Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Remembering Belle Isle » Remembering Belle Isle - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my parents taking me to the island, on unbearable hot and humid nights, and we, along with hundreds of others from the city, would sleep on blankets. Usually by the Scott fountain. It was much cooler on the Isle being surrounded by water. This was between 1945 and 1950. My uncle Marvin swears he dove off the bridge as a kid several times, but I believe it was a wooden bridge much lower and not the one that's there today.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my mom would take me and my brother to Churches chicken and we would play with ducks and ride the giant slide.That was the 80's though. 1950's had to be an amazing time in Detroit.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Late 1950s....

I remember renting canoes for trips thru the Belle Isle park 3 or 4 guys in canoes 3 or 4 girls in canoes....

The huge Aquarium...

Dinner at the DYC,as a guest of a school friend, had to wear a nice jacket or coat.

regards

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to concerts for the Detroit Concert Band, one of the very best of its kind, with Dr. Leonard B. Smith. FREE quality music. Then in the 70's the custom-party van thing came along and the van owners would park right next to the band shell and open their back doors, take out these huge speakers that would be large in a living room and blast out the Ohio players or some other urban copulation music, with absolutely no respect for the DCB musicians or their audience. Dr. Smith threw in the towel, said F_____it, and the region took another step down the staircase to hell.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Belle Isle pass away?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^56Packman hits it on the head. Belle Isle, and the City in general used to be more civil. Speaking as former a Detroiter, now a suburbanite, there's no way in the world that I'd risk disaster by taking my loved-ones to Belle Isle in an attempt to recreate summer-time memories. I'm not worried about violence or obnoxious people partying over my fun out there in suburbia.

56packman

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheart--as we knew it, yes.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 561
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"there's no way in the world that I'd risk disaster by taking my loved-ones to Belle Isle in an attempt to recreate summer-time memories."

Too many black people for you?

That's like saying you wouldn't drive your loved ones around in a car to avoid the risk of them getting into an accident. Shit happens.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5691
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what Belle Isle is full black-folks. There's still a lot of white folks going over to that island park.

Belle Isle is public City Park compare to Central Park in New York City. Everyone regardless of race and color have the right to picnic and have fun.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8708
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

^56Packman hits it on the head. Belle Isle, and the City in general used to be more civil. Speaking as former a Detroiter, now a suburbanite, there's no way in the world that I'd risk disaster by taking my loved-ones to Belle Isle in an attempt to recreate summer-time memories. I'm not worried about violence or obnoxious people partying over my fun out there in suburbia.

It's funny that my extended family and I spend a lot of time on Belle Isle and have never had any problems. That comment is absolute and utter crap.

Last time I was at Belle Isle on a busy day there were families having picnics, people fishing, people playing cricket and handball, kids on the playscapes, people golfing.

What is the real reason you refuse to go Craig?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9314
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with jt1. No problems at all except for the loud music which plagues us all everywhere...including suburbia!

56packman

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We still go, but it's not the same, it's not as clean, and the civil manners of people in all areas of modern America are not what they were 40 years ago, suburbs and city, including Belle isle.

Danny is right, everyone does have the right to use the park and have fun--and like all other rights they are yours until they affect or limit the rights of others.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ugh! I agree. Whats so peaceful and relaxing about 200 cars with their trunks opened trying to out do eachother with loud music? Yeah, good times.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lets see: skating
Sisters wedding outside the arboretum
finding the ghost in the wedding gown
shining raccoons
flying gas propelled airplanes
the slide the zoo the aquarium
the fountain at night
making out over looking Windsor
Kite fest in 1974
family outings
learning how to drive and my dad turning and driving home on Jefferson (poor dad swore he would never take me out again)
canoeing and picnicking on islands
Belle Bridge where my dad should me where they would jump off...third Pole from the island on the Detroit side.
Uniroyal tire...grain silos that he also claimed to have jumped from....
What a terrific park...went there a few years back with a friend and found it still very cool...had a great conversation with local kids and a guy from out of state at the fountain.

Jt1

Post Number: 8710
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

ugh! I agree. Whats so peaceful and relaxing about 200 cars with their trunks opened trying to out do eachother with loud music? Yeah, good times.

Miss Cleo, when were you last at Belle Isle. The South end of the island can be loud but that certainly doesn't apply to the entire island. Are you basing your comments on reality or what you have been told?

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I alway think I'm going to hear loud music and the like and I'm always pleasantly surprised that it's very few and far between..especially if you go during the day. People jogging, walking, having picnics fishing etc. That's what I've seen.

I do remember the Merry go round, and the pony rides though and I wish they would bring those back. The zoo and aquarium too! I haven't been on the water slide but I hear it's lots of fun.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everyone is an expert on here

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Belle Isle best early morning (8:00-10:00am) going for a walk, taking the dog and enjoying the spring/summer mornings, It is still quite enjoyable and a good start to the day I find. Still lots of good people of all types doing the same thing. I dont care for the evening but morning has its own flavour.

Kimistree

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I have to add about the "Middle of the Island playground" that's what we call it, it probably has a name but I don't know what it is..Anyway, that is the best newer playground around. Who ever designed it is a master.
If you have kids you should take them there because it is hours of fun.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing's wrong with Belle Isle minus the litter. You'd be stupid to avoid it with the days we've been having. I think too many take it for granted; it's one of a kind. And you really only have to worry about loud music on a short strip past the playing fields, short of the Coast Guard.

Jt1

Post Number: 8714
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great playground but there does need to be some litter control. I do think that the soft core material underneath it is great.

Cklwbig8
Username: Cklwbig8

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriend and I last summer (both white) took a visit one sunday on a beautiful hot day. A cop stopped next to my girlfriend and said to her "be careful young lady". she won't go back now. even tho everything was great no problems. we did get a few dirty looks here and there.

Kimistree

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah you are right about the litter, but that discussion could be another thread.
That soft core flooring is really cool though.

Jt1

Post Number: 8717
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My girlfriend and I last summer (both white) took a visit one sunday on a beautiful hot day. A cop stopped next to my girlfriend and said to her "be careful young lady". she won't go back now. even tho everything was great no problems. we did get a few dirty looks here and there.

That is crap (not your statement but the fact that they would do this)that they would say that to you. To me that almost seems to border on intimidation on their part.

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I'm white and have a white girlfriend too!

We go to the Isle constantly and have never been subject to "looks". Instead, maybe you were simply being overly self-conscious about your race and assumed that's what was happening. If so, relax. Assimilate! The Isle brings us together.

-- However, I'd say the cop "warning" you was intimidation... but they're cops!

(Message edited by 1805 on March 29, 2007)

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 70's & 80's Friends & I used to hit the Island for the Hydroplane races. A couple times we slept overnight on the beach got up had breakfast & stayed all day watching the U-boats run. Miss Budweiser,the Atlas Van Lines, Circus Circus, Miss U.S. were just few of the boats that ran. By the end of the day we were in pretty sorry shape- sunburned a bit drunk and Monday's were rough but we'd have a ball. I also rode in the Bell Isle Bike Marathon- about the only time one could camp legally on the island. Good times!

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3227
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of years ago the bishop of the Saginaw archdiocese passed away. He grew up on Belle Isle. His father ran the canoe concession and his family were the sole permanent residents of the island. Imagine that lifestyle - growing up in one of the biggest playgrounds in the country but not having any neighborhood kids to play with.

Craig

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56Packman noted that something nice was blown away by loud and rude behavior. I choose to voluntarily exclude myself when I see or expect loud and rude, and it should go without saying that "unsafe" is a deal-stopper. Based upon what I have experienced as well as what I've learned from reliable source I choose to avoid Belle Isle. If the island meets your standards for leisure, comfort and safety, then go for it, but do not condemn those whose choice it is to have a different kind of fun.

An extension of my thoughts about Belle Isle are the fireworks on the River. The video evidence is undeniable that passersby were violently and brutally set upon by the crowd - evidently just for fun! No question that any crowd will have bad apples, but "that" experience communicates 1) unprovoked violence happens in some places, 2) Detroit has a history of being under-policed, and 3) perpetrators of violence will walk or 'go to Disneyland (a quote from a fireworks beating defandant)' if charged. Bad stuff happens "across 8 Mile" too, but not to the extent that I perceive it to be on Belle Isle & Hart Plaza.

I'm having a full life without needlessly exposing my loved-ones to danger, and the upside for you is that don't have to compete with me for picnic table on the Island.

Jt1

Post Number: 8718
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

as well as what I've learned from reliable source I choose to avoid Belle Isle

Well as long as you are being specific about these sources.

quote:

The video evidence is undeniable that passersby were violently and brutally set upon by the crowd - evidently just for fun!

That was over 10 year ago if I recall. Don't let reality get in the way of your prejudice.

quote:

Bad stuff happens "across 8 Mile" too, but not to the extent that I perceive it to be on Belle Isle & Hart Plaza.

perceive is the operative word. Reality and perception aren't always the same.

quote:

I'm having a full life without needlessly exposing my loved-ones to danger, and the upside for you is that don't have to compete with me for picnic table on the Island.

Yes, ever time my family and loved ones go to BI we are exposing them to danger. That is complete and utter crap but you have 'sources' and perceptions so the vast number of times my friends, loved ones and myself have gone to BI and never had problems must not be a 'reliable source.'

Why beat around the bush. Just say what you are really thinking.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3962
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1... there is a world of difference between "last week" and the middle of summer on Belle Isle.

Every Good Friday I take my family to the island for an annual visit to the Conservatory, and a quiet drive around the island. And it is indeed very tranquil and quiet.

But in the middle of summer it's a whole different ball game. Much louder and much more crowded.

As we can see by the posts here, a lot of white folks truly are intimidated by a majority African American presence on the island in the summer, especially the large number of partying youths with loud music.

Jt1

Post Number: 8719
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok - I am on the island every week during the summer. The south part of the island is loud but the majority is very relaxing. My issue lies with Craig and Cleo's second had rhetoric.

Miss Cleo's opinions are pretty well known but Craig is the same guy that claimed there are no longer festivals or anything but bums crapping outside at Hart Plaza, no options for food downtown after 5 beyond the Coneys and going to Sanders BBQ will probably result in the death of a suburbanite there.

His bullshit comments and pattern of non sesne and misinformation needs to be called out.

quote:

As we can see by the posts here, a lot of white folks truly are intimidated by a majority African American presence on the island in the summer, especially the large number of partying youths with loud music.

And whose fault is that? That is the root of my issue with some of these people. This is when they start pointing out all of the black friends that they have and how they love going to see a jazz band in Southfield on occasion.

If you are going to be bigoted at least have the balls to say it instead of Craigs careful, incorrect comments.

If he wants to say that Detroit is a place were black people will kill white folk for getting BBQ, HP has no festivals, people get beat up for being white all the time, yada, yada, yada at least have the balls to say it and not ride the fence.

(Message edited by jt1 on March 29, 2007)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me and my white girlfriend ride to belle isle in the summer all the time. She gets looks, but she gets looks everywhere because shes hot.

Gibran

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to Spain and found walking at 12 at night to be dangerous....anywhere can be, some areas worse than others....breaking down inn southeast Oklahoma is very dangerous,,,bubba land... Belle Isle is a great place and at times it should be avoided...But I am to old to go making out there...dam.

But in general with a little TLC and as we redevelop downtown It should be a shining stop again, for all detroiters...In fact one of my most vivid memories as a child there was playing with a diverse groups of kids at a play ground and wondering why it shouldn't always be this way....maybe I had a vision of the way it could be for all of us.

Jt1

Post Number: 8720
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take the last post with a grain of sale. It came out of frustration at the 'what I heard', 'this is what they did 10 years ago' type crap. It is getting very repetitive here.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle can get loud/rowdy on hot summer nights and on senior skip day.

But in my opinion, it's worse when they close the island at night and everyone moves to the parking lots along Jefferson to continue the party. Now that's loud!

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late 40's and early 50's we used to go to the Conservatory every Easter for pictures. Usually it was in full bloom and beautiful. Horseback riding at Knapp Stables was the best. The beach was clean, the zoo was full of elephants and gorillas, the Nike site was mysterious, the Coast Guard Station was busy, the Scott Fountain was clean and colorful, fishing with a bamboo pole was great in the lagoons...I could go on and on. Because so many things have changed on the island, I would not take my grandchildren there on a hot summer day because of a few bad experiences I've had there and close calls with crowds of young thugs who have taken over the island. I would never jeopardize their safety. Sorry if no one likes to read that, but it's true, nevertheless.

Jt1

Post Number: 8723
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So back on track and sorry to all for my rants.

quote:

But in general with a little TLC and as we redevelop downtown It should be a shining stop again, for all detroiters...

Just as a reminder:

Belle Isle Spring Clean-Up
Saturday, April 28, 2007, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm:
The Friends of Belle Isle Spring Clean-Up is back. It will take place on Saturday, April 28, 2007 from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. This year we are dedicating the Clean-Up to the Former Detroit City council President Maryann Mahaffey. Meet at the historic Belle Isle Casino at 9:00 a.m. Wear warm boots and gloves and be prepared to get dirty. Cleanup supplies will be furnished. Refreshments will be served to those that come to help.

If you plan on bringing a group, please call the FOBI Office at 313-331-7760 and let them know you are coming. The site to be cleaned will be determined with the island administrator.

If Craig and Miss Cleo would like to particpate I would be happy to buy them a few drinks afterwards. No arguing, just relaxing and enjoying a nice day.

Craig

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 - I'm not full of B.S., I'm just reading the evidence and then making a decision.

My evidence includes...
-first-hand reports from friends (black and white, btw)
-first-hand reports from family members who work in law enforcement
-my own observations and experiences when in large crowds fulled by alcohol and without an immediate police presence
-the debacle around the fireworks (more than 10 years ago, btw)

I don't put a black/white face on the issue. I have "done the math" and I calculate the probability of "problem" as being too high for the expected benefit. Since you're hunting down my old posts I invite you to closely reread my comment re: Hart Plaza. "Don't rebuild," I urged, but "spend money on police and PR." If Belle Isle and Hart Plaza are safe or are made safe then those are selling features.

For those who visit Belle Isle and have a good, safe time: more power to you, really. But the lesson in my comments is that "they" won't come just because you build it. This city has many profound quality of life issues working against it, and the defenders can cross their arms and blurt "good, stay out - we don't need you." But do so with the knowledge that the whirlwind of economic activity that happens in SAFE (or perceived safe) places does so by the free choice of the players and spenders. The fact that the US Census is tracking an out-migration of black middle class from Detroit demonstrates that the desire for "quality of life" and safety are not the exclusive preserve of people like me.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shit when i was a kid, my old man used to be a member of the DBC. We used to stop the boat off there and go swimming... have bbqs and do whatever. Nice place to be. He used to do offshore racing and was a regular there and the roostertail.

Jt1

Post Number: 8724
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig - I have never stated that there are not QOL issues. My issue is with your half truths as stated above.

As for "good-stay out", I have never advocated that. I think that the city should open arms to anyone that wants to live here, work here or play here. I just ask that people be a little more honest. If you would like I can list the HP festivals (there are many in the summer) and I can list the places open after 5Pm for dinner in downtown.

I am very happy that you spend money downtown and are willing to offer up suggestions. I just ask that you keep the incorrect rhetoric in check.

Just let me know if you would like the lists of restaurants and festivals that you have obvioulsy missed over the years.

Jt1

Post Number: 8725
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BuyAmerican - The Belle Isle Conservatory has a beatiful flower arrangement for Easter. I think it is actually the week before easter that it is the nicest.

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep condemning the Isle, that's fine. Jt1, I can't help but agree with you that all this opposition to Belle Isle is really, subliminally an opposition to something else. "I wouldn't take my family to Belle Isle in a million years!" is just what detaches suburban youth from what the city has to offer. I've taken friends from the 'burbs to Belle Isle for the first time and their reaction is always " This place is awesome. Why haven't I been here before?" Have fun on your subdivision's back trail built on top of recently destroyed wetlands. Belle is nice, assholes.

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that its nice have not been there in years since I was a cub scout and they had a jamboree there but I remember it was really nice I'll have to go back soon and check it out especially with the new museum open there now.

Jt1

Post Number: 8728
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are speaking about the Dossin it is not new but it is redone and very nice.

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes thats what I was talking about I think it just opened up last weekend if I am correct. Im sure its awsome because the same people did the Detroit Historical Museum and that was very awsome when I went to that opening weekend

Jt1

Post Number: 8730
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand re-opening but awesome all the same.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking for myself, I am not condemning Belle Isle, I am saddened by what's happened to it. Jt1, thanks for the information regarding the conservatory. We were there last year and although it needs much work, most of the exhibits were as I remembered them.

Gistok

Post Number: 3966
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No reason for such name calling 1805!

And it's usually the oldsters that don't want to come down, not the young folks. The young ones who haven't are indeed in store for a pleasant surprise, when they do visit.

Jt1

Post Number: 8731
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy - I suspect it was targeted to others. The best way to see it improved is to join friends of Belle Isle and help with the activities they do there.

If you haven't been there in awhile it is much nicer than it was even just a few years ago. Just my opinion.

Gistok

Post Number: 3968
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican, they closed the conservatory last year for many months to fix it up. Perhaps you were there just before work got underway.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably so, it was just before the Aquarium was closed. That was another thing that saddened me very much.

Jt1

Post Number: 8732
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Aquarium clsoing does stink but it was necessary due to budget constraints. I hope that the city has sealed the building well. It would be a shame to see it fall into disrepair.

Craig

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 - this is wearing me out. I offer the following:

-Belle Isle was a great place
-society has changed: it is less polite
-life in the City has deteriorated
-my expectation of "trouble" on Belle Isle & other City venues is many times greater than the expectation of trouble in my new City's parks
-the calculus by which I determine the expected probability of trouble is, as with most people, drawn from an amalgam of empirical, observational, and anectdotal data
-I can both fight and run, but the people that I care most about cannot, thus my decision to guide them to localities with little or no expectation of trouble
-Hart Plaza and the City in general still offers some nice stuff, e.g. festivals & dining
-to enjoy the City's nice offerings one will step into the aforementioned "trouble" equation (think in terms of the probability of birth control failure vs. the likelihood of unwanted pregnancy while practicing abstinence )
-I'd like for my girl to see the fireworks from Hart Plaza, but the probability of trouble outweighs my ability to protect her or otherwise shield her from rudeness
-the safety and happiness of my girl outweighs my need to fish off of the pier on Belle Isle or my desire to take my girl to a festival

A long way to say that for me, under many circumstances, the pleasures of Detroit are not worth risking the troubles of Detroit. It's nothing personal. I do miss aspects of my home, but I have a new home and new priorities.

Jt1

Post Number: 8734
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So in summary you are saying that almost anywhere in Detroit is too dangerous to bring you family.

And you are saying it on a pro-Detroit board. You don't understand how you may upset some people?

What is upsetting is it doesn't sink in to your skull that this is a board of mostly Detroiters and you are coming here saying that any/all parts of the city are too dangerous for your family.

Well you will have to excuse me if I don't bend over badwards to be polite for me. Your post above however does not change the misinformation that you have previously spewed.

I take it you are one of the millions that wishes Detroit could be up to your standards but instead of doing anything positive you decide to tell Detroiters why our home and our city is so awful.

How is life being so perfect and living in a perfect community? Is it enjoyable criticizing every aspect of the city instead of offering up anything positive? Are my years and years of positive experiences nin the city insignificant to you but a single news story from ten years ago still weighs on your opinion of the city?.

quote:

A long way to say that for me, under many circumstances, the pleasures of Detroit are not worth risking the troubles of Detroit. It's nothing personal. I do miss aspects of my home, but I have a new home and new priorities.

Is one of those priorities telling us how badly our city sucks. You my friend are nothing but class. Let me know where you live so I can go to a website for that city and tell you and others how badly it sucks.

Jt1

Post Number: 8735
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I do miss aspects of my home

And you have the gall to consider Detroit your home?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like how you make it out that your "girl" is some sort of creature who can't fend for herself... You're certainly not giving her enough credit.

Craig

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 - at least you called me "friend."

A board shouldn't be "pro" anything. I'm here to think and to exchange thoughts freely and intelligently: no cheerleading from me for any thing or cause. Sorry if your feelings got hurt, but truth is truth.

As a consumer I do "do" something for Detroit. On the negative side I stay away from big parts of it, and the message should be clear: clean up if you want to attract my money. On the positive side I pay my taxes, patronize businesses, and sometimes take the calculated risk to bring my family in for culture and a tour.

Unless you start personally attacking me I'm done writing on this topic. I'll be a few threads over arguing politics.

Jt1

Post Number: 8736
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quiet Susanrosa - It isn't safe for girls in Detroit. If you are talking they might hear you.

Jt1

Post Number: 8737
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A board shouldn't be "pro" anything.

This site is DetroitYes. I don't believe that there are mutliple ways to interpret that.

quote:

Sorry if your feelings got hurt, but truth is truth.

Your truth certainly is not my truth. I do not see boogeymen around every corner at every place in the city.

quote:

On the negative side I stay away from big parts of it, and the message should be clear: clean up if you want to attract my money.

So you want everyone to make it better for you but don't have the time or inclination to help make it better. Got it. Pretty typical representation of the me first mentality of this region. Can you let me know what would make it acceptable to you so I can start working better to bring it up to your standards. I will call you when we get to that point.

quote:

On the positive side I pay my taxes, patronize businesses, and sometimes take the calculated risk to bring my family in for culture and a tour.

Good to hear. If you would like I can lay out all of my clothes in your path next time you are in town so you don't have to get your shoes dirty.

quote:

Unless you start personally attacking me I'm done writing on this topic.

I have made it abundantly clear what I think about you. Enjoy life in suburbia. I hope that you remind yourself everynight how you are better and smarter than trash like myself that live in such a horrible place.

Let me know if you are going to Belle Isle. I will ask that all of the undesirables (you know who you mean) can be removed.

Gibran

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we perpetuate intense feelings the post is in general a call to keep Detroit and it's premier park moving forward. I have brought my kids to Belle Isle and I have seen it from an insider (living in D) to a tourist and we felt both happy and sad. I felt the sadness when things are closed down. I am happy that a new generation of Detroiters are enjoying it ....It has been a major part of my life, my dads before and hopefully you and your kids. It can be very safe and it can be less than safe. But, in general it is still everyones park.

I hope that those who morn it's demise also will welcome it's transformation ... I was there last summer and had a ball....what a view....then again just look to the top of this page.

Jt1

Post Number: 8738
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful picture but we know that Lowell must have gotten beat, robbed, beat some more and thrown in the river after he took that picture.

We all know that is the norm for Belle Isle.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering-are the deer still on Belle Isle? I haven't been there for sometime & heard that they were removed. Always got a kick of driving around the wooded areas and seeing them.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just gotta chime in again, Lord help me. I have read my op over and over. NOWHERE do I say I dont like the park, the park is dangerous, the park is dirty, the park is bad.........I simply related that the day I went it was too crowded and too noisy for me. NOT MY idea of a good time.

SO, I guess Jt1 is just trying really hard to read something into my post about the park that wasnt there. Good job!

Jt1

Post Number: 8740
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I simply related that the day I went it was too crowded and too noisy for me. NOT MY idea of a good time.

The below post certainly does not say that the time you went it was too loud. You were making a broad generalization in the quote of yours below.

quote:

ugh! I agree. Whats so peaceful and relaxing about 200 cars with their trunks opened trying to out do eachother with loud music? Yeah, good times

I was speaking about your posts. Show me where I am incorrect in any of my responses to you. Are you assuming that other posts of mine are directed towards you? You made a generalization. I addressed it. You stated that you were last on BI almost 2 years ago. I addressed it. My other posts were directed towards Craig and in most cases addressed him directly. If you want to incorrectly infer a post is directed at you be my guest. I know that your cognitive skills are lacking so it is understandable.

Jt1

Post Number: 8741
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figure this may be a good thread for this. I think this sums up the attitude towards Belle Isle for all too many in metro Detroit:

What's the ugliest
Part of your body?
What's the ugliest
Part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But i think it's
Your mind
I think it's your mind, woo woo
All your children are poor
Unfortunate victims of
Systems beyond their
Control
A plague upon your
Ignorance & the gray
Despair of your ugly life
Where did annie go
Whe she went to town?
Who are all those creeps
That she brings around?
All your children are poor
Unfortunate victims of lies
You believe
A plague upon your
Ignorance that keeps
The young from the truth
They deserve...

Maybe one day kids from all of metro Detroit will be able to enjoy Belle Isle without the stories and what they are told (true or not).

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I can offer is that on our two trips up HOME to Detroit last year, my wife and I took time to drive around Belle Isle and stop at the Conservatory during its renovation. We had a chance to look inside thanks to the guard letting us in and it brought back great memories of my growing up in the city during the 50's & 60's! The island was packed in a good way with people enjoying themselves with music, playing football, and cooking some of the most incredibly great smelling bbq!! The views are fantastic. Sure I probably wouldn't go very early in the morning or late at night but I don't do that in a LOT of places here.

Now just re-open the aquarium...

Jt1

Post Number: 8743
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mornings, from my experience tend to be slow. Mostly just the few people out exercising, which we know is a limited number of people in SE Michigan.

The conservatory is re-open as is the Dossin museum. Hopefulyy you get a chance to see them when you come back. If you are here with your family and are golfers you may want to try the par three course or the driving range. It is very relaxing on that side of the island.

(Message edited by jt1 on March 29, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 8744
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All I hear from you is blah blah blah

Why would you say that to Rick. I appreciated his input.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1
You are fighting for a true cause that you believe in, but don't crucify those who have had experiences in Detroit that were not good.
Does being born and raised in Detroit, having worked in Detroit for an entire career; raised children in Detroit, have any legitimacy with you? I am still a Detroiter, I just don't live there anymore.
You are a very angry person, and I know who you are angry with, be honest.

Jt1

Post Number: 8746
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy - I understand, appreciate and agree with why people leave the city. I think that people need to do what is in their best interests. I just have issues with people that have left the city to come here (which is a pro-Detroit forum) to say how things suck, how stupid people are for living here, how they would never come back, etc. You don't do that so you are fine with me.

I have problems with people like Craig that pass on non-sensical information based upon what others have said. If you look at their posts it appears that they have not had the bad experiences but have read about them or been told about them and make blanket assumptions.

I am not an angry person. In all honesty most of my venting is on this board. Venting here is my release valve and keeps me pretty happy and on an even keel. You would be amazed at how much humor I get from messing with people like Cleo. I think that Craig is full of bs and I think very little of Cleo. That is the bulk of it.

Jt1

Post Number: 8747
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric - I believe that the deer are still on the island but they are in a shelter. They are no longer roaming around.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 449
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm assuming there in the old Zoo space?

Buyamerican

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,
I have seen many different threads on this forum that don't have a thing to do with Detroit. I appreciate the answer you gave me, but I do have to say that maybe you should just say "let's agree to disagree" to those who get to you. Discussion is the key word here, not yelling, venting, etc. But, it does make a person feel better sometimes, doesn't it?

Gibran

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok why did they remove deer? I understand the economics of the aquarium....but is there a plan to re-open it....

Buyamerican

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran, I heard that the deer from Belle Isle were swimming across the lake and going into GPW and parts of Detroit.

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some additional old postcards...

bi1

bi2

bi3

bi4

bi5

bi6

bi7

bi8

Saabdriver1986
Username: Saabdriver1986

Post Number: 392
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha wow, when did the Scott Fountain ever look like that?

Buyamerican

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great old postcards of Belle Isle in its' heyday.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikey...thanks for those great picture postcards! I remember being there as a child (Girl Scouts, I think...or some kind of dance in the pavilion...memory fails) and it was beautiful. Took my son to the Dossin Museum, Zoo and Conservatory many years later. Sad to say I haven't been there in many years. I think I will take the grandkids this summer.

Craig

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I PROMISE that I am not trying to stir up my sarcastic, Detroitist pal, but here's another update from urban legends file of Craig...

-DPD would occasionally pop citizens on Belle Isle at night illegally shooting deer; if the deer are gone I'll bet that they ended up in someone's frig.
-DPD officers would sometimes shot the feral dogs on the island after dark. This was inspired by boredom, not official policy.

Now...back to my boycott on not trying to reason with zealots.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: