Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » ItsJeff has passed away » ItsJeff has passed away - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11279
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just received a phone call from a fellow forumer who had some tragic news. ItsJeff, long time forumer, and one of the friendliest people I have ever met, has passed away. I was told that his mother hadn't heard from him for a few days, went to his house, found his car parked out front, and called the police. He apparently passed away in his sleep and was found in bed.

I know that many of you knew Jeff and this news will be rough on many. It's hard to believe, having just saw him over a week ago at the forum night at Foran's. He had just started a new job and had a very positive outlook on his new career in the insurance industry. He was so upbeat and happy as ever.

I'll pass along more information as I get it in regards to visitation, but I know they will be having one on Tuesday in Pontiac.

My thoughts go out to all of his friends and family for this significant loss.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 845
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaaaat? Dang. RIP.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My God this is terrible news.
Bless his soul and his family.
Rest in Peace

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP..... I am sorry to his family and friends. We will surely miss you ItsJeff.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh my gosh. i am stunned. heartbreaking.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3842
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn...

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone find his last post? Just for memory.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4055
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless his soul. I had the chance to meet him only twice. I noticed he had not posted in a few days either.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6167
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3679
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so sad. ItsJeff is one of the most wonderful, bright, kind and humorous people I have been honored to know. I feel like I have lost a family member and am heart broken.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3844
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Lowell. Had it not been for him there would have been no War with Livonia, nor would we have been able to jump into the Wayback Machine and read DetroitYES in 1807...

This is tragic indeed...

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on February 17, 2007)

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3680
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ItsJeff Jeff Colby

RIP to a great champion of Detroit. No one cared about our great city and its challenges more the he.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, my. This is horrible news. I never met him, but felt like I know him from the years ive spent posting or reading here.

A terrible loss for all of us, and detroit.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2489
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe it. This is so sad.

God bless you, Jeff.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rest in Peace, ItsJeff. I may not have known you well even on Dyes, and not at all in real life, but you will be missed nonetheless.

And every time I look at the new license plate, I will think of your photoshop with 'ITS JEF' as the plate number and a totally different word instead of 'Peninsulas', and laugh. Just one of many memories I'm sure everyone has and won't forget.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jesus, Gannon.

Wait..."

You will surely be missed.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2466
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never met Jeff in person but we corresponded occasionally about different things going on here on DY and Detroit in general. This upsets me very much. I will miss you, Jeff.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, very saddened to hear. Peace to ItsJeff and condolences to his family and friends. I don't post often, but I do read a lot and always enjoyed his posts.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had the pleasure of meeting Jeff recently, and talk about a hell of a nice guy. This is truly sad news, and a real loss for anyone who knew him. Rest in Peace Jeff

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what awful news. I enjoyed talking to Jeff at FSC meetings, which he always "directed". He had a great sense of humor and could work comedic magic with photoshop. Folks over at "fudge" will miss his alter-ego there as well.

Godspeed Jeff

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 912
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. He was such a nice guy. Always cheerful and friendly to everyone he met. A perfect example of a model citizen. What a loss. I lament that I did not hang out with him at more FSC's. Never saw this coming. West Village keeps losing great residents. So, so sad.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 815
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never knew ItsJeff, although I was shocked to hear this news. I'm sorry to hear this. I have great respect for anybody who loves their city and tries to help out.

Rest in peace ItsJeff.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, RIP itsjeff. That dude was funny. Through the tragedy it is good to see how strong of a community some forumers have with one another on this site.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4497
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He cared. He shared. And he will be missed.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4228
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I consider Jeff a close friend and he will be missed. Obviously he was a beloved part of this forum and he should be remembered here. However I would request that this thread be temporarily removed at least for a day or so because I know some of Jeff's closest friends have not yet been personally told of this sad news. It would be horrible if they had to find out this way.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff was just a great guy. There isn't a better way to put it. He had the wit and charisma that made people laugh, relax and just feel better. Jeff couldn't wait to meet new people and make them his friends. He was one of the city's staunchest defenders and brightest lights. I am lucky to have enjoyed what little time I spent with him, better for it and proud to call him my friend. God be with you Jeff. We miss you.

Supersport

Post Number: 11280
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,

I understand your point, but aside from people he knew from the forum, his closest friends and family have surely been notified. He was discovered on Friday after his mother didn't hear from him for a few days. I'm sure it will be in the papers by morning.

I was asked whether or not I wanted to post something in regards to it. I'm sure Jeff would have done the same for any other forum member had they passed, as this forum is our community and the only means some of us communicate with one another. Still can't believe he's gone. :-(

Urbanvaquero
Username: Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, no they haven't, but don't let that stand in the way.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3051
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh man, what sad, awful news.
I was hoping that this thread would be some kind of early April fool's joke about him "passing" to a new job.
The forum already seems smaller without him, and to me he was the glue that held FSC together.
Surely, we must do something to honor his memory.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What everyone above said.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am terribly saddened to hear of this news.

Even though i have only been posting a short while, i've been following DetroitYES for quite some time and ItsJeff was one of the posters I admired very much.

My thoughts are with his friends and family, and with all of you who've had the pleasure in enjoying his thoughts and humor here on the forum.
-The Kid

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 529
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never did i have the pleasure of meeting him in person, yet his presence was always felt personally on this forum. his unquestionable dedication intertwined with his quick wit and intelligence was one of a kind. you'll be missed.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so damn sorry. RIP.

Supersport

Post Number: 11281
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Can someone find his last post? Just for memory.

I believe this may have been it. A friend at the Anchor had called him earlier in the day on Thursday, though he never heard back, and he never showed at the Anchor that night.

quote:

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7400
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:41 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
A few brave souls braved the cold, lack of parking and Winter Blast barriers to FSC tonight. By happy coincidence, we bumped into some folks who stopped off after a Synergy meeting. Good to see Sport, Sharmaal, Harmony, VikingKitty and Ms. Americana.

Next week at Anchor Bar.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4056
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think his last post was on Feb 10th.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3654
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish to god this wasn't the thing that brought mne out of retirement...but earth's loss is heavens gain.

We ALL have lost a role model...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is tragic news. :-(
Cheers to a great champion of Detroit.
May he rest in peace in that Motor City in the sky.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He posted a link to the St. Regis on the afternoon of the 14th.

always helpful and wonderfully funny

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2567
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

his last post with "words" was:
Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7405

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:20 pm:

Our passing was so quick that I couldn't think of your real name immediately. I blurted out "Ghetto Butterfly!" I'm sure I looked very sophisticated to the people in the parking lot.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a sad loss for the city of detroit, and the detroitYes community.

i will miss his wit and his photoshops!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a dark cloud looms over west/indian village

rip my man

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God bless. RIP

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 803
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I woke up to this thread... Then I called Cafe. I just can't believe it... ItsJeff was one of the greatest men I have ever known. So friendly, out-going, caring, passionate and a GREAT friend. I will miss him dearly.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2399
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like you Skulker I am coming out of retirement in honor of itsjeff.

I am shocked and saddened. I just spoke with him a couple of days ago on the phone and teased him about something that we both had a good laugh over. I will always think of him fondly and he was so excited to start a new career. This is such a loss to humankind for someone who was such a good man.

Will someone please post funeral arrangements.

Thank you.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 876
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo

Thanks for answering the one question that I have wanted to have answered since I found out.

I feel as though I have lost a family member. I have certainly lost one of my closest friends and someone who left me in this life better than I was before I had the honor of knowing him.

I, my wife, and my son will miss you immensely.......we all still owe you so much. Thank you for being there for me when I needed someone most. Thank you for blessing my life with your friendship and making it just that much brighter. Most of all, thank you being my friend.

RIP Jeff and know that you will be missed

(Message edited by D-Day on February 18, 2007)

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 706
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What terrible news - hard to believe.

I've just typed and re-typed a few things, but all I can really say is that he was extremely kind and warm, intelligent, funny as hell, great ambassador for the city. One of those special people you don't meet the likes of very often. He will be greatly missed.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 769
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not often speechless but this was truly one of the sweetest, most favorite human beings I have encountered on my path and I am truly crushed to think of my life without his brilliance, his sense of humour, and his love and empathy for misfits like me. Jeff, you will continue to be loved and remembered. I am very sad. I hope I have the chance to meet your parents and tell them how much you meant to me and the community you chose to be part of.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 766
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. It just goes to show that "The End" can come at any moment, so live your life as a good person.

He doesn't look much older than me. How old was he?

I remember that he was the first on the forum to congratulate me on being a first-time father.

I've only known ItsJeff through this forum, and I have to say that he's always come across as a rock-solid person. If not for my geographical inability to meet him through forum gatherings, I might have known him better. It seems like the world has lost one of the good guys.

I'm sure he'll be waiting at the 'pearly gates', handing out drink tickets to his friends and family as they follow.

My condolences go out to his friends and family in this difficult time.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 770
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and my dear friend Jelk, whether it was a post on Detroityes or a phone call at the bar on Saturday night, it is shocking news that shakes me to the core. First Doug McIntosh and now our beloved ItsJeff. I have to say that it strikes terror into the heart of this very unhealthy forty something. I am not real happy with my Lord right now. ItsJeff was to me, a kindred misfit spirit, that found comfort in this fucked up town that draws us like moths to the flame. From all different backgrounds we come, open to learn and grow from our interface with each other and I am humbled by the opportunity that I had to be close to Jeff. A truly loving human being who led by example. He will be sorely missed and I hope I can stop feeling sorry for myself long enough to express as much to his family.

Velma
Username: Velma

Post Number: 2819
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a very heavy heart tonight. I tried sleeping, but had no luck, so I decided to turn to the forum that meant so much to Jeff, not to mention the fact that this was the place he turned to when he couldn't sleep. There are no words that I can come up with which come close to describing how wonderful and loving Jeff was. This is such a huge loss. I received the call from his mom earlier tonight. Any of you who know her know where Jeff's shining personality came from. She told me how much Jeff loved his friends and asked me to pass along the arrangements to everyone. There will be a memorial service at the Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home on Tuesday at 3:00pm, located at 46 Williams Street in Pontiac.

Jeff was the glue that kept everyone together. Even those who moved on from the forum were still held together by him. Jeff taught me a great lesson in friendship. This is a lesson that will be with me always and I will never, ever forget him. I just wish that I had one last opportunity to tell him how much he meant to me.

I love you Jeff, and I hope you're making the people upstairs laugh as much as you made me laugh.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Jeff at the forum picnic in 2005. He graciously took me around and introduced me to everyone. I saw him again at one of the FSC meetings at the Well. I was looking forward to going to this week's FSC meeting, since I'm off of work this week, and just assumed that he would be there.

Although I had only met him a few times, the word "ambassador," which has been used by many here, clearly describes Jeff. He was a true "Ambassador of Detroit." He will be missed. My condolences go out to his family and friends.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never met him but it's really sad that he passed away.
RIP,ItsJeff.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 808
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been staring at my keyboard for four hours, trying to write a post that expresses my feelings, but I can't find the right words...

After posting on this forum for five years, I have met some really outstanding people as a result, but Jeff is on the top of that list.

We could spend the next year talking about how much Jeff did for other people, and it wouldn't even scratch the surface.

I will never be able to repay Jeff for his many acts of kindness, but he wouldn't have wanted me to pay it back to him anyway. Having Jeff as a friend was a blessing, and I hope to someday be half the man that he was.

Goodbye, my friend. I will greatly miss you.

(Message edited by erikd on February 18, 2007)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What sad news. I never got to meet him, but he was one of my favorite posters over here. RIP Jeff. Condolences to his family and friends.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember meeting Jeff a few years ago while volunteering to help paint Blondy's dog care and ran into him numerous times at Cafe. He was one of the kindest and most unselfish folks I've met. Not to mention the many laughs Manrooter brought to tired and divisive threads. His dedication to improving Detroit and giving of himself to others is truly a legacy I can only hope to leave. My prayers go out to his family and to all those he touched.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 564
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In memory of Jeff-

Be kind to a stranger.
Call an old friend with whom you've lost contact.
Make somebody laugh.

I miss your emails already, Jeff.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the link for the funeral home in Pontiac. I encourage all to sign the online guestbook once his visitation details have been uploaded. While his body can never be replaced, his family and friends ability to read through the many lives he touched will make his presence that much closer.

http://www.sparksgriffin.com/

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 745
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP Jeff.

You were a funny, witty writer and an example for us all.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4795
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such a shock to wake up to this news.

His genuine kindness, gentleness, and humour will be missed by the many his life touched.

(Message edited by JamS on February 18, 2007)

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP, Jeff. You will be missed.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just met ItsJeff once at The Well and remember him to be funny/witty, gracious to the newbies, and just an all around great guy. He will be missed!

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 684
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, I am profoundly saddened. The city, and the world has lost a great person. What a terrible tragedy. Go with God, Jeff.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a shock to wake up to this news!! Dave and I are deeply saddened to learn of Jeff's passing. We first met Jeff at the Cafe, and he always made a point to say hello whenever we showed up there. He made us feel welcome into what has become more than just an online community, and introduced us to so many fellow Forumers that we are proud to call friends. Jeff had recently made a brave decision to switch careers after 20 years at his old job, and also adopted a new kitty. He had so much to live for!!

Our hearts go out to his mom, his family, and his friends!!! RIP, Jeff. We will never forget you!!

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 915
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just blown away.

No words can say how I feel.

God bless you, Jeffrey.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peace be with you ItsJeff, although we never met you made me smile. To all who knew Jeff personally, what can be said to comfort you? Just keep his memory alive in your heart, think of him and smile.
He once posted this link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =DANkec2NY4w
I book marked it and laugh every time I see it, just an example on how a complete stranger can have an affect on another. God bless Jeff and all who loved him.

Supersport

Post Number: 11282
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too had a really hard time sleeping last night. During that time, another follow forumer called close to 3 am after he received my voicemail. He shared many of the same stories of kindness many of you have, how the reason he came to the Anchor last week was to talk with Jeff, as he wanted to see how he was doing.

I'll never forget the talk I had with Jeff a few years ago at the Forum picnic. We got to talking about organizing the event and how he dished out a good sum of his own money to make it happen. He went on to tell me the following, in the best detail I can recall:

"You don't know how much DetroitYes has meant to me. When I moved to Detroit, I knew very few people and my friends down here were but a handful. After discovering DetroitYes, my friends have multiplied by the 100's. It has made my life so much happier, and that is why I had no problem spending the money for the picnic. Most of my closest friends were people I have met off DetroitYes."

It's strange, as I'm not sure I ever met ItsJeff outside a forum gathering at a bar, a picnic, or occasionally bump into him around town somewhere. I had never been to his house, though he had been to mine a few times. I remember him smiling and saying "Good job Ed, I'm really impressed," the first time he toured my house. When I inquired what he was impressed with, he said "I totally expected the place to be decorated with beer posters and half naked chicks on the walls."

You didn't have to meet Jeff more than once for him to feel like a friend, a close friend at that. His humor and wit never failed to put a smile on your face. He was always concerned about your problems, anything that may be bothering you or on your mind.

Last night I realized, I can't recall the last time I lost a friend. Especially not one that I saw so recently. I am so very thankful I went to Foran's that night, as I nearly turned around and went home when I realized roads were closed for Winter Blast and parking was blocks away. Yet I parked my car and toughed out the bitter cold walk. Now, it will leave me with one last memory, one in which I was able to chat with him one on one, much the same way all of you will have your "I remember the last time I saw Jeff..." almost surely followed by some act of his kindness.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 6 years I never communicated with him in or out of this forum in anyway. However, I feel I knew him. He was a pillar on this forum, and a staple in this community. I hope we all remember the efforts of ItsJeff, and continue to remember his spirit when times are tough.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I had the opportunity to meet Jeff after posting that I lived in West Village. He was very helpful and informative and quick to invite me to the FSC. I attended one, and we were the only two to come so we were able to talk. I came away with the same impression as everyone else, funny, witty, kind hearted guy. Due to my busy schedule, I hadn't been able to attend FSCs since. Great guy, he will be missed.

As his neighbor in West Village, I remember just a few days ago driving by his home and seeing his car and saying to myself, "I should stop by and say hello to ItsJeff", I'm sad to say I didn't.......

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He'd just started a new job, a new beginning. He was so excited about it.

This is just so sad.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, I can't say that i ever met or really conversed with jeff other than a few times on this forum, but given the amount of outpouring and kind words here, it's plain to see that he was a great person and will be missed by many. my thoughts go out to you, his family and friends

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP

Aiw

Post Number: 6168
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still in shock about it. Jeff was probably the kindest most sincere person I've ever met.

He is to thank for many of the personal connections that have been made between member of this forum. I am certain that for most people on this board who have met other forumers in real life, more than likely Jeff was behind it.

He was a great person, with a great sense of humor, and he will be missed greatly by all his friends.

I doubt that there has ever been another member of this forum who has met or connected with so many other members in real life.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 877
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still in such a state of shock....

I was just recently married and my (now) wife and I went through a particularly difficult time. Not only did Jeff help me through that time, but he reached out to my wife to helped her, as well, at a time when we were considering ending our relationship. Jeff barely knew her, yet he knew we shouldn't be breaking up because he could see how happy we both made each other. The end result is that we are now married and both of us are happier than we have ever been. Shortly after we were married in Vegas, because I had moved away to Ohio yet still had a great number of friends in the Detroit area, he insisted that he be able to throw a party for us to give the rest of my family and my friends an opportunity to celebrate with us.

This is the type of giving and genuine person he was and this is but one debt that I will never get a chance to happily repay.
Godspeed, my friend

Lowell

Would it be possible to get a copy of the picture that you posted with him in the Tiger cap? I would like to make on 8x10 out of it and put it in my house. That picture really captures him well and it is that expression that I would like to remember him by. Please let me know here if I don't see you on or before Tuesday.

Thanks
MK

(Message edited by D-Day on February 18, 2007)

Thewack
Username: Thewack

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about this,its always sad when someone passes especially when one is so young and from what I have read here, full of life.
Im sure he is at peace .

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't know what to say.

He was a dear friend, and a neighbor in the truest sense of the word.

I really cannot express anything else except for Lisa, Max, Sam and I will really miss you my friend.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This outpouring exemplifies just how much community Detroityes has helped to build.

R.I.P. Itsjeff.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP, Jeff.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts and prayers are with Jeff's family. You raised the kindest most humane soul I ever had the honor of meeting.

God speed my friend you are loved and you will be missed.

Aiw

Post Number: 6169
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got an e-mail from Cafe who is currently living overseas.

She asked me to post a message on her behalf:

Please let everyone know that they are in my thoughts and prayers. His was the type of friendship we can all learn from. He loved us all.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 276
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even with the anonymity of the internet, you get to know these people after awhile. I'm very saddened of his death. My wishes go out to his friends and family.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 965
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ItsJeff was, to me, synonymous with the positive side of DetroitYes and I always enjoyed his words in various types of posts.

Whenever I saw his name pop up, even in the strangest of threads, I knew it would be good stuff... entertaining, thoughtful, helpful, optimistic and upbeat.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 323
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so sad. he was always a humorist. never met him, but felt like i knew him.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hope to find you/ hope to find you/ when i leave my body…
warm the air/ let me sleep/ awaken again

– Glen Phillips

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a lurker I remember Jeff as the clever Photoshop guy. Some people's personality can't be contained by the anonymity of the Internet, and Jeff had one of those personalities. The last post I read yesterday was his 'Cat Adoption' offer from January and his nephews comments made me laugh.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 790
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the wittiest people I've met...and he was a true catalyst: introductions, smiles and a friendly greeting. Made you feel welcome.
What a shock. I feel so sorry for his family.

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know Jeff, but my deepest condolences to Jeff's family and loved ones.
Rest In Peace.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 459
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truly am amazing outpouring of love and affection, especially from a forum where anonymity appears to be a credo. I had no idea who he was, or much about him except as expressed in his posts, but clearly he must have been special to most of you. May he rest in peace.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This outpouring exemplifies just how much community Detroityes has helped to build.

Actually, I think it exemplifies what a great friend and giving person that itsjeff has been to those of us who have had the pleasure and blessing to befriend him -- be it in the real world or on the net.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 317
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only met Jeff a couple of times during my infrequent visits to Forum gatherings.

He was funny, kind and wanted us to enjoy ourselves, learn from and love one another.

For that, my thanks. Rest well.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 403
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My condolences to all family, friends and forumers.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP Jeff

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is such a tragic loss. Jeff was one of the nicest people I have ever had the chance to meet. Although I did not see him all that often I considered him a good friend. He was always welcoming and greeted everyone with a smile. It will never be the same around here without him.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! This is a total shock.

I met Jeff for the first time at the Forum picnic in 2005 and exchanged emails with him a few times after that. He was an amazing human being and he will be deeply missed.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8397
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shudders and shakes have been building ever since Jams called me this morning...wondering where in the hell I had been.

I am now out-of-control in grief over the loss of my friend. Didn't have the chance to say goodbye...never met anyone quite like Jeff.

The moan that sneaks out refuses to allow a breath, but I know I need the breath.

My heart has been pulled from my chest.

Father asked me what he passed from, all I could say is he lucked out first.

It was bound to happen, us all thinking we'd lucked out...just knowing him. All that luck was just BOUND to come back around for him.

Must find water, losin' too much of it here...

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being relatively new to the forum, I never had the pleasure of getting to know ItsJeff. After reading all of the heart felt posts for him, I feel like I lost a brother. I know, even after being here for such a short time, that the love and respect you shared with him is what makes this family so special, and I am horned to be but a small part of it. RIP Jeff

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9223
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the rest of my days, I will always have a void where this great man was in my heart.

He always greated everyone with a warm smile and a firm shake of the hand (or a hug).

The Lord must need him to take him so early in his life. For that I will not question His wisdom as He knows better than I.

Jeff will never be truly gone. He will always have a place in all of our hearts.

...a splendid journey to Heaven Jeff. Thank you for everything you have done.

God Bless.

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 547
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is devastating. the world's lost one of its sweetest and most genuine souls. this forum has not been the same for some time now, but it will definitely never be the same without Jeff. he is loved and will be sorely, sorely missed.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is really sad. I never met him personally, but he looked like a good guy.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never knew Jeff but remember his name in a lot of topics. That is soo sad to hear. My condolences to friends and family.
Rest in peace and continue to watch over the great city of Detroit Jeff.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3685
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Click Here to continue to the Next Set of Posts