Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Detroit's suburban crime hot spots « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 575
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone always talks about Detroit being crime central, and the suburbs being this peacefull crime free area.

However I am sure that is far from the truth. So I was wondering, what areas in the suburbs are considered crime hot spots. Are there any areas people would avoid at night in the burbs?
Do most people need alarms to protect their homes from robbery?

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in the southern end of Warren 1970 to 1972 and had a home invasion attempt there. I hear the area is much worse now. Eastpointe (the old East Detroit) is about the same. Fraser has minimal crime. Roseville is getting worse. Lived in Fraser 30 years without a problem. Moved to Roseville..had a car stolen from right in front of the house and Christmas decorations ripped out of the front yard two weeks before Christmas. I honestly don't think any one area is worse than the other, except in people's perception, partly due to media "hype".

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 914
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lived in eastpointe half my life(dads house) and we had out house broken into when i was ten (1988).

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 917
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In clinton twp there are some neighborhoods east of mt clemens that are rough. Of quinn street and Lotus st near joy.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahaha Clinton Township, scary shit..not i worked with the kids of Joy road nicest kids

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5427
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it me or have we been seeing the Farmington Hills police chief Dwyer more and more on TV with some crime happening in his neck of the woods? I'd never figure Farmington Hills to be a hotbed of crime but just the sheer fact that I can even remember his name must say something. Lord knows I'd be hard pressed to name any other suburban police chief.

Or it could just be that he's one heckuva photogenic dude...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inkster is basically a small version of Detroit.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 643
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren has been rocked by a crime spree over the past couple of years. Murders and robberies and rapes, oh my!

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the unfortunate pleasure of driving through River Rouge yesterday. That place gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy:

there's "crime" everywhere but the type of crime differs from area to area...

you see Dwyer on the tube when some kids drop paint ball pellets from a plane onto their high school for a senior prank...

by contrast, 3 people can be murdered in a house in Detroit and you won't see Ms. Bully-Cummings on TV once

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 576
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

House robbery happens anywhere. But do many people get murdered in the suburbs? Do you have areas with hookers and drug selling, etc?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^well, there an hourly rate motel at the corner of 13-mile and Woodward...

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pontiac has murders, hookers and drug dealers.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 614
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure Pontiac qualifies as a Suburb. It is it's own mess.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have lived in Detroit Downtown for 16 years except for three years in between in the burbs.
Never had a problem yet downtown ( fingers crossed). Live in Huntington Woods for three years, car was broken into once and paint razored once and a bicycle stolen out of the garage during the day ( admittedly I left the door open) ,, go figure.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northville has a perpetual problem with incidents in the Meijer parking lot at eight mail and Haggerty. It's about the only thing listed in the local paper's police blotter.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 933
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But do many people get murdered in the suburbs?

Many suburban police departments go a year or more between homicides. Most suburban murders and attempted murders involve a victim and a perpetrator who know each other, those that do not are usually the victims of a retail store hold-up gone bad.

But instead of just providing generalized responses, maybe some data is in order.

From the FBI Uniform Crime Reports of cities with greater than 100,000 population, here is the data reported by all those cities in SE Michigan:

Ann Arbor
2004 Murders: 2
2005 Murders: 0
2004 total Violent Crimes: 266 (2.33 per thousand residents)
2005 total Violent Crimes: 358 (3.14 per thousand)

Livonia
2004 Murders: 1
2005 Murders: 3
2004 total Violent Crimes: 165 (1.68 per thousand)
2005 total Violent Crimes: 170 (1.73 per thousand)

Sterling Heights
2004 Murders: 5
2005 Murders: 0
2004 total Violent Crimes: 234 (1.89 per thousand)
2005 total Violent Crimes: 282 (2.27 per thousand)

Warren
2004 Murders: 6
2005 Murders: 5
2004 total Violent Crimes: 819 (6.07 per thousand)
2005 total Violent Crimes: 862 (6.39 per thousand)

Detroit
2004 Murders: 385
2005 Murders: 359
2004 total Violent Crimes: 15,913 (17.94 per thousand)
2005 total Violent Crimes: 20,938 (23.61 per thousand)

"Violent crimes" includes murder, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.
Due to changes in their reporting of data, Warren and Detroit's numbers are not directly comparable to previous years.

(Message edited by Mikeg on June 15, 2007)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 755
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is to be expected Detroitbill. There is really nothing left in Detroit to vandalize, steal or scrap, the only logical choice is to hit the 'burbs. I think I read on some blog south of 8 mile that every single residence and building within the city limits has been broken into a minimum of five times.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 733
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the only logical choice is to hit the 'burbs.

Troy Police nab trio for brazen daylight car wash robbery:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local /story.aspx?content_id=670aa2b 6-7b7d-4214-9529-5237fbc6a1de& rss=785

Guess which city all three armed robbers were from?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 994
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and I KNOW you believe that...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think I read on some blog south of 8 mile that every single residence and building within the city limits has been broken into a minimum of five times.

a trusted source.

Quozl

Post Number: 756
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

a trusted source

The DEFINITIVE, trusted source for everything South of 8 Mile Road doncha know (logo by pimp-text)!!

(Message edited by quozl on June 15, 2007)

(Message edited by supersport on June 15, 2007)

(Message edited by lowell on June 15, 2007)

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is child molestation and pedophelia crimes? Seems like everytime you hear of a case involving kids it comes from one of the burbs.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

(Message edited by lowell on June 15, 2007)

editing battle royale?

Quozl

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, I won. Those cop wannabees are something...

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pontiac is a satellite city, not a suburb. It has some crime but almost no random violence to speak of, and for its size the crime rates aren't bad. The most problematic area is probably (not having looked at the specific statistics) Auburn Avenue between Opdyke and Woodward, and north to M-59 and south to South Blvd. This neighborhood is known as 'Unity Park.'

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in Ferndale I witnessed a man in a truck trying to steal a truck parked at a collision shop on Marshall: he was being extremely loud, cussing and banging on the steering column-noticed another man lurking in the alley nearby, grabbed my cell phone and the police were there in less than a minute, nabbing the suspects as they turned the corner onto Woodward. Too bad it was dark, I could only identify one guy from the clothes (which wasn't good enough when I testified in court, honestly telling the defense attorney I couldn't identify him). The Detroit resident who was arrested was in his 40s and had an extensive criminal record. The clerk at Java Hutt on 9 mile was strong armed as I sat on the couch about 4 years ago. White suspect. Most of the crime, however, based on reports I read in the local paper, seems to spill over from Detroit. I appreciate and understand the need for a strong police presence along the suburbs which border Detroit.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Message edited by Terryh on June 15, 2007)

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper Woods has had a few murders of late, and 1 a few years ago. I believe thats more in the last 2 years than in its whole history. Most of the trouble seems to always be on the west side of 94.

Wsu98
Username: Wsu98

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shelby Township has had at least five murders over the last four years if memory serves correct

Wsu98
Username: Wsu98

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected it was Chesterfield Township

Quozl

Post Number: 773
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Omni Consumer Products (OCP) needs to relocate out to the 'burbs it looks like...

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GP is a lawless wastleand of violence and crime.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 778
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many suburban police departments go a year or more between homicides.

But when a suburbanite decides to kill someone, they go all out. Dismembering your wife with a band saw, anyone? Here in Detroit, if you're gonna kill someone, you just pop a cap in 'em. Baddabing.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up in Birmingham and the house was burglarized twice.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 514
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every community has crime issues, but for the most part Detroit's suburbs are relatively safe. The inner ring suburbs tend to have more serious crime issues(IMO much of that is a result of spillover from Detroit.)
Sometimes the "Police blotter" section in my town's paper is almost comical. Smashed mailboxes, stolen radios and DUI's are the typical issues, but one of the more memorable articles was about someone cutting the tails off of horses. I guess that's kind of like stealing rims in the city. =) If a more serious crime does occur it's front page news for months.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejesus wrote:

quote:

^well, there an hourly rate motel at the corner of 13-mile and Woodward...

where??? i'm aware of the fire station, gas station, mall, and drug store and that intersection...

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe he's speaking of the Travelodge on the east side of Woodward next to Walgreen's before you get to Coolidge.

I wasn't aware they had hourly rates... I've seen the sign for weekly rates, for sure.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rawk wrote:

quote:

Many suburban police departments go a year or more between homicidres.

But when a suburbanite decides to kill someone, they go all out. Dismembering your wife with a band saw, anyone? Here in Detroit, if you're gonna kill someone, you just pop a cap in 'em. Baddabing.

actually, you raise a point...the covering-up of evidence. in the "d," the preferred method is burning the body, and killing potentially talkative witnesses.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 417
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard people say that Livonia is safer without SMART. But, there are many actual facts that prove that areas that have good public transit are much safer.

One of the basic reasons Detroit has problems is the lack of basic bare bones transportation facilities that serve the need for those who can't drive.

Yet, Michigan still keeps over one billion dollars set aside specifically to bulldoze a large section out of the city of Detroit.

Detroit is a city of the homeless and the rich multi-millionaires sitting side by side at SEMCOG and MDOT and TRU meetings.

But in August 2010, we all get one vote.

Yes for the Billion dollar freeway.

NO for the right to save SMART first before Detroit get bulldozed over

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4555
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

South Warren is pretty bad especially at night. This opinion came from the mouths of about 4 cops I know. I'd have to say there and 15/Gratiot area.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 181
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why isn't Pontiac considered a suburb? It's not even the largest city in the OC. Troy, Waterford, Farm Hills all have larger population in fact.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 218
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, give it up. Are you sure you don't live in bizzarro Livonia?

Of course we're safer without SMART...I remember in the late 90's the SMART bus would pull up and a bunch of scary people from Detroit would get out and clean out an entire house in 10 minutes! Criminals always ride the bus.

But seriously, if you've heard people say that, then a) they are idiots, and b) perhaps you need to find a new group of people to associate with.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work in Belleville and found out QUICKLY about Kirkridge Park and Parkwood Manor. More or less its the projects, and loaded with guns and drugs. Whats concerning is that theyre building new subdivisions right next to it, giving the crackheads nicer places within walking distance to rob.
Norwayne-aka Shacktown-in Westland also made me pretty uneasy.
Southfield is very high in car thefts, but most of the crime there occurs in the apartment complexes.I'm an avid scanner listener and I constantly hear about goings-on at apartment buildings.Some of them on Franklin rd. might as well have their own police mini-station, but just travelling through southfield in and of itself isnt a big risk. Another place I constantly hear police activity is the East side of Dearborn.
Of course, when it comes to what residents or former residents have said, Hamtramck takes the cake for number of negative comments. Cool city, but I've heard countless tales of violence.
People also talk about Windsor like they talk about the 'burbs. "Oh, its so clean, and it doesnt have any bad areas". Bullcrap. Ive heard from multiple sources that the west side is heavy drug territory, both in terms of manufacturing and sales. Out east, Drouillard Rd is seedy, full of topless bars, and kinda spooky.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 419
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazoo, I don't associate with anyone who thinks SMART brings in criminals because nearly everyone who rides SMART works. The problem with Livonia is the new recreation center cost a hell of lot money per year and those that supported it just simply beat the transit advocates. It's a big money grab issue and those who supported the rec. center were very sneaky and greedy. No one even knew about the vote until a few days before and it was not in the newspapers. No campaign or promotion at all. The vote was on an off day when most don't vote. SMART officials were just too slow, they could have gotten lots more money from local sources, if they did not shoot too low at first because most people want mass transit even if they don't use it. It's like police and fire service and is essential for those who can't drive.

Imagine not paying $25. to park for a ball game? I think we should tax game and concert tickets to pay for SMART because then lots more concerts; sports and conventions would come here. The superbowl game showed this need and we must provide good services like SMART buses or promoters of these events just will not come here and will bypass us for other cities.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown-Pontiac is not considered a suburb because it was the original city in that area. It was an industrial and residential city developed independent of Detroit. It's a 'satellite' city. The townships and cities surrounding Pontiac-Waterford, Auburn Hills, Sylvan Lake, Bloomfield Hills, etc.-are suburbs of Detroit, not Pontiac. And it obviously is not a suburb in that it is an urban place in its own right, separate from Detroit. There aren't any other places in Oakland County with such a traditional city layout and urban feel.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 734
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit man charged in fatal shooting in Taylor:

http://www.thenewsherald.com/s tories/061707/loc_20070617002. shtml

Damn crime-ridden suburbs!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4282
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman that was THE most coherant arguement that I have ever seen you post (even though it has nothing to do with the thread) and I actually found it interesting and informative...

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southfield = Detroit, Jr. (but still lacks the high crime rate.)

Ann Arbor, Livonia, Warren, and Sterling Heights have extremely low homicide rates. In spite of having populations of over 100,000, they experience few to no murders per year.

In spite of Detroit's population decrease of 10,000-12,000 every year, the number of homicides remain in the same range 350-400.

One could say that the criminals are not leaving, and the victims are frequently associated with the criminals (i.e. the drug trafficking); however, I know that numerous individuals a part of those statistics have been innocent bystanders and/or law-abiding citizens.

Obviously, I cannot compare the situations of Detroit to those of the suburbs (apples and oranges). Nevertheless, we too often excuse Detroit's crime problems due to the economic situation of the inner-city. Does being economically oppressed or disadvantaged give one the right to rob another for $5 and then fatally shoot him or her? I hope the answer is a resounding "no." Being subjected to the sound of constant gunfire in my northwest Detroit neighborhood is inhumane.

I have been living in Mexico, a place with a horrid reputation, and have not been robbed or attacked once. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for my experience of living in my beloved city, Detroit.

The only place in which I feel comfortable in Detroit is Downtown Detroit. Unfortunately, the region is treating the CBD like a suburban destination, and forgetting about the rest of the city. People forget that at least one person dies everyday in the limits of the city. They forget until it hits home.

"Believe 'N the D!"

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i live in oakland township and a dog pooped on my lawn the other day....i am MOVING

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: