Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Sale of GAR Building Delayed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070103/NEW S99/70103058

"Kenneth Cockrel Jr. postponed action. Instead, he asked city planners for more information to support a sale price of $220,500.

“I was just concerned about the purchase price. I just want to make sure the city is getting all it can,” Cockrel said. “I just needed to get an opportunity to see that information.”

From the Freep/JOHN GALLAGHER

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few questions to the ever-so-knowledgable folks on the forum concerning this issue...

1. While it appears that Ilitch Holdings / Olympia Development(no surprise)will inevitably own the GAR Building - and have cited their intentions to renovate and use as office space - is there still anything within the historical register / designation preventing them from reneging? Is the building safeguarded in any way from a demolition standpoint?

2. Is it true also that Ilitch Holdings / Little Caesar's will also be renovating / populating the Michigan Mutual Building? Does the GAR deal change this?

Thanks for your wisdom...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Kenneth Cockrel Jr. postponed action. Instead, he asked city planners for more information to support a sale price of $220,500.

as well he should, there is no way that building could fetch so little money on the open market. is there?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would you focus on pennies in the whole grand scheme of the city budget? Not to mention that this building will bring people downtown, create jobs and tax revenue. There is much more to focus on this a few thousand dollars. Common council needs to get their priorities straight.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 705
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would agree, a good due diligence request by KCJr.
Don't know if anyone up in here had an opportunity to read the RFP, but I would wonder did it request just development and use plan for the building, or also a price offer along w/ development plans. If so, it would be interesting to see how the Olympia proposal stacked up against the others, and whether this is just another sweetheart deal for Illitch.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7323
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulc, earlier this year the City entered into a consent agreement regarding the GAR. In the agreement, the City has to require any developer to take certain steps to maintain the historic integrity of the building. If they don't, then the good news is that the building would revert back to the City. The bad news is that the building would revert back to the City.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a setup deal, gift wrapped and hand delivered.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't it take more than one city council member of the nine to postpone the action?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any historical designations don't prevent the building from being demolished, rather as eluded to, the RFP required that in order to receive ownership of the building there must be a development plan included.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Itsjeff and Charlottepaul for the info. So in essence - Ilitch and Co. may receive a "kiss-me" deal for the building and could still potentially tear it down? I'm thinking in terms of Ilitch continuing his land grab for a "presumed" stadium site...

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4998
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad he's doing this. In a city with an eroding tax base and shrinking population every last penny counts. Just as it's the obligation of a developer to get the best bang for his/her buck, it is just as much the obligation of a city to its citizens to get the best deal possible. I don't mind Cockrel holding this one up, temporarily, one bit.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given the extensive renovations needed on the GAR as well as the limited site and limited uses available for the building, $250k actually seems like a reasonable offer.

And the city did do their due dilligence through an RFP. So Illitch was the one they picked. Big deal, who cares. They're rehabing a long shuttered but valuable piece of Detroit history. Hopefully this will lead to more and more redevelopment efforts on Illitch's part rather than land speculator as much of his current holdings are regarded.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3407
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, we've gone thru this before, but apparently it bears repeating. The fewer than 12 or so parking spaces that a demoed GAR would get is not worth the $220,000 price.

The land the GAR sits on CANNOT be part of another complex because it is surrounded by Grand River Ave., Cass Ave., and Adams Ave. None of these 3 streets can be closed so that this tiny parcel of land can be added to another larger project.

And why is that.... 1) Grand River Ave is one Detroit's major radiating arteries. 2) Cass Ave is the major western connector between Downtown and Midtown. 3) Adams Ave. is one of the major arteries of the Entertainment (Stadia/Theatre) district.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5001
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you explaining this, again?

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A local historic district designation protects contributing resources from being razed. This deal isn't much different than the Rackham deal where a developer picks his properties and names his price.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were several bidders, apparently. Cash was only one consideration, the development committment being the other. Didn't Cockrell compare Ilitch's bid to the others? With the restrictions that burden the building, I'm surprised anybody bid for it. That's not the kind of real estate where comps can justify an appraisal.

Having tried to buy the building years ago and inspected it thoroughly, I think Ilitch is overpaying.

Cockrell's showboating...standing up to the man. (And, I like Cockrell and financially supported him. Nothing personal.)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7337
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you wonder if Ilitch bid on it just to piss you off, since you predicted in another thread that the RFP would garner no takers at all?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3418
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan... I explained it again because some folks (maybe some newbies) still think it will end up as part of an arena footprint.

Now that's not to say that it couldn't end up as a "decorative sidewalk"... but even that's not likely.

(Message edited by Gistok on January 10, 2007)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Council asks for more time on sale of GAR Building

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070110/BUS INESS/70110034

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had been avoiding this thread, but after reading through it, I must ask one question:

Itsjeff, why do you stalk 3rdworldcity so?

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 879
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GAR building would be a fitting HQ for the Ilitches. Surrounded by parking lots.

But really, they don't deserve such a cool building. The assembly room would make a cool live music venue -- but they will likely gut it for cubicles.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know how much additional time was requested by City Council before this can move forward?

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if Olympia Entertainment goes down...

does detroit go down with it..

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5064
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol!

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, the City is going to play slumlord now? Haven't they had years and years to figure out what that has done to the city. The GAR, otherwise is a difficult building to redevelop. Why prolong this?

You don't buy a plasma TV from Walmart for super cheap and then get to the checkout counter, show your West Bloomfield ID, only to have the cashier say, "surely you can afford to pay more for this TV. We're going to try to sell it to you for more money."

As far as I'm concerned, the city administered a formal process in which its goal was to sell this special building with the intent to have it redeveloped very soon. So, why all of a sudden do they have to go into the corruption cabinet and pull out a stink bomb? By doing so, they're going to end up putting the GAR file with all the others in the "50 needless years to redevelop" cabinet.

Upping the price was not part of this deal. Sure, they could probably get more for the GAR, but to me, that's irrelevant after they sealed the deal. It's poor leadership and poor business ethic that has the ability to turn away developers in the future if the city creates a backstabbing reputation like this.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 494
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, it's a great-looking building with some history, but there's a reason the building has been vacant for THREE DECADES people...relatively speaking, the area where it sits is far less desireable for commerce than several other locations in Detroit and the suburbs...

it's possible that someone may be willing to outbid Illich for the building, but then what will they do with? Just leave it vacant for another three decades? Olympia is going to inject millions of dollars into the place and set up shop there...

I've never understood all the anti-Illich feelings I read here considering that he's done far more to develop Detroit in recent years than anyone, including all of you..

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 428
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit City Council. One of the main reasons I chose my member name on this forum.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this still stalled?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 558
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delays: its how things get done in Detroit!

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fantasy is that the GAR Building should be used to serve Detroit's veterans. It was built in honor of our Civil War veterans and ideally it should belong to our veterans now.

I don't like the idea of homeless, disenfranchised veterans...actually it makes me sick. When you think of all the amenities it had/has it would be a wonderful resource for them. If I had Madonna's money....I'd buy it and renovate it myself, and give it to the veterans at a big tax write-off. Better than actually paying taxes.

OK, I'm done dreaming, now.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. At least you have an imagination.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 499
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if Olympia Entertainment goes down...

does detroit go down with it..

Sadly, yes. As much as I despise Ilitch, there aren't many millionaires in the area who'd step in.
It's a tough love.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3700
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

quote:

as well he should, there is no way that building could fetch so little money on the open market. is there?

Actually, with its location, lack of parking, poor physical condition, awkward floor plates chopped up by a huge open stair case and use restraints, that number actually seems a bit high.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close Adams St between GR and Cass, then all of a sudden,that 220K becomes 2M. Its not like this has not happened before. ie. Columbia at Woodward.
What Illich wants Illich gets. (Madison Lenox)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really dont think the price is the real issue at all, its the process of selecting who got to buy it.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 579
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree w/ Skulker again. See my post # 399 (1/5) above.

Oh, I just saw Itsjeff's (RIP) post # 7337 above. I made no such prediction. Dabirch, just saw your post above. Good question re: Itsjeff. Thanks.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3701
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who the hell are you and what did you do with 3WC?

Lowell: please investigate this fraud that keeps agreeing with me.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I remember of the GAR building, it's on a crappy triangle shaped piece of property. I saw it a couple weeks ago on the P-Mover.

The building is worth more than the land. Which isn't saying much.

I agree with Eastsidedame, fix it, make it handicap accessible (federal funds?), and give it to the VFW/Salvation Army... whatever.

James

Urbanize

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be a beautifal spot for a VFV headquarters hall though in SE Michigan.

Urbanize

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"2. Is it true also that Ilitch Holdings / Little Caesar's will also be renovating / populating the Michigan Mutual Building? Does the GAR deal change this?"

I only know for sure that Ilitch plans to expand and grow the Little Caesars chain.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least they're not going to be "wrapping the distinctive exterior of the building in advertising banners."

It sold to the Ilitchs for the minimum price of $220,500 with approval of City Council today. I hear they are planning to invest $2 million in renovations as their HQ, per a judicial order, an easement must insure that the cornerstone and mosaic lobby floor with G.A.R. motif, will be kept and restored.

City planner Alexander Pollack said the building sits "on the edge of the entertainment district. (The area) is about to blossom."

The best of luck to all concerned. Do it up right.

GAR City of Detroit

(City of Detroit photo)

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: