Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » What to do in Windsor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So my cousin from Phoenix is in town for the weekend and we're looking at taking a day trip to Windsor. We're open to suggestions on where to go and what to do south of the border. So please let us know so we can make the most of our trip. Thanks.

Miken123
Username: Miken123

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm.... a good question to narrow down some gory details may be if your cousin is a He or a She?

Best to ya!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cousin is a gay man who loves historical buildings, cities and the like. We are curious about the old Italian neighborhood that is still intact in Windsor, but we have no idea where it is.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did he bring at least his passport application receipt?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, he has his passport as do the rest of us.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5424
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go check out the wineries out by Point Pelee. It's a nice drive out that way actually.

And while you're over in Canada, swing by the riverfront around sunset- Detroit never looked so good.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Italian neighbourhood is on Erie Street East. Just head south down Ouellette for a few minutes and you'll find it.

And FYI you still don't need passports yet to cross back home by land.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5426
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No passport needed YET.

But another suggestion might be to go have dim-sum over at one of the fabulous Chinese places over there. I'd recommend their Chinese food places over most of the ones here in Detroit any day of the week.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad Club Happy Tap is closed. He probably would have enjoyed that.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walkerville!!! Home of Hiram Walker's Canadian Club. Albert Kahn was the architect of choice. The neighborhood is filled with Kahn-designed homes and other buildings.

Walkerville walking tour: http://www.citywindsor.ca/Disp layAttach.asp?AttachID=320

Canadian Club Brand Center (tour of the Hiram Walker Corporate Offices, designed by Mason and Rice with the young Albert Kahn): http://canadianclub.com/Herita geTour.asp

Willistead Manor (home of Edward Chandler Walker, one of Hiramn's sons, designed by Kahn): Tours only on Sunday, but you can still walk the grounds (I think) http://www.citywindsor.ca/0002 23.asp

Hope that helps!!!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6274
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take him to Walkerville. While there is no central gay community or district in Windsor, there are a large number of gays in the Walkerville area.

Kathleen is right the grounds of the city park (Willistead Park) are open every day, and you can walk around the manor.

Little Italy, is very close to Walkerville, and worth a visit too. Also check out the waterfront park system, the best view of the Detroit skyline is from Windsor.

Aiw

Post Number: 6275
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to a quick map I made for you.

http://tinyurl.com/2y5mwk

I noted the 4 corner of the main part of the Walkerville District. Be sure to walk down Devonshire from Wyandotte St. to St. Mary's Church as well.

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop by at the Kildare House!

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 867
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Map of Essex County wineries:

http://winesofontario.org/html /trav_lakeErie.htm

the most popular are Colio Estates (Harrow) and Pelee Island's Kingsville location.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3889
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An architectural must see is the Lothian designed art-deco-ish St. Clare Cathedral now St. Peter's Maronite Church at Park? and Victoria?. [My personal favorite Windsor Gem] If you can get inside, even better.

St. Clare

For the real stuff visit AIW's www.internationalmetropolis.co m - the authoritative Windsor history / architectural site along with Walkervillepub's www.walkervilletimes.com outstanding Windsor history and activities websites.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9481
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also the Carrousel of Nations happening this week. Lots of good food and fun!

http://www.themcc.com/Events/c arrousel/carrouselofthenations .htm

Take a walk in downtown and you will find some hisden gems of architecture (on Victoria Ave, 2 blocks west of Ouellette Ave).

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. These are all great suggestions. I told him all I had to do was ask the question on this board in the evening and it would be full with quality suggestions by morning. Thank you all. We're deciding what to do now so any last-minute suggestions are still welcome.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want the " old Italian neighborhood, you are talking about Erie St, over 25 restaurants and cafes,, 20 retail shops and bakeries...
go out of the tunnel, turn left, then left onto Ouellette ( the main street of downtown Windsor) up about 4 lights to where Erie intersects Ouellette (Hotel Dieu Hospital), turn left and keep driving, you cant miss all the action. Great restaurants,, ( La Zingara, Nico, Mezzo, Tutto, Spago, Noi, La Contessa, and many more),, in all my travels to Chicago, New York and Toronto, I still think its the best concentration of good Italian restaurants anywhere, its puts New Yorks "Mulberry Street ( Little Italy) to shame I think. They have done some great things with these places also... As for Happy Tap,, its reopen just last week..

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmmmmmmmm Spago. They had a fresh gnocchi with butternut squash and sage sauce last time I was there. Very groovy little neighborhood.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, you cant go wrong, on Labor Day weekend they also have the Via Italia International Bike Ride, over a 1,000 riders racing from around the world, Also some of the waiters are from Italy visiting at the restaurants,, great ambience..
All in our backyard, another reason that makes our area great.

Aiw

Post Number: 6276
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even more so in my backyard.

I'm three blocks north of Little Italy. :-)

As Lowell said the Art Deco church is at Tecumseh Rd & Victoria Ave.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: