Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » West Siders of the forum.... « Previous Next »
West Siders of the forum - 2Vetalalumni130 05-25-07  11:46 pm
West Siders of the forum - 1Vetalalumni123 05-25-07  6:35 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5064
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the status of Brennan Pools at Rouge Park? Haven't been over there in yrs.

jjaba.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Cody grads remember Flip's at Plymouth and Burt? Popular in the '50's, and was apparently a hang out as well. My Grandparents owned it, and my Mom and Aunts worked there as well.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5083
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is from Northlawn and Schoolcraft, not in Cody district. jjaba went to Cass Tech., his brother to MacKenzie HS.
But jjaba worked at Brennen Pools two summers in early 1960s. Ran the cleanest locker room in City of Detroit.

jjaba, Westsider.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Westside- how many here played on baseball leagues growing up? What leagues & years did anyone play? There plenty of youth organizations at one time.
I played 2 years at Butzel Park 1966 & 67 in the old Butzel Baseball Associaton. In 1968 I played in the West 7 kids league as a 12 year old.Just a couple of places I played in the past.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom and I were talking about Livernois the other day (we hate the new islands in the middle of the street) we couldn't remember the name of the pontiac dealership before it was Porterfield Wilson. To jog your memories it was located between 6 and 7 mile or to be more exact between Margareta and Clarita. Does anyone remember this dealership?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Westside - how many here played on baseball leagues growing up?

I played in a league at O'Shea Park on Rutherford & Capitol in the late 60's.

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto for me, "O'Shea All Stars", I was on the "Cards" team. I'm guessing around 63-64 ?
I must admit that I was the kid in right field who paid more attention to the clouds than what was happening on the field, much to the chagrin of the coach.

Quozl

Post Number: 369
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on the "Orioles" a few years (63-66) then I was on the "SOX". I too was a daydreamer out in left field or playing 3rd base when my Uncle was the manager of our team.

I busted my butt (with Dads help) to sell loads of those "Heath Bar" candies so I could get a blue "O'Shea" Jacket.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All summer we played softball at Kelley Playground, aka "Oakfield" located at Puritan and Oakfield. Our "park instructor" Dave McW was at that park for years and genuinelly cared about us. He must have fielded 4-5 teams through the years that won various class (A-E) championships. The west side championships were usually played at O'Shea.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winstin-
I too played softball in the summer rec leagues- for Burt School we won our age group in 1970
( Class C ) & 1971 ( Class B ).
My teams at Butzel: 1966 The Rockets 1967 The Jets. For West 7 Gold Craft Printers ( we won the league championship ) Our All Star team won 2 tournaments the 1968 Barney McCosky & Allen Park Invitationals.
Besides softball at the schools Butzel Park & later at Stoepel # 1 The Parks & Rec had morning baseball leagues for ages 9 thru 16. Kids would put together their own teams & play. The park would supply bats,balls & a set of catcher's equipment to share during the game and maybe 1-2 helmets. There were standings and league championships. It was pretty decent ball too. Most of the kids also played on other organized teams so the competition was good. When I was at Redford high our coach had a bunch of freshmen & sophomore form a team together to play and get in extra games ( no JV Baseball then ).
At Stoepel one year there was a good team the 15-16 year old league called " Barney's Bombers" one guy was a fellow named Bob Owchinko- he was an All City Pitcher for Cody & later pitched some in the majors- He could throw!!!!

Keoki96701
Username: Keoki96701

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the baseball games in the fields next to the grocery store & Deiter's Sweetshop.... on Intervale Cherrylawn and Northlawn. I can't remember the name of the grocery store before it was Paul's Market. Anyone in that neighborhood remember "Sucide Hill"?

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone in that neighborhood remember "Suicide Hill"?"

If you are talking about the one behind the Wolverine Tube Co. Parking lot, beside the Tracks? I spent a lot of Happy times there either on Bikes or Sleds. I lived across the tracks on Central.

But our Baseball games were in a Gravel parking lot of the "Packing House" (Slaughter House) that was on the Block surrounded by the Tracks,Springwells,and Glennan st. that last 30 yrs or so it has been the now Vacant "Wendys" on Springwells

Jjaba

Post Number: 5119
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba was on the corner of Intervale and Northlawn every summer morning for yrs., 1948-55.
Mom would bring out lemonades for us. It was a great lot to play baseball for kids. If you broke out a window, you were in for a licking from your dad. If you hit the ball on the roof of the stores, the game ended until you dragged your ass up there and found it.

Belians Store was the grocer there. Mom got our meats from him and sometimes he winked at the need for Ration Stamps. jjaba still has our family War Ration Books. Deiters was the sweetshop. There was a cleaners. Apartments were above each store.

jjaba thinks he saw Belians a time back way out beyond Livonia somewheres. Does anybody know that name?

jjaba lived between Schoolcraft and Intervale on Northlawn, 1941-1961. After we sold this two-flat, it has been owned by the same family since. Infact, one of their boys attended Cass Tech. Printing program like jjaba. Amazing.

jjaba, Westsider.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we have two different Suicide Hill's here, My "Suicide Hill" was 1/2 block from Wilson Jr High. The other Hill we would ride to but not be as brave on was "Cadillac Hill". It was also off of Central but up past Dix at the old RR yard.

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59's little sis here - new to the boards. I do remember Suicide Hill, but did go there nearly as much as my brother! Do remember sledding there a time or two, but mostly sledding from our side of the tracks on Central.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally someone from my street lol

Welcome

Jjaba

Post Number: 5124
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtctygrl, welcome to Forum. Good to have more Westsiders.

jjaba, old timey Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carolcb - was the 'hippie clothing store' in West Dearborn that you were asking about named the Happy Apple? South side of Mich. Ave., just west of Monroe...

Oakland9
Username: Oakland9

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Played pickup baseball every summer day early '60's at UaD baseball fields. (yeah it was just the University of Detroit then and we called it "u a d") We rode down to the campus from Linwood/Princeton/Lawton with gloves slipped over handlbars and climbed over the chain link fence and played ball all afternoon; worked up a sweat and quenched our thirst at Muirland Drug soda fountain with a cherry coke.
And...I still play ball. Baseball that is. Started a game last Sunday. Pitched three innings. Opponent's starter was Bill "Spaceman" Lee. Sunofagun can still pitch a hell of a game. Held us to 2 hits in six innnings. Still has that friggin' "leephus" pitch, a deadly slider, and a passable fastball. Must say I was so tense facing him that I choked a bit and could not for the life of me throw him a strike. Wish Abby was around to help me out.

Keoki96701

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our Suicide Hill was located between Intervale & Lyndon off of Cloverdale, next to the RR tracks. I remember how scared I was riding my bike on the hills. I wonder if the Belians or Paul's or Mary's old market is still standing? I bet Mr. Milton's family still lives on the corner of Cherrylawn & Intervale.

What was the name of the Dimestore on Wyoming & Schoolcraft? Anyone have any old photos of that area?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, is it true that toilets swirl counterclockwise on your side of town? I did marry a West Side girl (Bentler St.) so does that make our kids multi-sided? Just wondering. - Bullet

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59,

I rode the same hills, did you go to Wilson?

Did you ever ride up on Dix by the stock yard?

Ever get chased by the RR cops?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5155
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, you are our kind of man. Marry a Westside gal and have the real lifetime happiness.

The Westside of the Detroit Equator does affect the culture but not the physics of the toilet.
Now Quito, Ecaudor, that's another story.

Keoki, welcome to Forum. jjaba and you are neighbors. jjaba grew up on Northlawn between Schoolcraft and Intervale. Rode the Northlawn bus all the time to Grand River and Oakman. We went to Noble School, and you?

All of the stores on Intervale and Northlawn are shuttered today. The houses are perfectly intact. No boardups. Many of the current families bought in the 1960s and still live there. The Noble School website from the DPS proudly proclaims that these families are very stable. My house was purchased in 1961 and the fine Tenn. family lives there. We moved out and up to Sussex and W. Seven Mile Rd. to a "single" brick home. The Northlawn block is 100% two-flats.

The Northlawn house had a mortagage of $55 a month in 1941. We rented downstairs for $52.50, giving them heat and water. jjaba's father would complain about finding the $2.50 to live there. We burned the mortgage in 1948.

jjaba.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Island - No, I think it was the same company that also had one @ Wonderland - I think it was the last block before you turn on Oakwood - so west of Oakwood on the south side of the street. If that is where you are talking about, let me know that I have lost my mind - but I do not remember that name at all. Thanks for the question -

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt,
Yes, Yes, and Yes !
My last year at Wilson was 74-75.

We rode our Bikes everywhere, we would ride to Greenfield Village or over the Ambassador and ride for miles into Canada. all in the time span of two swim periods at Patton Park.
and of course all points in between.

No one really knew where we would end up when we took off on a nice summer day.
No Cell phone's back in the day for keeping Parents in the Know. if we had trouble, we always had an Emergency "Dime" in the Pocket.

As far as RR Cops, that was always a concern when we were at Suicide Hill, they would come through there all the time and we all heard the stories of the Dreaded "Rock Salt" they would shoot at you.

Remember the Carnival that would set up by the stockyards, to me as a youngster that was way better then the State Fair !

Good times,those Childhood days in the "D"

Keoki96701

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey jjaba!! We moved into the first house on Cherrylawn, west side of street next to ally. We lived there from 1956 to 1973. I think it was burned down in the early 90's. Jjaba do you still keep in touch with any people down there... I mean up there? If anyone has a picture of the stores on Intervale.... I would realy like to see them.

1st_sgt

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59

I do remember the carnival, but I liked the State Fair more.
Our area was a great place for a kid to grow up.

I swam and played ball at Patton Park, did you ever fish or skate on the pond?
Did you ever bowl at Beacon?

I graduated from Wilson in 1970 and my sister one year behind me.
I and my Sister attended Western HS

My cousin Steve was there during your time. Steve went to South Western.
My oldest Son attended South Western for one year 1992-3 while staying with my parents while I was on duty in Korea.

At Wilson I remember we attended class in the basement in a room right inside the Home Economics room. You had to go through the cooking class to get in and out.
I wrote for the school paper the Echo. Was it still alive during your time?

My home room was the auditorium; I had the Band Director for Home Room. Mr. Pruitt.
Mr. Valasco was my Counselor.

I’m glad to be able talk with someone from the old neighborhood. I’ve been away along time.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st Sgt....Ben Pruitt, your band director at Wilson, is still around. He went from Wilson to Henry Ford to Cass Tech and is now Music Supervisor for Detroit Public Schools. His band, Ben and Friends, plays at Baker's every so often

1st_sgt

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories
Thanks for the info.

I think He would remember me. He kept me in line.
My Mom had many meetings with him because of me. lol.

I think he is a great man and teacher.

If he were to read this I would like to say "Thanks Mr. Pruitt from a grateful student.
You helped me turn out ok."

Jjaba

Post Number: 5207
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keoki. No, jjaba doesn't know what happened to his Northlawn neighbors. Did Keoki shop on Intervale and Northlawn? Did Keoki ever join us playing baseball on summer mornings at Northlawn and Intervale lot? Did Keoki ever play at Intervale Park?

jjaba, on the Northlawn bus to Oakman-Grand River, change there in front of Federal's on the electric feeder bus.

jjaba, Westsider.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to play hockey on the small pond at Patton Park and didn't quit until the ice started to crack and water seeped up!! I was in a league at Beacon Bowl in the 60's and still have all my trophys to prove it. Great times, great neighborhood!! How about playing strikeout against the wall at Patton Pool building???

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt
I remember that classroom behind the Home Economics room. We had Sex Ed there.

My Homeroom class for all three years there was with Mrs Swint (the music teacher in room 206) and absolutely the Best looking Black woman I've ever known !. And from what I see at Classmates, she is still there.
75 was the last year I was there before we moved to Tenn due to my Dad's job leaving Mich. He worked at Wolverine Tube until it closed in 74.
Wolverine Tube was the Plant at the back of Wilson.

The "Echo" was still going, in fact I still have some put away somewhere here.

I may be off by a year but I think my Best Friends Brother was in your class, Do you recall a Robert (Bobby) Beard or a George Prater ? Both were best pals and about 3-6 years ahead of me.
At the time Bobby lived in the house next to the service drive on Glinnan right behind the Mobil station on Springwells.
Its a small world, When his Parents retired, He and his Parents Moved down here to Tenn about 20 mi from me, although his brother (my Friend) still lives close to Detroit. In Fact, I know 3 other Families that live Here that I also knew there, and 1 other person here That also lived there That I didn't know at the time.
Tenn has a lot of Detroiters here, Going to a Hockey game against anyone else we all wear Pred Colors, But when the Wings come here, most of us are in Red ! and it Feels so Good !

Dtctygrl

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never made it to Wilson Jr. High because we moved the year before I would have gone there. Although I'm proud of my years at Beard Elementary. Lots of great memories! Still keep in touch with Mrs. Moreland, the former librarian at Beard. My world was smaller than Ragtoplover59's since I was younger. I did log many miles on my bike up and down Central, Solvay, Wheelock and trips to the Pop Store. As for the hockey: Could I be a Preds fan - Absolutely! Could I be a Preds fan over the Wings - NEVER! Such is living the life of a southern yankee.

1st_sgt

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my daughter was little (10 or 11 years old) I promised her I would take her to a Red Wings game when she turned 21. (Not thinking she would remember and hold me to it). Well, last year at 21 she called me on my promise. (Thinking she would get a plane trip with me to Detroit).
When she came home for Winter break I carried her to a Red Wings game in Dallas. (About a 6 hour drive round trip).

There were more Red shirts then Green shirts, at least three to one (and I was worried about wearing a Red Wings Hat. lol.)
We had a great time.
We saw some great hockey. (Detroit won of course)
Met a lot of Michiganders.
Paid way too much for the tickets.
But it was well worth it, I kept my promise, something she will never forget.

Just call me a Life long Wings fan.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt?

You are a Life long Wings fan

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason today I was thinking of the Swim- Mobile. I remember it parking on the side street beside Wilson. We would climb the fence and sit there watching the other kids splashing around in that thing. Thanks to the Patton Park Pool, I never had the same desire to get in the truck pool.

1st_sgt
What was your cousins last name?

Rickinatlanta
What years were you in the area?

We would also go to Patton to play Tennis, I recall one year the courts were painted and had new nets installed. Now on Google Earth I don't see them where they were, I do however see some by the Pool that I don't remember being there. I remember some out in the area of the Soccer Fields.

I also noticed that in some map views, The Ford Water Tank has been taken down. always thought that was a good neighborhood landmark

1st_sgt

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59
Nicolai They lived over on Honorah.
I lived on Lane.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt-

My mother grew up on Honorah. I guess the world is a very, very small place indeed!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt
I don't recall that name, it's been a long time.

But I sure knew your street, we would ride our bikes through all the alleys as quick shortcuts to wherever we were going, Paved Alleys were so cool to us. On our side of the Tracks all we had was gravel.
I lived a couple of houses from the tracks on Central.
I went to Beard School on Waterman, they now have a new Beard school real close to your old house, It's between Green and Beard st and bordered by the tracks.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover-

They tore the water tower down about 10 years or so ago, maybe 15. The tennis courts you mention were relocated when they did a restoration of the park in the late 80's, I believe. Grandpa lived on Pitt and Inglass, adjacent to the back end of the park(I believe by Lonyo?)I swam at the pool in Patton Park almost every Saturday in the 60's!

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess I lived at the wrong end of Patton!!! Seems like all the fun was south of us.

1st_sgt

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres,

I spent almost everyday from 1966-1973 on Honorah. Both of my parents worked so we stayed with my Grandma who live up stairs to my Aunt after school and when school was out. I've hit many rubber balls over the fence at Harms play ground. We played army all over the neighborhood and in the field behind and next to the muffler shop on Vernor. Sat in front of Helen's store for the 4th of July parade every year that I didn’t march in it.

It was a nice neighborhood to grow up in.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They tore the water tower down about 10 years or so ago, maybe 15."

Wow, I wish they would update G-Earth and Windows Live.
In Windows Live overhead it is still there and then when I went to Birds Eye View it was gone!

Plymouthres, Thanks for that info!

Plymouthres

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover-

No problem. I'm glad to have helped out!

1st_sgt-

Harms, Beard all these names I've heard before, but long, long ago. Dad grew up in Delray on Solvay and with mom on Honorah, I think I've heard of all points around and in between at one time or another! All this is a great education for me, as mom died in 2005 from Alzheimer's and dad left us in '87. No one else I know speaks of these areas anymore, so this is really a cool thread for me. I am thankful to all who have had input here!

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59 - I lived in four different homes in the old neighborhood from 1958 to 1970. My Dad grew up in a house on Senator in the 1910 - 1925 period. I know that now due to finding a great geneology site that has online access to the 1900, 1910, 1920, & 1930 Michigan Census. Found my Grandfather and future Step-Grandfather's WWI draft registration cards as well.

You mentioned the tennis courts at Patton. That fence was a homerun if cleared when playing strikeout against the wall of Patton Pool facing the courts.

Anybody remember K-Andy's as that's where Dad & Mom used to "hang out" and play cards with old friends.

Nwkid
Username: Nwkid

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived by Freeland and 6 mile until '62. Family moved to Grandmont and Grand River and lived there until 1976.

I was just back in the old neighborhood last week, visiting family in the Detroit area. Drove around the Grandmont/St. Mary's subdivisions for a bit and then went east bound on Grand River to Prairie just past Oakman. Very sad to see what has become of the city. I have lots of great and vivid memories of the neighborhoods between Lasher and Schaefer/ Fullerton and McNichols.

Funny, I've been on the West Coast for over 30 years where there are large Asian communities and I can't seem to find an egg roll as good as those served at the Rice Bowl (Grand River and Mettetal) and the China Clipper (Grand River and Lasher) since leaving detroit in 1976.

I washed dishes at the China Clipper as a teenager. Had both Detroit News and Detroit Free Press paper routes too. I worked for Jack Downey at his Shell gas station on Fenkell and Penrod behind the McDonalds on Grand River. He was a great guy and always willing to hire the local teenagers. Always threatened us that he was going to go "self serve like they do down south" if we didn't clean the place up, check customer's oil and wash their windows.

Quozl

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Nwkid, I lived at Archdale and Davison (56-74).

Nwkid

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl - I've seen your posts on these forums the last couple of days (I'm new to DetroitYES) and we share a lot of the same history... likely the same acquaintances.

Quozl

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nwkid, I think we may.

My Uncle Vincent lived at the corner of Grandmont and Lyndon from 1962 until 1980. All his kids attended St Mary's. My Uncle Jim practiced Medicine at the Gariepy Clinic on Grand River and Asbury Park until 1978. I was also related to the Gariepy's.

My Dad bought gas at that Shell Station all the time, he also told us if we did not behave and go to college we would end up pumping gas like the guys filling up the car/truck.

I delivered Route 35 Detroit News from 68-72 out of the Mansfield/Schoolcraft Station. The Station Manager was some red faced drunk named Mr. Anderson.

Nwkid

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to school with the Gariepy's, Mary (I think that was her name) was in my class. They lived on the corner of Woodmont and Lyndon. I delivered their newspaper for awhile, always paid on time. I think they moved out of the Detroit area in about 1969-1970. I played grade school football and all the kids used to get their physical at the Gariepy Clinic on Grand River, across the street from Perks Party store. I picked up the Detroit News at the Mansfield/Schoolcraft station too. I recall the hobby shop nearby with the big slot car track, pretty close to Bashur's Drug Store on Schoolcraft. Pretty convenient location for all the kids to spend their news paper collection money.

The service station was a good high school job. God Bless Fat Jack Downey the owner. Learned a bit about mechanics and general auto maintenance.

You lived pretty close to Devils Hills, the empty lot off of Southfield where we used to ride our bikes. I knew quite a few people that lived in your neighborhood. A lot of Queen of Hope kids that eventually migrated to SMR for highschool.

Quozl

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out my posts in thread #1 of this thread. You will see my old house, Queen of Hope and the old clinic, etc.

Mary (Margaret) was indeed a cuz (twice removed) as was her brothers. They moved to Bloomfield Hills in 1970. I think she went to Mercy High.

Hung out at Devil's Hill all the time and messing with tractors on Fullerton coming out of the Massey-Ferguson Plant on the other side of Southfield. I went to SMR for a short time, Cooley and Benedictine too. Queen of Hope was my Grade School as was Dossin for a little bit.

My Mom grew up on Mettetal and Chalfonte, my Dad grew up on Terry and Grand River and both attended SMR.

Keoki96701

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Edds house on 14089 Cherrylawn, next to the alley. Hey jjaba, do you remember a family of redheads on Cherrylawn. My sister Penny was a popular girl back then. If she were still alive she would have been 58 years old.
We played kickball on the Cherrylawn side. Yes we use to ride out bikes down to the Intervale Park. I tried to upload a picture of our old house....but can not???
Oh meant to tell you the Northlawn bus turned off of Intervale on Cloverlawn not Greenlawn when we lived there. We took it all the way up and let us off between Cunninghams and Robert Halls. on Oakman.

Does anyone have old phots of the stores on Intervale or Schoolcraft & Wyoming?

Fol45
Username: Fol45

Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, whats the deal with going to all the different schools? I Probably played baseball with you or against you with O'Shea, I can't remember what teams I played for but played for O'Shea for several years

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fol45, do you know what years you played ? Where did you live ?

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt,
I was just thinking, We may have shared some other streets later in life.
I live about 15 miles from the Home of the 101st Airborn
ever been stationed there?

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a good friend while I was going to Wayne State who lived on Grandmont just a block or so south of Grand River. Their last name was Kahaian. They had 3 kids who would all be in their 50's now. They lived there until at least 1985. Then I don't know what became of them.

I also had a great-aunt and uncle who lived on Sussex near 6 mile. The great aunt died in 1964 and the great uncle died about 1975. Before buying the house on Sussex in the 1950's they lived on Pearl St. near Woodmere Cemetery for many years. My mother also lived on Pearl St. in the 1930's, then she moved to western Michigan for a short time, then back to the east side for a couple of years, then she lived on 24th St. near Bagley (1426 24th I believe was the last address) in the 1940's and early 1950's before moving to Wyandotte in 1952.

My mother was born at 601 Dragoon in 1918. Her grandfather (my great grandfather) owned the house.

Quozl

Post Number: 430
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Quozl, whats the deal with going to all the different schools?

By the time I was in 10th grade I reached the point in my life that I was totally fed up with a parochial school education and all the crap associated with it. My grades were excellent though my behavior was intentionally unacceptable. I loathed Nuns and having a religion I did not honestly believe in shoved down my throat. My Dad would threaten me that as long as I lived in their house, I was going to get a Catholic education. He later ate those words after I got expelled from SMR and completed 11th grade at Cooley High. Three days before I was going to start 12th grade at Cooley, my Mom informed me that I was going to live with my Aunt in Livonia and attend Bentley High because they felt it was a safer school. I spent my weekends back on Archdale with my family.

I left Detroit on June 28th, 1974 for Great Lakes, Illinois and ended up serving in the US NAVY Reserve with 6 years active duty and 16 years in the Active Reserve. I transferred to the Fleet Reserve in 1996 as a Commander in the Medical Service Corps.

1st_sgt

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59
No, the closest I've gotten was at Ft. Knox for BCT. Then I went to Ft. Gordon for AIT and permanent party.

I was always in Corps and Division Signal units.
I was attached from Ft Hood to the 18th Airborne Corp’s 35th Sig. Bde during Desert Storm.

I have visited some places like Ft. Brag for meetings, but not Ft. Campbell yet.

I did support the 101st for an Empire Glacier exercise at Ft. Drum during the blizzards of 1977-78.

I know a lot of SF folks from them having a signal MOS. They were in the Signal Branch before SF got their own branch.

I even had some SF in my ANCOC class, (they smoked the map reading course and the PT test) two of them were on active ops.

But we all are still “Brothers in Uniform” as we speak the same language, ate the same food and shared the same hardships.

And to all, Thanks for your service.

Sorry to everyone else, as you might not understand it all, and that it is a mite off topic.

(Message edited by 1st_sgt on April 13, 2007)

Nwkid

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmr:
I knew the Kahaians, Kim and Rose. They lived across the street on the corner of Grandmont and Midfield. Rose worked at a little luncheonette on Rutland just south of Grand River for awhile. Just behind the dry cleaners.
Quozl, you sound a lot like me and my wife, we both went to SMR and couldn't wait to get out. We both graduated there though. We lived in the same neighborhood growing up but did not marry until 7 years ago.

I enlisted in the USN myself, but not until after kicking around for a couple of years in Detroit and hitchhiking to California and Oregon a few times. Went to Great Lakes in August 1976. Left military service in 1980 and then sailed merchant mariner for 7 years up and down the West Coast of North, South and Latin America. From Alaska to Peru. Those were some days. Summers in Alaska and falls and winters in SoCal, Hawaii or points south. Interesting work if you can get it.

Ptpelee
Username: Ptpelee

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First time on the forum, but this is as good a place to start. I grew up on Coyle between Puritan and Six Mile. Our street ran into Sinai hospital,and on many School mornings you could hear Catholic Central's band practicing outside. We had great neighbor's, My parents still stay in touch with them after 30 years. There was a great playground at Coyle and Puritan, and if we were lucky our parents would take us to Petersen Park on Greenfield which was even better! My Mom shopped at the Wrigley's at Six an Schaffer, got our prescriptions at Merrill Drugs on Greenfield, and movies at the Mercury Theatre. The Mercury Theatres parking lot also doubled as our school playground, this was not the greatest as there was much broken glass. It was great place to grow up!

Quozl

Post Number: 452
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ptpelee, welcome to DetroitYes fellow west sider! You are correct, it certainly was a great place to grow up.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5232
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keoki, jjaba is at 14032 Northlawn. Rode the Northlawn bus to Noble, Tappan and Cass Tech., at Cunninghams, change for the Grand River electric feeders in front of Federal's. We really are neighbors.

jjaba sold Detroit Times bulldogs in back of Sears-Oakman off the parking lot. jjaba and brother had Detroit Times route for 8 yrs., 1953-1961. Ran papers out of Grand River-Washburn substation with Jim Beyers, Mgr.

No photos of Intervale but jjaba will get some.

nwkid, welcome to Forum. Try Lahser, not the way you pronounce it.

Cloverlawn, not Cloverdale.

jjaba, Westsider.

Kaywaldrep
Username: Kaywaldrep

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow....as I approach the big 40 I begin to get nostalgic for those long ago days in the big D.I have been back in Bama as well as other places for many years, but am a Detroit girl at heart. Moved to Fulton when I was 2 and then to Elsmere at 3yrs old till 9. Then to cabot until 13 then off to Wyandotte for a couple of years then my dad retired back to the South. I went to Wilson and also had Ms. Swint..who I agree was a lovely lady and if you were in her class you started off the year singing the impossible dream!

I had My Wayne Maciosczcyk for homeroom and Social Studies. He was awesome.I cannot remember the art teacher but loved him too. I had a wonderful counselor there...Barbara Hass,who was an amazing lady. I grew up playing at Patton and swimming there all the time...we also lived on Woodmere and could see the 4th of July fireworks from our balcony when we were too lazy to walk the couple of blocks down there. My last year at Wilson was 79.Some of my friends were Shannon Stogsdill..Tark Moussa, Louie Bustamonte...Chris Calvillo...Thomas Brock...Belinda Phillips. Richard Carson..Adam Storage.. Anyone else around from then? Reading this forum sure has brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my heart!

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of you old time west-siders remember the name of the hobby shop that was located on the north side of Joy Road between Fielding and Patton Streets?

(Message edited by Ramcharger on April 20, 2007)

Dtctygrl

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone go to Beard Elementary School on Waterman?

Dtctygrl

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59 - Where was Speedy's restaurant located? We used to go there in the early 70's. Does anyone else remember Speedy's?

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaywaldrep,
Welcome Home to the West side ! Wilson was a blast, Mrs Swint and Mr Rutecky (SP?) are the only names I can remember now, I do remember other teachers by looks, like the one that always seemed to wear a green dress with green nylons.
I wish I could recall names as well as you !
One day I'll dig out those old Echo's and post some pics of them. (the papers,not the people)

Dtctygrl,
I asked on another thread before about Speedys, No results then either. I am not sure if it was out W. Jefferson towards Ecorse or out Fort st toward Lincoln Park.
I now think it was just past the White Castle in Lincoln Park?

I also was hoping to recall the name and location of the AMC dealer that was out W.Jefferson and the Park that was nearby that put up the Elves at Christmas.

Lmr

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nwkid

Wow, amazing to find someone here who also knew the
Kahaians. I worked with Rose in the registration office at WSU when we were students there, that would be 1977-1981. Kim was married to a Canadian guy at the time and living in Windsor. They also had a brother (Nick?) who I think lived in Dearborn Heights.

Kaywaldrep
Username: Kaywaldrep

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome Ragtop...I enjoy reading your posts !

Dtctygrl

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about watching the 4th of July fireworks from the crosswalks over I-75? Anyone else remember being on a packed crosswalk and it swaying?

Lmr

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtop

That name Speedy's sounds really familiar. Somehow I'm placing it down near that Merchandise Mart place (with the big sign) on Fort St....but I could be off on that. I think my aunt and uncle used to mention Speedy's, they lived on Champaign in Allen Park and it wasn't too far.

I started taking the bus down Fort St. to go from Wyandotte to WSU in 1976 and I think Speedy's was gone by then? I can't remember that name then. So that would have been probably in the 1960's (and probably earlier) that it was there.

For the AMC dealer are you thinking of Great Lakes AMC/Rambler on W. Jefferson?

Lmr

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Lakes AMC
11032 W. Jefferson
River Rouge

There is a park across the street from that location
but the name of the park escapes me. I have no idea
what is at that location now.

Exwarrendaler
Username: Exwarrendaler

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Warrendalers out there?
I grew up on Artesian and Constance 65-85
Rode the Tireman bus to Cass Tech
Remember when George Matick was on Joy and Artesian. Went to St. Peter and Paul on Westwood.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the old Royal theater on 7 Mile? I seem to remember it as a large fancy place. I know it was closed and, I guess, turned into some kind of a warehouse years ago. There was, also, a theater at the corner of McNichols and Hamilton, but I don't remember it's name.
I spent my early years at 70 Highland in Highland Park and then we moved to Cambridge Road in Sherwood Forest in 1944. I went to Hampton elementary until 1948 and went out of state for high school. Does anyone remember the "temporary" building on the north side of the school property that housed the wood shop? I still have a bookcase that I built there as a student project.

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exwarrendaler,

I grew-up just north of Warrendale in Franklin Park on Grandville between Orangelawn and Elmira. We played baseball at Stein Field across from Cody High School. I remember when the new baseball fields, basketball, and tennis courts were built. I remember George Matick Chevy and the Manufacturers Bank on the corner of Artesian and Joy. I bought some of my first video games from Piedmont Electric on Joy Road. I didn't attend Cass Tech, I went to the "other place" Renaissance HS and rode the Chicago bus to the Greenfield bus. We used to enjoy Chicken at Church's on the corner of Greenfield and Chicago. The real treat was stopping at the Omega after basketball practice Coney Island and having an Omega Special or Bacon Cheeseburger and Chili Fries prepared in front of you on the grill. At that time, in the late seventies and the mid-eighties, the neighborhood was mixed and we all played together in peace. That's all for now, I have a plane to catch.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmr,
I think you do have the correct place in mind. Merchandise Mart was one of our favorite places to shop, I recall a fantastic Christmas light selection with the (new at the time) twinkle lights, Gone were our C-5 lights on our tree and two windows that we strung them in.
Loved those new-fangled lights at first, But many years later I went back to the big bulbs I loved so much as a kid !
Merchandise Mart was just past Speedys if I remember right.
Speedys wasn't a stand alone restaurant, It was located in a row of shops, and was the BEST Burger I have ever had ! A Favorite spot of ours between 1970-75 not that we would ever complain about a "Motts" or "White Castle" either.

Great Lakes AMC , wow, My Dad would go to car lots as a Hobby, Nothing was more Pleasurable to him then looking cars. When the Pacer was about to be introduced, It was in the showroom hidden from public view as a tease. Newspaper covered the inside of the showroom windows and I can still picture him trying to find a open seam so he could spy this new car after hours.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Swede.....looks like I'm no longer the oldest old fart on this board by two years! And I sure do remember the Royal, it was a regular check in the newspapers for me to see what was playing....also the Mercury up on Schaefer near Six Mile....or wherever it was......

Swede1934

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still trying to find out if anyone else remembers taking the Woodward streetcar out to 10 Mile to go to the zoo. The old car stop was visible at that intersection long after the tracks were torn up. It was finally destroyed when the 696 bridge was built.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the Woodward streetcar to 10 Mile was gone by 1950 because I used to ride my bike to the zoo around that time. It was 10 miles round trip on a little 22". I would have been glad to pay the 10 or 11 cents each way.

Swede1934

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Royal Oak extension of the Woodward line was bussed shortly after the PCC cars arrived in 1948. That bussing only lasted for a short time as it seems very few wanted to transfer from the streetcar at the state fair terminal to a bus waiting about a block away.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5303
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to The Forum to Swede 1934. Just from 14 posts, you sound like you know something about Detroit. Ray1935 will arrest you if he determines any violation of truth herein. He's caught jjaba a few times.

jjaba, Westside Detroit Times newsboy.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jjaba, is this your old 'hood?

Jjaba's 'hood--collecting for the times

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Westsiders! I'm new to the forum, but have been enjoying lurking for a while.
I grew up in the Rouge Park area, on Fielding between Joy and West Chicago. Went to McColl Elementary down the street. My brother went to Cody and Mackenzie.
Does anybody remember the lunch counter at Woolworth's on Plymouth? How about the toboggan runs at Rouge Park? How about the Nike silos north of Lessenger Middle School? http://nikehercules.tripod.com /d-69.html

Durango

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl,

My family moved to a house on Grandville between Orangelawn and Elmira. My older brother and I used to walk to Woolworth's eat lunch and buy models and slot cars from J-Kay Store next door. We would rummage through the Sears Surplus Store on the corner of Fielding and Plymouth. There was a Basket Robbins 31 Flavors across the street on Heyden and Plymouth and first Federal Bank where I had my first bank account. I think there was Sanders in the strip mall as well. There was a putt-putt golf course on the northside of Plymouth a couple of blocks east of Burt Road that eventually became a McDonalds but the local Coney Island ran them out of business, I guess. I didn't know about the silos behind Lessenger. I am sure there were many military activities going on in Rouge Park during the 40's. We played football at the field off of Burt Road and Orangelawn where the Chicago Bus turned around. We rode our bikes through the trails in Scout Hollow by the shooting range. Unforunately, it not what it used to be, but that can be said about many things.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5305
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, your photo looks like newer than Northlawn and Schoolcraft. Just an opinion, but quite sure you don't have jjaba's exact street.
Thanks, it looks familiar as hell though. Nice brick homes.

jjaba, Westsider.

Gingellgirl

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Durango,
Yes, I remember the Baskin Robbins on the north side of Plymouth well. It was just a few doors down from the Jack in the Box ("talk to the clown"). The strip mall had a Federals department store and a Packer's Supermarket. I bought all my 45s from the Woolworths store. There was a Winkleman's in the mall, too and a Cunningham's Drug Store at the far east end. We had all our family films developed there, and I bought all my Mad magazines there (wish I still had them all). Farther west on Plymouth, there was a Daly's Hamburgers (at Burt Rd., I believe). There was also a pony riding area in Rouge Park, not too far from the Detroit Police stables. Do you remember Trent's Market on West Chicago? Two tiny aisles and a terrific meat section.

Lmr

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtop and Dtctygirl

Yes, I would agree with you, Speedy's wasn't a standalone building, it was within a block of other stores. I don't think I was ever in Speedy's but I passed it many times. You might also post something about Speedy's to the downriver forum if you haven't already because it seems most of the posters there are from the Lincoln Park/Allen Park/Ecorse/Melvindale area.

Mott's hamburgers, haven't heard that name in a while!

Wow, waiting for the AMC Pacer! During my junior year in high school there was one girl who was a year ahead of me that drove a Pacer when it first came out...I rode in it a couple of times...what an experience in the "rolling greenhouse". A lot of people think the Pacer was one of the worst cars of all time, but I think I'd have to give that prize to a 1999 Kia Sephia that I rode in when it was new.

Durango

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl,

We arrived at Grandville in the fall of 1975. I don't remember Wilkleman's, I remember Kline's Clothing Store next to Cunningham's. I don't remember the Federals Store or the supermarket. I remember when the shopping center was torn down and replaced with the senior citizen development and town houses in the early eighties and a Farmer Jack supermarket was built. The only original buildings that are left are the Cunningham's storefront and the old Sears Surplus building. I remember the Daly's Drive in on the corner of Burt and Plymouth and the Sunoco gas station across the street. I remember the pony rides in Rouge Park and the lawn bowling area by the tennis courts and driving range. We would stop at Jack and the Box for a Jumbo Jack with Cheese which was a huge hamburger for an eight-year-old. Across the street from Cunningham's on Vaughn and Plymouth was the Plymouth Furniture Store and Manufacturers Bank next door on Plymouth and Evergreen. Most of my friends attended the local Catholic School, St. Suzanne's on Chicago and Grandville. I think it is a Charter School today.

Please enlighten me about Trent's Market on Chicago, the Packard Supermarket, and Federals on Plymouth.

Thanks for your post, I was beginning to think no one lived out by Rouge Park.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Durango? You must remember the Rouge Inn, located on the north side of Plymouth just east of Burt Rd. They had GREAT turkey dinners.

When I was a prankster, a couple of buds and I would-after eating-pop a couple of dollars into the jukebox, select the tune "Black Betty" six or seven times, and leave. We thought it was quite funny.

Durango

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winstin_o_boogie_iii,

I think the Rouge Inn is a Coney Island right next to the old Sunoco Gas Station on the corner of Plymouth and Burt Road? Or are you referring to the old two-story brick bar on the south side of Plymouth? I also remember when I got my drivers license and use to drive my 74 Mercury Comet too fast over the train tracks on Burt Rd. north of Plymouth by the golf course and get a little airborne in front of the old Chrysler parts depot on Burt Rd. We use to race through Rouge Park right after the city repaved Outer Drive and make our tires scream on the new asphalt.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I think you are right-its been gone a long time.

Gingellgirl

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Durango -

Trent's was on the south side of West Chicago, at the corner of Burt Road. Google shows an empty lot there now. It was a neighborhood market with all the staples (including Pop Tarts, when they first came out), big round mirrors in either corner up front so the lone cashier, placed at the head of the two aisles, could keep watch on the brats, er, neighborhood kids frequenting the store. Meat counter in the back. It was three blocks from home, so when Mom needed something, she'd give me a list and some money. I remember on more than one occassion buying a few packs of Marlboros, with a signed note from my mom. They'd sell anything to a ten-year-old back in 1971.
Federals was on the southeast corner of Fielding and Plymouth (where the traffic light was). It was a Federals, then something after that (Korvettes?). I clearly remember shopping there during the 1968 election season, with all the red, white and blue "VOTE!" signs. Also remember going through the wallet collections and helping myself to the photos of the stars that were placed inside (remember when they did that?). East of the Federals was the access alley into the shopping center (parking in the back), and east of that, Packers, and Woolworth's next to that. Packers was a local chain (bought by Wrigleys?) that was akin to A&P. The aisles ran east-west and, while there was a front entrance no one used, the cashiers and entrance were located in the rear (south) end of the store. There was even a covered canopy to the rear of the store. Vivid memories of seeing Duz detergent with Porter Wagoner and a very young Dolly Parton on the box.
Yes, I'm a St. Suzanne's kid. Went to catechism classes there in the school. Some of the neighbor kids went to elementary school there, too.
Do you have any memories of Albano's Pizzeria on the north side of Joy Road, between Fielding and Patton? First place I ever tasted pizza. I compare every pizza since to theirs. Also, they had monstorous meatballs on the spaghetti. We preferred their food to Stromboli's.

Swede1934

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an item a while back about pre-expressway Southfield. My sister lived in West Dearborn near Ford Fairlain and we travelled that route many times from the Livernois-7 Mile area. I remember that strange jog in the northbound lanes just north of Fenkell, and waiting for Pere Marquette trains to pass at the crossing at West Chicago. I even tried the trip ONCE by bicycle, and found it to be a lot longer than it looked from the back seat of a car.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5306
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl and Swede1934, good reports. Thanks.
jjaba went to catechism class at St Brigits Parish, Schoolcraft and Ohio Sts. There were two kindz religions in the neighborhood, Catholics and Publics. Welcome to Forum.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor

Durango

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl,

My mother remembered Trent's on West Chicago and Burt Road. We were the first family to integrate the 9900 block of Grandville in 1975. By that time Jay Kay Sales must have occupied the old Packer Store. I remember the cashiers and the primary entrance was in the back of the building and no one used the Plymouth entrance. The Federals Store on the corner was the Sears Surplus store when we arrived in the neighborhood. I remember the Carini Bakery on Plainview and Joy Road which eventually moved to the north side Plymouth Road near Middlebelt in Livonia. We use to get a large square piece of homemade pizza for $.75 a slice after we played video games at the video game arcade next door. I don't have any memories of Albano's. We did do a good portion of our grocery shopping at the Farmer Jack's on Joy Road and Vaughn and the Chatham Store on Chicago near the Southfield Freeway. We had the Sicilian Pizzeria on the corner of Grandville and Plymouth, great hand-tossed pizza and pasta across from the Davis automotive parts plant. You could watch them make the pizza right in front of you. Those were some great times when I was growing-up.

Durango

Dtctygrl

Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59: Was that a Mott's Hamburgers on Fort St.? It seems I remember going there for breakfast a few times when Mom was in the hospital. I loved going to Speedy's.That was a "dine-in" experience for us. We also made the occasional trek to Kentucky Fried Chicken where we had to ride all the way home with the bucket of chicken between us - not able to eat any of it. I don't know where it was located - but it seemed like it took FOREVER to get home and be able to eat!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtctygrl,
Mott's was at Fort and Green (with Christmas tree lot beside it). Mott's was also in the area of Vernor and Dragoon or Livernois.

Other close by Fav's were A&W Drive-in on Dix and of course Duly's on Vernor.

I don't remember KFC anywhere near, I do remember that we went often to Minnie Pearl's Chicken and Red Barn on Michigan Ave

Dtctygrl

Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59: Ahhh... A & W Drive-In and Red Barn. I don't remember where the KFC was, but it did not have a place to eat inside. I want to think it was in the direction of Speedy's/ Merchandise Mart mentioned in above posts - not sure. Just remember what seemed to be a long ride home with that red and white striped bucket of chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy! There was also a place where we got fish and chips occasionally (maybe out towards Sears/Southgate?) The fish and chips baskets were packaged in "newspaper print" liners. Any idea of that one? It looks like a lot of my memories center around food! lol

Gingellgirl

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BEST Fish and Chips: Scotty Simpson's Fish and Chips (22200 Fenkell). I miss Sutherland's on 7 Mile east of Middlebelt in Livonia. Now, we have to drive up to Whitey's in Davison to fix our fish jag.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes fish and chips. Who remembers Bet and Jessie's on Grand River maybe a few blocks east of Evergreen? I think a Mr Tony's later came into the area.

Lmr

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtctygirl,

For Fish and Chips are you thinking of Scotty Gall's? If so, yes, that was farther out toward Southgate.

There was a KFC on Fort St. in Wyandotte for years but it was much farther out, south of Eureka, so I don't think that is the one you're thinking of. It was take out only.

Quozl

Post Number: 583
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly remember Bet & Jessie's Fish and Chips on Grand River. We went there to eat often on Friday nights, being Roman Catholic and all. Dad would sometimes get the food for carry out.

I think I left Detroit before Mr. Tony's though.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmr--No, she's talking about Scotty Simpson's, a NW (Brightmore) institution for decades. I used to eat at Bet & Jessie's when they were east of Evergreen, I still go to the new location near Inkster. My sister had her first job as a waitress at Sutherland's in the early 80's.

Lmr

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman - you may be right, but there was/is also Scotty Gall's Fish and Chips on Fort St. near Goddard Road in Southgate. It's still there, but renamed Fergie's Fish and Chips now. Its been there since at least the late 1950's. It was renamed to Fergie's several years before I moved away in 1984...I'm going to guess it was renamed about 1980. Since Dtctygirl mentioned farther out into Southgate I thought that's the one they might be thinking of...must be one of the two, eh?

Dtctygrl

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hungry Penguin? I don't recognize the other fish and chip places mentioned, but I was very young and names really weren't important to me at the time. :-) I just remember really enjoying fish and chips!

Lmr

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtctygrl,

Hungry Penguin also sounds familiar to me...somehow I seem to place that name further into Downriver, like Southgate/Riverview/Trenton, in the 1970's.

Dtctygrl

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmr: I bet that is the place I remember. Time frame would be correct and sounds like the right direction too. :-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5316
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, it's Brightmoor.

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtctygrl, there was a Hungry Penguin on Dix between Southfield and the I75 ramp. Before Hungry Penguin, I believe it was Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips. Kind of a fast food type place with a few tables to eat there, but mostly takeout. They did wrap their meals and line their baskets in paper that looked like old time London newspapers.

Dtctygrl

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fredgarvin: I'm pretty sure that's it - the Hungry Penguin. The liners did look like London newspapers. Fast food place that had a pub look to it.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of great memories from several threads going now, All of which help bring our "Westside" thread back to the top.

"Calling out" sure we did it, no one would go to the door and ring the bell, Who knows what would of happened if we had disturbed our parents that way? That was reserved for "Real" unwanted guest !lol
My best memories of the Ice Cream man were during the early 60's back on Hubbard st a few houses from Vernor. It was the 3-wheeled cushman cart with the cooler rear end. and no music that I recall, Just bells ringing. I really think my fav flavor was the orange cream bars and they also came with a Whistle.
Also had the home delivery of Milk on that street.

When living later back down on Central, The treats came from the row of stores on Lafayette between Wheelock and Green. The whole block was stores. First was the pop store where we would turn in our found gold (in the form of bottles) and receive our spending money for the store nextdoor, Which was a candy store and more !
Candy was laid out in the front window. Inside was a Soda Fountain that even at the time seemed old to us. I don't remember what other things he sold in there, All we ever bought was Candy, Balsawood airplanes and Slingshots, Slingshots were the weapon of choice for real games of Army in the jungle of weeds around the Packing House on Springwells.
We outlawed "Bottle Cap" guns ourselves, too unpredictable to tell where it would go when we shot it, But slingshots seemed accurate to us!
The next store was a Pizza place for awhile, Very cool to look in and watch, But I don't think we ever had any.
Several corners around the area had stores on them. along with several Gas Stations as well!

There was a store on Lawndale that always had model car contests going, I never put together a model that looked as good as even the worst one he would have on display in his windows.

Another thing I miss was when riding bikes around the alleys, it was always easy to find a concert going on. Backyard Bands were everywhere. I never made a connection between the ones I saw and the famous ones later in life, But I know some were good enough to make it somewhere.

Saturday mornings were the time to head over to the Library on Fort St, Movies were played for us kids and we were able to go without any parents around.
And Saturday afternoons were reserved for the Pool at Patton Park.

I just thought of another place I liked to spend my Bottle Money. On the way to the pool ,I'd stop in at the indoor Gun Range on Springwells, I loved to play on the game that was like flying a Helicopter around making points by touching things with it. It was just like the "Vertibird" toy that came out later.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the name of the little drugstore in the Grandland Shopping Center just west of the McDonalds?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a Cunninghams.

Vetalalumni

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, but I'm NOT referring to the Cunninghams that was on Fenkell and next to Sibleys Shoes and a few doors south of Kresges. I'm referring to the little pharmacy drugstore that you could see from the McDonalds when looking west - it was about 200 feet from the McDonalds on the same side of the Grand River. It was very small and the front doors faced Grand River. A grocery store (A&P maybe) was on it's west side (this grocery store became blockbuster video in the late 80's).

Vetalalumni

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Vetal Alumni out there?

Vetal 75 here.

1) Remember the greenhouse?
2) Remember the 7th or 8th grade Social Studies teacher (male) who wore glasses?
3) Remember the kid who was killed around 1973 or 1974 after being hit by a truck while running across Schoolcraft? (near Artesian I think)
4) Remember any of the (black) kids with the last name Freed who lived on Greenview?
5) Remember Harpers Candy Store, Dairy Queen, And Ringler Drugs? (all of which were on the north side of Schoolcraft between Greenview and Faust)
6) Remember the huge adjustment required to move on to Redford High School?

Ray1936

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" I'm referring to the little pharmacy drugstore that you could see from the McDonalds when looking west -"

Vetal, could the name have been "Regel Drugs" or "Regal Drugs"? I know the store, used to shop there regularly 25 years back....but the brain cells tend to flake off over time.

Quozl

Post Number: 696
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Remember Harpers Candy Store, Dairy Queen, And Ringler Drugs?

Heck yea I remember all those places, especially Dairy Queen. I also remember Ashton Drugs on Schoolcraft and Ashton, where my neighbor Mr Leveque was shot and killed during a robbery in 1969.

My baby sister was run over on the sidewalk by an automobile in front of Stan's Market at Schoolcraft and Rutland on July 4th, 1968. A car was going south on Rutland north of Schoolcraft and never stopped at the stop sign. It blew clear across Schoolcraft over the sidewalk and right into the window at Stan's. My sister was parking her bike and was thrown through the window.

quote:

Remember the huge adjustment required to move on to Redford High School?

I remember the huge adjustment going from St. Mary of Redford HS to Cooley HS.

Vetalalumni

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That may have been the name of it - I cannot remember the name for sure. I liked it better than Cunningham's because of the "personal" service. What is in that location today?

It was a quaint family-oriented place, whereas Cunningham's was very commercial and corporate-like. Cunningham's later became Perry's Drugs and then something else after that. Not sure what it is today.

Quozl

Post Number: 697
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A grocery store (A&P maybe) was on it's west side

I thought there was a grocer there called "Big D" or something like that. We shopped there and on Greenfield for groceries all the time, and went to a huge vegetable stand way out on Schoolcraft.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think "Great Scott" was due west of that drugstore. A&P fronted on Fenkell, so would have been just south of the drugstore.

Quozl

Post Number: 699
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct Winston, it was a "Great Scott". Do you remember what was on Greenfield south of Grand River?

Vetalalumni

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, thank you - it was Great Scott that was next to and west of the drugstore. I liked Great Scott, but I think most people who shopped in Grandland preferred the Krogers (now Foodland?), even over the A&P.

I received my first traffic ticket from the Detroit Police Department while attempting to make a left turn from westbound Grand River south into the driveway between McDonald's and the Great Scott. It was in the fall of 1977 at about 4:30pm during the rush hour and the police officer was from the 16th Precint and was on a motorcycle. Left turns from the center of Grand River were prohibited during rush hour. I had just received my Drivers License a few weeks earlier. I remember standing in line at the Secretary of State on Grand River and Evergreen - is that still there?

I had a really good Dentist whose office was on the southeast corner of Grand River and Glastonbury. He did extensive dental work on me as a kid. I think there was a cleaners to the east, between the Dentist office and Krogers.

65memories

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The drugstore (Regal) is now a discount womens' clothing store. The area occupied by Great Scott is now a Blockbusters. The A&P, on the south side, became an independent market (Rdale?)and then a Powerhouse gym. It has since been torn down and a new Rite Aid is there now, replacing the old Rite Aid, which formerly occupied the old Cunningham's space (follow?). Kresges has been long gone, replace by a dollar store. The Hallmark card shop, a great little business, closed its doors about two years ago for a nail station. The old Kroger has been renovated in recent years by Foodland.

Speaking of stores in the area, anyone ever by meats from Butchers on Schoolcraft?

Vetalalumni

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction - the other smaller drugstore in the Grandland Shopping Center was Kent Drugs.

Vetalalumni

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We usually got our meat from Kroger, but I remember that butcher shop on Schoolcraft.

Anyone remember the great little bakery on the south side of Schoolcraft near either Stahelin or Artesian? After school let out from Vetal, my friends and I would go there to get these huge delicious apple fritters. Alternatively, we'd go to Harper's Candy Store (Schoolcraft and Faust next to Dairy Queen) for Charms Blow Pops, Faygo pop, and Hostess brand fruit pies. There was another good party store right near Vetal on the south side of Schoolcraft at Westwood.

65memories

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetal...yes it was Kent Drugs. I stand corrected. And before anyone corrects me, I know it should have read "buy" meats from Butchers.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, Kent Drugs. Comes back to me now! Good call, Vetal!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had posted the same drugstore question to a Yahoo Group and someone came back with the answer of "Kent Drugs".

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though I went to Vetal (75) and Redford (79), I knew people who went to St. Mary of Redford in the mid-to-late 1970's. There was Amina and her younger brother Omar Fakir who lived on Abington Road south of Lyndon.

Amina Fakir was beautiful and went on to be crowned 18th Miss Black America in 1985. She went to Hollywood and did some "B" movies in the late 80's early 90's.

Omar Fakir was an athlete - track, boxing, and football. He was very short and stocky. He eventually got in with the wrong crowd, Young Boys Incorporated I think, and was murdered in an alley somewhere east of Grand River and Greenfield in the 80's.

The Chaney Library was a fun place and I too remember playing with the hamsters there.

Eric_w:
In the 70's, I really enjoyed eating with my family at the the old Family Buggy restaurant on 6 mile near Evergreen.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on May 26, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: