Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Police Station Sold - New Restaurant on the way « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070615/NEWS01/ 70615028

There was a thread a few weeks ago regarding this. Looks like it is happening.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think that they will tear it down and build a more appropriate looking building?

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any idea why Conyers and Kenyatta voted no?

Tuere
Username: Tuere

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a picture please?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Any idea why Conyers and Kenyatta voted no?"

I'm sure they don't know themselves.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the "central district": http://www.detroitmi.gov/police/dept/pcts/districts.htm

(Message edited by charlottepaul on June 15, 2007)

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

according to the Freep comment section...they voted 'no' because they are racist.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6050
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mbr,

Conyers and Kenyatta voted no because folks around the Midtown area need that police station to report and violent crime the North Cass Corridor area.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The city employees at that location will move to leased space on Woodward in the New Center Area."

New Center isn't that much further unless your only transportation is walking and you have to report a crime in person.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2990
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Woodward corridor is really energized already and a Fishbones on that sight will be huge. Let's hope there is no parking facing the road there, though.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because any new business in the city by a surburbanite is bad.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the only reason I could think of either. Why vote no for anything positive? 313

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

according to the Freep comment section...they voted 'no' because they are racist.

Every now and then I start to build up some hope for Detroit, Michigan, Humanity, etc. etc., then I read the Freep comments section and watch it all come crashing down.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is right across from South University Village, yes?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Purple Gang lineup photo that was taken at that particular precinct station.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just call Wayne State police if you have a problem in the future in the area. They don't mess around, they'll be there in two minutes flat with guns a blazin'. 577-2222.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Woodward corridor is really energized already and a Fishbones on that sight will be huge. Let's hope there is no parking facing the road there, though.

OK, it's not an actual Fishbones going there. It's just going to be a restaurant opened by the man who OWNS Fishbones.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 774
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have pic of Vito Giacalone, Anthony Giacalone, Michael Santo Polizzi and me at that Precinct Station too. We were over on the eastside around Mack and Conner at a barber shop that had a great gambling den in the basement. I was driving the Lincoln back up Woodward and Vito recognized the person in the car next to us and had me cut him off. He wanted to pound the guys ass except the cops were there within seconds. I took the heat cuz the Boss told me to.

I lost my job driving the Lincoln on July 30, 1975 when I lost a passenger while leaving the Machus Red Fox on Telegraph. Freakin' Anthony Provenzano totally lost his nerve and got so pissed off I thought he was going to put a cap in my ass. Tony Jack told him to give me 4 weeks severance pay instead.

(Message edited by quozl on June 15, 2007)

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if not a Fishbone's maybe a Cheesecake Factory?

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 848
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F*** the Cheesecake Factory.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you forget the Cheesecake Factory already. I want to tasTe some ORIGINALITY, something new, something with a new flavor. NO CHAIN! <313>

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Figured that could be the case after a second reading, Dialh. I'll be interested to see what he comes up with.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Because any new business in the city by a surburbanite is bad."

Actually the owner is from Grosse Pointe. Technically a suburb I guess.

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that any new construction on Woodward in Midtown must abut the Avenue.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you all remember when Mc Donalds was built on woodward near mack a few years ago/? it was breaking news. We have to sit back an realize we are miles ahead of where we were 10 years ago.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN Zone?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 867
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Because any new business in the city by a surburbanite is bad.

That's the only reason I could think of either. Why vote no for anything positive?

You sound like the Detroit haters on the Freep boards. Maybe they didn't like sale price or according to one poster on the Freep board WSU was interested the building and they preferred it be sold to WSU. Both these are a lot more plausible reasons than suburban hate. Better yet write them and find out why they voted no instead of coming up with conspiracy theories

(Message edited by eric on June 15, 2007)

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 342
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who cares why they said no,, A NEW RESTAURANT IS COMMING TO MID-TOWN.!!! Woodwards reminding me more an more of Peach street in Atl.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how the city has to rent space which they were not doing before as they owned the building that held the old #13, while a building sits vacant, two blocks away at Canfield, that used to house a restaurant and is awaiting another? Wonder what kind of deal old Ted Gatzaros got? $1 Million for that building, just to tear it down? Sure?

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 342
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070616/NEW S01/706160317

This article mentions two parcels on Farmer which were approved for sale by the city.

What will happen there?

Anyone have a clue?

Foodandwine
Username: Foodandwine

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Farmer? Are those the parking lots behind the Cadillac Square Apartment Building?

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 750
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why buy Camp Detroit when Agave is sitting there doing nothing?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I have a Purple Gang lineup photo that was taken at that particular precinct station."

Sorry, but you don't. That building was built in 1948, a good decade or more after the demise of the Purple Gang. Your photo is likely from the station that it replaced, the old Canfield station. Both were called the 13th Precinct.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6052
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl

I didn't know that you was in the mafioso! You must have been great in the crime family.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 296
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Funny how the city has to rent space which they were not doing before as they owned the building that held the old #13, while a building sits vacant, two blocks away at Canfield, that used to house a restaurant and is awaiting another? Wonder what kind of deal old Ted Gatzaros got? $1 Million for that building, just to tear it down? Sure?

The building that formerly held Agave is owned by a private person. Is it even for sale? Say what you want about Gatzaros, but he is definitely not a renter of property.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo for Ted. He was investing money in the City way before it became fashionable.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman, it seems as though they already lease it:
"Employees at the Central District will move to a building the department already leases at West Grand Boulevard and Woodward in New Center..."

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old 5th precinct building at the corner of St. Jean and E. Jefferson sits idle and boarded up.
Is there any contemplated use for it?

N.B. WESTSIDER--- "contemplated" means to look in an attentive or thoughtful manner.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Ray. I would love to get into archives to look at mugshots from the first five decades of the last century.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DPD used to have an Archives Unit in the late seventies, but I imagine with the shortage of manpower that unit was long abolished. I do hope they maintained all the data they had accumulated somewhere. Burton Collection would have been a great place; I just hope it's not sitting in some waterlogged basement.

The old Sixth precinct at McGraw and Braden was up for sale last month (minimum bid, 150,000), but I don't think there were any takers.

Took a ride downtown today and was impressed with all the people down there. But 1300 Beaubien looked as gloomy as ever.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bravo for Ted. He was investing money in the City way before it became fashionable."

Yeah, but has he paid up his property taxes yet? Years ago there was a big expose in the papers on how he got all these buildings with city development money and then didn't even pay his property taxes.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 979
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They voted no because it is a jewel of the city that must be owned by the city.

No more selling of city assets!!

Signed, our retarded city council.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: