter get in the way of a correct diagnosis and a successful recovery of the patient, so too are our politicians (and this part of the analogy is true of most politicians everywhere, not just Detroit).

Instead, let's view this from the patient's perspective. When someone is critically injured, in shock or near death, what is the body's natural response to try and save itself? It starts shutting down blood and nerve supply to the extremities and focuses it on that part of the bodily functions that are most critical for life, namely the brain, the brain stem, spinal column and vital organs which are all located in the torso.

If the municipal budget is analogous to the dying patient's blood and nerve supply, what city services are comparable to the critical body functions?

I would argue that they are only those services which are essential to the health, safety and welfare of it's citizens, workers and visitors. I would further limit the interpretation of "health, safety and welfare" to mean those services which can have "life or death" consequences today - not in the future. That interpretation would exclude spending on those non-police department services considered to have "quality of life" impacts.

Therefore as an effort to gather the scarce resources and focus them where they can allow the patient to heal itself, I would strip out all spending in the upcoming budget except for that which is required to provide the police, fire, waste collection, water and sewer, streetlight and grass cutting/snow removal services.

For departments that generate revenue but which still require a subsidy from the general fund, I would immediately freeze their fee structures and order them to make the painful cuts necessary to operate within their revenue stream. For example, if the Airport Department can't operate within the approximately $900K of annual revenue the CAY airport generates without an additional $582K general fund subsidy, shut the place down and you can save even more.

To reset the budget for the coming year, I would base it on last year's spending for only those critical services and then (hopefully) roll back the millage rate to generate exactly enough revenue to cover the reduced spending. A lower millage rate could provide the growth stimulus that in future years would generate move revenue without raising the millage rate and which would then allow the restoration of some of the "nice, but not necessary" services.

Yes, this proposal is probably unrealistic because there would be too much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the many city workers and their unions. However, unless a drastic action like this is taken, the city unions need only to look at what has happened to their UAW brothers and their employers over the last thirty years to see what happens if you continue to operate as if you are stuck in the past.

Nyct

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vote for mikeg!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a trip to Hawaii... Aloha m-fers!

Just kidding. I don't know where to start.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would get FEMA to finaly get here after waiting 40 years to dig us from the rubble of the 1967 riots.
I would HAVE MARTHA Reeves call all her rich Hollywood friends to invest in the city. "the return of the Motor City"... Motor City museum, Motown cafe, Motown statues of fame, ESPN ZONE.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 672
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would I do if elected? Shoot myself.

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would fire the Kilpatrick clan and hire members of my family to run the city.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would push for a ward system for the city council.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1.)GET QUICKEN LOANS AND ROCK FINANCIAL DOWNTOWN
2.)Attract High Rise buildings to West Riverfront along with renovation of vacant West riverfront warehouses, etc., and make a better connection between Downtown and the Western Side, ala Corktown/Mexicantown.
3.)EXPAND Cobo north, south, and west. Bringing size to 1.5 million sq.ft.
4.)Work with suburbs and government to get a Woodward Starter Light Rail Line from Hart Plaza/Jefferson Under Campus Martius all the way north to Birmingham, with future expansion to Pontiac.
5.)Revitalize abandoned neighborhoods.

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ive said it once and id said it again, i would upgrade every traffic signal and street light on big streets such as
-W Fort *
-E Jefferson*
-Grand River*
-W Grand Blvd*
-W 7 Mile*
-Gratiot *
-Greenfield*
-Dexter (from Joy to Davison)
-ALL Service Drives (e.g. 96, 94, 75)
and the rest of the insections would be strung over head

* means every intersection
see pic below

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it would be satisfactory to see uniformity occur in the city

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 822
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see uniformity, too. Junction Ave. west from the Fisher Freeway has cast iron black historic lights on the west side and 1970's lights on the east side. It is annoying. Also, those light have not been on in weeks.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 823
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see uniformity, too. Junction Ave. west from the Fisher Freeway has cast iron black historic lights on the west side and 1970's aluminum lights on the east side. It must, at the least, be bad fung shui.
Also, those light have not been on in weeks.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like new streetscapes all together, not just uniformity in the street poles as some of the members already know. However, the FIRST thing I would do is assure the public with safety by possibly reissueing Neighborhood Watch Programs and Groups and allowing them to handle the issues to an extent without interfering with the Vigilante law (such as alerting neighbors of issues and if they see something wrong immediately to try and prevent it). Next, make some of my worthwhile Neighborhoods seem a little more ritzy. Of course, these are all only dreams when you have no money.

Nyct

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how would everyone attract retail businesses and fill in all that empty office space downtown?

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL You guys talking about the traffic light are funny. My partner cussed me out over those damn things!!! (You would not believe how he went off). they are pretty screwed up! LOL

The first thing I would do would be to get the owners of those abandonded and dangerous buildings/houses and hold them accountable for them, either repair or tear them down.

I would also (and I know Im gonna get in trouble for this and believe me, Im a MAJOR preservationist) implode the MCS. I think its gone guys, there havent been windows in it for years and Im sure what wood is by all the windows is rotted. (Not gonna be a favorite with forumers though).

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fire the majority of the city gov workers

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then what do you do with all of the unemployed residents?

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would steal things. Hire three times more people than reasonably necessary to sit around my office ignoring phone calls from taxpayers not smart enough to have donated to my campaign. Buy really nice things for myself with their money. Outlaw typing in CAPITAL LETTERS within City limits. Give fat contracts to buddies. Make prank phone calls to Roger Penske. Sell everything to Rock Financial. Hire Omni Corp. to build me a bodyguard. Piss off anyone who cared to listen. Take vacations. General stuff like that.

Susanarosa: I would put them all on busses and drive them to States that could really use the population boost. Wyoming comes to mind.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

greenspace...hire the homeless out to farm them

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first thing I would do is call for and organize a summit of all the leaders in the region to brainstorm ideas to help improve the economy. Then I would call on the citizens of the city to begin neighborhood associations so that all areas are represented. Needs for neighborhoods can be petitioned to the city by these association representatives. I would also try to get the city spending in budget and probably have to let go of some of the folks that have been coasting on the "buddy system".
And on a personal sidenote: I would immediately tear up that new cement pad on Belle Isle.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get rid of all the naysayers that detract from people who try hard to make Detroit a better place. That would probably split this blog evenly I believe. Positive energy breeds itself, as does negative.

Detroitfan
Username: Detroitfan

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't give up on Detroit yet. A huge problem looming for everyone is a shortage of water. The thing that made Detroit a great location for a city will play a role again. Proximity to fresh water will eventually cause people to be unable to relocate to stupid arid areas like AZ, NM, and southern CA. Always support politicians that stand up against great lakes water diversion. Given the huge amount of vacant land some areas are prime for development.Next, open a few grocery stores making it convenient to live in the city.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 7797
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, "stupid arid areas like AZ, NM, and southern CA" are thriving - I suggest you check out minor sources of water like the CO River which, while taxed, are doing OK. Further, desalinization works better each day.

Perhaps in 100 years, after we're all gone, Detroit will finally rise from the ashes of 40 years ago this summer. Then, finally, folks may play VHS tapes of Bill Cosby and take his wisdom to heart and have plenty to drink to boot.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Start the biggest litter clean up and enforcement effort the world has ever seen.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was elected mayor I would go into shock, because I wasn't running for mayor in the first place.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first order of business would be to draw up a cognitive plan that would keep Miss Cleo, Karl, and Perfectgentleman from ever stepping foot in the city. Then I would hold a party at the Manoogian Mansion with tooooooooooooooooons of strippers.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 948
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Here, Here.

Seeing as how my handle is Mayor_sekou it would be hard for me not to respond to this thread. Id initially do things that are easy and possible but very helpful. Meaning I would fix problems we have already instead of planning for that 80 story skyscraper.

1. One thing I would for sure do is rezone a large percentage of the city. I would work to get rid off the large percentage of space zoned for industrial, most of which is abandoned or soon will be. The 50's ain't coming back so we should accept that and move on.

Higher density = Higher sustainability to me anyway. I would much for all residential and commercial strips to be rezoned with densities in mind of over 10,000 per sq. mi. at least. Especially in residential areas where there is high levels of abandonment.

2. Privatize a lot non essential city services. This means trash pick up, etc.

3. Be very tough with the unions. This is assuming I don’t need them to get re-elected. But I would dangle the threat of mass privatization of any and every department outside of the police and fire department over their heads and force them to make a lot of concessions, which would ultimately save the city money.

4. Have a very active role in DPS and endorse the spread of alternative (I.e. charter) schooling. I would want to run the DPS as I would run any other department with a IRON FIST. And I would promote the creation of a lot of new private and charter schools throughout the city, especially since we have so many abandoned schools now.

5. Cut the fat out of every department in the city. All unnecessary employees, procedures, properties would be removed ASAP. It is not the city’s job to play GM. We don’t need to hire as many people as we do.

6. Burn all red tape. Make it easy for an aspiring developer or entrepreneur to get an answer from the city. Whether they have 3 employees of 3000 we would listen, respond , and help anyone set up shop in the city of Detroit.

And I could list literally 100’s more and maybe I will another time but I got to go for now.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5556
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sekou, city government don't run schooling, citizens run schooling. You wouldn't be running it with anything, iron fist or otherwise.

Considering the state of the city....

1. A complete restructuring (making smaller) of city government including everything from privatization, consolidation, to complete dismantling of non-essential services. I hate to say it as I usually hate this form of government, but perhaps the city needs a 'manager-council' form of government reducing the power of both the mayor and city council.

2. After all of the cuts, using some of the newly found money to hire a plethora of new police and public safety officers. A good chunk of the new found wealth would also go towards a new department geared towards tracking down owners of abandoned properties and going through the proper channels to collect back taxes and do something with their properties, not to mention bolstering code enforcement.

3. I'd also like to see an official program or policy put in place steering residents out of (offering incentive) largely demolished neighborhoods towards greater density neighborhoods like Kilpatrick is already doing with his neighborhoods programs, but in an unofficial manner.

And so very much more.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 794
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Police everywhere, including the neighborhoods, so people have safe homes and neighborhoods. I think it has to start there.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One thing I would for sure do is rezone a large percentage of the city. I would work to get rid off the large percentage of space zoned for industrial, most of which is abandoned or soon will be.

And how would rezoning Industrial areas help?

So that houses can be built there? Houses aren't being built in the areas that are already zoned residential.

Plus the cleanup needed in these industrial areas to be turned residential (or even commercial for that matter) would cost a fortune.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Receivership.

Gspark
Username: Gspark

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my first act as mayor would be to fire all the corrupt police officers and city employees, then i would hire all new people and start fresh

Exmotowner

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt read every post so pardon me if I repeat. The first thing I think needs to be done is Highland Park has to be addressed. It is an ulcer right in the middle of the city. I think it needs to be annexed into the city. I would find a way to put more police on the streets. I would also address the PR problem detroit has and advertise a positive spin on the city! I would beg for folks to come back to detroit. I would then adress every neighborhood. Starting with Palmer park, Have a meeting with all the owners of the buildings, chiefs of police for the city and get involved in making that one of the hippest places in the city and beg the gay folks to come back. Also I would have a team set up to adress all the abandoned buildings/houses in the city and hold the owners accountable. I dont know when it became accetable to just walk away from your property and just let it rot and add to the blight! All the solutions sound good and easy in my head but I know the problems are almost insurmountable!

Nyct

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets hear some creative ideas besides higher pay that would attract more people to become police officers.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact that their helping their city in its time of need. O, and get them some of those new Dodge Charger Police cars, there's a nice piece of Detroit steel.

Money is the biggest incentive, and you'll be arresting people you knew in high school...

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City council would be voted on by districts rather than at large.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“Sekou, city government don't run schooling, citizens run schooling. You wouldn't be running it with anything, iron fist or otherwise.”

Well if I am not allowed to have any say in DPS then I would vouch for other alternatives to replace or force the system to become more competitive (i.e. efficient). I do believe Kwame tried to gain some control over DPS a couple years ago with some failed proposal, in 20 years if nothing changes I doubt the resistance will be so tough. Then my Iron Fist will rain over all of Detroit’s children. Bwahahaha.

And how would rezoning Industrial areas help?

So that houses can be built there? Houses aren't being built in the areas that are already zoned residential.

Plus the cleanup needed in these industrial areas to be turned residential (or even commercial for that matter) would cost a fortune. “

It wouldn’t hurt. Last time I checked the city’s master plan I would estimate that up to 20 percent of the city’s total land area was dedicated to industrial usage. Of which I would also estimate is less than half occupied and would probably be less so around time I’d run for mayor if I ever do. Rezoning it wouldn’t produce houses immediately but in the long run it couldn’t hurt.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl couldn't be more correct. My sentiments exactly. I'm actually looking forward to my senior years and reading how "black flight" from Detroit is interpreted by the media. I was there. I saw it. Somehow or another it will be blamed on whitey and nobody will be listening.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have to agree - get rid of that damn train station for good. It has become a national symbol of Detroit much like Kwame & General Motors.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well "Why" if they all have attitudes like you ...I am glad they left. Great another Detroit bashing suburbanite on here. What is the count up to now 3,004

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wake up in a cold sweat from the worst nightmare imaginable.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2573
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first thing Mayor Fnemecek would do is sell every piece of property the City of Detroit owns that is outside of our city limits. Rackham Golf Course. Camp Brighton. That portion of the water system that is outside of the city limits. Even the Detroit Zoo.

With money we receive from the sale, begin making some major upgrades to the police and fire departments as well as to DWSD itself. This would include setting aside enough money to hire another couple hundred police officers and too keep them on the job for the next three years.

Once some of our debt falls off in 2009, refinance and restructure it so we can continue to improve city services and do so with a lower tax rate.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granmontrules: I dont think Why is bashing the city anymore than I am. I love the city, but come on lets be realistic, like he said the MCS has become a symbol of detroits blight. Nobody is gonna restore it. Hell they've already scrapped everything there is to scrap out of the building. The windows have been out since the 80s and you know the wood inside (by the windows) has to be rotten. There comes a time to let go and I think its time to "let go" of the MCS. Implode that sucker and for my part, implode tiger stadium. That would make room for any hockey arena or anything else since they are in such close proximity. Im certainly not "bashing" detroit and I dont think Why is either. I do think its time to be realistic with those two properties. Get rid of them.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire everybody and start over.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One other thing I would do, would be to make the welfare reciepients pee in a cup to get their checks. We have to pee in a cup (drug test) to make the money to give to them, make them do a drug test to the money. (I know this is a state thing but I'd still try to push it through if I were mayor). Also I would put together a traveling school to go into the neighborhoods and help people get diplomas and education! Its a fact that the poorest are the least educated! I think something like that would be good.

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would hire some strippers and have a big party at the Boogie Mansion. Then I would put all of my friends on the city pay-roll. And then I would go get a new Navigator!

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would blow down the train station.
Take control of the Packard Plant. Work out an agreement with UM, MSU, and WSU to create a stem cell research center on that site.
Next I would focus on youth summer employment. I would try to get 5000 summer jobs for ages 14-17.
I would invest in summer sports programs.

To Be continued.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: