Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Ferndale High in the l960s? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody out there go to Ferndale High School in the l960s? Right up the block from W. 8 Mile.
It seemed to be one of the few integrated suburban high schools of the time.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5953
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Technically Ferndale High was mostly white and fewer blacks in the 1960s until 2005 When the data from Schooldigger.com shows that the percentage of whites students is 46% and blacks 46%, 1% hispanic and 6% other.

Danny

Post Number: 5954
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any black folks who went to Ferndale High School in the 1960s must have lived at the southern portion of R.O.TWP, during that era. Housing restrictions were inforced until the 1970s to keep black folks from Detroit or any place from buying any suburban homes. The 5.ft concrete demarcation wall along on the Detroit side of 8 Mile Rd. along with some industrial plants works as a demarcation border to keep blacks from peeping into the dominate white suburbs of Oakland County.

By 1970, Ferndale Public Schools was the first school district to have their schools to accept students from Detroit. It was the first ever " School of Choice Program" in the State of Michigan(Possibly).

Swiburn

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. I remember a few years ago that the voters didn't want any "School of Choice" in the district as they were afraid of getting too many "Detroiters," i.e. black students. So, it was all or nothing- they couldn't have any students from any district at all. Maybe that's changed again.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2249
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferndale High has always had a fair number of blacks - from Royal Oak Township, the southeast end of Ferndale, and a little from a small section of Oak Park.

One of my English teachers did her Masters thesis on the school because, at the time she wrote it (early '70s), the school almost exactly reflected the racial and ethnic make up of the country.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 961
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to FHS in the early 1990s and had a friend who lived in Palmer Park, but he used his aunt's address in Ferndale to go to FHS. Detroit residents weren't allowed then, Black students came mostly from Royal Oak Township and Oak Park then. Danny where do you get your info?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Bulletmagnet? he's from those parts as I recall...

Danny

Post Number: 5965
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swiburn,

It was the decision of the Ferndale Public School Board to make their schools available for Detroit residents. It's their way to fill up enrollments and get more tax money from the new upcoming state lottery system. Ferndale residents didn't vote on the matter because of race problems. But its was too late and the FPSB have the ok for this "School of Choice" experiment.

Danny

Post Number: 5966
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog,

Channel 4 News have the article in their private archives. They released it one time to honor Detroit's 300th birthday.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...the new upcoming state lottery system."

What is this system?

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 837
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what the Black population of Ferndale High was, but Township students entered the High School grounds through a gate in the fence on the far back right corner of the property, by the football field parking lot. I would assume they all went to Grant Elementary, but I don't remember any at Lincoln Junior High.

Ah, the Ferndale Eagles. Roy Burkhart's basketball team won state championships my freshman year ('63) and senior year ('66). Couldn't beat RO Kimball in football to save our souls.

Trivia time: What was the name of the drive-in on 9-Mile just below Pinecrest? Peppy's? Happy Clown? Somthing like that.....

(Message edited by douglasm on June 01, 2007)

(Message edited by douglasm on June 01, 2007)

Lilpup

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peppy's

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Birmingham High(now Seaholm High) played Ferndale High in the mid-50's, I believe Ferndale was then called Lincoln High School.. Seems to me the school was located on the West side of Woodward

Douglasm

Post Number: 838
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rock is correct. I don't remember fer sure---I was at Roosevelt Elementary at the time--but I think Ferndale High opened in '58 and Lincoln, on the corner of 9-Mile and Livernois, was converted into the Junior High. Birmingham High would have played against "The Lincoln Railsplitters". I think (though I may be wrong) football and baseball games were played at Taft, but it could have been at Garfield.

Rock, was that in the Eastern Michigan League? I don't remember all the teams (Seaholm, Kimball, and Hazel Park come to mind) but for some reason, Port Huron and East Detroit were in the league.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 858
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peppy's it was, equivalent in taste, texture, quality (haha) and price to Nelson's, which was located on 9 mile/Coolidge in Oak Park. Lincoln was located at 9/Livernois next to Ardmore Hospital.

Douglasm

Post Number: 839
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close. Coming west from Planavon, it was Food Fair, the FF parking lot, a funeral home, Lincoln's tennis courts, the school, Livernois, Lincoln's parking lot, Ardmore Hospital. Lincoln was torn down after the building literally cracked in half.....

Swiburn

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's interesting, I didn't know that Lincoln literally cracked in half. Yes, the Food Fair, Spaulding funeral home, etc.
Lincoln started around l922; before that high school students went to Royal Oak or Highland Park. Roosevelt School, my old alma mater, had eighth graders until the fall of l958, when the high school opened. I'm sure the other elem. schools ran K-8 also

The_rock

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You nailed it, douglasm. EML league had Birmingham Maples, Lincoln Rail Splitters, Hazel Park Vikings, Port Huron (Big Red), East Detroit Shamrocks and Mt. Clemens Bathers.
I don't think Kimball (Back then it was Royal Oak High) was in our conference. They might have been Border City Conference. But B'ham played Royal Oak in football Thanksgiving day at noon for several years. It was a rivalry in high school like U of M/Ohio State. Lasted several years. It was finally discontinued ( 1958/9?)when both Birmingham and Royal Oak opened second high schools--Birmingham became Seaholm and Groves opened south of town, and I think Royal Oak became KImball and opened Dondero High.
Hope my memory is good!! We are talking a good 50 years ago!!

Douglasm

Post Number: 840
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimball was the "new" school, and I believe it was recently closed as there's just Royal Oak High School. In my last year or two, the league changed and eliminated Port Huron and East Detroit, becoming the South Eastern Michigan Conference, but in '66 we had a couple MASSIVE basketball battles with East Detroit, one (I think) in the state semi's at Jennison Fieldhouse.

Swilburn.....
.....thanks, I couldn't remember the exact date. I was a little irked when they made the change, because I was one of the "big" kids who got to rotate classes after the 4th grade. When the Lincoln Junior High opened, that system stopped and it was back to the "traditional" single teacher home room.

The_rock

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You nailed it again, douglasm. KImball was the new school, and old RO High became Dondero. And I understand that RO is now down to one high school because of declining enrollment
In my day, Ron Kramer was the big man at East Detroit High and he went on to Michigan to play football and captain the basketball team, then on to play for the GB Packers.
Birmingham's best athlete by far was Tom (The Bomb) Tracy, who excelled at all sports, went on to play for Tennessee and then the Detroit Lions.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My niece and nephew attended Ferndale High in the 60s. For many years the Eagles opened the football season with a non-league game against R.O. Dondero and ended the season against Kimball. After the new F.H.S. opened, Lincoln became a junior high school. My son was in the last class to graduate from Lincoln J.H.S. in 1976.

Douglasm

Post Number: 842
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandpamike....
.....and I'm told the building was falling apart by then. If my memory is correct, there were cracks in the foundation that led to the failing of the building itself. It was either separating from the gym/swimming pool or the "new" wing on the north where the band rooms were.....

Kayakor
Username: Kayakor

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to say thanks, especially to Douglasm and Swiburn. It's very cool to hear the history of that stretch of 9 mile between Planavon and Pinecrest. I moved to MI about 5 years ago and bought a house on West Drayton in Ferndale and really have become interested in Ferndale's rich history. I've seen photos of the old high school at the Ferndale Historical Museum (which is great place to visit). Seems like downtown Ferndale has been a vibrant, happening place for most of its history...especially now.
Was Peppy's where the cleaners is now at 9 and Pinecrest? Wish some of these cool places were still around! thanks again....

Jimg

Post Number: 862
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm....if memory serves, the car wash now occupies that space.
Ferndale's downtown was usually filled with shops and shoppers, Federal Dept Store, Radio City, etc.

Danny

Post Number: 5970
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul,

It's called the Michigan Daily Lottery you know Daily 3 and Daily 4 It was established ni 1971 and 100% of the money goes to public schools.

Kayakor

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jimg. Just like back in 40's & 50's Ferndale's downtown will be packed with people this afternoon..possibly 20,000+ for Motor City Pride festivities..should be a great time. Last year's attendance was just under 20K. Typically good food & entertainment.

Douglasm

Post Number: 843
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cleaners was there as far back as I can remember, on the SW corner. On the NW corner was a Sinclar station, a Mobil on the NE, and a Texaco on the SE corner. I assume they're all gone now, as would be the Dairy Queen across the street from Peppy's.

Yes, downtown Ferndale has nearly always been a vibrant place, with all the stores and services one would expect in a downtown before second cars became common. Kresge, Neisners, Wolworth, at one time 3 grocery stores (Kroger, Food Fair/Farmer Jacks, and A&P), 2 shoe stores, a deli, men's store, Fanny Farmer, RB Shop, a couple jewelry stores, and etc. There's a good picture of downtown taken at 9 and Allen on the Detroit News' webpage concerning the story of Woodward Avenue.

The one thing I didn't like about going to FHS is there wasn't a soda fountain nearby. Across 9 Mile from Lincoln was one where the kids hung out after school.

Kayakor, do you live on the first block (between Woodward and Livernois) or the second block (between Livernois and Pinecrest) of Drayton? My aunt and uncle used to live at (i think) 445 W. Drayton on the second block, across from Kathy Forsyth's house, the cutest cheerleader you ever saw.....

Kayakor

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm - wow...small world. I'm on Drayton just west of Livernois...and based on your description, I must live right next door to the Forsyth's house (they don't live there anymore).

The good news is..Diary Queen is still there! (and typically very busy). The Sinclar station is gone, now a Payless shoe store. The Mobil station is gone, now a 7 eleven and Texaco is a Taco Bell now.

Douglasm, sounds like you live elsewhere now...hope you get to get back occasionally to enjoy fabulous Ferndale...lots of cool restaurants and interesting shops downtown now.

Douglasm

Post Number: 844
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a personal note, I want to thank Swiburn for starting this thread. As I sit at my computer 2264.29 miles (according to Mapquest) from where I grew up (531 W. Maplehurst) this thread has revived cherished memories. On a shelf to my left is a picture of the house I grew up in with my Grandmother Miller standing in the drive, a home my parents moved into when I was 3 months old, a house I moved out of 25 years later, and my parents another 10 years after that. I adore where I'm living now, at the foot of the Cascade Mountains, but gee, I had a great childhood in a great town......

Douglasm

Post Number: 845
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I forgot the original question.

Going east from Pinecrest, the Mobil (7-eleven), an alley, a import car repair shop, Peppy's, a vacent lot, a barber shop, another vacant lot, AD Camera (before they moved to 9 Mile and Allen), a couple more vacent lots Ardmore Hospital, Lincoln's parking lot, Livernois.

Don't remember much about the other side (from Pinecrest) except for the Dairy Queen, Brad's Rock Shop, a hobby shop, a hardware (on the corner of Kenton), and a little further down, a barber shop, and a corner grocery at 9 and Livernois.

I wonder if a Como's pizza tastes as good now as it did after a football game.......

(Message edited by douglasm on June 03, 2007)

Kayakor

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Como's still has some of the best pizza around. Next to their location, Como's now has a big outdoor patio on the corner of 9 and Woodward (not sure if the patio's always been there). On a sunny, warm day - it's the place to see and be seen - always busy.

Danny

Post Number: 5972
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm,

You quote that I don't know what the Black population of Ferndale High was...

Have you not read what I wrote? The black student population of Ferndale High School is 46% the white population of Ferndale High is 46% according the factual data is Schooldigger.com. If you have been inside Ferndale High, then will see lots of black and white students there.

Douglasm

Post Number: 846
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here I go, again.....

No it hasn't. From Woodward north to Vester: Surplus Outlet sporting goods (aka Sports Outlet), Yellow Taxi, Como's, Schmidt's Hardware, a pharmacy, Detroit Bank & Trust, Elks Club. Too many drug stores. Within 2 blocks you had Professional Arts, Cunningham's, Ferndale Pharmacy and the one I just mentioned (Price's Pharmacy? I went to school with his son....).

My turn:

What's in what used to be the Ferndale Pharmacy in the Ferndale Center Building on 9 and Woodward (SE corner), the Rialto Cafe, and Model's Hobbies? Bob Dieter ran the best hobby store in the area there.....

Douglasm

Post Number: 847
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny....
.....Swiburn asked about the Black student body of FHS in the '60's, which I didn't know. Your post noted the percentage for 2005, 40 years later. And what I said was I didn't know the number of Black students. Not that you didn't know. If I were to hazzard a guess for 1965, I'd say 10% out of a student body of about 3,500, but that's just a guess. Do YOU know?

Kayakor

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, check out this video about downtown Ferndale...it shows Como's patio (among many other things)

http://www.downtownferndale.co m/GUIDE/index.asp

Ferndale Center Building has a Flagstar Bank as the main tenant on the ground floor...there's a small computer store on the 9 mile street side. Can't remember exactly what else is in that building...I think the other ground floor tenant may be the Ringwald theater, which just opened recently.
http://www.whowantscaketheatre .com/modules/theatre/

I'll drive by tomorrow and check it out.

The Rialto Cafe's gone...it's now Dino's
www.dinoslounge.com
kind of an upscale bar/ restaurant. They preserved the Rialto's big sign on the building because it was unique.
Unfortunately, no hobbie stores left around here at all.
I really appreciate the info that you shared about Ferndale...very cool.

(Message edited by kayakor on June 04, 2007)

Douglasm

Post Number: 848
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, thanks for the offer Kayakor, but I'll just live with my memories. I took the "Cybertour" and didn't recognise a thing. No Tip-Top Cafe, no Basement Barber Shop or Flair Furniture, no Lebanon Bologna at the deli next to the Shell station (probably no Shell station, either....)

Lilpup

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Model's Hobbies had moved out Woodward to northern Royal Oak - don't know if it's still there or not

Rialto was still there until not too long ago, but, if I remember correctly, they had a couple of incidents that left their marks - a shooting in the cafe and later a car going through the front window

Jimg

Post Number: 863
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rialto shooting happened around 1985, I think. Model Hobbies has been John King books north for a while.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was/is a hobby shop on the east side of Woodward in either Royal Oak or Berkeley that I had the impression was owned by the same guy as Model's, or maybe had bought out Model's (when Model's left what is now King's). I remember they had the same coin display case as Model's, but overall the shop was quite a bit smaller.

Swiburn

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a few more stores in Ferndale. I'm going there in a few weeks, too.
North side of 9 Mile (before Radio City Theatre): There was a Federal's, Kresge's, F& M, Woolworth's, Sander's, Winkleman's, R & B Women's Clothes.
South side: Hagelstein's (by Cunningham's) another dime store, the A & P, a flower shop, Betty Murray Hair Shop, Croton's Supper Club.
Peppy's is a car wash now, I think. Across the street was a printing firm. There was also a cheap gas station on NW corner of Pinecrest and 9 Mile and also a SInclair station, and the Day dry cleaners, which finally closed a few years ago, I believe.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two or three people were killed in that shooting when some guy went berserk inside the Rialto. The place was closed for a few months so that they could clean up the mess. I believe that one elderly gentleman was killed when someone drove that car through the front window; that was only a few months after the shooting.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me, the coolest store in Ferndale used to be Jim Ashmore Truck & Trailer Rental on Woodward several blocks north of Nine Mile. The front office walls were packed, cheek-to-jowl, you might say, with stuffed and mounted wild animal heads.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cousins went to Ferndale High in the 70's. They said there was always an uneasiness between the races. I seem to recall hearing about some major brawl back then.

Also, didn't The Spinners attend Ferndale High?

Lilpup

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supposedly they did.

The year before my sister started high school there were a few good brawls. Our neighbor across the street was a freshman and I remember her mom having to pick her up from school when it was closed down one day due to fighting.

There were some fights the next year, too, but not bad enough to close the school during the day.

Douglasm

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "other" dime store was Neisner's Jr. Department Store, and they might be worth a thread of their own. Anyone know where they were based? New York somewhere?

Jim Ashmore, Inc. still exsists in Madison Heights.

BTW, how many car dealerships still exist in Ferndale? I assume Belcastro (Higgins) Pontiac is gone. Is Hodges?

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

off the top of my head

Ed Schmid Ford.
Hodges is still there
the mazda and honda dealers

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from FHS in '83. I asked a teacher one time why the commons had plexiglass in the windows - she said it was because during the race riots, kids were throwing the furniture, and each other, out the windows. And they were told by the principal at the time that if any parent called they were to be told that everything was just fine - I don't care if someone is being stabbed in front of you. He apparently didn't want a rush of parents on the school if there was trouble.

I lived for a couple of years in Livonia with my Dad, then moved back to Ferndale to be with my Mom in my freshman year. I went from lilly white Livonia to having --gasp-- BLACK KIDS in class with me!!! It was totally a learning experience for me - but I made some great friends, and some how survived. ;)

~Liza

Scalev
Username: Scalev

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm,
531 W Maplehurst is on the market for $235K. Below is the link from realtor.com with some pictures.

http://homes.realtor.com/searc h/listingdetail.aspx?zp=48220& ml=3&mnp=22&typ=1&sid=8b2ac95c fad7464fb7a4ffb518df7764&sdir= 0&sby=2&pg=3&lid=1079581258&ls n=27&srcnt=79#Detail

Douglasm

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fasinating. Thank you, Scalev. And to think my parents purchased it for $19k in 1949. It hasn't really changed much although the kitchen has been reworked, and someone put a slider to the back yard off the breakfast nook. Oh, the tree in the front yard is not the Ginko my mother planted.

Thank you, again, for posting that....

The_rock

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

douglasm----were you around when Ferndale shoppers could park their cars in a cemented area separating the North and South Bound Woodward lanes of travel? Seems to me that parking area ran for several blocks, was always a tad congested and there were a few fender benders as folks were always trying to get out of the lots and get back on either north or southbound Woodward.
How about (Whitbeck's Appliance Store, on the southbound Woodward side. I recall it and Higgin's Pontiac ( where a lot of the Tigers purchased their cars). And of course, the auto repair shop, also on the southbound Woodward side which had the car up on the second deck with its front tires spinning. Great advertising! I dont recall the name of the place.
Lastly, for a neighborhood theatre, I think the old Radio City theater was special. We came down from B'ham more than once for a show.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock
The repair facility on southbound Woodward is called Wetmores - still there. The center parking ranged from Saratoga, two blocks south of Nine Mile Road, to Breckenridge, two blocks north of NIne Mile Road. Still can't figure out why it was abandoned and redone.

Radio City Theatre on Saturday - 25 cents admission, 10 cents for popcorn and pop. All that for a double feature plus cartoons and previews.

George Higgins owned Higgin's Pontiac which was across the street from Hodges Dodges, home of the famous Ramchargers drag racing team.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The median parking was actually on state property and I believe it was done away with because the city and state couldn't come to terms on it anymore.

Douglasm

Post Number: 864
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom and dad purchased every appliance in the house from Witbecks.

I don't remember how far south of 9 Mile the parking went, but it went north 2 blocks, I believe. I don't know about the median being state property, but that's where the trolleys ran. At one time I remember you could see the tracks sticking out of the pavement at intersections.

Higgins was on Woodward between Maplehurst and Lewiston, and the ajacent office building was called The Higgins Building. The Ferndale Gazette-Telegraph had its office up there. A fellow named Belcastro purchased the dealership in the mid '60's. I went to Northwood with his son. As to car dealers, I saw my first Chrysler turbine car at Hodges. A '56 or '57 Dodge body.

Wetmores shows up in the old auto dealers thread. Apparently it was a Packard dealer, which may account for the car in the tower ("Does Your Car Do This?") being a Packard. Leftover inventory....

Lilpup

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I graduated from FHS in '83. I asked a teacher one time why the commons had plexiglass in the windows - she said it was because during the race riots, kids were throwing the furniture, and each other, out the windows. And they were told by the principal at the time that if any parent called they were to be told that everything was just fine - I don't care if someone is being stabbed in front of you. He apparently didn't want a rush of parents on the school if there was trouble.

not true - the plexiglass was a safety precaution due to the size of the windows, the second story location, and the nature of the frames they were in - I remember one extremely windy day when a smaller first floor window in the same type of framing was blown in. Fortunately no one was injured. I also remember sitting in the cafeteria (directly below the Commons) during a hailstorm that broke one or two of the cafeteria windows. Had the Commons had more glass people definitely would have been injured.

As far as not telling parents - that's hogwash - both my neighbor and my sister attended during the worst period of racial tension, when there were fights, and when things got bad they were sent home from school early.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: