Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » The Griswold rendering officially released » The Griswold rendering officially released - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Epaminondas
Username: Epaminondas

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like the developer released the rendering to the free press this morning...

rendering

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might there be a link to their site where one could possibly find an image that just happens to be a little larger and with better resolution? I tis a little difficult to infer much from this image.

Epaminondas
Username: Epaminondas

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the only image on freep.com, but here's the article:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070128/BUS INESS04/701280563/1017

Image on the real estate page:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/section?Category=BUSINESS 04

I'd love to see a higher res version if available.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 654
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish all parking structures in Detroit looked that good. Blends well with the architecture of the BC. Very upscale looking and pleasing to the eye.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 351
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Often they are drawn to impress and garner interest, so it is interesting that they didn't release a better image. I spend time at my architecture office making renderings look sweet. I would be quite mad if mine got reduced to 1"x1".

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesnt really matter what they end up looking like, the real value in this is living across the street from the coney islands.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im sure someone could now post the image that was on here a week ago that had a very good resolution.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3705
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C:

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice looking!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 463
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks to me that there is NOT a parking entrance on Michigan. Is this correct? I think this is the way it should be. It would make it more pedestrian friendly, not having to always worry about cars going in and out at that point.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My best guess is that the entrance is either off of Shelby or Griswold.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2364
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too bad looking...the first step in the gentrification of Capitol Park. I believe that a partial condo-conversion of the Stott Tower is next.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2326
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It doesnt really matter what they end up looking like, the real value in this is living across the street from the coney islands.

LMAO!

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I am impressed.

Anyone know who the Roxybury Group is? Their website is lacking: http://roxbury-group.com/

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 349
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That looks really good. Ground level retail will be a major boost for that corner. Does anyone know if they plan to keep Shelby Street open once both structures are finished, or will they block it off as so many other Detroit streets are?

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like they're keeping Shelby open.

Besides, one of the things they used to finance the B-C was a historic preservation easement. That gave the developers some cash, but put an easement on the B-C's fascade and air rights. They can't do anything to either of those elements unless the Michigan Historic Preservation Network (holders of the easements) approves of it.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 481
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those look damn nice.

If the Lafayette Building starts soon then this block will be another of the "super" blocks I find throughout the city.
SUPER BLOCKS are certain areas of the city that, when your viewing area is constrained, resemble normal cities.

Some areas are the stretch of W. Grand Blvd between Cass and Third.

Woodward between Mack and Selden

Monroe between Randolph and St. Antoine.

And Jefferson between 375 and the lodge connection ramps.

Soon to be added to the list might be this stretch of MIchigan between Campus Martius and Washington.

Once the Vinton is complete Woodward from Jefferson to C.M.

and Broadway between Gratiot and Grand Circus Park.

The perimeter of WSU's main campus, Cass/Palmer/Anthony Wayne/Warren, can also be included.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you include Griswold from Jefferson to Michigan in this list?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2367
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nicely put, Bussey. It's all about that sense of enclosure that comes from a lack of surface parking lots. I believe the majority of Griswold Street is in this league, Detroitstar, although I would love to see the parking garage at the corner of Larned next to the Buhl replaced.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea Griswold is my favorite view

Busterwmu

Post Number: 351
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I showed the rendering to a friend a few minutes ago. He made the very good point that it looks like they've wisely put the car entrances somewhere other than the Michigan Avenue facade. This is a very good thing, in my opinion. It gives the building a very clean from one of the city's most important spoke roads. And it will make walking along this stretch much simpler and no one should have to worry about a car flying into them pulling in or out. Hopefully it will be a nice wide sidewalk and some parallel parking. :-)

It looks like there will be an entrance off Griswold, and maybe another off Shelby, but that's just a guess because you can't see it from the rendering.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 782
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice looking - I especially like the roof line. If this really takes place, it sure minimizes the loss of the Detroit Commerce Bldg. One hopes that this can jump start the Capitol Park area - there is so much potential in that section of downtown.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me add my praise as well.

It blends so nicely with the BC.

Nice to see quality buildings go up.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 664
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great looking, I hope it gets built.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 281
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That works for me! 313

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sure would be nice to have a virtual 3D model of that thing to climb around in. Imagine climbing to the top and looking out a window to check out the view from that perspective.

(Message edited by Jimaz on January 28, 2007)

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 655
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking north up Griswold reminds me of some of the street scapes in Chicago.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey,

Just a point of clarification:

I believe the term you are looking for is "street wall", not "Super Block".

A Super Block is a Modernism/Urban Renewal term in which an enormous amount of land is devoid of roads that run through it. The WSU campus and Lafayette Park are some examples of Super Blocks in Detroit. The GM Tech center is another example of a Super Block.

The BC block is the restoration of what nearly every major city in the world has: the street wall. This is where the entire block is solid building with no curb cuts (auto entrances). As stated by many, this makes for a very pedestrian friendly environment if there is retail and other interesting things at the street/sidewalk level.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2370
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds correct, Bvos.

A super block doesn't have to be that big, though.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5071
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super Block is usually a negative term. Cobo, the RenCen, the new MGM...etc...those are examples of super blocks. Bvos is right in saying we're talking about filling back in the street wall. No streets are being removed, here.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as fake and unrealistic as this "building/parking garage" really is, it does do well to please the eye. the problem with the historicism approach is the "fakeness" of how the structure is really put together. i am in no way supporting the so-called modern ideal, but a parking garage with some appeal is the one at the henry ford hospital. it's the one fronting the lodge. WISE UP, IT IS FAKE. bottom line, the new structure compliments the urban context quite well, only because it has the condos up top and, as many pointed out, the auto entrance is off michigan ave. it would only be necessary that kudos are due to the Roxybury Group.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BVOS I was about to say... hmm a superblock is like WSU or Eaton Centre! Looks like you beat me to it.

Generally a superblock will be controlled by one entity. None of the blocks you mention are.

I would not say however that "Superblock" is a negative term. Some applications of it may be poorly executed and are harmfull to the built environment.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on January 29, 2007)

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit would be smart to trend away from the "Superblock". A super dooper block here an there is not a bad idea though...

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 482
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know you could use a term that you made up for your OWN use incorrectly.

If you refer back to my original post I said that the super blocks were areas that I found throughout the city. If I want to call them widgets I will.

Can you say anal...

In my opinion they are Super because Detroit has very few of them, hence the term. I'm not citing from "the green book" or one of Robert Moses's manuals or anything like that.

This isn't meant for Transportation just this forum.

(Message edited by bussey on January 29, 2007)

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it, parking garage or not, it looks sweet!

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although the sketch make feel optimistic towards this project. A lot can be lost by how they execute the project from here. What materials will they be using to face the parking structure? The first floor retail? What type of glass panels/doors for the retail section? Will there be any type of grate/decorative metalwork over the window openings of the parking structure? Or will the window openings be black holes in the facade? All of these items which I am sure will be reviewed in comparison to the budget (which are always tight) of the developer can make or break this project.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 663
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's some sexy rendering...

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! What's on top? More condo's?

That's actually fabulous! And that's coming from picky old me.

I agree that the no-entrance off Michigan is a HUGE plus and a great design decision...also the street level commercial real estate is a must and looks good here.

Good job Kraemer Design Group!

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But bussey, you linked to a page which described exactly what everyone else is talking about, but had nothing to do with what you are saying, contradicting your claim to having thought you made up the term. To most here, it appeared you called it the incorrect term, and they corrected you. to call them 'anal' for that is absolutely ridiculous.

but you see, i may have just made up every word in the previous paragraph. they might all mean something different than what you will find in a dictionary, so good luck figuring out what i was really saying.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 883
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detour, the trend for superblocking is largely going away in older urban areas. Projects for urban renewal are nowhere near as grandiose as they were in the 50's and 60's.

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"SUPER BLOCKS are certain areas of the city that, when your viewing area is constrained, resemble normal cities."

Bussey...I just read this thread today, and I have to admit that this made me literally laugh out loud. Good descriptor...I need to remember that.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ Scottr. :-)

Anyhow, the building looks great. It has a few nods to history, but it doesn't go *too* far in that direction... it still has large functional panes of windows on the corner for example. Naturally they want to make it appear to "go with" the Book-Cadillac next door. A nice balance.

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a serious note...that looks like a great rendering. Perfect blend with surrounding architecture. Needless to say, I hope this one gets built.

Quinn

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the most important question:

Are they going to put the taco bell back in the corner of Griswold and Michigan?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I am confused, but isn't the building in Capitol Park fronting Griswold already called the Griswold Building?

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the building is going to be refered to as "The Griswold", strictly. No extra frills.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little bird told me there is going to be a gay bar on the ground floor of "The Griswold."

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5074
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the building just to the north of this proposed building on the park is known as the Capitol Park Building, but I don't remember a Griswold Building. Officially, the name is "The Griswold ~ Capitol Park."

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Hybridy. It is fake and a disappointing attempt to hide its true function, a vertical parking lot. 10 stories at that.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better a Opera House-style parking garage than a sea of surface parking lots.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So a parking ramp with retail options and that tries to fit the surroundings, or an abandoned building? I'll take the ramp.

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either way, it will still smell like urine.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would anyone have a list of the parking garages that have been built to hold buildings on top and how many stories that would be? I heard the Opera house, but have no idea how many stories or if this is even true.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 684
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelly1986, check the archives. We had a discussion about parking structures in Detroit that could hold buildings on top. I think there will be some answers to your question there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3534
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it looks like you are in the minority Mod. Let me guess, you are either an architect or an architectural student?

As for the smell of urine... it will smell no worse or no better than any other parking structures built downtown, even the "modern" ones that are devoid of character.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks great to me. Excellent use of space. They would not spend the money on feasibility and purchase the air rights if they were not going to go through with it. It will be realized.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelly1986: The deck below grade at the site of the former Hudsons is designed for a building on top, as well as the one kennedy square deck also below grade, which now has the ernst and young building atop it. Those are the obvious one but none of them are above grade. There is also what I think is called 300 River Place near the east riverfront which has two story apartments atop about a 7 level deck.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the parking deck attached to Comerica Tower can be built upon. I could be wrong though.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, originally there was going to be a second tower there, so you may be correct.

Quinn

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't stop thinking about this parking tower...any new resources? More images? Nothing on Kraemers site...

I need info! Sta a a r rr vv i n g for more information.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5076
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. Neither of the Comerica garages are built to hold towers atop them. There was a discussion a few years back. There had been rumors that they were building the second one to hold Two Detroit Center, but it never panned out like that.

1001 is the only other one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

Kraemerdesigngroup
Username: Kraemerdesigngroup

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

e

Check out the best balconies in town! BK

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent...... I want one.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kraemerdesigngroup, can we get more pictures by any chance?

Kraemerdesigngroup

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you will have to wait - but soon enough there will be many more views and a video. BK

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice!

Southen

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantastic! We always appreciate what you post Kraemer. Im very excited about this building.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One does have to give props to KDG for not just for being an architecture firm posting on blogs (I can't even think of any others in Detroit), but also for posting rather exclusive material and giving us inside information. Thanks!

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kraemerdesigngroup: I am very excited about the project; but was wondering if this is the final rendering? If not, I have a question: the section of the building below; was there ever any thought of making this round or more congruent with the curve: (see pictures below). This seems like the ideal building and corner for this type of architectural signature and gives it a more pronounced entrance at this intersection

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

example 1:

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks amazing! i wasnt too attached to the commerce building. i love multi-use buildings, especially parking garages with some kind of building on top. theres nothing i hate more than a stand alone parking garage with no other use. if we have to have a parking garage in the middle of the city, it might as well make use of the footprint for something other than freaking cars.

did someone say there's street-level retail on this building on michigan? are those storefronts i see? does anyone know?

Kraemerdesigngroup

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelly1986 - yes, this is the final rendering. The corner you highlighted houses the stair and elevator cores. Due to the limiting shape of the site, this was the only logical placement. The building follows the property line and easements.

The main entrance to the housing is off of Griswold, not evident in this view.

Note, the garage entrance is off of Shelby.

All - yes, there is retail planned for the entire length of Michigan Ave. and Griswold.

(Message edited by kraemerdesigngroup on January 31, 2007)

Kraemerdesigngroup

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelly1986 - here is a close-up of what is expected. Keep in mind that the garage and the condos are by two different developers...

t

Scs100

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally, a new building that actually looks really good. It's a miracle! Great design KDG.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they really going to do streetlights like that? Wouldn't it make more sense to have them match the type put in around 1 Kennedy Square and also the kind they are putting on Michigan Avenue already between Wyoming and Livernois and around Tiger Stadium? It's a historical Detroit design, you know, from the late 1800s, called the bishop design, and features the unique "bowling pin" on the top of the pole.

That aside, it's a great looking rendering, and an excellent building to put on this important Detroit corner. Full ground floor retail is very important, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks so. Should be a good boost for walkability and walking traffic between Campus Martius, the Coneys, and Washington Blvd. I'm excited to make that walk myself!

One additional question, is any curbside parallel parking planned for Michigan Avenue? It doesn't look like it from the rendering, but then again, the primary focus is the building, nto the streetscape.

Finally, and I realize this will sound weird, but when construction starts and they close off that corner, someone ought to carefully take down and save the "walk/don't walk" pedestrian signal on that corner, right next to the stairway/elevador entrence right on the corner. Now why would anyone want to do that, you ask? Well, the one on the corner is a classic old green "walk/don't walk" (common and once standard throughout the city, but now being rapidly replaced), but more importantly, it features two of the very rare "lunar blue" WALK lamps, one each for crossing Michigan and Griswold. Not the normal white "walk" or the "little man" which is so common today, but a blue tinted "walk" to let peds know when to cross. These are really rare, in fact, the only other one I knew of was at the corner of Cherry Hill and Military in Dearborn and was replaced a couple years ago. There are probably a few others, but not many. I see new traffic lights going in in the rendering, but it would be cool to keep the old walk/don't walk signs up, even if they are just put in one of the shops or on the corner or something. Just a little bit of Detroit history that I bet no one else has noticed, but sometime, of you're down there, take a look. It would be neat to have it saved!

Scs100

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only problem with that is the fact that:
a) It doesn't work anymore. (might be the other side)
B) When it does work, it is impossible to read.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know how much they paid for the "air rights" above the garage? Beefing up the sheer walls to support residential floors above the garage isn't cheap either.....I'm assuming from the article that $250PSF will get them where they need to be in terms of profit, but the added expense of the garage and the "air rights" could make this deal difficult.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 950
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buster, I believe there is curbside parking throughout that section of Michigan now.....I hope they have it for the Retail's sake!

Tetsua

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The renderings are sharp, the building looks like it'll be pretty pleasing on the eyes. It's a pretty nice looking parking garage as well.

Tabletop
Username: Tabletop

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gambling_man:

"The agreement is valued at $750,000, which is what the DDA will spend to build the garage to higher specifications that will permit additional floors to be added for the condos."

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/roxbury75.aspx

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is curbside parking along Michigan now and a bus stop.

Archy
Username: Archy

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busterwmu,

The city is currently working on a streetscape improvements for that area. I sure the street lights will be designed to look like the rest being placed in the rest of the CBD.

Also, I know that the lanes along michigan will be squeezed down as the parking structure extends a couple of feet beyond the book caddy. They could out meters in that last lane...that would be prime parking area for many future patrons especially since the garage will not be for the public...just hotel and condo parking.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's to good hear the Michigan Ave streetscape really does need an upgrade. Do you know when they hope to start working on it?

Tetsua

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That should be a nice retail strip along Michigan ave when the Lafayette building is rehabbed, the BC, is complete, and the ground level retail is finished in this parking deck.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be pretty awesome Tetsua, and as Dodgemain pointed out, all of it anchored by the coney island!

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 896
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Renderings always look so nice. :-)

It's too bad the garage behind the 1001 Woodward wasn't built with housing on top. Oh, and what's up with that awful new parking sign on that structure? It looks so gaudy on Woodward. So I guess its not obvious enough that it's a parking structure? Perhaps they made it look a little TOO nice with those metal grates.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 897
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and I like the name too. Very classy. :-)

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks KraemerDesignGroup, for updating us.

Keep up the good work. :-)

Southen

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog the 1001 Woodward garage will be able to have housing above it if the owners decide the market is good enough. Right now they are having a hard enough time getting the units inside 1001 ready.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whats up w/ that too...that has been in the works forever. Financing issue or what?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great work Kraemerdesigngroup. I like the renderings, a lot. I hope the building turns out just as good. Keep up the good work and thank you for posting.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am selling the air rights to my house, if anyone wants to buy them. I will retain all ground level and house level rights.

Quinn

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953 me too. Anything over 200 Ft.

200 Ft. to 1000ft. is a set price of $28 CF, anything over that is at a premium.

Get it while it's hot.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You wouldn't happen to have an illustration of what that might look like would you Quinn?

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 898
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the clarification Southen. That's very forward thinking of them.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious to see what this looks like at night.
It is very difficult to hide the fact that the majority of the building is a parking deck.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5080
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest, Southen just said that they are having a hard time selling the residential units in 1001. Housing above the 1001 garage was contingent upon a successful selling of the 1001 building's residential units. It would make no since for them to start planning condos above the garage when they can't even sell the condos in the building.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How come the Condos in 1001 are such a hard sell? How much are they going for anyway?

Scs100

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parking sign came about after the garage owners couldn't get anyone to park there (no one knew it was there). Now, they have had great success.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess it was difficult to miss the largest parking deck south of Birmingham to grace Woodward Avenue!

Southen

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps thats a compliment to the design of the garage, the fact that nobody knew it was one. I can see how some people not "in the know" could miss it being there.

Scs100

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"$5 for all events"

Best deal my dad and I found during the auto show.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kraemerdesigngroup, that rendering is the most beautiful sketchup model I have seen. That must have taken a looooong time to do.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 413
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich...my comments were in regard to the condos in building of 1001, not garage

...I didn't know they had actually finished them

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich,

From what I heard from the manager of the 1001 building, it has nothing to do with lack of interest. They were still securing financing, and were facing a few new problems with converting the office space into residential space that they had not expected.

This was a couple of months ago though, and I dont know whats happened since...

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5081
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I'd heard the financing thing, before, but had also heard that they weren't selling as well as the developers thought they would. Looks like I have some research to do...

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could be right. The guy I talked to may have been overstating the demand.

I cant imagine how it WOULDNT be sold out. Top 9 floors only, ON Campus Martius Park... I'd move in today

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The top of this building looks a lot like the Willets in Birmingham.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know all of you out there are going to hate me for this, but I am excited to see new construction going in. I know that we want to save as many old buildings as possible, but it is nice to have some new construction residential going in. Hopefully there will be more soon.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think anyone will hate you for that statement. What everyone seems to like about this new building is how it compliments the existing structures, despite its newness.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very much looks like the Willits in Bham. Kudos!

Southen

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jd I think everyone who was saddened by the loss of the Commerce Building, myself included, has pretty much gotten over it now. If this lot was just going to be a parking lot or garage I would still be upset but this development is going to be huge for that area and the quality we are seeing is amazing. We cant continue to tear down our historic structures but I think this is clearly a case where things are working out for the best.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps someday with increased density and an eventual need for mass transit along with less auto dependance, Detroit's overabundance of parking structures can be utilized in the same manner as this one.

From Curbed.com

http://www.curbed.com/archives /2007/02/02/166_perry_facade_r evealed_surface_space.php

Conversion of a former parking structure. Related to this thread.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is feasible to turn a parking deck into residential units. they both have the same floor to floor height of 10'8" Not sur how residents might deal with a floor that slopes at an angle of up to 6 degrees.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5082
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not all parking garages have slanted floors. Also, all parking garages and residential buildings are built with different floor-to-floor heights. Not all are the same.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm totally confused by your last post.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

umm, L michigan, how do u get to the 5th floor of a parking structure if there are no slanted floors?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would your floor really slope at 6 degrees? Thats crazy. I think I'd walk out onto the street and fall over, like a sailor returning to land after months at sea. But the kids would have lots of fun with their Hot Wheels.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5084
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit,

He was making it sound like those parking garage, where the entire floor slants. The ones that would be turned into anything usuable for residential use would have to be the ones with the ramp in the middle of the structure. Or, they'd have a very expensive reconstruction.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on Queensfinest's post, I was simply critiquing the possibility of the situation that he/she suggested, that's all. I was actually suggesting that it is rather feasible as residential units and parking decks have the same floor to floor heights. Yes in theory, not all parts of all parking decks are on an angle (it would technically be about half). If one wants to park on an angled portion it cannot be steeper the 6 degrees (so that is where I got that from). There can be 'speed' ramps' that are steeper, but this is getting way too off subject, and I'll leave my defenses with my above remarks.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got ya now, Lmich.

:-)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5086
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand.

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

drugs.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 354
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are progressing rapidly on the demolition of the Commerce Building. More than half of it has been leveled. Crews were working late this afternoon as I drove past.

I also checked up on the status of the Lunar Blue crosswalk beacons at that corner of Griswold and Michigan. The Don't Walk for crossing Michigan is burned out, but the blue Walk still lights - someone just needs to paint the letters back in :-) Crossing Griswold, both lights still work and are more legible, however, since the post is so close to the curb, when large trucks make that turn from SB Griswold to WB Michigan, they tend to hit the visors and have tilted them away, making them hard to see. Still, it's historic!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 414
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that I had a dream last night about a Lunar Blue crosswalk beacon...

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a press release with some more details...
For Immediate Release
February 5, 2007
Sales of The Griswold ~ Capitol Park Announced Today

Downtown Detroit’s First New-Construction Condominiums

Exclusive Presale Event on March 24
DETROIT–Detroit-based Roxbury Group announced today the commencement of presale activities for The Griswold ~ Capitol Park, an 80-unit condominium project to be located on the corner of Griswold Street and Michigan Avenue, next to the Westin Book Cadillac Hotel and Residences. When completed, the Griswold will represent the first new-construction condominiums ever built in Detroit’s central business district.

To register for the exclusive presale event taking place on March 24, visit www.thegriswold.com.

“We have a strong belief in the long-term potential of the Capitol Park district, particularly in light of the overwhelming success of Book Cadillac residences,” said Stacy L. Fox, Roxbury Group principal. “This is an unprecedented project in the evolution of the district into a first class residential neighborhood, and we are delighted to have the opportunity to collaborate with the DDA on this project.”

The Condominiums
The Griswold residences were designed by Detroit-based architecture firm, Kraemer Design Group. They will rise six floors above an 11-story retail and parking complex, which is being built to support the Westin Book-Cadillac and The Griswold.

The residences range in size from 800 to 2,800 square feet and will feature high-end amenities and finishes including a private entrance on Griswold Street staffed by a 24-hour doorman, floor-to-ceiling windows, one or two terrace balconies per unit, fireplaces in certain units and gas appliances. The top residential floor (15th floor of the building) will offer nine, two-story penthouses allowing for second-floor master suites with French doors that open to a second balcony. Every unit will have spectacular views of downtown.

The majority of the units range in price from $200,000 to $400,000, with penthouses up to $750,000. For questions about sales, contact Esquire Properties at 313.580.2200.

The Building
While the project has been in the planning stages for several months, The Griswold was first reported on in early December 2006 when the Roxbury Group secured the “air rights” – the empty space – above the parking structure to be owned by the DDA on which the project will be built. The parking structure will have 545 spaces that will service both the Westin Book Cadillac Detroit Hotel and Residences and The Griswold. The Roxbury Group is reserving parking spaces in the structure for residents of The Griswold. The structure is being built on the site of the former Detroit Commerce Building, which is currently being demolished.

The cost for the entire project is $41 million; with The Griswold portion alone totaling over $26 million in investment.

The Roxbury Group is a real estate development and consulting firm founded in downtown Detroit in 2004. The firm specializes in complex real estate and economic development projects.

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 593
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Click Here to continue Griswold Discussion part 2

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: