Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » ItsJeff has passed away » ItsJeff has passed away - 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've just been rereading some of the emails Jeff and I exchanged, mostly just sending each other silly photoshops or images that we found on the net.

I'm sorry that we never got the chance to meet in real life.

My condolences to ItsMom and the rest of the ItsColby family.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, wow.

RIP Itsjeff.

You will be greatly missed by many who never even knew you, myself included.

Rokk_krinn
Username: Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never personally met any of you. However, I have checked this site almost daily since around 1998. I feel like I know some of you, and itJeff was one of those people who always had the knack for making me chuckle.

RIP itsJeff... your humor and insight will be sorely missed by this forumer.

(Message edited by rokk_krinn on February 18, 2007)

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 511
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My condolences to the forum. I never met Jeff, but he seemed like a good guy and far too young to go like this. It's sad, but also heartwarming to see all you strangers sharing a moment of solidarity, even if it is for a tragic occasion.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to extend my condolences to ItsJeff's family and friends. The warm remembrances on this forum say so much about the special person Jeff was and the positive effect he had on his fellow Detroiters.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too Feel the Loss, Having never Met any of you, I have Known of Many of you through my years of "peeking" in on this Forum.

The Pics of the Picnic's were such fun,I would read a post and try to Match the people to the comments.

Gumbys pic's above of what I think were AIW's BD in Windsor,were another chance to Learn about Friends.

And of course, Jeff's Photoshop Humor always brought a Smile to this unknown's face.

The Sorrow I feel for this person I've never Met, Shows the way "DetYes" has Impacted us all !

RIP Jeff and Thanks !

(Message edited by Ragtoplover59 on February 18, 2007)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4801
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope someone makes sure Jeff's family is made aware of this thread.

He was a very special human being to have touched so many hearts and his quick and everpresent smile will be missed.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8399
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grief is a distiller.

Let it wash away the negatives and loose ends, melt away the murky mundane memories...then sift through the happy remains.

From the very first time I ever reminded Itsjeff of something he posted that made me smile...to the very last...what I will remember MOST of this kind, solid, joyful, loving, dear beautiful man is that deft shyhunker/aweshucksshrug/slowt urn/devilsgrin/sparkle of his that so naturally deflected the reflection of the sheer pleasure he delivered to us through his electronic alternate personalities.

I miss his oh-so tangible presence echoed here in our ether. There is a fabulous party in heaven tonight, indeed God got back one of His best.

This place remained special in healthy part due to Its' oversight. We, each and every one of us, are different because of this gem of a mere human.

We are all better for knowing this man. I've never known one I could say that about.

Those who say they knew him although they never met are speaking the truth...the facets he was able to air here showed the marvelous man within.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 748
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I never met Itsjeff in person, I am going to miss him more than I can understand why. If his name came up on this forum, I had to read it, because I knew it was positive in one way or another. I was either in for a laugh, or I was about to learn something good.

My condolences to all family, friends and forumers.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 262
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a man is as good as his word. jeff's word was always solid and meaningful. he was a great contributer to this forum and one of the true spirits of detroit. may god be with all of you who have known him and who have loved him.

Urbantiki
Username: Urbantiki

Post Number: 842
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't posted here in years, but I feel the need to say 'goodbye' to Jeff here as well. He was one of my closest friends, and was always available to me and my family. He was one of two people that we ever allowed to babysit for my daughter - and that says as much about him as needed, if pressed.

To those of you that never knew him, I'm truly sorry you were not able to know the man behind all the personas. Intelligent, kind to a fault, caring and loyal, and yes - one of the funniest, wittiest people you'd ever hope to meet.

I reposted a portrait of him that I took a while back. I hope it makes you smile.

http://flickr.com/photos/urbantiki/393681533/

-Bobby

(Message edited by UrbanTiki on February 18, 2007)

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 774
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone commented about how you get to know somebody through their posts without actually meeting him. Jeff was one of those. May God bless his soul, and may his family be comforted by the knoledge of how much he was appreciated here.

Urbantiki
Username: Urbantiki

Post Number: 843
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry - here's the portrait...

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 548
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He made me laugh. God Bless.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't make perfunctory remarks about itsjeff I really did not know him.But to those of you that did, I see you are hurting and just want you to know that I am thinking of you.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP and Godspeed Jeff.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if strangers meet
life begins-
not poor not rich
(only aware)
kind neither
nor cruel
(only complete)
i not not you
not possible;
only truthful
-truthfully,once
if strangers(who
deep our most are
selves)touch:
forever

(and so to dark)

- E.E. CUMMINGS

I'd like to offer my most sincere condolences to Jeff's Family and friends. He was a really good human being, and it's just a shame we don't get to see more of him...in this life. Please know that he made a big difference in his community, and he will be missed VERY much.

-Quinn

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn.Reading above thread and a few of his posts
in the past its clear he was all heart and soul.My prayers go out.
RIP

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 781
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP Jeff and condolences to his family and friends.

I've never met any forumers, but my life is a little better thanks to many of the contributors of this forum, and Jeff in particular. You will be missed.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I share alsodave's thoughts. I have only attended one get-together of the Forum folks and that was a few years ago. So I know very few of you. Yet I am pleasantly surprised over the outpouring for one of your own. It's truly wonderful, even inspiring. There is obvious a great fondness over Jeff, and it appears he is most deserving of your accolades.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3655
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too was one of the folks who often traded EMAILs with Itsjeff. I always loved his acidic wit! He always made me laugh with his funny posts.

God bless you Jeff Colby, you will be sorely missed.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless your soul Jeff Colby. It was a beautiful soul.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff was one of the few cats who could convince me to be social.
I wish I could have said thanks to him.
Damn...

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's such sad, sad news. We were all really lucky to have had Jeff in our lives. He believed in bringing people together, and he believed in the good in people.

Plus he was damn funny!

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad news indeed; a man that could bring common sense to chaotic discussion, his wisdom and insight will truly be missed. My heart goes out to his family and friends….God bless you ItsJeff.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4848
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff Colby spent the time to give jjaba an Eastside tour. It took some coaxing but he made jjaba feel comfortable. His downtown walking tours were amazing. He knew every block, every corner.

Itsjeff's Yiddischkeit sense of humor tickled us all and his advocacy for Cafe de-troit was amazing. Of his age group, there are few so commited to Detroit. He organized Cass Park pick-up drives because he was offended by defacing public places downtown. He wasn't afraid to roll us his sleeves, nor invest his money by living in Detroit.

We are all very sad and I'm very sad today.
He is one of a handful of members I've met on the Forum who sincerely showed their love to jjaba. RIP.

jjaba.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 798
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff was the only forumer I ever emailed directly. I live in CA, but as a former West Villager I felt a kinship with him, and I was sad the he was not at the one and only FSC outing that I attended a couple of years ago.

RIP

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 291
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff's bio has updated on the funeral home website along with funeral visitation info. His parents, Nancy and Rich, family and friends no doubt would enjoy our thoughts via the online guestbook.

http://www.sparksgriffin.com/

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 677
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been reading this all day and still can't find the words to express how sad Jeff's passing has made me. Just last weekend I ran into him without realizing it at first which made me miss him. I was deep in thoughts and oblivious to my environment when I heard "Ghetto Butterfly". I thought did somebody just really say that and when I turned around I saw him getting into his car. I thought Never mind, we will meet again. Turns out sadly so that it would have been the last time to give him a hug and exchange some words with him. I remember once telling him that he was so galant and gentlemen-like, he was born a century too late.

God bless your sweet soul, Jeff. We lost a great human being.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My deepest condolences to family and friends of ItsJeff. He certainly had a great impact on those who read this forum. We have lost a special member of our group.

And Detroit has lost a positive voice and tireless champion. I hope we can honor him by making our city a better place, each in our own way.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 853
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff was one of only a couple people I've met in my life that everybody liked and nobody disliked. I'm lucky to have met him a handful of times, and will miss him and his posts.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 285
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know him personally but I enjoyed reading his post. RIP and I would like to bid him a formrunner farewell. 313

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lurk here more often than post, but I always enjoyed how Itsjeff could soften the most hostile thread with a photoshoped photo or two.

God Bless and RIP

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 644
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only 42 yo!? That's a damn shame! I know I've traded messages with him on here.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The several times I attended FSC evenings, Jeff made me feel welcome. When I helped with Cass Park clean-ups, Jeff made me feel appreciated. When I would read his posts, Jeff usually made me smile. He will be missed.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5525
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will miss you Itsjeff. Danny, Ghettoman and Street Prophets salute you.

Brian_no_5
Username: Brian_no_5

Post Number: 305
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff was someone I was always happy to see. To me, he seemed always to be smiling, always ready with a joke, and always, always capable of making a deadpan retort as though reading from a script. He was so obviously intelligent and such a gentleman, yet his humor could run the gamut from intellectual to manrooter. I loved him for that – his ability to cut like a razor using the dull blade of crass references – and I secretly wished I could be even half as witty as he was. I knew I could never be as kind.

I loved that he made me feel welcome wherever we happened to meet. To say the least, I have not been an extrovert over the past few years, yet he overlooked the fact that I misplaced dates or wasn’t a reliable poster or forum social event attendee and continued to invite me to the party. I would have deemed me unworthy, but Jeff opened his home.

I’ll live to regret not making the effort to spend more time with people like Jeff Colby. I already do. You don’t meet a Jeff Colby every day of the week. You are lucky if you meet one once a year or even once in your life. There are many fine people in this city and then there are the precious few like Jeff who touch and inspire people in a way they will later cherish. (As I reread that sentence, I chuckle, remembering how he might have delightfully twisted such a string of words on the forum.) I am lucky to have met someone like him.

Thank you, Jeff. I’ll miss you.

-- Brian

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 925
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just signed the guestbook and am now crying. It's so nice to see that his online family has shown such love (he always showed us love). Lowell, has a donation via paypal been set up so we can donate and send flowers or make a contribution in his name to an organization? Could you oversee this if it's possible. I know many of us would contribute.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 598
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best way to continue his legacy would be to carry the torch of the FSC. He would want that to flourish and bring more people together.

Rest in Peace, itsJeff. You will not be forgotten.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 195
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not have the good fortune of meeting Jeff, but I know that reading his posts on here would brighten any day. I don't know how many times I'd go to one of the computer labs between classes in a bad mood only to leave with a smile after seeing one of his photoshops. To the many on here who knew him and called him friend, my thoughts and heart go out to you and his family. Rest in peace, Jeff.

Andy

(Message edited by andyguard73 on February 18, 2007)

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 851
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rest in peace, Itsjeff. I wish I had met you in person, but even viewing you through the peephole of an online forum, we could all see that you were a person of great character.

Rambler
Username: Rambler

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't ever post anymore, but I did meet Jeff at the Forum Picnic in 2005 and I remember him introducing me to everyone. He was about the first person there, I think, ready to start everything up. I can see from these posts that he was all that and much more.
RIP

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in shock.
I've never met Jeff personally, but I always enjoyed his posts and I will miss him.
God bless you, Jeff! Rest in peace.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff obviously touched a lot of people in a positive manner during a life that was cut short.
We should all be so fortunate to have such nice things said about us when we go meet our maker.
There's a life lesson in there somewhere, maybe in the "Do Unto Others" category. RIP.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a swell person. Jeff should've been here much longer and I am going to cry now.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 487
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Jeff by accident during a community event. He mentioned this forum to me and I'm very thankful for that. He did some volunteering in various aspects with Detroit STAR Inc. and his input is one of the greatest things that ever happened to our organization.

He was a GREAT person that I will never forget. I never got the sense that there was a bad bone in his body.

Heaven became a much more friendly place with the addition of ItsJeff.

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on February 18, 2007)

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on February 19, 2007)

Maryellen22471
Username: Maryellen22471

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my condolences to itsjeff's family and friends.

RIP ItsJeff

Gannon

Post Number: 8400
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like everyone to stop a moment and scroll back through the comments on this thread.

Just look at post times.

This is the loveliest thread progression of all time, we have been IN LINE, each sharing our piece of Itsjeff back through our shock.

He is in another level entirely, according to some able to perceive what we're going through here. I would like to believe that, and imagine him smiling down on us even now.

Bye Jeff. Thanks. Damn Big Shoes to Fill.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 671
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the time a person reaches a certain age, the kind of person they are, and have been, shows on their face. I did not know Jeff, but I know what I see in those photos, and my condolences go to all of you who were lucky enough to have known him.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good observation Gannon, its almost a vigil for our friend Jeff.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such sad news, he was so young, too soon to leave this world.

I always loved to read his post. What a sense of humor!

Rest in Peace, Jeff.

Doctors
Username: Doctors

Post Number: 710
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I don't think I ever interacted with him directly, on this forum, many of his funny post and thread topics put a smile on my face.

May itsJeff, Rest In Peace.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 342
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that's really sad. :-(

I didn't know him personally, but he was always really nice here on the forums, and from what everyone's saying here he was a really great guy off the forums too.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3656
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although we may or may not find out what caused Jeff's passing, I do remember him posting back in December that he would post later because he had to leave for an appointment to have a brain scan done. I later posted on that thread (can't remember which one)... that I hoped he was OK, but he never responded back.

It's kinda like we are all here together right now at a cyberspace wake, talking to each other about how he has touched each of our lives in different ways.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was out of town for the weekend and just saw this. So sorry to hear this news. What a shock...

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is a testament to itsJeff and to a spirit that we must carry on in his honor.
rest in peace!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8357
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thw world and city lost a great one.

I think the bigest tribute anyone of us can make to itsjeff is to try to model our lives after his and make the world and city a better place everyday of our lives.

Velma
Username: Velma

Post Number: 2820
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just informed that there is a typo on the funeral home website. There is NO In-state at 2:00pm, but the memorial service IS at 3:00pm.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to those of you who feel like you never "knew" jeff...you can see, although his name may one day fade, his influence will never disappear.

to jeff's friends - it's true, a person's life is not measured in years - but by the words and deeds for which they're known. i met jeff only once, but i remember him for his big smile, his eagerness to see people meet each other and have fun, and - that something inside him that just seemed to see a little bit of a joke in everything.

to jeff's family - the effect jeff had upon the world around him surely must bring you great pride, and speaks volumes about those who raised him, and taught him life's lessons.

may we all remember jeff for what he best exemplified, and demonstrate it in our own lives.

God bless.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4849
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to Belleislerunner for the connection to the funeral home. It is wonderful to read the many notes sent to their site guestbook for the family. Many of the notes are from Forum friends.

This is a terrible loss for us and humanity.
jjaba.

Msamericana
Username: Msamericana

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For sure one of the friendliest forumers around, and even though I rarely post, he always remembered who I was when he saw me. Bless you, Jeff, and I hope you're at peace.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had often considered going to an FSC meetup, but being uncomfortable in social situations, I always made excuses to myself to not go. After reading all your kind words about him, it sounds like my fears of being uncomfortable were unfounded, and he would have made me felt as if I always belonged. I feel I have suffered a great loss for not knowing him.

I will try even harder to make it down to the FSC this week, in his memory.

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gonna miss that dude...great, warm, funny guy who welcomed me to the FSC with open arms. Lot's of good times at LJ's and The Well.

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will miss reading his posts. He had such a great sense of humor and a real love for the City of Detroit. My condolences to all his family and friends

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without this forum, many of us would not have met (in the ether or in real life) Jeff.
The reaction of the members demonstrates how this forum is a real community. Lowell, you should be proud of that. It also demonstrates the respect we have for Jeff.

RIP Jeff, and I pray your family has the support to get through this tough period.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has taken me a long to time decide what I wanted to say here, and to be honest, I still don't know what to say. I'm grateful for Jeff for his friendship, his witty sense of humor and his love of Detroit. I'm grateful that he made me feel welcome at my very first FSC meeting which is why I kept coming back and have met some of the most wonderful and caring people I've known. I will miss him greatly and my sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My condolences to Jeff's family. I never met Jeff in person, but some people on forums come shining through. Rest in Peace big guy...you will always be special.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 486
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Through his death we see the true value of this forum and the power of us all.

May his spirit be at rest.

It is very tragic to see such a young person leave us so soon.

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher had a wonderful suggestion; is there not something we can do in Jeff's honor, send flowers, or make a donation in his memory to some organization or cause he cared about? i would definitely like to make a contribution, monetary or otherwise, if something can be arranged.
thanks to everyone who posted pictures.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like many others, I find this hard to believe. Could not imagine his energetic posts ending so suddenly.

Itsjeff, thank you for your correspondence.

My condolences to Jeff's family and friends.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4229
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I won't make perfunctory remarks about itsjeff I really did not know him.But to those of you that did, I see you are hurting and just want you to know that I am thinking of you.

CL, I know I am not alone among Jeff's friends in this thought but thank you. Your comments are among the most thoughtful and selfless from people who didn't know Jeff.

"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl." - H.L. Mencken

Gannon

Post Number: 8401
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silly me, thought today was going to be easier.

Gentle Giant of a Mere GentlePerson...ONE of the few things consistently good about Detroit has been removed. It was always a treat to bump into Jeffrey, whether it was during lunch at Cafe de Troit, or at some evening function...that HE was usually at the core of, what a magnetic force of nature we've lost.

The Memorial Day Picnic will be forever altered in his honor. I hope that the same mix of people at his service tomorrow will blend together in Memorial to launch the summer this year and those hence, however many Memorial Days we get to celebrate together in this town on this earth.

This year the bandshell comes to life, if they'll let us.

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the headlined Free Press article before I actually made the connection.

Jeff "ItsJeff" Colby is proof that people can affect lives of others that they haven't even met.

His knowledge and love for this city and life has surely helped instill pride in his fellow forumers and fellow citizens.

Much is due to those that make positive impacts in this world.

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 596
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Click Here to Continue to Next Set of Posts >>