Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » ItsJeff has passed away » Honoring the Memory of ItsJeff « Previous Next »
> In response to many requests and with the encouragement of ItsJeff's family this thread is dedicated to creating a memorial for ItsJeff and acccepting donations for that purpose.
> An Online Donation Form has been created. Click HERE to go there.

> To read about ItsJeff and leave memories and messages of condolence, please post on the "ItsJeff has passed away" thread.
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3700
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been much discussion on and offline and with the family about the forum getting together to make a gesture in honor of ItsJeff. In fact someone sent me an unsolicited $25 check already to start a fund.

I thought I would start this thread to get your and the family's ideas about what to do.

After talking with some of the family we thought it best to be a one time permanent reminder.

Throw out your ideas. I will shortly create a PayPal donation link dedicated to this effort and post the link and donations received here.

Itsjeffs_aunt
Username: Itsjeffs_aunt

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all of you who have allowed us to know how many lives Jeff touched. He will be missed so much as a son, nephew and cousin, but we had no idea that he had so many friends. We are very interested in solidifying and contributing to some tangible way to commemorate Jeff. Your ideas so far have been great and we are interested in having the discussion continue and together with you, making a decision and then making it happen.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3701
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A "Make a Donation Honoring the Memory of ItsJeff" PayPal donation portal is now active.

Click HERE if you wish to donate now.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 933
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Riverwalk brick is a fine idea. Just made my donation via paypal! Welcome to the forum Jeffs Aunt!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9245
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am President of the Board of Director's for Gateway Public Park. See link below (it has to be updated)...

http://www.gatewaypublicpark.com/index.html

I am going to propose putting a bench with Jeff's name and birthdate engraved on it, and have it face Detroit.
He loved Detroit and he loved people, this way anyone can sit and view the Detroit skyline while engaged in conversation (maybe even meet new friends). This, I believe, will be a lasting tribute to a man who enjoyed parks (Cass Park Cleanup and Belle Isle) and people.
If everyone decides to do something else (this is solely my idea) and there are some funds left, would anyone disagree if those extra funds were used to help pay for this bench?
The cost to do something like this is approx. $300-400CDN.
As I stated, I was going to pay for it myself (which may take some time) but I could get it started faster if anyone else wanted to contribute.

(Message edited by GOAT on February 26, 2007)

Itsjeffs_aunt

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like both ideas posted so far, the brick and the bench. Also, it would be nice for Jeff to be remembered in a few spots around Detroit. I would support both if enough money comes in and as a family member, I would be delighted to contribute to both and encourage other family members to do the same. If there are additional ideas, keep them coming. If not, can we agree to these two and get moving on both? Time seems to be important while the memory of Jeff and the warmth he emanated remains fresh. Thanks to you all.

Karen Colby Weiner

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 801
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an out of state forumer, I have not been to any of the picnics. Have they been at the same place on Belle Isle?

How about planting a tree at the site?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8426
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call, Sknutson, that we can do as well...during the next picnic.

It has been on the same spot in the same time, Memorial Day Sunday...noonish...at the first picnic site south of the fountain (if memory serves before the caffeine hits).

Thanks for the suggestion. Who knows what red tape can possibly get in the way of this idea?!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4841
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Give the Gift of Life

Honor those who have touched your life with a gift that will bring beauty to Detroit's neighborhoods.

The Greening of Detroit's Memorial Tree Program gives you a unique way to pay homage to a special person. Your gift allows The Greening to plant a tree in a grove to honor a friend or family member who has made a difference in your life.

A memorial grove site will be selected in the year your gift is made. Groves may located in parks, school yards, boulevards, and major thoroughfares througout Detroit.

Each honoree, or a member of their family will receive an invitation to the planting event, and a personalized certificate commemorating your gift. A permanent marker bearing the honoree's name will be installed at the planting site.

I had thought planting a tree in West Village might be a possibility.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the tree idea, too!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3080
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps those of us who don't do paypal can just mail a check?

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3707
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PayPal is merely a portal. You can donate via all major credit cards. Just scroll below the part where it asks for your PayPal account [and tries to get you to sign up] and you will see the opportunity to make donations via any major card account.

It will say "Don't have a PayPal Account?"
"Use your credit card or bank account".

I am going to add that note to the donation page to prevent confusion. If possible I would like to avoid snail mail and the trip to the bank etc. However if that is your only way please contact me to make arrangements.

Gannon

Post Number: 8453
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will contact you and make arrangements.

We TRUE conspiracy theorists don't do electronic 'money'.

Actually, electrons are not tangible enough for me to notice, I barely recognize cash!

Certainly, being cash-only has kept my debt to a somewhat manageable level!

Itsjeffs_aunt

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that Jeff's mom plans to fund the next picnic so the additional idea of the tree is a great one. I believe she will be very grateful. Are we in agreement that three things will be done, the brick, the bench and the tree?

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tree is a great idea, but a young tree planted on Belle Isle will require care that it will not receive. Jams's idea will probably ensure that the tree will grow and thrive.

I also know Jeff really liked the small park in West Village on. . . Vernor? There is a small stone archway there.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/95244.html?1172631 442

Gannon

Post Number: 8455
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, is she up for a fight?! Heh.

Has the committee been formed yet on this matter? Yanno, we're going to need at least ten people to fill his shoes.

Anyone even know where to go to reserve the spot? That should happen immediately.

When that happens, I'd like information on the use of the band shelter...no electricity necessary, nor security, just an understanding what we can and cannot do on that stage during our picnic.

Gannon

Post Number: 8457
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumble,

Do not underestimate the number of us who frequent the island!

Cheers!

Bumble

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if you're volunteering to water it regularly, Gannon, it's a great idea.

Gannon

Post Number: 8462
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would gladly share some of my bottled Pi water while jogging...pouring some out for my homie, as it were.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 991
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only because ItsJeff would ask, Gannon, how do you pronounce "Pi"?

East_detroit

Post Number: 992
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donation made. I volunteer to help water the tree if its on Belle Isle.

Bumble

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am posting this for Jim Young:

quote:

The picnic planning is underway and the permit has been taken care of. Everyone needs to be patient and further details will be forthcoming. No one will be left out.

Planning the picnic is something Jeff's closest friends would like to do on his behalf, and it would be nice if everyone would allow them to do so.

Just because it isn't posted here doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4847
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks

Gannon

Post Number: 8476
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bumble, sorry Jmy8...I went to the new Ephs for dinner and got caught up in a Histeric whirlwind tour and lost my mind for a while...never got to post that from you. UGH.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for setting this up Lowell!

My suggestion would be to go ahead with some sort of tribute through the riverfront conservancy.

I can't imagine that Jeff would not want a tribute to go, in at least some measure, to a project highlighting the city he loved. And what better way than to have a bench, stone or brick to sit on or stand near and think of Jeff while experiencing a new city treasure (the riverfront walk) that he, in some way, had a part in helping make happen.

I know that everytime I bike, walk, jog or rollerblade past this memorial I'll think of Jeff...isn't that what we're going for? To help keep his spirit alive?

Since the riverfront is being built now and they're looking for money for just such a thing, it seems like a great fit. I'm not adverse to other suggestions though...just piping in here.

Itsjeffs_aunt

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should have enough money to follow up with all ideas presented. I know more contributions will be forthcoming. Also, I think Quinn makes a great point. Do we know what a bench at the riverfront would cost? In addition to planning the picnic, it is most appropriate that Jeff's friends from this website do the selecting, planning etc. for the way we honor Jeff.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9282
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Windsor side, I believe that I can get it done for cost (about $300.00). As soon as I find out (give me a few days please) I will let you all know the actual cost.

(Message edited by GOAT on March 11, 2007)

Itsjeffsmom
Username: Itsjeffsmom

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love all of the ideas, and if we don't have
enough money donated I'll make up the difference.
I want all of you to know how much I appreciate
your suggestions and donations. Your generosity
of spirit, ideas and money continue to amaze me
as I see them repeated over and over again. You
rock Bumble, Jams, Gannon, Goat- all of you
who have taken an interest in this memorial for
itsjeff. God bless you all.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4245
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has it been decided how this fund will be spent? I think pavers and trees are a nice memorial but after the first paver they sort of lose their meaning.

I wonder if we can do something of more substance as well. Perhaps a donation in Jeff's memory to the Triangle Foundation. I know that was an organization Jeff supported in life and Jeff Montgomery even attended the memorial. A contribution to help the work of an organization Jeff believed in would be an appropriate way to memorialize him.

Just a thought.

Gannon

Post Number: 8583
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that was a given...good mention to remind, though. Sorry I didn't get to meet him.

You get the chance, Jelk, send me an e-mail...

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 946
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Jams. Planting a tree in WV through Greening of Detroit is a good idea. But really they are all good ideas.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any updates on the progress?

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: