Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Detroit Funeral for the "N" Word » Detroit Funeral for the "N" Word - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 7101
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit NAACP to Hold Symbolic Funeral for 'N' Word

Monday , April 30, 2007 FoxNews.com

DETROIT —

The NAACP held a symbolic funeral in Detroit 63 years ago for Jim Crow.

The civil rights organization will do the same this summer for the "N" word, the Rev. Wendell Anthony said Sunday.

The announcement by Anthony, president of the civil rights organization's Detroit branch, came shortly before the start of the annual Fight for Freedom Fund Dinner. He said members and supporters of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People will conduct services and a "eulogy" for the racial slur.

Jim Crow was the systematic, mostly Southern practice of discrimination against and segregation of blacks from the end of post-Civil War reconstruction into the mid-20th century.

This year's mock funeral will be held during the NAACP national convention July 7-12 in Detroit. It comes in the wake of the controversy over comments made by talk show host Don Imus.

Imus made derogatory remarks about black members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team. He was fired in early April by CBS Radio and NBC, but not until major companies like General Motors pulled their advertising spots.

Imus didn't use the "N" word in those comments, but the NAACP wants to stop the use of that racial slur by everyone, including blacks, Anthony said.

"We are committed to ending hate — word and talk," he said. "It doesn't do anyone any good, whether it's a journalist on TV or a rapper on the radio.

"Now that corporate America has caught up, maybe something will happen. We have to stop investing in stuff that is killing us."

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point well made. Me being Afro-American, 1 of my BIGGEST weaknesses is using the "N" word!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 713
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unless you get some people who ACTUALLY use it to show up, this menas nothing. All the activists in the world can protest, but it won't make a small ding in the use unless they truly reach the youth and the markets that push it.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 676
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Afro-American? LOL, wow.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in 69' Jim Crow laws were actually gone. For the time, The "N Word" is going nowhere...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8948
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All the activists in the world can protest, but it won't make a small ding in the use unless they truly reach the youth and the markets that push it.

Even if that is true it doesn't change the fact that the discussions by leaders is a good start.

Waxx

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Afro-or should I say-'African-American (lol). But it harmony with what Genesyxx said, this is basically a LOSING battle the activists are fighting and the only way to get your point across is to 'reach the youth'. For most of us, it's a-dare I say it-an ingrained habit and very few of us are willing to break it. Sadly, I'm in the former category (lol).

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about *American* period. I am really tired of the whole *African American* thing. If you were born here, you are an American,

Waxx

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point well made, Miss_cleo.

Wally2times
Username: Wally2times

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes Ms Cleo, point well made. As far as killing of the (ok Ill play the don't say it game") "N" word I am a little torn.

Are we talking about killing it in its entirety? or will we still allow morons on rap music and the streets to use it? Or, is this just for anyone non black?

Not that I don''t agree with killing it off but remember, you are also starting the killing off of the 1st amendment.

Also, while I do agree that some things should not be said, why is it again that we had Imus fired and we allow morons like Spike lee, black radio station hosts, and rappers still use this bull*hit language and they get a free pass?

I am a little confused regarding the double standard. Can someone enlighten me please.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 437
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the NAACP wants to stop the use of that racial slur by everyone, including blacks, Anthony said. "

I believe this line adressed that concern, Wally.

Wally2times

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that would be a blessing. In order to achieve that bliss, we need to lose a little freedom of speech. Im willing to give up that word and a few choice others that people tend to use in the interest of racially equality and harmony.
I do believe its a bit out of reach though.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 842
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freedom of Speech is not damaged or impaired by a deliberate, determined effort to willfully choose against using a word. In fact, it would be a glorious actualization of the whole Freedom of Speech concept, if we all agreed to finally deep-six that word. How in the hell can a couple of you start yammering about Freedom of Speech and the First Amendment?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the 1st Amendment protect your freedom to express your opinion or your freedom to say a certain word in public?

Hmm.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5288
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stokley Carmichael told us in civil rights in the 1960s to stop saying Negro.

He said "Negro" was just Northern for Kentucky's "Nigra" evolving from Mississippi's "Nigger."

Now just last night on tv a rapper told us they talk about "Naggar", not the same word.

So jjaba has been calling people "Blacks" since Stokley Carmichael told us that was the correct word. Then Stokely changed his name to an African name and moved back there.

jjaba also was told that "Colored" wasn't Kosher, but to use "Negro". "Colored" evidently was really bad and referred to South African Apartheid.

"African-American" just keeps people apart. When does jjaba become American? How many generations will it take since arrival at Ellis Island?

Miss Cleo tells it like it tis. Thanks.
Other than American, or North American, or US Citizen, the rest is a total crock of schitt!

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor (that's his racial profile, thank you. He'll look for it on the census form.)

Wally2times

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, while I agree that some words are hurtful, when it comes to freedom of speech and when it comes to "Banning Words" then that is an infringement on your rights, hurtful or not.
Now that the discussion is started (and well overdue) we all must choose sides. Do we ban words? Or do we cherish freedom of speech?

Well, I certainly cherish my freedom of speech but I am willing to take a tiny part away for the sake of peace.

Lets just hope if this is successful that the law does get implimented "NO MATTER WHO OR WHAT COLOR THE PERP IS"

Ravine

Post Number: 844
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody said, "Let's make it a misdemeanor to use that word." The idea is to CHOOSE to stop using it. If you INSIST on continuing to use it, don't worry, you would, in fact, still enjoy the right to use it.

Wally2times

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then I think the whole discussion, the whole honory funeral thing, the whole racial equality thing is just being thrown out of the door because as far as these racially motivated words go, the main perps who use these everyday will continue to get a slap on the wrist from the media and the law , laughing at everyone and the unfunny morons like Imus will continue getting delt the bullshit hand all in the name of PC and double standards because they are not according to the world allowed to let these words flow like these other morons .

Now do u think thats right?

Either get with the program and "make" everyone stop using them or do not cry foul when people do or, if you do cry foul then cry foul when all use it not just those considered not politically correct.

Waiting for people to stop using them will not work.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the oddest experiences I had while teaching in NYC was running into one of my students and his friends on the subway and being introduced as his "n word." I'm so white i disappear in the snow

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wally, what exactly is your point? If the word is not somehow made "illegal", there's no reason to discuss it, or try to curtail its use? You can't make a word "illegal". And I really wouldn't want to live in a country where you could. You can fine broadcasters for using certain words over public airwaves, sure, but you can't just say "this word is now illegal in America. Anyone caught using it will receive a fine and up to 5 years in prison." That's just stupid.

Not all change comes from laws restricting people's freedoms. Much of it comes from society deciding something is or is not appropriate any longer.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5291
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb336.
That's a treasure.
jjaba was a college professor, once introduced as somebody's "Ace Spoon Coon."

Last month, traveling in rural South Louisana (Acadiana), jjaba learned how to use the word "coonass."

Leeme tell ya, jjaba avoids problems when out of his element. And in "Coonass Country" jjaba is careful how he talks to dem dar sutherners.
GEAUX TIGERS!

jjaba.

Ravine

Post Number: 845
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wally, if you are determined to infer that your right to Freedom of Speech must be sacrificed, or compromised, in order for you to choose against using a word, I'm not going to get in the way. We all must hoe our own fields.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We all must hoe our own fields.

Careful, Ravine.
:-)

Ravine

Post Number: 846
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, I'm glad that someone noticed my lame attempt at homonymischief. I didn't want anyone to think I was resorting to using cheesy old axioms. Besides, when it comes to field work, I prefer to use a spade.

Wally2times

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,
I think you may not understand me.
personally, I do not use racial slurs or anything of the like but, I'll tell you this, that simply asking one to stop using these words will not work.
How many times growing up in the hood have I heard older folks telling kids to stop saying these things? Too few , actually only twice in all my life.
This funeral thing is a half assed attempt by community leaders to take heat off of them that the majority has put on them because of this whole Imus thing.
Like I said, if you want it to work freedom of speech must be imposed upon and I for one am all for it. Begin imposing, but impose fairly and across the board.

Cwl704
Username: Cwl704

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss-cleo..Thank you...I too am tired of the African American thing....I an american first.If you want to go the other route then I am white and a AA is black.I am not a euro american(doesn't that sound dumb!!!)...I'm just a american or I guess white.

Ravine

Post Number: 848
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wally, I strongly suspect that you are correct in thinking that this conveniently-timed Call To Action is really not much more than a "half-assed attempt" for the reasons to which you referred. I may have misunderstood you; it seemed as though you were interpreting this plan as representing a potential infringement on our right to Freedom of Speech, which it is not. I gather that what you are really saying is that the only way to get rid of the public use of the word is to go ahead and infringe on those rights, and that you would be willing to tolerate that infringement if it would lead to the disappearance of that word. I respect your willingness, with that tolerance, but as much as I hate hearing that word, I am unwilling to surrender even the tiniest part of Freedom of Speech. I hope that, despite your good-intentioned tolerance, you wouldn't truly consider giving up any of it, either. But that's just me, talking to you. Regarding our misunderstanding, I think I see what you're saying, now. Thanks for clarifying. Gotcha, I think.

Karl

Post Number: 7119
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps this is a poor comparison, but I'll try anyway:

30 years ago, I worked in an office in Detroit. I was one of the youngest/newest people in that office, low man on the totem pole as some say. There were approx 200 employees.

In those days, it was common for anyone/everyone to smoke anywhere/everywhere. As a result, desktops (which were shared from shift to shift) were covered with ashes, and computer screens were coated with a yellow wax from having smoke blown at them all day/night.

I suggested that we have a non-smoking section. Ridiculous/impossible said management. In the end, there was a NS section.

Fast-forward to today. Stringent NS rules are everywhere. It was unthinkable only a few years ago to think there would be absolutely no smoking in airplanes. Today there's NS in offices, most public places, airports, etc etc. One would think they're coming after your house next - and maybe so!

Now to the "n" word: Like smoking, perhaps in 30 years we can retire it to places at the end of the earth where, if they must, people can go and yell it to no one in particular, much as they exhale their smoke today. 30 years ago it was unthinkable not to smoke in an office, today just the opposite.

Bottom line: It's gotta start somewhere, and this is as good a place as any. Not all will climb aboard, but if use of the "n" word becomes "politically incorrect" by more and more, it may eventually go the way of smelly cigarettes.

And none too soon.

Wally2times

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,

basically, all thats correct and we pretty much agree but I would give up my a little of my constitutional freedoms if it meant that we all as "a people" could finally live in harmony.
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone would stop using hurtful languange towards one another? How bout if we really treated each other as equals? Or god forbid, lend a helping hand to the underprivlaged so that we could wipe out poverty and the likes.
Martin had a dream, this one could be mine, and all of yours if you'll have it.

Karl

Post Number: 7121
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I don't think anyone has a problem with you going inside your closet and yelling the "n" word for as long and as loud as you wish.

But consider others: like your cigarette smoke, respect their rights and keep it out of their ears and minds.

If you have friends who approve, go somewhere and yell together - away from everyone else.

Just beware of those "n"-word detectors in airplane restrooms......:-)

Wally2times

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lololol "N" word detectors ahahahahahahaha

that was clssic! Made my day Karl thanx!!!!

I could just imagine Uncle Uriah and Snoop Dog together in the bathroom at 33,ooo ft whispering the "N" word to each other and taking turns peeking out of the door with a paranoid look on their faces hoping no one heard them or the detector didn't go off.
lolololol

Karl

Post Number: 7122
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wally, hopefully like many, I look forward to the day when no one pollutes the air with the "n" word - and if you do, folks of all races will look at you for the loser you must be to feel the need to utter it in the first place. Like smokers, perhaps you might even be "ushered" outside by men larger than you for further discussion.

(not you but you know what I mean!)

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 883
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo Karl!!! (Posts 7119, 7122)

Very well put. Thank you for explaining why certain efforts are not futile!!!

and by the way...

Using the term African-American is meant to evoke a similar sense of history that is acknowledged when other Americans use terms like:

Polish-American
Japanese-American
Mexican-American

As everyone well knows, Africa is a continent of 54 countries. So for many African-Americans, it is difficult to impossible to know which of the 54 one is descended from (we all know why that is as well)

In many instances, my native language [English] associates many negative meanings to the word [black]

http://dictionary.reference.co m/browse/black

I have actually enjoyed the use of the term African-American because it more accurately describes part of my history than the word black.

later - naturalsister
8th Generation African-American

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9374
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..one more for you. "Low man on the totem pole" is actually the most important being of the Dodem. So Karl, you were the most important. :-)

Now back to a great discussion.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the points made by Karl and Naturalsister! Great discussion.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 757
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will prove to be a monumental task, good luck NAACP.

Wally2times

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

technically, it should be American-African.
Using the ladder beforehand suggests being born outside of this country.
Such as Polish-American, Italian -American and so on.
People born in this country should use American of this & that decent.
But I guess afro-american or african american just sounds better than american-afro or american - african.
I dunno, I guess that really isnt an issue yet. Im sure it really will become one when we all are ready to merge as one. Hopefully it'll start today but it probably won't finish until after our children's lifetimes.

Ravine

Post Number: 851
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl: I don't know if you do this with anyone else in this forum, but it is remarkable how you consistently misinterpret where I'm coming from.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this funeral doesn't take as long as the Rosa Parks shindig!

/insert rimshot here

Karl

Post Number: 7125
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Ravine. Could we try again?

I based my post on your words: " I respect your willingness, with that tolerance, but as much as I hate hearing that word, I am unwilling to surrender even the tiniest part of Freedom of Speech. I hope that, despite your good-intentioned tolerance, you wouldn't truly consider giving up any of it, either."

And I say to you, bravo. Don't give up a thing - exactly what I'd say to you if you liked to smoke cigarettes, and a lot of 'em.

However, IMHO it is not your right/freedom to impose that word (or your cigarette smoke) on others.

You can even teach your kids that word, just like you can teach them to smoke, or expose them to 2nd hand smoke. You're the parent and until such activities are outlawed you're free to do so. Society as a whole, however, might feel otherwise but as long as you, and your children, keep your activities/speech/smoke within the 4 walls of your home or out in the woods where it doesn't even begin to concern others, you're free to do it.

I'm sorry if you felt I was singling you out, I was not, and I hope this clarifies my thoughts.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 868
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this mean I have to give up my NWA tape?

Ravine

Post Number: 854
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl: Got it. No offense taken. For the record, I detest that word with almost as much vigor as I stress the sanctity of our Freedom of Speech. Actually, I don't know if you read the posts to which I am about to refer, but it was my feelings about that issue which motivated me to spring to your defense, one time when some dope called for a ban on your participation in this forum. Cheers.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just more stirring of the pot by special interests. I travel around and know tons of people, nobody uses this language anymore. It was considered rude and inbred 20 years ago to use these terms. To offend anyone in general for that matter.

If there isn't a situation, one is created by groups whose existence is very much in question these days.

He said what? Here comes the cavalry. It's totally ridiculous. They need to take the money from these mock ceremonies and invest it into inner-city cores where it will do some good.

Miss Cleo: I agree.. Stating some other nationality with the term American is an insult.

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in Mexico...

I foremost call myself "American" (estadounidense).

Also, I use "Afro/African-American" (afroamericano). However, the follow-up question is always, "so how often do you visit your family in Africa?" With my American heritage being a centuries-old product of the slave-trade, it is obvious that this term is inaccurate when used domestically or internationally.

When called "negro" (the Spanish word for black) I quickly correct the speaker by using "moreno" (or brown). Being called a "negro" by Mexicans, or anyone else for that matter, is awkward.

And when greeted with "the n-word," I quickly attempt to give them a quick overview of the history and significance of the word. They say that it is a word of endearment and affection, and that all the rappers of "my kind" use it. It is difficult for them to grasp the idea that such an offensive word could be used so commonly and casually.

Call me "amigo," "primo," "bato," "carnal," or even "guey," but not "nigga."

:-) Hay que respetarse. (One must respect respect him or herself.)

(Message edited by Young_Detroiter on April 30, 2007)

Naturalsister

Post Number: 884
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"Stating some other nationality with the term American is an insult."

An insult to who?

I feel that it is an insult when ANYONE wishes to deny my/or anyone's RIGHT to acknowledge their ancestral roots.

Quote:

"when we all are ready to merge as one"

We are ONE when we RESPECT ALL OF OUR DIFFERENCES, whether cultural, physiological...

I don't remember her name, but there was a psychologist on Oprah (early 90s in think) that remarked that America should be more like a 'salad bowl' than 'melting pot'; where our differences are celebrated, and we are not expected to all be or become the SAME. Yet we are all AMERICANS.

later - naturalsister

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does a mass burial sound? Just make that hole in the ground a little bigger and deep-six honkey, chink, yid, spick, mick, camel-jockey, and the scores of other disrespectful " " words that really have no place in any modern society. Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today, to bury our old false friend-racism. What we thought would protect us from others was actually hurting our very selves. The walls we built to keep others out did nothing but confine our own souls and hearts, and now by burying these borders, we open ourselves to the light of love that has been amiss for years, so many wasted, wasted years. Racism, we will not miss you, only notice that you are gone, until we forget you altogether.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 855
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Side note:
I find it interesting that when Karl actually has a valid argument, he doesn't feel the need to pull out his usual completely -unrelated-to-the-topic "abortion card".
Hasn't appeared once in this thread so far. I'm amazed.
Just an observation.
Back to the regularly-scheduled thread.

Karl

Post Number: 7126
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash, since (after 34 years) the Supremes acted recently to bury a particularly barbaric prodedure for carrying out that practice, I didn't see the need.

And your contribution to this thread was?

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My students know that I don't allow the N word (or any cursing or hurtful language) to be used in my class. It takes about a week at the beginning of the school year of my reminding them to not use that word (I explain to them my reasoning behind my not allowing it in my class). I haven't heard that word in my class or in my section of the hallway for the better part of 7 months. Some of my students have said that they stopped saying it altogether.

Getting the word out of the vocabulary of teens isn't difficult...they just need to know WHY that word shouldn't be used. Don't see why the same can't apply to adults.

Karl

Post Number: 7132
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, why don't you take it to the next step and explain how supporting rappers who use that word is denigrating, perhaps you do.

BTW, any success at explaining away the "f" word? Or is that an accepted part of the landscape these days?

Both are deeply ingrained in certain lyrics today.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5848
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH! The "N" word never dies, black-folks will keep on saying the "N" forever until Jesus Christ comes down heaven and reclaim the righteous. Black-folks have to say the "N" to keep the white folks from saying it to our faces or their kind.

Wally2times

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

Keep white folks from saying it to "our faces"?

Boy, aren't you the little racist?
This is exactly what I meant by double standard.
Danny why is it that you dislike white people exactly?
Why is it that you feel noone but black people should be allowed to use this word?
I'd like a thorough and "qualified" opinion if that exists.

(Message edited by wally2times on May 01, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5850
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wally2times,

Once again I'm not a racist. Please re-read the context and my codespeak carefully before you make you're comments.

Black folks say the "N" word out of their own self hatred and prevent white folks from saying that word to any black person in front of their faces. Any white or ethnic person say the "N" word to black person would a be terrible offense and form of a HATE CRIME and THOUGHTCRIME to our society. I know well that black folks stop saying the "H" word to a white person along time ago and most white-folks don't want to use the "H" word to each other for it would promote a psychological effect on their can do attitudes.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where does it stop though is my question? I watched some of the "bad boys of comedy" last night and they used it (the N word) over and over and over. Nobody cares about that though? WHAT UP WITH THAT?

Really though, my question is Where does it stop? Can we still say kike, honkey, cracker, faggot, queer, etc? Is this ok?

Naturalsister

Post Number: 885
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/v/wD-Up HlB9no

later - naturalsister

Karl

Post Number: 7143
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner asks: "Can we still say kike, honkey, cracker, faggot, queer, etc? Is this ok?"

Everyone is free to speak as they wish in private. Usually their friends/family know them, and know what they mean and/or the context in which they are speaking (of course, don't be surprised if children immitate you at the most inappropriate times)

However -

If I overheard such terms being used by strangers, I'd assume they were:

1. uneducated

2. lacking decent parenting

3. drinking and/or

4. drugging

5. to be avoided at all costs

6. not to be trusted with children.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3962
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We are ONE when we RESPECT ALL OF OUR DIFFERENCES, whether cultural, physiological...

Natsis....we know this but those who hold the power (as well as those who fit the physical characteristics of the mold of that 'majority'), would prefer for all of us to bury who we are as individual cultures in order for us to be "American". IMO I think that is pretty funky in it's own right...

Karl

Post Number: 7147
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DS, are you saying that the "freedom" to willfully and openly use the "n" word is part of African American's "individual culture", and that this particular "freedom" ought to be preserved?

Further, if I'm reading the original article correctly, Rev. Wendell Anthony is the advocate here. Are you implying that he, along with the Detroit chapter of NAACP, are "those who hold the power"?

Naturalsister

Post Number: 886
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl,

I can speak for DS on this one,

NO WAY is he saying such a thing. He saying that White Americans that run the country, visual media, and press - Quote: would prefer for all of us to bury who we are as individual cultures in order for us to be "American"

Right Detroit_stylin??
BTW D_s, exactly why we will NEVER be one. Just suggesting a possible remedy that we know humanity [irony] is incapable of.

later - naturalsister

Karl

Post Number: 7148
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, you're losing me -

Are you saying that by being "individuals" and using the "n" word is an appropriate way to differentiate your culture - and thus avoid:

"White Americans that run the country, visual media, and press - Quote: would prefer for all of us to bury who we are as individual cultures in order for us to be "American""??

There are many unchangeable things that differentiate our cultures, so much so that, as you say, we will never truly be "one". So why would the use of a derogatory term by anyone be beneficial and/or to the good of one particular group?

Wally2times

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think DS is a bit off base and like most,misinformed miseducated about "white america".

White America may be the majority, but just as black america , white america has come a long way in dealing and handling race issues and no, there is no white privlage
and there is no secret conspiracy to keep the black man down and to be completely honest, I find very, very few racist or bigoted whites.

No one wants black Americans,white americans or any other damn americans to stop being who they are.
Give me a break, really. I know plenty of white folks and plenty of black, plenty of others also and the only ones that I hear uttering racism, yup you guessed it, the misinformed, and unfortunately ill educated ones and mostly poor.
More than likely, through no fault of their own.
C'mon people, let's be realistic.
Here we are hundreds of years down the road after american slavery began and ended and yet, %99 of all people are ill educated as to what slavery in america was, who had slaves, who sold them , transported and most importantly, the many different peoples that were slaves.
We sit here and blame each other going round and round in circles in never ending hate and to be honest, its ridiculous, redundant, repugnant and just plain ol childish moronic behavior on all sides.

What we "normal americans (and non americans) want is to be able to live , work , play and love together without having to listen to racist nonsense from anyones mouth even if that anyone is a poor unfortunate misinformed individual who doesn;t realize he/she is racist themselves by always talking dumb shit like "the man this and the man that"

Now this may sound repetitive of a racist rant but here goes and I mean this sincerely,
To all of you that are bigots, black , white , yellow, red whatever, there are plenty of countries on this planet for you to choose one.
If you don't like what our country stands for then please by all means find one you are comfortable here because in all realty of my day to day life and that of others I know of all backgrounds, we choose to live here and we like it here so this is why we choose to put up with your garbage.
You, the bigots are the real minority. This country is supposed to be the land of the free.
Yes I know what your thinking but just like a baby, this country also had to grow and learn and become educated which it will continue doing until we finally achieve that "melting pot" and if you , the minority are not happy then please, leave us people that want to live together alone.

(Message edited by wally2times on May 01, 2007)

Wally2times

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NaturalSister,

Excellent video. Exactly what Im talking about.
Spread the damn responsibility to all of us, not just some of us and like the person in an earlier post said instead of just burying one word, bury all the hurtful ones.

Karl

Post Number: 7153
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the bigger picture, Wally - much better job than my feeble attempt!

Michmeister

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anything, the repetitive, repressive use of the word nigger from black person to black person is playing into the hands of any white/racist "power that be" type. As long as they are keeping themselves down, he has less effort to keep "them" in their place. On a side note, if my writing black person offends, I apologize in advance. In my life I have heard several ways to refer to Americans of African descent. To tell the truth, I prefer not to put anybody into any kind of worthless category. I never had a black friend in my life...... or a white one either. I just had friends- that is just how I was raised.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 887
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't think [hope] that D_s supports the continued use of the _ word.

Quote:

So why would the use of a derogatory term by anyone be beneficial and/or to the good of one particular group?

Karl, it wouldn't/doesn't...our point is somewhat independent of the _ word. Just noting how a vast number of Americans view many cultural differences as un-American.

Yes Wally, I hate HATE! From/towards/by anyone. We're human, we should know better.

later - naturalsister

Michmeister

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cultural differences MAKE us Americans. The problem is, these should be celebrated and not rejected. Like Bill Murray said in the movie stripes, "We`re Americans- our ancestors have all been kicked out of every country in the world!", to paraphrase.

Karl

Post Number: 7156
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, NS -

IMHO, as Americans we should celebrate our differences and share/appreciate our traditions (and the differences between them) with one another. I don't consider any of them "un-American" except perhaps illegals from anywhere.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it sticks-It always bugs me hearing blacks call each other the N word, Ho's,bitches & other stuff but get all riled up when another race would utter the same. Time to retire "Cracker" & some other ones too. If a little more manners & courtesy were practiced today I believe the world would be a much better place!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote from Karl: BTW, any success at explaining away the "f" word? Or is that an accepted part of the landscape these days?

I love explaining that one (usually in the first week of school). I simply write it in BIG letters on the board complete with periods, since it is an acronym. It stand for "For Using Carnal Knowledge". I give the whole history of the word. I tell them that if they want to use an acronym (and BTW, I just taught them what an acronym is)to please use it correctly. That usually stops that word from being used in my class. Giving kids permission to use a word and teaching them the correct way to use it is the best cure. I haven't heard the F bomb in quite some time. It's not as popular as it once was...

I really don't hear much cursing in my class. I just explain to the kids that there is a time and a place for everything and the classroom isn't the time, nor the place. I guess they respect me enough that they follow the rules (at least that is what they say).

Ravine

Post Number: 859
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can be sure that the people who DO fit into the category we could describe as "White Racist America" are enthusiastically delighted to witness self-loathing and self-destruction on the part of Black America. The Good Ol' Boys can lean back and puff on cigars while black folks who are caught up in the aforementioned cycles of behavior "shuffle" around, become addicted to drugs, produce children who will be lucky if they grow up with even one parent, drink heavily, end up homeless or incarcerated, shoot guns at each other in nightclub parking lots and neighborhood drive-by's, and CALL EACH OTHER "NIGGER."

Karl

Post Number: 7158
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Detroitteacher - very informative and innovative.

Ravine: Forgive me if I've misunderstood you once again - BUT - while I can picture in my mind the people you are describing, at the same time I'm around lots of white folks, lots of rich folks, lots of fat cats, and more than a few cigar smokers,

And I gotta tell ya,

They ain't there.

But ya know who is?

Black America right there with (and part of) us.

And sorry to tell ya, if you think Black America has a corner on shuffling, addictions, out-of-wedlock kids, gunfights & prisons, you've been in the sun too long. There's plenty of mess-up to go around.

That being said, I hope that you're not part of the 2nd group, but aspiring to be part of what I would refer to as mainstream America.

(Message edited by karl on May 01, 2007)

Ravine

Post Number: 863
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I specified... "black folks who are caught up in the aforementioned cycles of behavior." I am alert to the fact that not all black people are caught up in those, and that not all cigar-smoking fat cats are white men. I was using a loose image in order to make a point. Part of that point is that, if black folks choose to low-rate, hurt, and kill each other, there are plenty of white folks who are more than O.K. with that.

Wally2times

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops!!! Karl, ya out did what I would have said.

hats off
lolololol

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It stand for "For Using Carnal Knowledge"

That is incorrect:

http://www.snopes.com/language /acronyms/fuck.htm

Michmeister

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a riot! Gotta save that one.

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who says you can't say nigger? honkey, etc
freedom of speech is in the constitution for
christ sakes. whats next, no guns

Karl

Post Number: 7164
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ ^ ^ Sorry, I knew Detroit was a melting pot, but cretins?

"Whats next, no guns"

You wish. Someone's gonna use one on you if you keep that up.

Definitely a loser.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once AGAIN, it all boils down to those that demand respect EARN it. Nobody is going to respect black people when they, themselves, use the word "nigger" as a term of endearment amongst themselves as well as to white people, like myself. I was offended when holding a door open for a black male and thanked by hearing "thanks ma nigga". I would hope any black person would be offended as well but obviously not. I was raised in a household where a friend of my brother was quickly corrected for using the "n" word. I have absolutely no problem with using the word nigger whenever I feel appropriate - thanks to black people.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: