Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » State of the City Address » Kwame Killpatrick « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well........

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5223
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EDIT

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 13, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5619
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's Black KING did a very mature job with his State of City address. He urges all Detroiters and Suburbanites to stand up and fight for your communities.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4134
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Kwame bust ass?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He will when Jelani and Jalil come in and tell him that they're taking over.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 758
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was a pretty good speech. Very strong points about the neighborhoods. As with anything the follow through is the most important.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is us, killing us. This is mostly African-Americans killing African-Americans and we, as a community, have to stop it now. Nobody's coming to save us."

Wow - that was heavy...

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to channel 4 for broadcasting the whole thing. Channel 7 interrupted with regular news and channel 2 had some other BS on.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2760
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and channel 2 had some other BS on.

So, according to your own words, what was the other BS in addition to that other BS from channel 2?

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

c'mon sekou... we gotta stick together to make Detroit what it used to be like. Considering the
age group for those present... isn't that the 60's?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 597
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed. My apologies Long_in_the_tooth, unity we shall have. Wasn't that part of what the current Mayor was calling for anyway?

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can add all the police they want, but if you don't have jails to put the perpetrators in does it really solve anything.

I say this because the number of cells available was nearly cut in half when the dept. went to districts. The city passed years ago a millage for upgraded police stations and a central jail. Where is this millage money being spent?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2761
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back when Detroit had a larger police department, I along with several others have stayed around as witnesses to three (for me) hit-and-run accidents in SW Detroit which never had responses. All three of them were near the grocery where I shopped, so I did my shopping first and returned all three times--still no Detroit police response to those. I checked later with others afterwards and was told they never ever showed up.

I'm not impressed with that part of the speech because the DPD is not doing the job. I realize that triage must be a factor as far as responses go. So, why should things get better when the police numbers get to where they were and they still couldn't do the job back then? And the smarter criminals surely know this.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.waynecounty.com/cle rk/docs/proposal11022004k.pdf

2004 Public Safety Proposal

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the freep board on this speech. It got really ugly really fast.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 361
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fought for the cities of Livonia and Detroit to save SMART.

But, I needed Kwame's help and wrote to him to come to city hall.

He never showed up.

I just don't understand why because I really care very much about Detroit and want them to have good bus service.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Check out the freep board on this speech. It got really ugly really fast."
Tis true about the freep but I give Kwame credit for calling out the residents of Detroit to stop blaming the so called outsiders and take control of their homes & neighborhoods. Detroiters must seize control of their city and not tolerate crime & blight.
There aren't waves of suburbanites swooping down on Detroit to ruin it.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5224
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, they swooped out long time ago (taking the wealth with them) to start that ball rolling, and then, subsequent generations kept pushing it down the hill. lol It's really criminal neglect, that can be just as damaging as aggressive abuse, by the entire metro area including a significant portion of those that live there.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 14, 2007)

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overall I think a good speech. Great in the beginning, then it lagged near the end.

I'm proud that he said a few harsh remarks to Granholm. I think she could use a kick in the pants right now...or a jump-start. I voted for her and support her, but she seems to be pooping out a bit.

I'm also proud that he made the point that Detroit's succes will now carry the state. Not that it hasn't been said for years (that Detroit is important to the state economy), but seeing a successful and vibrant Detroit as the solution, or even first step to a solution, to the state's current woes is in my opinion correct.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Back when Detroit had a larger police department, I along with several others have stayed around as witnesses to three (for me) hit-and-run accidents in SW Detroit which never had responses. All three of them were near the grocery where I shopped, so I did my shopping first and returned all three times--still no Detroit police response to those. I checked later with others afterwards and was told they never ever showed up. "

DPD does not respond to car accidents unless a serious injury is reported.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2773
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh! Hit-and-runs may be felonies. So the police don't bother with some felonies? Who makes the choice? The big incompetent Bully of a "cop?"

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dispatcher.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8540
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Duh! Hit-and-runs may be felonies. So the police don't bother with some felonies? Who makes the choice? The big incompetent Bully of a "cop?"

In addition how many hit and runs are people that are drunk, high, wanted, possess guns, etc.

My money says that a hit and run would usually have additional crimes associated with the hit and run or the person.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2775
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a strange case yesterday or today where some rented truck was weaving in and out of traffic somewhere near the Airport. The cop tried to stop the person, but he ran. Eventually he was stopped with four jurisdictions in pursuit miles away on Hwy 14 in Plymouth Twp.

The truck carried 800 to 1000 pounds of wrapped marijuana.

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Detroit is ever going to have another white mayor within the next 20 years we'd better start grooming this kid for the race:

http://www.ohionewsnow.com/?se c=news&story=sites/10tv/conten t/pool/200703/1583692309.html

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: