Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Car Insurance for City Residents - WTH? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I just moved to Detroit from Ann Arbor. Today I get a bill from AAA - my monthly car insurance rate has jumped from $146.00 to $514.00. I drive a 2000 Nissan Altima, hardly a fancy car!

So my question is: what do the rest of you city residents pay for car insurance?? I am in a state of shock right now.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9221
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have a clean record check with esurance. AAA, Allstate and State Farm are of no use to people that live in the city from what I have seen.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy shit. I pay less than that ANNUALLY for both my car and motorcycle. I live in Chicago though. But STILL!

That can't be right...$6000+ a year for a 2000 sedan?

Jt1

Post Number: 9223
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allstate would probably charge him 8K per year. You need to really research the options if you are living in the city. Of course we know there is no redlining when one company can quote be 10K and another quotes me 2.5K for a couple of cars for the year.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no way that is right. $514 per MONTH? What are the terms?

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Full coverage. I don't have my policy handy right now because I have yet to unpack it - but yes, that IS what my bill says. Now, I forgot to take into consideration that AAA has you pay over 10 months and you have no insurance payment for the months of November & December. So that changes things a little but not nearly enough. I am obviously NOT going to stay with this company, good God. And I have a clean driving record. Perfect, as a matter of fact.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats nuts. I have AAA which is usually expensive...and i have 2 cars on the policy...
260 a month. Live downtown btw...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no matter who you go with you should tailor your coverage - your car is 6 years old, paid off I'm guessing, you're not accident prone when driving - think about dropping the collision or at least raise your deductible to the highest you can afford

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't live in the D, and never had official residence there.

However, I've had good success with Costco (Ameriprise, check under SERVICES on their website) and Amica. Also good for me were Mercury and AAA, though as you say AAA isn't good for you.

That's me. 10 year old Miata in CA, totally clean driving record top to bottom.

Might want to give some of them a shot. Bottom line, no car insurance company is always the cheapest. If they were, everyone else wouldn't be in business :-)

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try to make your car live somewhere else. There have been numerous threads on Detroit Auto Insurance.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 517
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A 2007 Saturn Vue and a 2003 VW Golf, 425 a month. And I have AAA too. You are getting hosed!

I live in Woodbridge

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R-E-D-L-I-N-I-N-G

We moved from Ann Arbor to Detroit in 2004 and faced the same problem; we had State Farm.

Absolutely ridiculous is what it is.

Prior to moving all of our “friends” that lived in Detroit advise us not report the move and keep the Ann Arbor address.

That’s a sticky wicket and complicated, not to mention illegal to not change your address with the Secretary Of State, it’s a fraud to knowingly advise your insurance carrier of a false address in some attempt to get lower rates.

If you have a lien on the car the lender “talks” to the insurance company and they will pick up on the differing address.

Don’t get me wrong, a man does what he has to and I’m no one to judge anyone, I’m simply passing on information, and one lie leads to another, and in the end, they will find you out.

I went online and tried Progressive as well as Geico and both companies gave the same high rates after I confirmed w/ the software that I did indeed live within the city limits-heavens, they actually live within the city limits of Detroit.

I called several insurance companies listed in the Yellow Pages, they were on Vernor and everyone of them had the same outrageous rates and everyone one of them told me the same thing, “it’s your zip code”- which was 48217

By the way what is your zip?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$500 something a month isn't really that ridiculous considering Detroit is always at the top of the list for vehicle theft...as risk goes up your premium goes up...I doubt Ann Arbor even registers on that list...

This info shows Detoit #2 in vehicle thefts for 2000 and #3 in vehicle theft rate..

http://www.claimcoach.com/pdf/ stolecarnews.pdf

this info doesn't include vandalism either, which is undoubtedly higher in Detroit than most other places

(Message edited by thejesus on May 31, 2007)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 831
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've used AAA recently for newer, more expensive cars than an Altima. Nowhere close to $514 per month. Something is not right. Go into the downtown AAA office and get a quote in person.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

this info doesn't include vandalism either, which is undoubtedly higher in Detroit than most other places

and you say this why? Do you have any newer theft rate numbers that more accurately reflect conditions since the PD made changes to how vehicle thefts are reported?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My car insurance went down $986 a year when I moved out of the city.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec, Try Farmers Insurance they gave us really reasonable rates for both our house and car.
We have an older car, and we did drop collision. But it was still cheaper with collision than 514 a month, that is crazy!

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all of the comments. I do plan to drop collison and go with bare bones insurance now - which I hate to do. I'm calling my insurance agent in just a moment and see what the rate will be. I checked esurance online last night and got a figure of $360.00 a month, which was still much too high for me. Oh, and my zip is 48208.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is Redlining...insurance companies ripping off people simply because they reside within the city limits of Detroit.

"The City of Detroit saw auto thefts decrease by 12.8 percent, from 24,573 in 2004 to 21,439 in 2005."

H.E.A.T.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi- bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY= /www/story/02-02-2007/00045191 60&EDATE=

Note:
When we lived in Detroit we never had any problems w/ our cars. We did not have a garage, we parked right on the street.
I did not see or hear of any problems that any neighbors had w/ their cars.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a tip from a fellow forumer a while back recommending Amica insurance, they have an office in ann arbor but you can set up you policy completely over the phone. While keeping the coverages the same, i am saving like $600/yr over state farm on my 15 year old car

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 825
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just bought AAA insurance from the office in the Dime Building ( which was recommended on this Board). I have 2007 Taurus that I bought slightly used. I have deductables of $750 on full coverage. Cost: $131.000 monthly. I did have to buy a AAA membership, but, as a person who never really had the extras, I'm relieved to have it.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as using a different address outside of the city - I think it's too late for that. ;) It never even occurred to me that my insurance would go up when I changed my billing address with AAA on-line a few weeks ago.

I do have secured parking at my place in Detroit - and it is VERY secure. My apartment in Ann Arbor - it was located right next to 94 on the Ypsi border and there were so many car break ins and thefts in my neighborhood, it was ridiculous. My car is much safer in Detroit now, really.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I do have secured parking at my place in Detroit - and it is VERY secure..My car is much safer in Detroit now, really.

Tkierpiec:

I guess that would be true if you car never leaves the secured parking...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 961
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More logic problems, Thejesus?

Tkierpiec: The car is safer because it is in the secure parking.

Thejesus: The car is not safer unless it never leaves the secure parking.

See how these statements are different? I would suggest a course in elementary logic, Thejesus. I don't know if they have that in elementary school, though, so you may have to wait a bit.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 853
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I guess that would be true if you car never leaves the secured parking..."

Well then the insurance companies should start quoting rates by the city in which you drive and not where you park at night.

WSU Law School is in Detroit, right? Hmm.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha, actually my car does rarely leave the parking lot, seriously! I work from home and I go for days without ever driving it.

I just talked to AAA and reduced the new yearly premium from $4,031.00 to $1672.00 by dropping everything and just having liability (I hope I am using the correct terms). Part of the reason the monthly rate is so high is because I only have 5 months left to pay for this year so the increase was not spread out much, if that makes sense.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 707
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you or a parent have been in the military, I would check into USAA Insurance(www.usaa.com) My insurance is half of the lowest quote I was given by the regular companies.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iheartthed:

that's right!

if a car is physically in an area that has higher vehicle theft rates, then the car is more likely to be stolen than if it were in an area with a low vehicle theft rate, regardless of where the driver lives...

see....you're getting it!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 855
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"if a car is physically in an area that has higher vehicle theft rates, then the car is more likely to be stolen than if it were in an area with a low vehicle theft rate, regardless of where the driver lives... "

Well, I'm all for that! Let's start collecting signatures for this petition...

You wanna start at the Tiger's game?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a big believer in persistence when it comes to teaching young people, so I'll try again.

The car is in the secure parking.
Secure parking reduces the chance of theft.
Therefore, the car is safer than not being in secure parking.
QED

The car is in secure parking.
Secure parking reduced the chance of theft.
The car is not safer unless it never leaves secure parking.
Uhhh....

Thejesus

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd:

The OP's statement was that the car was safer in Detroit than it was in AA BECAUSE of the secured parking...my reply was that, although that may be true, when it leaves the secured parking, it is no longer safer, which is likely the motivation for the insurance company to charge a higher premium

this is the 2nd time in a couple weeks you've been wrong when you tried to point out logical flaws in statements you've read here...I think your problem is that you read things too fast and don't allow that little muscle between your ears to process what's in front of you...I think if you slow down a little, you'll improve your reading comprehension drastically...good luck

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 981
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2007 Jeep Commander and 2000 Miata in the area of E. Grand Blvd. and Mack Avenue; AAA insurance at $245 per month.

You absolutely are getting hosed.

Detroit_girl
Username: Detroit_girl

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pay $ 175 per month on a 2006 Eclipse. Auto Owners Insurance offers discounts if you pay your car insurance in a lump sum for 6- or 12 months in advance. They offer further discounts if you also purchase homeowners insurance with them, which I do, and it is VERY reasonable compared to AAA. I had a jerk from AAA say, "you could buy a more expensive house in the suburbs for what it will cost to insure one in Detroit." He was full of it. Shop around or consider an insurance agency that can negotiate better prices. I live in EEV.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a thread about this same topic about 6 months ago. In it a forumer, which oddly enough I can remember his face but not his handle for the life of me, suggested seeking out a specific AAA agent downtown. This agent is supposed to be able to cut through all of the crap to get good drivers good car insurance deals. Can't find the thread in the search function. Damn it, trying to remember this is going to bother me for the rest of the day.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just cancelled with AAA - switched to Geico. AAA still wanted a ridiculous amount of money even if I dumped most of my coverage and went with PLPD. With Geico now, I have limited for $833/6 months - which is basically what AAA wanted for PLPD. It's an improvement and I'm satisfied.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely remember that thread, E_hemingway - I tried to search for it as well. (I lurked here for a long time before posting!)

By the way - I still have those books for you! :-)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I think my parents pay something like $600/YEAR on their BMW. Full coverage. 2 years old.

Living in North Idaho helps. I think I saw somewhere Idaho has the 2nd lowest car insurance in the US.

Its disgusting. I thought I was getting hosed paying $900/year on a 10 year old Miata in the Bay Area. Now I know it can be a whole lot worse!

And strangely enough (and I'm curious if anyone else has had this), every time I think about buying a new car I get a rate quote (even though I never buy the car :-) ), and most of the time the difference is an increase of less than $100/year for the same coverage I have on my 10 year old car. Seems strange that if I go from a $5000 car to a $25,000 new car that it only costs just that little bit extra.... Maybe its more the cost of injuries and your driving record more than the actual metal that might need to be fixed?

Someone mentioned about $130 for a 2007 car in Detroit. That sounds VERY reasonable to me for full coverage in a big city. I paid about that much for full coverage when I lived in San Francisco on my Miata.....

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Titan is the way to go. I live in Eastpointe, and my old next door neighbor at Michigan and Junction pays less than I do for PLPD (My record plays into the equation)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some insurance companies engage in redlining, others don't. Solution? Shop around and go with one of the ones that doesn't. Basically, car insurance is more expensive in the city because of higher crime/accident rates, but there are some companies that seem to exaggerate the cost difference for whatever reason. (Maybe due to crappy actuaries rather than intentional redlining, who knows...)

Please don't try to get a fake address in the suburbs for your car, it's unethical (you're hurting others by artificially lowering the number of insured vehicles in the city), not to mention illegal.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TheJesus: The way you quoted it, that's the way it read. Luckily there are several writing courses available that teach you how to quote things properly. I think there's hope for you yet.

Good luck, little guy! The mighty oak was once a nut like you!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Basically, car insurance is more expensive in the city because of higher crime/accident rates"

I can buy the higher crime rate, but I don't buy the higher accident rates. All of the dangerous intersection ratings that I've seen were in the suburbs (last I heard it was 12 and Telegraph, before it was 12 and Orchard Lake).

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is criminal to charge more per year than a vehicle is worth. In the end we ALL pay higher premiums to cover people who don't want to or can't pay the $2K/year to insure a car worth $1500

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Basically, car insurance is more expensive in the city because of higher crime/accident rates"

I can buy the higher crime rate, but I don't buy the higher accident rates.

Yeah, I don't have much proof on what the accident rates are. My hunch is that they are somewhat higher, just based on my own observations with joyriders crashing a car and then walking away from it, that sort of thing. (which again goes back to crime) It may be that accident rates are only slightly higher, if they are higher.

Is there any public data available on car accident rates in different cities/zip codes?

One other thing that raises rates in the city is insurance fraud (which is also a form of crime), but hopefully that situation is improving with the new requirements on reporting accidents in person at precinct stations.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the plethora of uninsured drivers all over this city. That has a lot to do with why the rates are inflated, also.

Jt1

Post Number: 9240
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't forget the plethora of uninsured drivers all over this city. That has a lot to do with why the rates are inflated, also.

Why should zip code/city boundaries of those that drive without insurance change the rates of those of us that have insurance. Making this a zip code driven factor is ridiculous in my opinion. If your neighbor is a sexual predator should you be penalized (outside of being the neighbor of a sexual predator)

Woodward
Username: Woodward

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is there any public data available on car accident rates in different cities/zip codes?

Maybe not that specific, but this might be helpful/interesting...

SEMCOG: High Crash Locations by Community, 2001-2005

http://webdev2.semcog.org/cgi- bin/data/geo-high-crash.html

(Message edited by woodward on May 31, 2007)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why should zip code/city boundaries of those that drive without insurance change the rates of those of us that have insurance. Making this a zip code driven factor is ridiculous in my opinion. If your neighbor is a sexual predator should you be penalized (outside of being the neighbor of a sexual predator)

Let's do some simple logic. Why do people drive around uninsured? Most of the time it's because they can't get insurance at decent rates. And why can't they get insurance at a decent rate? Because they have been in too many accidents. If you live in an area that has many accidents, the insurance company will raise your rates because the odds of you being in an accident caused by a crappy driver (who is uninsured) is greater.

I may be way off on this. I am not in the insurance biz, but it seems to make sense to me.

Insurance companies are like any other business. They are in it to make money, and make sure they make money.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 862
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And why can't they get insurance at a decent rate? Because they have been in too many accidents."

Not exactly. I was once looking at car insurance in Detroit and couldn't afford it. The yearly premium was almost as much as I was going to pay for the car. I don't have any accidents or speeding tickets on my record.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm paying about $750 for 6-months on a 2003 sports coupe (garaged at zip code 48226) through AAA.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insurance as constituted in michigan is essentially a tax our government forces us to pay to big insurance companies. I have a perfect driving record, not even a ticket the last 20 years, but I am considered higher risk because I am single, male and have no children. I pay more for essentially the same coverage on my car than a married friend with 6 points. we live in the same zip code, have cars in the same size/age class, mine has full air bags and anti-theft, his only driver/passenger airbags, no anti-theft devices. It is an inherently irrational system with virtually no government oversight. New Jersey got tough with the insurance industry, and the rates there dropped dramatically. unfortunately, every elected official from either party is in the pocket of Big Insurance.

the new law should be:

Rate based solely on total replacement cost, cost of repairs after a 15 mph collision, driver record. that is it. everything else is so nebulous that it is meaningless - just an excuse to jack your rates.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many drivers in Detroit are uninsured because they can't afford the ridiculous premiums, not because they're crappy drivers. The ones who DO pay their bills pay more to make up for the others, regardless of their records. It's a vicious cycle.
btw, if you lie about your address, you're screwed if anything happens to you. The insurance company will find out your real address, deny your claim, and either drop you or jack up your rates to punitive levels.

EEV resident, have AAA, which is not cheap but much better than Allstate or State Farm. Good luck.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom made a good point as well.

Insurance is something that is mandatory in Michigan. It is a law, right? Just like taxes.

Anything that is mandated by the State, should be handled by the State. So if the State says we have to have car insurance, then we should get car insurance through the State of Michigan.

Is there anything else that the State makes us pay for? I can't think of anything but taxes and insurance.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 969
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonding, licensing, etc.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I stated in another thread, I saved over $1500 for the year by switching from Amica to Progressive. Amica charged me $3670 for my 1 year policy when I moved into the city, Progressive gave me the same policy for $1074 (6 month policy). I have a 2001 car. Just shop around and you'll find a better deal Tkierpiec.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why should zip code/city boundaries of those that drive without insurance change the rates of those of us that have insurance. Making this a zip code driven factor is ridiculous in my opinion. If your neighbor is a sexual predator should you be penalized (outside of being the neighbor of a sexual predator)"

because you're more likely to be hit by an uninsured driver and thus be unable to collect the $500 from their insurance company (because they don't have one) as allowed under Michigan law

makes sense really...

and whoever said earlier that charging high premiums for car insurance is criminal doesn't quite grasp the concept that insurance company only exist to make money, just like every other business, and that their premiums are the result of their risk assessment, which is held in check by competition from other ins. companies...they aren't welfare programs that exist to shell out dollars to fix your car if it gets damaged...sheesh

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 511
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec, please read my post on April 15 on this thread. I highly recommend that you see Ms. Miller at their office in the Dime Building.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/99746.html?1177035 815

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 416
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i pay about $400 every 6 months on my 2002? neon. i bought a kill switch and a club and stripped it down to nothing. not even an attemped robbery yet. i think everyone should do it. - andy

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 707
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Why should zip code/city boundaries of those that drive without insurance change the rates of those of us that have insurance. Making this a zip code driven factor is ridiculous in my opinion. If your neighbor is a sexual predator should you be penalized (outside of being the neighbor of a sexual predator)"

because you're more likely to be hit by an uninsured driver and thus be unable to collect the $500 from their insurance company (because they don't have one) as allowed under Michigan law

By this logic: how about a driver who lives in say zip code 48393 (Novi, Walled Lake, I believe) and has decent insurance rates because of his zip but works in Detroit and maybe also goes out there several times a week. He's exposed to the same danger of getting hit by uninsured drivers, getting his car stolen or vandalized as a citizen of Detroit. So shouldn't the entire metro Detroit area be redlined by car insurance companies because of the mere possibility that they might spend time in the so-called high risk area, Detroit? Shouldn't they in addition of the zip code rule also implement a "where does your car spend time" rule? Seems only fair to me.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an auto insurance rate problem in Michigan, and it appears to be more serious in Detroit. When we moved from Novi (zip 48374) to NM, our auto insurance went down more than 50% and has declined since then. We pay about $1,300 a year for full coverage with medium deductibles and high liability coverage on a '98 and an '05 Infiniti (The Hartford thru AARP, and we had AAA in Michigan).

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'm lucking out with mine: paying $350-$400 for 6 months insurance on a 98 Altima, PLPD, secured garage, 48226. I probably drive that thing a whole two days a week. Not sure why you'd keep a 2nd gen Alty on full coverage unless you've pimped it out.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ghetto_butterfly:

I don't know about "fair", because I don't think the ins companies are taking sides...they're after the almighty dollar just like everyone else...but I'm sure the ins companies would love to do something like that...I think the problem is that there's no way to determine on an individual basis where someone's car is going to spend most of its time, so they just follow the "home address" rule, which probably turns out to be pretty accurate across the board

(Message edited by thejesus on June 01, 2007)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 641
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a 96 F-150 and a '04 Explorer. AAA insurance only 166$ a month zip code 49720

Kfowler
Username: Kfowler

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec,
When I first moved to Detroit I was paying more a month in car insurance than I was in rent. A few thoughts:
1) If you drive less than 7,000 miles a year you can declare you vehicle as "season" which will reduce your rates. Make sure your policy is tailored to your needs.
2) You may qualify for discounts through a credit union or with direct withdrawal of payments.
3) Stay competitive - I have changed policies often and pitted companies against each other for better rates.
Regardless, very high car insurance in one negative aspect of living in Detroit.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec, my advice to you:
1. You only need car insurance to buy your plate. So buy some cheep LA insurance for that, I think they sell it by the minute. 2. Drive freely through Detroit, as you will only need it (insurance) if you are pulled over or are in a wreck.
3. If you are being pulled over, run for it. The cops WILL NOT CHASE for some thing as stupid as driving too fast or on the sidewalk.
4. If you get in a wreck, see above. If you are unable to do as above, don’t worry, that’s what the State Uninsured Motorist Fund is for.
5. Repeat step 1 as needed.
This is what most Detroiters do. No license, no insurance, and no valid plate.
Happy motoring! :-)

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I've mentioned this before in other threads, but I believe traffic calming would be a great thing for the city. And, I believe it would cause auto insurance rates to drop. It is my understanding that two things cause the higher rates in the city: the number of accidents and the number of uninsured drivers. The theft rate is much less important than these two.

Here's is some data from trafficcalming.org that shows the decrease in accidents from one type of traffic calming: traffic circles at intersections. They have similar data for other designs:

-Average of 11% decrease in the 85th percentile travel speeds, or from an average of 34.1 to 30.2 miles per hour (from a sample of 45 sites)
-Including a large sample from Seattle, an average of 73% decrease in accidents, or from an average of 2.2 to 0.6 accidents per year (from a sample of 130 sites)
-Excluding the large sample from Seattle, an average of 29% decrease in accidents, or from an average of 5.9 to 4.2 accidents per year (from a sample of 17 sites)

Improve traffic conditions, lower speeds, reduce accidents and claims, and rates will fall.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 861
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkguy,

The city has completed a number of these "traffic calming" projects over the last couple years.

Examples of this are the new medians on Livernois and Gratiot, the restoration of divided traffic and curbside parking on Washington Blvd, and the new traffic circle around Campus Martius Park.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikd--
Those are good examples-- I had forgotten about them. I'd like to see it on every street! I think I remember seeing some data about accidents on Livernois that prompted the new median, but I don't remember the details.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 827
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, last night someone tried to take the tires from the new Taurus that I just insured on Friday, May 25 with AAA (Dime Building office). I woke up to some funny squeaking sounds in front of my house at 2:15 AM, and, after a moment of consideration, walked to the window and looked out. When I saw what was happening I went to my closet and activated a roof alarm that has an emergency button there. Thief took off leaving his two jacks and my lug nuts. Today I'll get some locking lug nuts.

I won't make a police report because I was told by detectives in the SW District that insurance companies have access now to computerized police reports and any vehicle crime report linked with my name can be accessed and utilized by my insurer even if I don't make a claim.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is going to piss off you Detroiters...

Report: Mich. auto insurers pile up profits, surpluses
http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070608/A UTO01/706080398/1003/METRO

though I must say, I find the term "excess profits" to be a bit offensive

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told to check out AAA (313)-237-5500. I no longer have a car but they supposively worked with my friend. Good luck!

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Allstate the drivers in the City of Detroit are the 25th best drivers in the nation. I demand a rate reduction!

3rd Annual "Allstate America's Best Drivers Report™"Signals Where the Safest Drivers Cruise06/14/2007 NORTHBROOK, Ill. -

http://media.allstate.com/cate gories/7-news-releases/release s/4294-3rd-annual-allstate-ame rica

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: