Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » The Gold Cup is only 1 month away! Great family Fun! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.tellusdetroit.com/s ports/goldcup/goldcup-a.html

Free tickets can be found at Chrysler/Jeep Dealers around metro Detroit...........

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sitting here in VA...long gone from the D that I grew up in. Yes, the Rolls and the Allison roars are gone that could be heard miles away with the coming of the Turbos. Never had to buy tickets. Rode a bike to qualifications. Loved every minute of it then and will continue to follow now with this INTERNET stuff. Behind the Florist Shop was a cool place to be. Things change from 1968.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 859
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.abrahydroplanes.com is the website of the Unlimited Hydroplane Tour. On the website is a note that the restored Miss U.S. 1, George Simon's old boat that in 1962 set a speed record for piston powered, propeller driven craft that still stands (200.42 mph) will be on plane at the Gold Cup. The folks at Roush Racing (yes, the NASCAR folks) rebuilt and dry fired a rebuilt Rolls Royce Merlin engine the other day, and the boat itself is getting paint and decals. This is something I'd like to see.

I admire the work the folks at the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum ( www.thunderboats.org )have done in Seattle preserving the old boats, but they're by nature mostly west coast hulls, and as much as I'm looking forward to seeing the restored Green Dragon (Miss Bardahl) or the replica Miss Thriftway, the closest they've gotten to a Detroit boat was the Nitrogen II. I'm REALLY looking forward to the running of the Miss U.S. 1. Should be as good or better than last years show with the Bud and the Atlas Blue Blaster.....

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get the step ladders out!!!! The foot of Marquette or by the Gar Wood judging stands were the best!!!!

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a lot of races in the 70's & 80's my last was 1986. I wouldn't mind going again someday. Several times friends & I went to Belle Isle the night before the race,slept on the beach then got up early Sunday to have a beach cookout breakfast then hang out all day watching all the heats.Drinking cold beer & grilling burgers. We were a mess on Monday morning but what fun!
The best race for me was 1982 Gold Cup. Chip Hanauer won it in Altas Van Lines beating out Miss Budweiser in an epic final.It was very emotional for Chip & the Altas team since Bil Muncey had been killed the previous fall and Muncey's widow was part owner of the boat. It was Dean Chenowith's last race sadly. He was killed shortly thereafter qualifying Miss Bud.

Douglasm

Post Number: 860
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric....
....if you'd been at last year's Gold Cup, you would have seen Chip driving the Blue Blaster AND the Chenowith Bud tearing up the water again. I believe there's some film of that exibition on the Hydro Museum site.....

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those links that Douglasm mentioned are very good. They keep a rather little known sport with a great history available. Kudos ... been in my favorites for a couple of years.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"9 boats have made it to the Roostertail docks for this week's race, however the U-77 boat does not have any engines in stock. They are attempting to buy one off another crew. The U-55 boat has been left without a sponsor, and is hoping to identify some new financing before Sunday's race. If one is identified, they are prepared to ask for an exemption from qualifying...or to be given a special opportunity the morning of the race. An assigned driver has yet to be identified. Two other boats are making sponson repairs resulting from yesterday's tough river conditions. Neither crew would offer if repairs could be finished in time for Sunday's race. It is possible that only 5 boats will be available come Sunday, one of which is a former piston powered Budweiser back-up boat circa 1986.

Sorry....couldn't resist.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my brother's vintage hydroplane. He has raced it during the Gold Cup festivities for the last 5 years or so. It is a 1956 Lloyd. The name is Agitator and the number E-173.

Ookpik

Douglasm

Post Number: 861
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik....
.....looks a little small for a 5 litre boat (the current E class). What size is it?

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The boat is from the old 280 class which became the E class. The largest engine size that could be used was .280 ci, hence the class name. This particular boat has a .265 Cevy V-8. More about the history and restoration of this vintage hydroplane can be found here:

http://vintagehydroplanes.com/ agitatorhistory.html

Ookpik

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some pictures from the recent past..............

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: