Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Far Eastsiders on DetroitYes Forum » Archive through April 28, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_girl
Username: Detroit_girl

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: we used to make fun of Ron's hairpiece all the time. LOL! He still wears it and it's as bad as ever. I don't have "growing up" memories of the East side but have lived in EEV on Bishop for about 4 years. Love it.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...they were pretty funny! They were also very sexist...but overall it was an easy and fun job to have at 16. A true neighborhood store (though pretty snobby sometimes) where regulars would just put things on their tab and pay once a week or month.

All my friend lived in EEV, so even though we went to private school we had a great sense of neighborhood.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the Vitale boys ,have been feuding with the comic store owner. Have you heard about that?

Pgn421

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitgirl!? i lived at 3472 bishop we had lived there 40 years.

Detroit_girl

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live at 4375 so we practically would have been neighbors. One time in a hole-in-the-wall bar up north my boyfriend and I started a conversation with an older gentleman who had also lived on Bishop and had known the original owner of my house. That was really crazy! What are the odds?

Pgn421

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitgirl! Thats wild.! wow! I knew a lot of people from Mack to warren on Bishop. My dad had his real estate office on Warren between Bishop and Yorkshire. He sold a lot of houses in the neighborhood, in the 45 years he was in business!

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone play mid morning, cheap HOCKEY at the ICE CAPADES rink. Like 200 300 AM. Vernor, Charlevoix, Kercheval, Mack at blank?

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New to the board and just found this thread.

I grew up on the far eastside. Redmond & Eastburn.

I had a paper route for 5 years, so I spent ALOT of time at the News Station on Boulder. My route was on Rossini between Boulder and Kelly.

I remember playing my 1st video game (Pac Man) at Handy Spot.

I still go over to that neighborhood all the time, as my mom still lives in the same house I grew up in.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imhere
Did you know any of the Stanko's who lived on eastburn?

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi....I decided to rejoin the forum after a few years of occasional posts. I noticed this thread and will post this on behalf of my baby boomer father.
11446 Whithorn 1953-1968, 1971-1976
Grade School: St.David ( E. Outer Drive and Rosemary)
High School: De La Salle Collegiate Class of '66
Conner and Glenfield
Hang outs: Ramona Lanes(6 Mile and Hickory, Ramona Theatre (6 Mile and Gratiot) Chandler Lanes, Parkside Lanes, Jefferson Club, Harper Rec, Chandler Park, Bessy Field, Red Carpet, Ben Franklin branch of Detroit Public Library, the fence for Detroit City Airport along Conner doing "whatever",

Restaurants/bars: Villanova's Pizza, Happy Landings on Conner, Ka Van's, Sportsmen's, Kragers, Little Cafe, Shield's on Davison, Turtle Soup Inn, Shooting pool for beer at the Cloud 9 Bar on Larned against residents of the Akron and Claydale hotels. If you remember that stretch of Brush between Larned and Congress you know what that means.

Stores: A&P(Gratiot and Jane), Morley Candy(Gratiot and Burns), the party store at Conner and Whithorn where being Italian was important.

Imhere

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven - Stanko's doesn't ring any bells. Where on Eastburn did they live. I lived Between Redmond & Boulder.

Caldogven

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imhere
The Stanko's lived at 16640 Eastburn. Frank owned Houston Collision, at Dickerson. I know he still lived on Eastburn as of two years ago.

Imhere

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven - No I didn't know anyone that lived that far down on Eastburn. I believe that address would be the last block before Kelly? I was in the 16000 block.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump, the forum topic must live

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Urbanize:

Is Polla's market still on Kelly and who remembers the Milk Depot on Kenosha and Kelly that still sold penny candy in the early 80's. Oh and not to thread jack but who remembers Calcaterra's Funeral Home? Associated with the defunct gas stations, they stored their vehicles in what used to be an old Marathon station, where Redmond, Moross and E. Seven Mile came to a point.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13000 block Eastburn representing. Family home from 1940 - 1993. I love that house. I miss it. Sweet little bungalow.

(Message edited by kathinozarks on March 19, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Gtat, Polla's closed about roughly about a year or two ago.

Gtat44

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer. Always had great produce and top notch meat.

Urbanize

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump again. Come on you eastsiders, keep this forum alive!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As some of us are nearing a milestone birthday, we are recalling the clubs and bands of our late teens (mid-1970s). I came up with "The Red Grape" which was a club. Anyone know where exactly it was? I'm thinking somewhere along McNichols west of Gratiot.

And the word "Connection" keeps coming to mind. Only I can't figure out if it was a club or a band. Help!!

Also, where were these places: Lili's, The Olive Pit, and Tiffany's? Lili's might have been on Whittier. And I think Tiffany's was where Jac's Detour is/was on Harper.

Let the memories flow!!!

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,
The Olive Pit was originally Kragers. That was located at Gratiot and Rochelle. My grandfather was good friends with John Cocuzza and his father Bennie. They bought Kragers from Mrs. Krager in the early 1970's I believe and then it became the Olive Pit. Bennie Cocuzza tended bar at a place on Mack near Alter rd. called Little Wally's before they bought the Olive Pit.

Imhere

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw the thread about Skating @ Fairlane and it brought back memories of Ice Skating at Heilman (sp?) park.

They had an outside rink next to the pool house. I don't remember if there was a charge to use it or not, but I do remember skating there a few times in the Mid-Late 70's.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I knew the Cocuzza kids in the '80s.
Nice family.

Oh, the old days at Assumption Grotto.

Gtat44

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ice Rink at Heilmann's was our left field wall when we were kids. And how many people remember Sat. night at Notre Dame when the bands played. Those of you from the late 70's and early 80's remember Toby Redd?

Detroit_girl

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Toby Redd. When I was 12-13 my older sister was a huge fan and she and her boyfriend would take me to their all-ages shows. These include shows at Hart Plaza, the Pontiac Silverdome parking lot (during a football strike, I believe?), a beach and a ski resort. We would get all dressed up in our "new wave" outfits and they would slip me drinks. It was tons of fun for a 12-year-old. We also went to see Bittersweet Alley.

Gtat44

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played league ball with the drummer. Chris Mazzola stage name Chris Maze.

Detroit_girl

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How funny. My sister had a crush on Dennis (bassist, I think?) Those were the days.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BSA!

Imhere

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the Neighborhood fireworks display that used to go on at McGregor school. Had to be late '70s early '80s.

All of the "Older" neighborhood guys would get a bunch of fireworks and let them off on the Baseball diamond.

It went on for a few Years in a row. I remember a couple of Years where the DPD would stop and watch as well. Even though most, if not all, of the fireworks being shot off were illegal, the DPD just let it go.

It was a very well done deal. Everyone would take their turn with whatever they brought.

Gtat44

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We always had our at Heilmann. And the cops would watch from the parking lot on the west side behind the pool.

Gspark
Username: Gspark

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow handyspot i remember that place and heilmann was the usual hangout for the kids on the block, they use to have a yearly carnival there

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3914
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat44, was Chris Mazzola the son of Sal & Helen Mazzola? Helen was the head cashier at the Morang & Kelly Chatham Supermarket (early 70's) where I worked.

I remember seeing her son visiting the store many times, and I think he was in a rock band (long black hair).

Gtat44

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep that's him, although I have know idea where he is now, or whether he would even remember me, it's been at least 25 years. And don't forget most of the guys in our old neighborhood had shoulder length hair back then.

Gtat44

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the by who remembers the Flying Dutchmen on 8 Mile and Groesbeck. Naughty naughty and then the insurance fire.

Urbanize

Post Number: 467
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 330
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toby Redd, Bittersweet Alley - thanks for giving back the memory!
I hung out with Adrenalin for a while just before and after the singer, David died. (1980?)
I thought they were going to be big time. What a groupie I was!

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's a blast from the past! Yes, I heard David Larson committed suicide. I hoped it wasn't true, but when they got a song in a movie, they had a different singer, so I don't know.

I used to work with Brian Pastoria, the drummer for Adrenalin, on Forest and Crane at a linen company while I was at WSU. He was a driver and I worked in the office. I wrote a piece on them for the "South End" and the headline read: "Local Punks Headline WSU Concert". I could have strangled the editor! The last thing they were was Punk!

I wrote another article on Bittersweet Alley. One of the guys in the band went to WSU also, I think his name was Bill. I went to see Toby Redd a bunch of times at the Red Carpet; it was like they were the house band, or something.

I wasn't a groupie, though...it was my vocation. I ended up working for Warner-Elektra-Atlantic after I graduated. Turns out that nationally, being from Detroit gives you a lot of credibility in the music business!

Gistok

Post Number: 4057
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame, I didn't EMAIL you cuz there wasn't much more about Marquette School Kindergarten teacher... Mrs. Cantine than what I read in the papers. A little blurb on the Obituary page. Only that she and her husband were in a small town in upstate New York as vacationing retirees (in the late 1990's), and that a car struck them both, and they died instantly.

I never had Mrs. Cantine, since I started at Marquette in the 2nd grade. My teachers were Mrs. Price, Ms. Bloom, Mrs Kiswinney (sp?), Mrs. Peterson and Mrs. Fuhrer (who died of cancer soon after I had her in the 6th grade, and was replaced by Mrs. Markey).

My favorite teachers at Marquette were Mrs. Pagoto (music) (still alive and kicking in her 80's in Harper Woods), and Mrs. Gardner (library).

Gistok

Post Number: 4058
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I incorrectly named the wrong "new" name for O.N.E. (Organized Neighbors East), which was the name of our far eastside neighborhood just east of East English Village.

The new correct name for the neighborhood will be CORNERSTONE VILLAGE.

After all the neighborhood is in the CORNER of Detroit... surrounded by EEV, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Woods, Harper Woods and I-94.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Chris Mazzola the brother of Joey Mazzola who used to be in the band Sponge?

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about brothers, but i know Joey is an eastsider and currently is in the Detroit Cobras.

Stromberg2

Johnerot
Username: Johnerot

Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am honored to see my family's name, Cocuzza, being mentioned...and the Olive Pit. I used to work there in '84. My uncle Ben owned the place. I live in Las Vegas now but the good ole memories of Detroit remain. 6 Mile & Gratiot used to be nice area. My parents & grandparents are buried at the Assumption Grotto. Remember the 4M bar?
...and the Clock Restaurant! OMG...i'm feeling old..

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4M Bar! Wasn't that owned by the Settipanis and named for each of his 'M" named daughters?

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnerot,
Was it sometime in the early 1970's that your uncle and John bought the place from Mrs. Krager ?
I have a mug from Kragers on my desk that was received before it became the Olive Pit. Was it your uncle that lived on Mapleridge ? Is the family in the bar/restaurant business anymore ?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing how many postings are recognizable to this former far eastsider, Chris Mazzola of Toby Redd lived on Seven Mile and played drums int the St. Jude band, Chris's brother Sal was in my grade. The Stankos on Eastburn also attended St. Jude (sadly, a daughter passed away in eight grade). The far eastside in the 60s and 70s are noted especially for the number of kids in the neighborhoods. St. Jude school had 60 kids per class in the early grades and 4 classes per grade. Over 1600 students attended the school. Of course, ND HS, Regina, Denby, Columbus, Burbank, MacGregor were also full. Heilmann pool had a wait of over an hour for swimming during the summer when it was an outdoor pool(capacity of 208) and it seemed every hardball and softball diamond were occupied on summer evenings. Does anybody remember when Heilmann was a Nike missle site? I heard soldiers would attend mass at St. Jude.
Everything you needed was available on Kelly Rd from Moross up to Vernier. Doctors, dentists, tastee-freeze, drugstores(Merits), plumbing (Roulo), groceries(Chatam, Pollas), bakery (Tringali), hardward (Bridagare), barbershop, salon, bars (the paper station, Werners), gas stations (Marathon, Sinclair) schools and Of course, Eastland. I particulary remember the boulevard on Moross between Kelly and I-94...towering elm trees once lined both side of the boulevard. Many touch football games were played along there with the tree line used as the boundary lines. Other postings of other threads mentioned the Goodfellow games between ND and Denby in 1965. The nuns at St. Jude made a big deal out of it because many of the St. Jude students were going to one of those two schools. Yes, it was a 14-14 tie.
The Civic Theater and sometimes the Ramona were the places to hangout. The Civic was neat because the projection room was usually open and you could get a demo on all the equipment.
For those of you into eastside nostalgia with a political twist read "Made in Detroit" by Paul Clemens (published in 2005)

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Clemens' book is a little too whiny for me.
Like he's the only guy in town who had a rough time in the neighborhood.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: Thanks for the Marquette School info. Also nice to be able to identify my old neighborhood with a name, since I always said "East of East English Village", and everybody would go: "whaa?"

And are you telling me there are no trees along Moross anymore between St. John's & the freeway? What's planted there now...nothing? Were they never replaced?

Gistok

Post Number: 4099
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are lots of trees planted along Moross. Some new, some old. All the Elms died long ago, and all of the Ash trees (Emerald Ash Boarer infestation) are dying now. But there have been many trees planted along there in the mean time, so it is by no means bare.

The stretch of Moross between I-94 and Kelley however has been pretty much decimated of old tree growth, but new trees have been planted there as well.

On another thread last year it was noted (and agreed to) that Moross is the widest boulevard in Detroit.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's good to know they've replaced the old dying trees on Moross; I hope they continue to do so.

I remember visitors, especially those we had from Italy, would remark that despite it's urban setting, Detroit was very green. Lots of trees and grass. It adds so much to the quality of life of a neighborhood. Oftentimes, trees in cities and everything that goes with them (birds, shade, fall colors, carbon dioxide, etc.) are not appreciated until they're gone. Thanks for the update.

Hnewm
Username: Hnewm

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Aunt & uncle owned the Brock party store in the 60's and 70's I also played hockey at Heilmann outside. Do you remember the Vetere hardware store

Gtat44

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Vetere's and I used to go into Brock party store after playing ball all the time. We get an 8 pack of Mountain Dew and guzzle them all down right in front of the store. Bought my first Zing beer there. LOL. After they sold, we had to walk farther away to Moross Party Shoppe down by Kelly.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Hnewm, to the Forum! Did you live in this area, too?

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 721
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hnewm
Happy Easter. I'm somewhat new to the forum and try not to get into controversaries, as I am miles away. At your leisure, may I suggest, you visit some HOF (Hall of Fame Threads). Lot of 50's 60's, etc. are addressed there. Civic Center, Eastside jargon, and so on...happy huntin'

Kellyroad

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hnewm
Yes, I remember Vetere's located on the north side of seven mile between Hayes and Brock right across the street from Franks Nursery. It seemed every one on the far eastside bought skates there and got them sharpened there. Vetere's also sold the blue jackets and letters during the fad when everyone had their name on the back of the jacket (circa 1966-67).

Imhere

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetere's was the place we would buy our "street Hockey" sticks when I was growing up. They seemed to be the only place that sold the plastic blades to fit on the sticks.

Caldogven

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad

I used to work for Frank Stanko at Houston Collision years ago. I remember when one of the daughters died. I think they had 6-7 children.
As far as I know he still lives on Eastburn.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody out there have slotracing stories? Remember the number of slotracing emporiums that seem to have sprung up overnight on Kelly, Morang, Houston-Whittier, in St. Clair shores etc?....a huge craze that only lasted 2-3 years. It seemed every young boy had a tackle box full of slotcars, motors, decals, controllers, tools. etc.

Pgn421

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kellyroad! i used to go to the slot car track @ Seymour and Gratiot.Do you remember that place? I got my motor rewound, took it for a lap on the track. It went thru the plate glass window, and ended up on Gratiot! How about 3 D`s on Whittier?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421,
Your car must have been powerful and fast to go thru a plate glass window or the track wasn't banked properly (LOL)
I remember Remers and the Ramona on Seymour and Gratiot but not the slot car track, Although I do remember the one on Whittier (I think I was in there once)...spent more time in the one on Kelly about 5 blocks north (east) of Moross. There also was a huge place on Harper in St. Clair Shores with 4 tracks.

Pgn421

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kellyroad- the track at 6 and gratiot was banked and the straightaway went towards the front of the building. Thats where my car went straight up the bank and out the front window. I was banned from that track.The guy wanted me to pay for the window. It was huge. I was only 15 years old.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421,
I can picture it now..a 15 yr kid who can't control his slotcar and deliberately breaks a window. Lucky the police didn't escort you off the premise in cuffs (or did they?) LOL. That was one heck of a car. Do you remember the model?

Pgn421

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, i cant i had the armature rewound.Man that car would fly.

Scotty00
Username: Scotty00

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat44...I would like to talk to you about Chris Mazzola. Please email me at srybicki01@comcast.net.

Thanks,
Scott

Scotty00
Username: Scotty00

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad - I would like to chat with you about Chris Mazzola. Please email me at srybicki01@comcast.net.

Thanks,
Scott

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of memories on this thread...we lived on Fordham a couple of blocks east of Chalmers...I played hockey at the Heilmann rink...I remember the missile defense site at the park...my sister taught at Marquette, Corine McDonald...I went to Columbus and then Denby (Jan.'59). I found the attached picture in some old files recently...she was my prom date but for the life of me I can't recall her name...can anyone name her?
January '59 Prom

Gtat44

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give me a few days, what is your name? I'll ask my mom Suzanne Weber, she's pretty good with those kinds of things. Like remembering who went with whom, where. She is odd that way.

E-mail Gtat44@aol.com

Goblue

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gtat44...I'm Gene Thompson...I had only been dating her for a few weeks before my prom...I think she was in the class of '61...we dated for a few weeks after the prom and then I went to Kalamazoo to attend WMU and we lost contact...it bugs me that I can't remember her name. E-mail ew310@cableone.net

Goblue

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat44...just looked your mom's pic up in my '59 yearbook...I recognize her...I know that we ran in the same circles...Sharon Tuschak, Barbara Weaver, Sandy Reynolds...those names pop out as people she might have socialized with...can't quite place her but I know that I knew her back then...small world!