Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Detroit is Making a Major Comeback « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys notice something about what's happening? Time's repeating itself. Soul Music is returning, fads are coming back, heck like now, the folks from the 1900s were fleeing the exburbs and farmlands for inner city life. Detroit had it's biggest blossom during the early 1900s and now one is brewing for the early 2000s. So it's very probable that Detroit will become a world class city again like it was through half to three quarters of the 1900s.

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 17, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, ignore my Grammar for the title, I meant to say WILL.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 191
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though Detroit city has the largest number of building permits issued of any community in the entire state, I don't think it's so much that exurbanites are fleeing into the city. The heightened foreclosure rate out there means they're leaving the state. Detroit's exurbs are not sustainable. It's going to take more than little trickles of movement to get Detroit rolling again. It's going to be a never ending project really. Because once Detroit is healthy again: 10, 20, 50, 75 years from now, the effort is going to remain to sustain it. The exurbs can not be sustained. They compromise urbanity with the rural. Ironically, the same thing touches reality with Detroit: see todays detnews article about urban farms.

Happy sustaining!! :-)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 511
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About time.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LEASE APARTMENTS IN DOWNTOWN DETROIT. 2005 WE PUT OUT A BUNCH OF PEOPLE. EVEN THOUGH VACANCY IS HIGHER, THE TRAFFIC COMMING IN SUDDENLY HAS BECOME WAY MORE DIVERSE.THEY SEE WAYS HAPPENING. A PHOENIX IS HAPPENING, PEOPLE ARE WALKING DOGS, PACKING BARS AT HAPPY HOUR LOTS ARE LIVING DOWNTOWN OR DOWNTOWN ADJACENT,CORK TOWN,WOODBRIDGE,LAFFIETTE PARK,RIVER TOWN,BRUSH PARK,MIDTOWN...

Urbanize

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Though Detroit city has the largest number of building permits issued of any community in the entire state, I don't think it's so much that exurbanites are fleeing into the city. The heightened foreclosure rate out there means they're leaving the state. Detroit's exurbs are not sustainable. It's going to take more than little trickles of movement to get Detroit rolling again. It's going to be a never ending project really. Because once Detroit is healthy again: 10, 20, 50, 75 years from now, the effort is going to remain to sustain it. The exurbs can not be sustained. They compromise urbanity with the rural. Ironically, the same thing touches reality with Detroit: see todays detnews article about urban farms.

Happy sustaining!!"

I knew this issue would come up. I should of said people would invest in the innner city like they did in the 1900s. Back then, it was because of the Industrial boom now it's ecause of a technological boom. It will take time as the city in the 1900s didn't really sustain itself until the mid century. None the less, it is coming.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 708
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

heck like now, the folks from the 1900s were fleeing the exburbs and farmlands for inner city life

Last time checked more people were moving out city than in

quote:

Detroit had it's biggest blossom during the early 1900s and now one is brewing for the early 2000s.

The economy back then was booming for city it's not today. Our primary industry is in the dumps and there little evidence that anything is brewing to replace it

quote:

So it's very probable that Detroit will become a world class city again like it was through half to three quarters of the 1900s.

You have a crystal ball? I'm hoping for a turn around too, but without a major change in our economy none of this is remotely probable. There's no telling in next 5-10 years where we will be. Optimism is fine ,but it's best tempered by reality.

(Message edited by eric on March 17, 2007)

Rocket_city

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certainly.

The history of cities is much more complex than that however. In Detroit's case, the city being one of industry, it's factories were built "vertically" so that people, jobs, and commerce were dense and well connected. The term for this is agglomeration. It was more suitable to have things close together in the 1900s because there was little technology and the mobility of people was restricted to mass transit (as opposed to the personal automobile today).

A big turning point in Detroit's history occurred after WWII when suburban home construction boomed. People moved there not only because there was more room (higher quality of life), but because the massive national highway expansion occurred. This is important because now industry, warehouses and commerce could leave their cramped "vertical" structures in the city and build new "horizontal" once at freeway interchanges near the new populations in the suburbs. Automobiles became more popular, mass transit was dismantled, and people could become more independent and live wherever they wanted. Agglomeration became more of a matter of strategy and market response than it did to remain close and connected in the inner city.

Today's changing market is obviously one of a global size. Technology is so advanced that even though it matters where companies and jobs settle/develop, they have access to information and mobility at greater proportions. This is why a lot of people rightfully criticize Comerica for abandoning the city. The fact that they have mere instant access to both the Detroit (Midwest) and Dallas (South) markets shouldn't justify them choosing Dallas over Detroit after 150 years of drastic historic change that I very briefly discussed above.

So, while you make good points, Urbanize, I think there is a lot more depth that can be taken on what will really bring people to the city. I think you're absolutely right in that technology will play a large part in that, especially since most people that begin the come-back process are going to be people with education, common sense and a natural connection to the urban environment. Quality human capital that technology is drawn to and spawned from.

But the city is not for everyone, and suburban locations have strong assets as well (the Woodward Corridor). Those places can hold their own as we diversify our economy into the 21st century, but the important thing is that both sides realize that we need one another in order to compete globally. Most other regions have accepted this and are able to move on and progress. Unfortunately, 8 Mile is still that imaginary moat in some peoples' minds.

The influx of people into the greater downtown area over the past few years is one way to get over that. Their presence exposes more and more people to Detroit, and even though they don't have to live here, these people are creating the back-and-forth flow that we need to churn a regional relationship. One that is so strong that when someone says "Detroit", it means 5 million people with a common interest rather than 880,000 left to die.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 427
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One that is so strong that when someone says "Detroit", it means 5 million people with a common interest rather than 880,000 left to die.

Rocket, that is simply wow. Seriously. You should be writing speeches with that kind of skill. Never thought I'd be moved by something on the DY! boards.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I was moved to visit the barf-bowl after reading Rocket_city's post.

"....rather than 880,000 left to die" is using a whole lote of poetic license, don't you think? Come on, you'd think the inhabitants of this city are totally helpless and that there has been absolutely no assistance provided them by anyone at the local, state or Federal levels.

Furthermore, that recounting of "A big turning point in Detroit's history...." is a whole lot of bunk. The truth is that a turning point occurred around 1930 after which the population growth rate of Detroit has been continually lower than that of Oakland, Macomb and the non-Detroit portion of Wayne Counties. By then, low-density residential development had leapfrogged the industrial areas that had been located at the edge of the turn-of-the-century Detroit. In the mid to late 1930's, new manufacturing facilities had to locate in the rural townships like Warren, where the current Chrysler Truck Plant on Mound Rd. began making vehicles in 1937. More plants were soon built in the semi-rural areas of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb county, long before Dec. 7, 1941. Construction of new single-family housing in those areas soon followed to meet the demands by workers who wished to live closer to their jobs. The start of WW II put an abrupt end to new single-family housing construction, but new multiple-family housing developments were built in some of these places by the Federal Division of Defense Housing. After Pearl Harbor, the tremendous need for additional war materiel caused the construction of many new mfg. plants in the "suburbs". When the war ended, pent-up demand caused additional new single-family construction to resume at a greater rate than before the war. Prior to the mid 1950's, all of this housing and industrial growth occurred without the benefit of any "massive national highway expansion" and "freeway interchanges", save whatever effect the Willow Run expressway may have had on the western Wayne County suburbs.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike G: The above text which you panned as being BS--penned by a jet setter--is what older, mostly retired school teachers and older people in general would label as revisionist "history"--usually made-up stuff so as to fit whatever desired rhetoric of the moment.

It is somewhat ironic that much of metro Detroit is returning to something not far distant from the semirural status they had less than a century ago.

I read an article online two weeks ago written about American cities from a European POV. Its chief premise was the American downtowns of the late 1800s and early 1900s were creatures of accident and their times and were predominately American in nature. Europe doesn't have American types of downtowns, although the New Urbanists (out of their general ignorance) would most likely disagree. Older European cities evolved to their current state and were not extensively planned by so-called urban planners.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on March 17, 2007)

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not creating optimistic pipe dreams for greater downtown, just listing everything thats comming

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you guys need smelling salts.
Try living in some of the neighborhoods.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so maybe the turning point happened around 1930 and not 1945. That doesn't really defeat most of the points in Rocket_city's post -- the main point being that the massive movement toward low-density living throughout the 20th century has mostly played itself out, and that some who have the choice will want to return to more of an urban life in the years ahead. This movement back will probably not be as large or significant as the original movement out (which is where I disagree with people like Arthur Koestler), but it will be there nonetheless.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 704
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ok, so maybe the turning point happened around 1930 and not 1945. That doesn't really defeat most of the points in Rocket_city's post...

Rocket_city's assertion was that Detroit's "turning point" was a suburban housing boom enabled by the post-WW II "massive national highway expansion" program (no mention was made of 1945). The "massive national highway" program really did not get going until the mid 1950's and in Detroit's case, didn't get extended out to the suburbs until the early 1960's. Furthermore, the housing boom was not the cause of the "turning point", it was Detroit's inability to provide suitable sites for new mfg. plants within the city limits during the late 1930's and 40's and the suburban housing boom was the resulting effect.

I don't think that leaves very much validity in Rocket_city's post - the alleged "turning point" was attributed to an erroneous set of cause and effect plus it was off by something like 25 years (~1963 - 1937 = 25).

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name of this site should be SuburbsSuck.com. Every damn thread on here seems to get around to blaming the suburbs for something.

The 67 riots were disastrous for the city as were the Coleman Young years. Those 2 things contributed to the expansion of the suburbs more than any of you know.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kidding Paul, over 95 percent of Detroiters still live outside the CBD. These have been largely ignored under both Mayors Kilpatrick and Archer.

Fewer bulk pick ups mean more trash, yet an additional $300 assessment was levied to pay for bulk pick up.

I have not seen evidence of a street sweeper on my street in about ten years.

Number of police stations and community/rec centers have been cut in half.

Drug peddelers have taken over dammed near every corner of the city.

As far as I can tell the Department of Administrative hearings is a loose cannon, you hear of them making targeted sweeps writing tickets for certain things, yet other offenses are ignored. If you try calling them, they will tell you to call some other department, and that department will tell you it is DAH's job.

Just because downtown has become more yuppieized, it does not mean that the City as a whole is improving.

For those of you buying $300-$400k condos downtown, good luck selling them once your abatement goes away and property taxes jump to $20,000 a year. You're going to lose your asses.

Personally I'd welcome the Coleman Young days back. At least he balanced the books and opened neighborhood facilities.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on March 18, 2007)

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on March 18, 2007)

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, i'm sold

I talked to my fianc'e today, and we decided to move back to the city after we get married next summer 2008.

The the funny part of this story is.

It's your fault!! Yes your fault! Everyone who post's to this thread.

My intent was to move further out in northern Macomb and purchase a larger piece of land to build a house on.

That was until I started reading and posting on this site. For 6 years now i've had it in my mind that all I wanted was acre's and a pond full of large mouth bass. But this web-site has made me think and feel things that I thought were long suppressed. You've made me re-focus on the things that made city living so great. The family, the community, the culture, I miss it all.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a country-boy at heart, and a lover of the land. And I thought I was gone for good.
I love Sterling Heights and every thing it has to offer. The living, the schools, the people, the convenience, the taxes and Insurance rates especially; But I miss HOME. I live in a big house and I have nice neighbors, But it just ain't HOME.

Now, mabe if we planned on having children I wouldn't be so quick to move back to the city,
but were not.

The city still has some growing up to do, and hopefully I'll be able to go along for the ride. Just my little contribution to the D.

Thanks Everyone

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lvnthed,

Remember if you choose wisely you can have both. I have a cabin in N Michigan near lots of lakes, rivers and woods.

Remember to get some thick skin though. As much as I complain I also praise. This is my home, and I live about a mile from where I grew up and only a few blocks from my grandmother.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

For those of you buying $300-$400k condos downtown, good luck selling them once your abatement goes away and property taxes jump to $20,000 a year. You're going to loose your asses.

Can't speak about loose bowels, but I'd be very concerned about being a paying member in a condo association at the Book-Cadillac if I bought there. That project must have extremely tight margins with little wiggle room in case of economic and financial setbacks. What would happen if it bellied up considering how long it takes to do anything with the place as it is? At some point some repairs are going to be needed. That's got to be a scary project even without a housing shakeout.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmmmm..... what a typo!

good catch LY

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2832
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When wearing my technical editor's hat, I catch them. But when technical writing, as I'm taking a break from right now--what errors???

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 252
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy happy Livernoisyard. Someone who lived in Milwaukee in the 1950's or 1960's or something like that, now an ADULT hanging out on the Internet just so happy and positive.

You are a a shrill headache. I learn nothing from you. I am here to learn about Detroit - never been to Detroit or Michigan. You are a joke. Get a life you ADULT.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is just another "necessary evil"...

whether we live in Ann Arbor, Plymouth, St Clair, Okemos, Warren, Taylor, Dearborn, etc., etc......

We do it because of our Job or our Family and or other relatives Proximity...

We are all caught up in our own little Worlds...

No one lives in Detroit because they love Detroit, you would have to be crazy to believe that...

We are all just making the best of our situations...

I think this also applies to living in Philly, or Oakland, or Pittsburg or Indianapolis or DC, etc, etc, etc......

I live in Plymouth Township visit Detroit regularly, weekly... also Dearborn and other close Detroit suburbs..

but I was born and raised in Detroit, Zone 28, my moving out in 1974 was based on Bussing, my kids were walking to grade school in Zone 28, and then was told to buss them to inner city locations...so I moved to Livingston County, never looked back, never regretted the decision...

still ran a business for 20 years at Van Dyke, Mt Elliot, Mack area....til 1990

Detroit has always been a necessary evil for me.

If I had any balls I would have moved to Hawaii years ago...

I suspect this post will solicit a few comments.....

regards

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 272
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckles said, "No one lives in Detroit because they love Detroit, you would have to be crazy to believe that...

We are all just making the best of our situations...

I think this also applies to living in Philly, or Oakland, or Pittsburg or Indianapolis or DC, etc, etc, etc

Chuckles, I respect your opinion but please don't speak for all. When I lived in Detroit, I could have afforded to live elsewhere but chose Detroit because I happen to prefer an urban--not a suburban lifestyle. Now I live in Baltimore for the same reason. I have the money and skills to move to Hawaii or live at the ocean or move up to the mountains. But, I prefer to live in an urban setting yet. To be honest, I feel living in Plymouth whatever would be living the life of a necessary evil. It is boring, and has all of the drawbacks of suburban life with none of the rewards. Call me crazy but I would rather be that then being one of the mundanes of the world.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No one lives in Detroit because they love Detroit, you would have to be crazy to believe that...

Do you actually read the posts on this forum? Lots of people here say exactly that every day.
(And I believe them.)

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link in Free Press related to topic:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070318/BUSINES S04/703180650

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6546
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a great thread until Philbert got up today.

I've seen far more wisdom and savvy about Detroit in LY's nearly 4,000 posts (1000 mysteriously disappeared) than in the 252 from Philbert that together form a long whine.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lvnthed-

My wife and I are raising three beautiful children in the city! We have one child in a great DPS school - they are not all bad and surprisingly it is diverse in culture, race, weeven have a lesbian couple who have their son and daughter at our school. We live in a beautiful neighborhood with great houses. Yes, there are things we don't like, however, all in all we would rather raise our family in a diverse environment, with beautiful architecture, and interesting people than live out in Cookie Cutter Land. WELCOME BACK! And if you do decide to have children, there are PLENTY of options.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 356
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and cue the next hudson's thread in 3,2,1..........

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved to la in 97 had a blast,moved back home 2 weeks after the superbowl.My eyes sees a different Detroit then metro detroiter's. I was drawn to the buildings downtown,the most amazine gothic imagery,a visual dream,cosmic wonder. its a comic book come to life. Parking lots dot the streets,making room for the future. all nite construction at the book cadillac makes me dream of walking one block from trolley plaza to the newly crown king of detroit. The movement has finally begun.Condo's replacing thousands of projects built decades ago.Brush park-laffyette park-jefferson east-woodbridge-corktown-midto wn-eastern market-massive casino venues rise in these areas,expanding our vision of downtowns borders.other downtown areas-new center-north end-southwest detroit-boston edison-indian village will all benefit from this dense-ness. and Wayne State,steady building south toward downtown.destined to re develop the one area frozen in time,no longer housing homeless but sporting development banners for condo conversion.cass cooridor. then wayne state will be downtown. a route plan to connect An Arbor to new center,a no brainer thanks to the tiger transit las year

Rocket_city

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg: ""....rather than 880,000 left to die" is using a whole lote of poetic license, don't you think? Come on, you'd think the inhabitants of this city are totally helpless and that there has been absolutely no assistance provided them by anyone at the local, state or Federal levels."

No, I do not.

Rocket City: "A big turning point in Detroit's history occurred after WWII when suburban home construction boomed."

Emphasis on "A" not "thee". I further went on to say that there were many other factors.

Mikeg: "Rocket_city's assertion was that Detroit's "turning point" was a suburban housing boom enabled by the post-WW II "massive national highway expansion" program (no mention was made of 1945). The "massive national highway" program really did not get going until the mid 1950's and in Detroit's case, didn't get extended out to the suburbs until the early 1960's."

After WWII means the time period after WWII ended up until present day, which includes the 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. I kept my response general because this is a large time period.

Nothing that I said was intended as false, and I don't believe it is, based on my research of cities. And furthermore there is quite a bit of literature that explains the role of highway construction in and around the time of suburbanization and what its effects were on central cities. If you don't want to take my word for it, I won't be offended. There are copywrites available for purchase or borrow.

Mikeg: "I don't think that leaves very much validity in Rocket_city's post - the alleged "turning point" was attributed to an erroneous set of cause and effect plus it was off by something like 25 years (~1963 - 1937 = 25)."

Again "A TURNING POINT", not THEE turning point. I'm sorry for making you get your barf bowl out of storage, but you might want to keep it nearby if you only intend on misreading posts. Also, your explanations are strikingly similar to mine, so I'm really kind of confused of your obsession to discredit me.

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Chuckles,

Living in Detroit can be VERY cool. Among the good places to live are Downtown, Midtown, New Center, Corktown, Woodbridge, the Hubbard (?)neighborhood of SW Detroit, Boston Ed, Palmer Park, Indian Village, East English Village, and other areas.

I live right in the heart of downtown -- within blocks of my office, Comerica Park, Ford Field, the Fox, the Opera House, tons of great bars, tons of great restaurants, lots of events like festivals and parades and sporting events and concerts. I have seen concerts at two venues within two blocks of where I live.

Suppose that you live in Midtown, New Center, Corktown, Woodbridge, etc. You're in an area that has it's own merits -- and you are still close to downtown, close to Belle Isle, close to the Eastern Market, etc.

So living in Detroit is not a "necessary evil." It can be WAY BETTER than living in the suburbs. It's not for everybody -- but more people should give it a try.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No question. It will happen someday. A city with that important of location will never die. I can't say the same for Las Vegas.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5622
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is making a comeback. Last time I heard of about it was from Coleman Young.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

k

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! I gotta save that pic, Quinn. Is that your handy work?

Quinn

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well of course.

I noticed the thread title has been corrected.

Urbanize, I'm sorry but I had to do it. Jar Jar was calling.

Quinn

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still laughing about it though. I mean, "I'm still laugh about it."

Urbanize

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, doesn't matter. The picture actually seems funny.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 629
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to save that pic to my computer. That was hilarious.

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjw,

I'll trade you some coneys for steamed crabs

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Last time checked more people were moving out city than in."

That is likely to be the case for a while, but it doesn't mean the city isn't starting to come back. What is likely happening is what is happening in Philly. People are still getting out of the most troubled and unsafe areas. Philly is experiencing great growth in it's downtown and healthier areas while a lot of the most damaged areas are still mostly in decline. At some point if the good stuff keeps on going on it will create demand to revive the bad places.

The other thing going on is just the general trend of cities attracting single people, empty nesters and small families rather than large families.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Ernest and Young building getting a high end steak house or seafood restaurant will push the envelope of fine dining options with a view of the park. We need a Mc Donalds on Woodward. Where should it go?

Nyburgher

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully the city and the people who love it are going to charge Chuckles for his parking space when he comes into town. It really would be best if this type just stayed out of town.

Urbanize

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the Ernest and Young building getting a high end steak house or seafood restaurant will push the envelope of fine dining options with a view of the park. We need a Mc Donalds on Woodward. Where should it go?"

There already one on Canfield and Woodward and I-75 and Chrysler, how many more do we need?

Nyburgher

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I heard that Boston is losing population. But, the number is so small that it's not significant. The basic trend is one of the city becoming for wealthier people with small households.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cities all across the USA are making a comeback with new large Wal-Marts in the suburbs, larger freeways and lots of low wage jobs. We need leadership in Lansing to bring back Detroit. And not at Livonia City Hall trying to save SMART.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every downtown has a visable,walkable Mc Donalds,Burger king within foot traffic of its CBD,cant live off of grilled salmon and baklava..lol A trip to MC donalds with the kids after a lions, tigers,red wings, Disney on ice at the Fox.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Riverfront,from GM to damn near the city limit is undergoing one of the most comprehensive redevelopments in the country. While miles an mile of land sit un- developed,hundreds of residents will be added to the riverfront,hundreads will choose new condos in the CBD. 100's of other new residents will hit the woodward cooridor from 75 to warren,This demographic will support coffee shops,pet stores,gourmet markets,spas,24hr restaurants,bars,art spaces,clothing stores,snack shops,barbers,home good stores..

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remix, those fast food places are almost always more expensive than the ones off the highway and in the 'burbs. They almost always ignore the rest of the chain's pricing and promotions. Might as well just get water instead of soda and have a decent meal, just save an extra buck for a tip. Don't be a Mr. Pink!

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK ill continue. dare i say corky,building hugging,bar drinking,loft loving,dog walking,Gay straight,bi,gothic,yuppies,art nerds are now flooding the downtown area, creating a new vibration. these diverse groups, once completly formed,will finalize was this area will be defined as.i love watching this in in infant stage

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago and I was just awestruck by the things I saw there. But when I came back 2 Detroit, I was so disillusioned and disgusted I REFUSED 2 post any threads on this site-this went on 4 about a week-and I said, screw it, I miss reading the [bitching] P.O.V.s of my fellow Detroiters so I got out of my funk and came back. But after reading that article that Yelloweyes (BTW, thanks) posted on this thread, it opened my eyes more than I had anticipated at that. I think about those 9-10 months I stayed in Clinton Twp. and I will confess, I miss it, but at the same time I have NO REGRETS about coming back to Detroit. If possible, I may relocate (my job) back to the eastside. The gas is a bitch [did anyone read the paper yesterday?]! I know Jjaba would be so disappointed (lol). But I saw some apartments on the outskirts of Downtown that I liked that are really affordable. And that would be very convenient for me being a DPS employee. Not to mention how much gas I would save because everything Downtown is within walking distance 4 the most part. Whoever started this thread, I think you'll be pleased 2 know that I posted a multi-part blog on myspace called 'Detroit rises from the ashes'. And reading these threads just inspired me to add another part to that blog that I've yet 2 finish.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 908
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beavis1981 wrote, "and cue the next hudson's thread in 3,2,1.........."

What is that supposed to mean? Every thread on this forum about Hudson's-- which was THE single most important institution downtown for decades, the importance of which one cannot overstate-- has generated interesting and useful information. If only the same could be said about all the threads.

Urbanize

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago and I was just awestruck by the things I saw there. But when I came back 2 Detroit, I was so disillusioned and disgusted I REFUSED 2 post any threads on this site-this went on 4 about a week-and I said, screw it, I miss reading the [bitching] P.O.V.s of my fellow Detroiters so I got out of my funk and came back. But after reading that article that Yelloweyes (BTW, thanks) posted on this thread, it opened my eyes more than I had anticipated at that. I think about those 9-10 months I stayed in Clinton Twp. and I will confess, I miss it, but at the same time I have NO REGRETS about coming back to Detroit. If possible, I may relocate (my job) back to the eastside. The gas is a bitch [did anyone read the paper yesterday?]! I know Jjaba would be so disappointed (lol). But I saw some apartments on the outskirts of Downtown that I liked that are really affordable. And that would be very convenient for me being a DPS employee. Not to mention how much gas I would save because everything Downtown is within walking distance 4 the most part. Whoever started this thread, I think you'll be pleased 2 know that I posted a multi-part blog on myspace called 'Detroit rises from the ashes'. And reading these threads just inspired me to add another part to that blog that I've yet 2 finish."

Yes, it's very appreciative, thanks.

Master_debator2
Username: Master_debator2

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, but this shitty, I mean city is not making a comeback. I'm in Corktown, and I can see how development all around is stagnant. People are leaving in droves. The real estate market all around SUCKS, the economy blows, peoples attitudes here suck, etc. Sad to say, but its true.

www.myspace.com/emergeunited_m ovies
This Sunday we are doing a BBC 3 part series called "The Real War on Terror". More details to follow. I hope to do this screening in conjunction with the "World Can't Wait" rally at Wayne State: Friday, March 23 @ the General Lectures Building Rm. 200, 5PM

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Debator2,

Hate to see you go.

I'm moving back!!

Tired of Cul-de-sac living.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure you have bars on your windows.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8624
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember that Paul is an expert because he lived here 30 years ago and drives through his old neighborhood on occasion.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 497
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Jt1.

Ignore the Negative Nelley's who continue to be part of the problem, never the solution

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do these negative people read and post on this forum? I just don't get why someone who thinks this city is crap would be on this site.
The site is called DetroitYES, not DetroitNO.

Urbanize

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to hi-jack even further into my thread, but for the downers, there is an active site called "Detroit Sucks" if y'all want to talk about us.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There still is the media that likes to take shots at us...someone showed me the scene from Scary Movie 4..with the Tripods attacking the D...was funny though...

Urbanize

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There still is the media that likes to take shots at us...someone showed me the scene from Scary Movie 4..with the Tripods attacking the D...was funny though..."

Actually don't quite mind that one because

1. In real life, the national media would not have been nowhere around here taping that, and it felt good that they came through to do something.
2. The play model of Detroit looked nothing like the real city.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 470
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie- That was said because this same basic conversation has been re-named and re-hashed about a half dozen times in 2007 alone. The pro-detroit crowd starts piling on. Then the negative people come out. Bickering ensues.
Positivity is like alcohol enjoy in moderation or become jaded.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: