Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » West Siders of the forum.... » West Siders of the forum - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3715
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we apparently being ostracized on the east siders forum, why not have one of our own? :-)

Born at 19923 Prairie

spent much of my childhood walking through Sherwoord Forest on our way to Palmer Park...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4815
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're damn straight. Tis about time.
jjaba born and raised, Northlawn and Schoolcraft.

Noble School
Tappan Intermediate
Cass Tech. Printing Dept.
Detroit Times Newsboy, Washburn/Grand River station.

B'Nai Moshe' Synagogue, Dexter Blvd.
United Hebrew Schools, Dexter Blvd.
Bar Mitzvah, Beth Moses Synagogue, Linwood and Oakman.
Parkman Library on Oakman Blvd.
Rina's Pizza on Shaefer.
Grand River electric feeder buses to Cass Tech.
Wrigleys, Davison/Greenlawn bagboy, 60 cents/hr.

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now your talking !
Started out as a newborn on
(1)Central and Dix next to the Firestation.
Then to (in order)
(2)Beard off Lafayette
(3)Hubbard off Vernor
(4)Lafayette off Beard
(5)Rademacher and Lafayette (Last house left on corner of Playground for Beard School until torn down about 68)
(6) 1196 Central
(7) 1190 Central

Schools were Beard Elementary and Wilson Jr High.

Favorite Bike rides were on the "New" I-75 before it opened. Or if we had money to get in we, would ride to Greenfield Village. If no money was to be found,We could ride for free over the Ambassador.

We were living Smack in the Middle of Great Shopping either on Fort St or Vernor, all within Walking distance !

And for a quick dip in a pool we would all go to Patton Park

(Message edited by Ragtoplover59 on February 02, 2007)

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, I still have my "Detroit News" wagon up in the attic, brings back Memories everytime I see it, as for Printing, I dont have the pleasure of Remembering from the Past, I still deal with it every Working Day !

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba--I assume you will raise hell if I "lurk" on your westside site. Remember, when I came home from the hospital, I lived at 17355 Kentucky. Practically your neighbor, baby. You folks sure looked funny wearing socks in the summer time. I just had to move out.

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not all Eastsiders discriminate. Hell, I love the west side. I learned how to deal drugs on Dexter and Linwood in my teenage years when I was a thug but now since I am older I found
Jesus n shit. Imma good christian god dammit and I love the west side too.

(Message edited by walterwaves on February 02, 2007)

New2theeastside
Username: New2theeastside

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born and raised 20146 Sorrento
Hampton Elem
Hally Middle
Renaissance High.

Now, I live on Jefferson & Fiske(I know, I know but I am a West Sider for life) and getting use to things over here

(Message edited by new2theeastside on February 02, 2007)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3716
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah I forgot.

I also attended Pastuer Elementary. McMichael Middle School, Longfellow Middle School and eventually graduated from Central High School.

I had also spent time in the Dexter/ Fenkell area and Dexter/ Grand Blvd area. But I spent the majority of my life along Seven Mile between Southfield and Woodward.

lol Jjaba, I did it just for you man...

We can't let these East siders one up us! :-)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived at: Archdale & Davison St W (birth to 1974)

Schools:
-Dossin Elementary (1961 to 1964)
-Our Lady Queen of Hope (1964 to 1970)
-Benedictine High School (September 1970 to February 1972)
-St Mary of Redford High School (February 1972 to November 1972)
-Cooley High School (November 1972 to June 1973)
-*Bentley High School-Livonia (September 1973 to June 1974)
-United States Navy (June 1974 to June 1980)
-University of Florida-B.S. (1980-1984)
-Auburn University-M.S. (1984-1986)

*Lived with my Aunt during the week in Livonia due to extraneous circumstances (ran out of options). Came home every Friday night to "bond" with family and 3 siblings again, also received weekly ass chewing from Mom & Dad.

First Jobs:
1. Detroit News Route 35; Schoolcraft and Mansfield Station. Delivered: Southfield, Archdale, Longacre and Rutland between Schoolcraft and Glendale including the "dead ends". (1968-1972)
2. Vendramino Wine Company, Asbury Park & Grand River behind Livingston Pharmacy. (1972-1974)

Hang outs:
-Norwest Theater on Grand River
-Big Boy on Grand River
-Detroit Public Library-Chaney Branch at 16101 Grand River
-Mouse House on Grand River & Terry
-Rina's Pizza on Schaefer Hwy
-Edward Hines Park
-River Rouge Park
-Chandler Park (I had "eastside friends" I met at Cobo, the Grande Ball Room and the Michigan Palace)
-"Devils Hill" on Fullerton & Memorial. (Superb knockdown dragout fights with greasers there.)
-O'Shea Recreational Center at Capital St & Forrer
-With any of my 28 cousins living within 1.5 miles of Archdale & Davison who wanted to get into trouble.

(Message edited by quozl on February 02, 2007)

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived in the former apartment building on W. Vernor across from K-Andy's Bar. Owner's Danny & Joe Fedea were close friends of my parents so they would all hang out there, play cards, etc. "Uncles" Danny & Joe would give me red marked quarters to play the bowling machine and pool table to keep me occupied!

From the apartments we moved to:
Logan
8134 Gartner
2619 Wendell until 1970

Went to St. Gabriel grades 1 - 12 and was the last graduating class as they started to shut it down in 1970.

Delivered the Detroit News in the neighborhood from the Vernor substation. Also delivered the temp newspaper during the News strike.

Played our HS baseball at Patton Park. I was a centerfielder with no fences!

Swam at Patton Park Pool and played ice hockey on the pond that used to be behind and to the right of the pool building.

Hung out at Paradise Ice Cream, Cunningham's, and the coney joint at Springwells.

Dad worked at United Trucking on Lonyo.

Took the bus downtown to work as an usher at the Madison Theatre.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4819
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba LOL at the Westside posts. Keep it up.
The Rock can chime in too with his roots in our neighborhood. The Westside is big enough for all.

Learned to swim at Fisher YMCA, Dexter/Blvd.
Paper route, Detroit Times.
Locker room, Rouge Pools.
Locker room, Kemeney Pool. (Fort St.)
Attended WMU on NY Central.
Wayne Grad. school on Dexter bus.
Printshop in our coal bin, Northlawn nr. Schoolcraft.
Two-flat, we lived up. Steps baseball.
Kick the can, romping through backyards.
Home when streetlights went on.
First tv on block, Olympic circle tv B&W.
Horse drawn Detroit Creamery wagons.
Bottled Pepsi with Planters Peanuts stuffed in neck.
Two flat mortgage, $55/mo. Rent from tenant, $52.50/mo. You do the math. Dad would bitch about $2.50 to live there. Paid it off quickly.
Coal furnace to stoker to gas.
Three cars before graduating HS: 1941 Chev. 1950 Pontiac. 1960 Olds. (Actually graduated in '59)
Four in household, one car. Imagine that suburbanites.
Northlawn bus to Grand River/Oakman, Cunninghams.

jjaba, Westsider.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to admit that I started out as an east sider. Y'see, I was born at Women's (now Hutzel) Hospital, which, technically, is on the east side at John R. But day two saw me brought "home" to the west side, and there I stayed, with a brief stay during the war in Dearborn.

William Ford grade school (demolished, 1990)
Monnier grade school (slated for closing)
Mackenzie High School (slated for closing)
A pround WSU dropout.

Lived at 12316 Sorrento and 13960 Steel.

First job: Detroit Times route, Steel from Grand River to Gavel (try and find THAT street!)
First real job: Big Bear Market, next to Marygrove College.
First job I liked: Fromm's Hardware, 8670 Grand River.

Biggest childhood envy: Guys who had a Schwinn.
Biggest childhood pride: My Lionel Trains. How I wish I still had 'em.

Hangout: Al Pisa Pharmacy and soda fountain, Meyers and Schoolcraft.

Adulthood:
First home: 19940 Lindsay
Second home: 20001 Houghton
Third home: 15505 Warwick

But left Detroit in 1984 for better weather in Las Vegas. Sorry....no regrets. But we return every year to visit friends and family.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born and raised on the Northwest side in Rosedale park.

Attended
Crary school
Ludington Middle School
Cass Tech
and LTU

Now living in Midtown off Woodward.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4823
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, Thanks.

Did Big Bears pay 60 cents too?
jjaba born at Women's Hosp. too. 1941.
Brother born June, 1943 at Women's in middle of race riots.
Brother went to Mackenzie HS.
jjaba learned to drive on Mackenzie lot.
Lefkowitz Deli. Dexter.
Westown Theater on Wyoming
Tower Bowling Lanes, Wyoming.
Beverly Theater, Grand River.
Sold Times bulldogs at back of Sears-Oakman, Sat. nights.

jjaba, Westsider.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, I grew up at Longacre and W. Davison.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8222
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanksgiving that wasn't, Old Providence Hospital, 5:30 a.m.

Westland/Nankin Twp. for a few years until my father came to his senses.

8235 Appoline, 48228 formative years. 931-4656 (why do I still remember THAT?)

Moved after the divorce a FEW blocks into Dearborn from 12 to 17.

Couldn't get TOO far from that Aviation Subdivision X marked on the map.

NOW...'just' east in the Market...at least my studio.

Everything inbetween is a blur.

(Message edited by Gannon on February 02, 2007)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 560
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born at HF Hospital, then lived at Hancock and Cass til my folks graduated from WSU, then moved to St Mary's S of Grand River. Then on to the burbs when I was in 3rd grade.

Quozl

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My humble abode on Archdale Street:

Our Lady Queen of Hope on Glendale (FKA):

O'Shea Recreation Center on Capital:

St Mary of Redford:

Chaney Library taken from the Bell Tower at St Mary of Redford:

St Mary of Redford Bell Tower. Sister Lorretta (IHM) is having fun ringing the bells:

Vendramino Wine Company (a nail salon now minus the big glass windows). Dude in pic wanted to have a "confrontation" with me in the middle of the street on Asbury Park after the photograph was taken. He decided to back down and apologized when my cousins came out of the Mercedes-Benz sporting assorted "gear" and kindly asked him what was the problem. NOTE: I tried to get his permission before I took the photograph but he flipped me off. I took his response as a "sure thing buddy." Fight fire with fire I guess:

My Grandfather's brother-in-law was Louis J. Gariepy MD. His clinic was across the street from Vendramino Wine Company on Grand River. Two of my uncles (moms brothers) practiced medicine there and at Mount Carmel on Outer Drive:

Grandmas house on Terry Street south of Grand River:

Uncle Joe-Kees House on Lauder & Schoolcraft (abandoned):

The house I wanted to purchase on Parkview Drive in the Berry Subdivision off of Jefferson, down the street from King Kwame's Kingdom on Dwight St. It barely passed inspection and the sellers were real firm on the price ($525,000.00). This house is right next door to the "castle" and it needed loads of work. The exterior was in horrible shape. I later found out it was some cockamammy excuse because I wanted to actually LIVE in the house and NOT continue to rent it out as a BB&B. Their loss, it ended up selling for a LOT LESS than what I offered them:

And lastly, Quozl and Ronnie. I am the guy on the right if you were wondering. Ronnie works in the old Model-T plant on Piquette & Brush for some uniform service that occupies the building. He gave us the grand tour of the whole facility. I gave him and his boss two Ben Franklins for their time. We continue to be friends to this very day and he is a lurker of DetroitYes. He graduated from Mumford HS in the early 90's, and has a beautiful home around Keeler and Gilchrist:

He then took me for a pretend ride in Model-T #138 around the parking lot:

I took at total of 3126 photographs of Detroit, Belle Isle, ruins, urban explorations, family houses and businesses we had/have within the city limits of Detroit from 1905 to today. It was loads of fun, though at times it was VERY dangerous as I encountered some dodgy characters. I always traveled with three other individuals to provide me with company and great conversation. Proud to report we averted two carjackings and three holdups. For two days of extensive photography we hired two off-duty Detroit Cops to keep the coast clear of knuckleheads as my cousin with the Michigan State Police was unable to assist.

I know, I should not have been driving around Detroit in a S-550 Sedan with a carload of white boyz as I am inviting trouble but I could not find a rundown 1972 Hornet or Caprice at the time on such short notice.

Iheartthed, do you recognize my house?

Gannon

Post Number: 8226
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quotzl,

Were you here when we were comparing notes on Grand River and Southfield and more?

Between cousins and marriage through my sister, I'm related with a whole bunch of St. Mary's of Redford folk...and know a few more.

Went to a Legel wedding July 3rd, and saw more than a few from 1980-83 there...big fun.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 561
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chaney Library! That was it. I remember playing with the hamsters in the kids section. Did Kindergarten at St Mary's, the teacher there whew! Old school catholic hard ass beyotch. I attribute the dislike for authority of my adult life to her.

Quozl

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Gannon, I missed it. I stayed away from the Forum for many months after my first visit back to Detroit in September 2005. Lowell let me post to it a few weeks ago though. My Mom and Dad went to St Mary's, got married there as did all their brothers and sisters. Loads of my cousins went there from 1960 to 1977.

Gannon

Post Number: 8230
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, kindergarten at the McFarlane Elementary overflow trailers...circa 1968, after GI Joe came to life for the SECOND summer...and our tall elm trees still made Appoline a foliage cathedral.

Gannon

Post Number: 8231
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask them if they crossed paths with any Smiths...I think most of 'em ended up in public school, though. Their momma, Kathleen, worked for the ACLU...lived over in Rosedale Park SW of Fenkel/Southfield...and was a big supporter of the public school system, so the kids went public.

Legels, too, you were there when my bro-in-law's daddy was your state rep!

Met a guy who told me Jack taught him how to record the city council meetings back in the day to embarrass them and ol' Coleman. Met him the morning AFTER that Legel wedding this past summer...what a co-incidence, he brought Jack's name up without prompting...it was weird.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Iheartthed, do you recognize my house?"

Yeah, I have definitely seen it before. I'm trying to picture whether it's in the Schoolcraft-Davison block or the Davison-Glendale block. I spent many of my summer days riding my bike up and down those streets around there.

While writing this I checked Windows Live. I lived in that same block on the Longacre side.

Quozl

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you live there the same time I did (1956-1974)?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, I lived there during the 80s and 90s.

Quozl

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looked like it is still a great neighborhood. The guy who bought the house in '74 from us still lives there. Willie let us tour the house and we grilled some burgers in the backyard, drank some beers and he introduced us to loads of the neighbors over there.

I had arranged a visit a few weeks before I came up and he said it was cool. Some of his family live on Archdale and I think his sister lives on Longacre.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they have any lakes on that side of town?? Or island parks?
Chucklin on the Eastside.
Tarkus

Gannon

Post Number: 8233
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We sure as hell don't have fish flies.

Solid-footed in summertime on the near Eastside, from a Westside perspective.

Can you say HINES DRIVE? If you've never been there, just trust us.

Quozl

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edward N. Hines Drive ROCKED. Great parties out there in High School. Might be why I got into so much trouble...

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born Brent General Hospital. Ruthruff-Herman Elem. Wilson Jr. High, Western High (grad 73). Boy Scouts at Divinity Lutheran Church, Pack/Post 512, JROTC Western High, Beacon Bowling league, Patton park swimming-ice skating, Free Press paper route. Getting
ice cream at Ira Wilson’s on Vernor, Jupiter’s and Niesner’s dime stores, Playing in Harmes school yard. Riding bikes down Cadillac hill. (Vernor and Dix) Marching down Vernor for the 4th of July, Canada too. Running to the store for the Army troops during the riots when they camped at Patton Park. (Sorry for any spelling errors.)

Ray1936

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post, Quozl....thanks for the tour!

I just wish I had taken more "street" photographs than I did of family and indoors events as I did. Dang.

Jjaba, as I recall, my pay scale at Big Bear started at a half buck, and raised a nickel after three months. But I made a buck an hour at Fromm's.

Learned to drive in my grandfather's 1949 stick Kaiser. Judas Priest, that car was a tank.

Church was Evangelical Lutheran Church at Sorrento and Buena Vista. It never excited me very much, and today I'm somewhat an agnostic. But the youthful exposure was beneficial.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakman Blvd--6055
St. Lukes School
Salesian High School
Wayne State University
Hangouts--downtown and neighborhood streets
Manor Park
rode my bike up to Rouge Park--a day in the country
0r--rode my bike with the family dachshund in the basket up to Grand River and Greenfield.
Joy Road bus was my way out

Quozl

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray1936, I appreciate it. I really have enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Glad you posted 1st_sgt, good to see you again.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4827
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pack 428, Noble School, Fullerton and Ohio.
Scout troop 428, best troop in the state.
Noble School.

Charles Howell Scout Reservation Summer Camp, Brighton.

This is back when Ann Arbor wasn't a suburb and Brighton was down-right country. Going out Grand River US 16 was on a three-laner. Driving the center lane took kahones.

Remember the day Kensington Park opened.

jjaba, Boy Scout.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jaba, you must be older than dirt, Scout res. is now a bunch of million dollar homes, you can still take Old Grand River out to Brighton or farther if desired, still taking your life in your hands tho...

chuckles former Boy Scout...remember Boy's Life...

Chuckles

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckles ...born/raised zone 28
Dixon Elementary...
Frank Cody HS...
Lawrence Tech...
Detroit Arts & Crafts...
Free Press /Home Gazett newspaper route...
Herman Gardens...
Sky's Fish & Chips...
Saunders Tuna Sandwich and Hot Fudge Sundays...
Stromboli's Pizza and hangout...
Roller Drome Skating, Outer Drive & Warren...
Roller Drome penny scrambles and Girls...
Rouge Park & cookouts & Strohs...
Club Gay Haven, Girls, Girls, Girls ...
Jamie Coe & the Gigalo's...
The Big 4....STRESS...HRap Brown....
Koby's 49er Club, E Jefferson West of Belle Isle
Hari Krishna East Jefferson West of BI...
Duleys or Dooleys on West Vernor still there...
More later....
Chuckles a Detroiter from Zone 28.........

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 924
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sky's was a fish and chips place?? Is this the same as the Sky's that is also known as A&G lunch?

Chuckles and I grew up in the same neighborhood. I'm from Piedmont/Cathedral.

Chuckles

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner, I was Joy Road and Artesian, Sky's Resturant was a small hamburger dive on Piedmont and Joy Rd known also for their Fish & Chips...
I also remember
Towne Drive In, Telegraph and West Chicago...
Top Hat Drive In $.12c burgers, Tele/W.Chigago
EJ Korvette's same area...
Military Inn Warren & Telegraph...
DSR Trolley turnaround, Warren and Pierson Rouge Park...
Warrendale neighborhood everything...
Earl Schieb paint jobs...
Wiping seats at Briggs Stadium for tips...
Derby Hill in Rouge Park...
Real home made Soap Box Derby racer cars...
Rose's Drive In Burt Rd & Joy Rd...
DYC when it was cool...
Canoe rides with the girls at Belle Isle...
Belle Isle Zoo.....
Harry Suffrins on Gr River and Greenfield...
Southfield when it was a 2 lane HWY North to Gr. River, transfer to Gr River West to Cunninghams, Monkey Wards, White Castle or was it White Tower then...
Rouge Park tobogan runs, Sledding...
Lotta memories growing up in Detroit...

Chuckles

Chuckles

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Yuseff Lateef at Bakers Keyboard Lounge once, back when Livernois was known for its Used Car Lots....
Used to go to a coffee house on 2nd and Canfield way back when Beatniks were the in thing but I do not remember the name of the place...
(The Hungry Eye maybe ???)...
I used to repair the Ceramic Kilns/Furnaces at the old Detroit Arts & Crafts they changed their name along the way....

Chuckles from zone 28

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4692
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt
Troop 512? I was Senior Patrol Leader for a year or two of that troop before my family moved to AP. I was in the group from Troop 369 that merged with 512.

Remember Mr. Carnahan(sp)? I was so proud marching down Vernor in the Colorguard with the white kerchef and belt and Mountie hats in the 4th of July parades.

Still take much pride when our little SW Detroit troop was invited to march in the Hudson's Thanksgiving Parade.

Jams

Post Number: 4693
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bennett Elem (Lt. of Safety Patrol)
Wilson Jr. High (1 semester)
St. Stephen Lutheran (7&8 grades with the other 7 students in my class)
Moved to Allen Park and was a proud Jaguar at APHS.

Worked for Dad in his store on Springwells at 10.
When I was 11 he had an Archway Cookie route that covered all of the Westside up to about Fenkell.

My summers were spent delivering cookies with him to all of the supermarkets and neighborhood stores. It was easy to get the other neighborhood kids to help with unloading the semi at the "warehouse" (garage) because Dad paid in packages of cookies.

Loved Vernor to spend my earnings, especially Levitt's (sp?) Hardware with all of the car and airplane model kits and H.O. toy soldier sets. (Still haven't forgiven my sister for giving them to my cousin when I moved to Ann Arbor for college)

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrendale here!
7740 Greenview
Dixon Elementary - Kindergarten
SS. Peter & Paul Elementary (1979)
St. Alphonsus via the Warren Ave. bus (1983)
Cody High - driver's ed.
WSU - 1988
U of D law (not technically west side) (1994)
Now in Brush Park - so I guess I am now an eastsider!

Chuckles

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff,all is not lost...yet, find a job on the West side somewhere preferably Warrendale, salvation is near.
Keep the faith and hang in there.

Chuckles

Gannon

Post Number: 8242
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EJ Korvettes record department!!! (before Peaches R&T opened over on Greenfield in Dearborn) Whoa, memory lane.

Heya, Bpjeff, you were only a few years behind me at St. Als, I'm sure we've met. LOL, near neighbors NOW across the e-way.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

born n bred on Ardmore at Eaton
Sam's Drugs on Fenkell across from the bus stop
Burns elem
Cadillac junior high
Cass tech music
Xylophone in the basement
Imperial Express on the Lodge
Great Lakes theatre on Grand River
Working at the Vest Pocket in the 70's
Strathmoor Methodist on Schoolcraft
Bicycle runs over the Ambassador Bridge
Bicycle runs out to Kensington - Grand River all the way
First McDonald's at Southfield and Grand River
Red Devil Pizza YUMMMmmmm
learned to drive in and around Plum Street
Sold Emergency Press at Grand River and Oakman
Fed National Guard spaghetti dinners during riot
Bowling on Schaefer just off Fenkell
Ice cream at the Snug,now Traffic Jam
Hanging in Cass Park
Afternoon movies at the Gem!!
Organ lessons at Grinnell's on Woodward
Hanging in Dad's office in the Penobscot,
...corner office on 10th looking at the NEW Kennedy Square
getting rides home w/Dad from Penobscot, out Grand River
Olympia Stadium
Longest escalator in da' world
2 degrees from WSU
Bonstelle and Hilberry
Lived on Canfield before the cobblestones
Verne's burgers, and peanuts on the floor

(Message edited by ptero on February 03, 2007)

Chuckles

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ptero...Awesome

Detroit to Kensington by bike...whoaaaa

do you remember Edgewater Park...?

chuckles

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born/raised in Old Redford (G.River/Burt)
attended Burt Elementary, Cerveny MS (briefly, due to bussing) and Redford HS..(80)
hangouts: 1.The mulberry tree and field behind what is now Pizza Hut on Grand River/Burt.
When I was a tyke, the farmhouse of Thomas Burt still stood there.
2. Miller's Feed Store GR and Lahser(actually a hobby shop with a huge HO track)
3. Lawson's on Lahser
first job: Phone solicitor for POAM
2nd job: sub sandwich maestro, Mr. Tony's Subs,
W.7 Mile/Tele (avoided getting job at Mr. Tony's closer to home..too many friends would have expected subs on the house)
At Cerveny and Redford, introduced to many hipsters from Rosedale Park.
Parents moved to Redford Twp: 1980.
Lived there on and off, then moved to Southwest Detroit (Blvd/Vernor area).When I first moved there, Gannon's mom or aunt still had a great Irish Pub across from Duly's
Last place of residence: Hubbard/Richard/Mexicantown
Haved also lived in:
Valencia Spain (Benimaclet)
Athens, Ohio
Pittsburgh PA (summer internship)
Mexico City (Tabacalera, then Del Valle)
LA (Eastside, baby)
Currently on a sabbitical...stay warm, my westside brothers and sisters!

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checkin' in from the 48221...6 Mile and Livernois area. Hally, Post, Mumford, Wayne State.

Got familiar with the larger neighborhood as an 8 year old by tagging along with my cousin on his Shopping News route. We covered about 10 or 12 square blocks, but if the weather was too bad, we said "the hell with it" and dumped them bad boys in an empty lot. He got paid, I didn't
Varsity Theater
6 Mile Uptown Theater
Palmer Park Theater
all day bike excursions through Palmer Park on Saturdays in the summer
Ice skating on the Palmer Park duck pond in the winter
Gregg's Pizzeria
Roaming the U-D campus on our bikes and never getting hasseled by campus security
Highland Park Sears store
Epp's Sporing Goods on Livernois
learned to shoot pool at the Highland Park YMCA
outdoor swimming at Butzel
Little League at Comstock and Butzel
annual neighborhood paper drives sponsored by the scouts
Gesu vs. Hally
Pack/Troop 105: Hally School
Angott's Records on Puritan to spend my allowance on the latest Motown hits
Muirland Drugs
A&P on Puritan
Chinese laundry on Puritan and Livernois where my dad had is shirts done
best foot longs and milk shakes in the world at the Dairy Royal on McNichols across from U-D
Riding the 2nd Ave. bus downtown with my mom and brother to shop (we owned 2 cars, but Mom refused to drive downtown by herself, we only drove when Dad went along)
Later, as a teen, rode the same bus alone in the opposite direction and transferred at Greenfield to go to Northland.
White Tower hamburgers at 6 and Livernois
music lessons at Studio M on McNichols and stopping at Sander's soda fountain to spend my bus fare while walking home instead
the original Lou's Deli across from Marygrove College

(Message edited by gary on February 03, 2007)

Ptero

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Chuckles. The Kensington ride was awesome. That's when we realized it's uphill most of the way to get out there. We grouped and started from the Church on Schoolcraft. Then Grand River all the way.

Actually the target was Island Lake rec area, across 96 from Kensington. A parent brought out a trunk full of tents and gear and we stayed for a long weekend. Only got shot at once for lifting corn from a field!

After the weekend of little sleep and fooling around, the ride home was MUCH easier, mostly downhill into Detroit from out there. Up a small hill and down a big one. Over and over.

The Ambassador crossings were memorable for the 5 flats among 6 bikes on one trip. yikes, that one was a struggle. Plus there was the gang with baseball bats that chased us on foot as we rode by their turf along Grand River.

and I HATED the mouse at Edgewater, I just knew I was gonna die.

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckles - I do not know about finding a job in Warrendale, but I am a regular. My buddy owns Chick's Bar. In fact I will be there tomorrow to watch the game. I find it ironic that it is only only block from my childhood home.

1st_sgt

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,
In Troop 1968-1971, 72 Troop 512, a Den chief for Pack 512, then we formed Explorer Post 512 one of the first 6 members (Treasure). Had Many, Many good time there, D bar A camp, Howell, Even spent a summer at bell-isle teaching canoeing and archery for an inner city kid program. Went to Wright Patterson AF base for a camp out.
Good times.

Jams

Post Number: 4707
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missed you by a year and a half or so. My familly moved to AP in 66 and I joined Troop 1051. They were so rich they owned their own campground.

Still have my tunic with 512 on the sleeve, just could never bring myself to have my mom change it to 1051. I never realized how poor we were at the time. But that little troop had a great deal of pride.

My experiences camping at D-Bar A and Howell with the troop led this SWCity boy to a lifelong appreciation of sleeping in a tent and of nature in general.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4830
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba grew up in Detroit 4. (PO on Joy Rd.) Later, same house, 48238. (PO on Lynden)

first phone. DAvison 4-2919.

Steps baseball on front steps.

Worked at Crowley's Shoe Dept. Grand River-Greenfield. Mr. Manko was tough guy to work for.

Sanders, Fenkell-Wyoming.

At Tappan Intermediate, Mr. "Gutenberg" recommended jjaba to Cass Tech. Printing Dept., 1956.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4831
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minor Key Jazz Coffee House Club. Dexter Blvd.
1956-1960. Playlist jjaba can remember who he saw.
Miles Davis. George Shearing. Adderly Bros.
Art Blakey. Slide Hampton. Jimmy Heath.
Yuseff Lateef. John Coletrane. Sonny Rollins.
Maynard Ferguson. Dave Brubeck. Amad Jamal.

Cover 50 cents. Cokes, 25 cents.

jjaba.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 930
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skys.. never knew they had fish, I do remember the fish place next to Matick Chevy though.

Bp is a Jet. I am a Golden Hawk.
I went to:
Everett for Kindegarten (now part of Cody)
St Suzanne's grade school
Bishop Borgess
Cody High summer school to catch up on mathematics.
Henry Ford CC - Architectural Technology
Wayne County CC
WSU College of Urban Labor and Metro Affairs and College of Liberal Arts and Science for Co-Major Undergrad.
EMU Grad school.
Now resident of Warrendale, though also lived in Copper Canyon.
I'm all about the West Side.

Chuckles

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had many friends from the Copper Canyon, their dads were all cops, a common thread running thru CC in the old days...

jjbaba, do you remember a place called "The Cup of Socrate's"
you saw and heard some great ones at the Minor Key...

Ptero, the Mouse was my favorite ride, I used to love the guy with one tooth that ran it and collected the money, he was always smiling, will never forget.

chuckles

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born and raised at Vasser and Outer Drives, Vernor School, United Hebrew School, House of Foods, Brickleys, Star Bakery, Borensteins, Miller Hardware, Leon and Lefkovskis, Irving and Leons, The Furniture Club, Detroit Bagel, G&G, Robin Hoods, Pickwick Pet Shop, Royal Theater, Zukins and Rockys. Second home, grandma and grandpa's in Palmer Woods and running amok on Livernois from Billys Deli down to Six Mile. It was the Hamilton line downtown and the tunnel bus to Windsor. Homer the driver from Hudson's and Morey the Good Humor Ice Cream man outside of Vernor School...

Ptero

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Chuckles, was the place at 2nd and Canfield where Traffic Jam is now? They were two separate places in late 60's as Traffic Jam and Snug. Same owner - two entrances. The much smaller TJ's was a bar, kinda rough, pool tables and fights now and then. Dark, messy floors... The Snug had no alcohol and offered ice cream and light (heavy!) food. They were shooting to get the underage crowd. Like the Plum Street overflow. We'd go there after shows at Cass sometimes. The Snug entrance was in the corner of the building right at the intersection, at 45 degrees between the meeting walls..

Then there was Anderson's Gardens over on Third
Fred's key shop on Cass
A GREAT pizza place up Cass a block or two from Fred's in an old house
Bush's garden of eating
Pomeroy's fish market, hmm around 6 and Schaefer?
Sold elevator passes at Cass
Milt the bus driver morn and aft, worked split shift
Riders would have birthday parties for him as he drove
He'd wait for you if he saw you running late
Safety crossing guard, w/belt and helmet at Strathmoor and Lyndon
Picked up that cat we saw get run over with drumsticks
The train shop on Hubbell between Schoolcraft and Grand River
VErmont8-7942

(Message edited by ptero on February 04, 2007)

1st_sgt

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does any one remember the name of the Army Navy store some where on Grand River? (I maybe remembering the wrong Street). It had Armor vehicles out front, some tanks and a half track. I got my first set of Fatigues there at 5 or 6 years old. I can still smell the canvas warehouse smell, Later I got a cadet training rifle and camping equipment, pup tent, pistol belt, Etc. It was my favorite store as a kid. Also the DuPont paint plant that blew up was near there.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were two of them. "Barry's" was one, and "Harry's War Surplus" was the other. Front of the store was painted bright yellow. They were on the north side of Grand River a block or two east of the Sears store at Grand River and Oakman.

The plant that blew up, around 1962 or so, was the old Ditzler Color plant. What they made I can't recall, but I was at 7 mile and Southfield and heard that explosion. Plant was on Oakman south of Grand River. Blew out windows for miles around.

Ptero

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that East of Oakman on Grand River? Just East of the Sears and the RR tracks I'm thinking. Or maybe THAT was a tire shop and the Army Surplus store was East of the tire store.

Then there was Jerry's Bicycles not far from Wyoming on Grand River.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry's Bicycles was on the southwest corner of Washburn and Grand River, a block from Wyoming. Jjaba and I know the place well for other reasons.

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember where Dads Rootbeer bottling facillity was located. My older brother worked there and we were trying to figure out where that was. I believe it was in NW Detroit.

I remember both Jerrys bicycle store and the Army surplus store. My dad used to take us down there all the time.

We bought a lot of our camping gear at the Army Surplus. We had a mamoth tent that was probably meant for an entire platoon that was held up by these heavy steel pole and cross members.

I remember wanting to buy a unicycle that was always on display Jerrys. It's funny, the things that we remember when prompted by someone elses memories.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st Post!

Mom and Dad grew up around Plymouth and Southfield Rds in the '50's. Both went to Cody.
Moved to the west side as a kid, specifically AP/Melvindale. Maybe we should have a thread for Downriver Rats, huh? Love to visit both areas when ever I get a chance to get home. Now living in Indy (Go Colts!).

Fredgarvin

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, when I think about it, my Grandparents owned a soda shop on Plymouth and Auburn called Flip's, west of Southfield. Apparently I used to hang out there eating candy as a kid, but don't remember it. Mom went to Tappan.

Ptero

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry and family were from our church. A true family business, most of them 'worked' at the store.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 938
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred Garvin, are you the male strumpet that needs a truss?

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call Detroitplanner. Not many remember a good SNL character.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 940
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use the name too when asked (restraunt waiting lines).

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilarious. A friend and I have used it for years when calling each other at work, paging in bowling alleys, etc. Use it as my default user name on websites.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3599
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jjaba! I decided to poke my head over here on the westside thread... no wonder you guys have a decent amount of posts... the same 6 of you keep posting!! :-) (I know, I should talk!)

Anyway, Gannon, over on the eastside we may have the fish flies for about a week every summer, but they are part of the ecosystem (clean water). They are only a problem if you live within a mile of the water (fortunately I live 1.25 miles). And besides we get the breezes off the lake to cool things down a tad during the hot days of summer.

And speaking of summer, it's always nice to watch the regatta's sailing on Lake St. Clair in the summer...

1st_sgt

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite foods of Old (my time) Detroit;

Hamburger- Choice of a Million on Fort St. or White Castle. (cooked with lots of onions)

Chinese food-Ho Ho Inn (Cantonese). (Hung Sui York) (I don’t remember where maybe near belle isle, or 12th St ?). Or the Chinese restaurant on Michigan Ave, in Dearborn.( I can't remember the name) I can't find any place that servers it down here.

(Do they still use new or old Dearborn for determining a location?)

Chicken-Chicken Delight.(Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight).

Stakes- Top of the Flame (top price too).

Hot Dogs- SS Kreskes(Spelling?) or from the Ball Park.

Sub- Kmart

Ice Cream cone- Mr. Softie.

Ice Cream- Sealtest. (Made near Grandma's house. On Trumbull?)

Potato Chip-Better Made ( We had one day a year at school were you could order a small bag for a nickel in the morning and it as many bags as you ordered was delivered before leaving at the end of day).

Pop- Faygo Cream Soda.

Wonder bread. They made it at the end of my Grandma's Street (Butternut and Trumbull) it smelled so good)

Candy- Snaps. (I don't know if it was made in Detroit but it's the only place I have ever gotten any from.) My Mom would buy a large box and send it to me where ever I was stationed).

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born in Women`s Hospital, 1962. Kindergarten in the Portables at Cerveny, First grade through mid-sixth at Isaac Crary Elementary where I got bussed to Warren G. Harding through the Eighth Grade. Then off to Cass Tech where I was totally overwhelmed by what was expected of a High School Student. Talk about getting by by the skin of your teeth! Especially math. What a horrifying four years-I think my guidance counsellor Mr. Lucci was glad to be rid of me!

Michmeister

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born in Women`s Hospital, 1962. Kindergarten in the Portables at Cerveny, First grade through mid-sixth at Isaac Crary Elementary where I got bussed to Warren G. Harding through the Eighth Grade. Then off to Cass Tech where I was totally overwhelmed by what was expected of a High School Student. Talk about getting by by the skin of your teeth! Especially math. What a horrifying four years-I think my guidance counsellor Mr. Lucci was glad to be rid of me!

Citygurl
Username: Citygurl

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another West sider here...
Grew up on Rutherford and West Chicago
Went to OLGH elementary but church and school, convent and rectory all sold now
was a Rosary Girl which is now WCCC
Cody and at that time Brooks Junior High across street from OLGH alot of kids attended
St Suzanne was rival parish and NEVER do anything in cop canyon...everywhere else was ok
Horse barn and Rouge park pool were unbeatable
Anyone remember the Atlas theater on Plymouth road
How about crusin' Graph?
Uncle Sams on Schoolcraft was a place to be seen.
Have I triggered any memories?

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have for me Citygurl. The Atlas was near my Dad's house at Abington and Plymouth. Crusin Telegraph was the thing to do. Also, I was a regular at Uncle Sams (especially during the disco era, but I'd rather not talk about that). I know my Mom talked a lot about the Rouge pools. She went there a lot.

Helpwanted
Username: Helpwanted

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

loved reading all of this. i hope you all don't mind but......

Born at Mt. Carmel Hospital Detroit 1963
Brought home to: West Dearborn/Mayfair St/Outer Drive
Schools: K-2 Ten Eyke/ 2-4 family moved to Gibralter subdivision bussed to school one year in woodhaven, next year in rockwood/4-8 moved back to Dearborn (east side)Hemlock/Jonathon corner house across from Hemlock Park went to Lowrey School(hung out with bad girls from St. Alphonsus and friends who lived around wyoming and tireman streets)8-12 moved again to West Dearborn on Pelham between Outer Drive and Rotunda Drive. Graduated Edsel Ford 1981

Michmeister

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born 1962 at Women`s Hosp. lived on Annott for the first few years before we moved to Hampshire for a year before we settled in on Whitcomb.Went to Kindergarten at Cerveny in the portables, grade school at Crary until getting bussed to Harding in the middle of the sixth grade. Finally went to Cass Tech where I was absolutely bowled over, jeeez-o-peetes, ya gotta work here! THOUROUGHLY under prepared for High School at Warren G. Harding Middle School. Played baseball for Holy Cross Lutheran and was a Boy Scout, Troop at Victory Ev. Lutheran Church. If anyone knows Steve Legget, tell him thanks for being a mentor to a boy who grew up without a father in the house.

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid I stayed at my grandmas place a lot.Kentucky & Grand River / Wyoming, is that right? The 96 x-way took the house.
My mom say she knows where it is on the x-way. I don't....but we would shop at Grand River & Oakman. There was a Sears there I think. And then later there was a Jehovah's Wittness Asembly hall in that area. I also lived on Freeland when I was young. I think Fenkell was close to Freeland. Is that right? I remember getting in trouble by my mom for peeing in the street in front of our house as a kid on Freeland. Fun times

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born in 1956 Brent General Hospital on Dexter
Lived on 14000 block of Greenlawn between Chalfonte & Eaton. From 67 on Burt Rd & Fenkell. Clinton Elementary until 67 then Burt Elementary then Redford HS. Played baseball at Butzel Park in the 60's & later on other Westside Fields. Have lot's of memories of places- the Redford Theater, Rouge ice rink & pool, tennis at Stoepel park # 1, Hockey at O'Shea Rec center & Winter Wonderland Ice Arena ( worked there too ). Used to hang out at Jordan's on the River Lounge back in the day. Remember Uncle Sam's Nightclub on Telegragh & Schoolcraft? What a club.
Here's some names that might ring a bell: West Seven Youth Club ( baseball )
Tri-County Hockey League
Barney McCosky Baseball on Joy Rd.
West Side Cubs Athletic Club.

many many more

Citygurl

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah...Fredgarvin, Sounds like we were just two of the many huh? Great times and dearly held memories. And there was nothing wrong with the disco....we were cool and you know it! Nobody could beat us during our time.
It does sadden me to see the old places (or where the used to be) now. I admit...I've shed a tear or two over it all. The places we all remember and what we did shaped us into what we are today. I am grateful and feel lucky to have those memories and times...let none of us forget...

Fredgarvin

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citygurl, we probably danced together once or twice. I was the one in the Quiana shirt and feathered hair. Also, I know you loved my platform shoes. By the way, while we're on Telegraph, remember Farrells Ice Cream? The best.

Citygurl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fredgarvin, oh do you remember the pig trough at Farrell's? You got the blue ribbon if you could finish it...an announcement to the entire parlor, and a few who threw up outside!! It took two guys to carry the thing to the table. Oh my gosh, that was you in those platforms?!? (I thought you did not want to talk about this.) Ha! If only I had saved those pictures...
Korvettes parking lot was a way to see all the muscle cars...I hear the kids go to the 50's McDonalds now near Graph and Van Born to show off the wheels now...I have seen them up there on summer nights. They also have started an annual Cruise on Graph day during July. I think this will be the third year for it. Kinda like the Woodward one, only for us west siders who did Telegraph in the day. I swear though...the best cars were driven by those our age and not many younger kids even had nearly what we did. So, you see, we still cannot be beat!

Fredgarvin

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My telegraph cruzin went from Michigan Ave south to Annpolis and back. Also, at Farrells, if you finished the trough you got to sign the wooden rack that it came in. Only got to do that once. I know there's a downriver cruise as well on Fort Street through Southgate/Trenton. Man, you're really bringin back the memories for a former westsider now living in Indy!

1st_sgt

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936,
I remember Jerry's Bikes. Great store, had any bike part needed.
I got my first 2 wheeler there. It was a small "English racer” with one speed, skinny tires and a leather seat. It was made in the Czech Republic. It was all metric. My dad fumed every time He had to work on it. His tools were all English. (He didn’t comply to metric until years later.)
He was a machine repair machinist by trade and would not use a crescent wrench or pliers. "The tool had to fit or it would strip the bolt/nut".
I learned the hard way about taking care of tools. It has stuck till this day.
(Note for the experts: a "good" spanking does work).

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3777
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry's Bikes was that the place that used to be on Livernois across from UD between Six Mile and Puritan?

Ptero

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry's Bicycles was on the south side of Grand River a block or so away from Wyoming. They later opened other stores but they were all in the burbs.

Gannon

Post Number: 8279
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Helpwanted,

We've crossed paths, too.

Tom Hoagland was just back in town to direct a stage play at a small theater company he helped found near Greektown...you'll see us talk about the Abreact on the Connections side.

I went to St. Als 1981, and was friends with Hoagland throughout high school, after we met at a city of Dearborn jobs program between 9th and 10th grades.

Cheers.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow the west side.
Born in Dearborn
Raised in Green Acres (8 mile and Woodward)
Went to Pasteur Elementary for a few years, then to
GESU (6mile and Livernois)
Benedictine HS (Outer Drive and Southfield Fwy)
the WSU
Now back living less then a mile from where I grow up. My mom still live in the house in Green Acres.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3778
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mthouston when did you go to pastuer?

Fredgarvin

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, here goes:
Born - Highland Park
Raised Inkster, Allen Park (went to Melvindale High)class of '75.
College - HFCC/WSU
Now living in Indy (Go Colts!)

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 712
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mthouston when did you go to pastuer?

Kindergarten to 3rd grade. 1969 to 1972 appox.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_stylin...I think you're thinking of Mike's Bike Shop. On the west side of Livernois directly across from U of D. It was Mike Walden's and later it was Mike ??? can't think of the last name. I owned 3 bikes from that place. My parents bought the first two and I bought the 3rd from the hard earned profits from my paper route.

Whatever the name of the place was, they definitely had the best selection of tires, handlebar tape, horns, decals, streamers, mud flaps, reflectors, headlights, and hubba-hubbas (anybody remember those?) and all that other cool bike gear that every kid in my neighborhood HAD to have.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3782
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I think that was it. But i definitely know that that was the location. I remember going with my brothers and walking from Prairie and Pembroke to Outer Drive and walking the rest of the way down Livernois to the shop so my brothers can buy reflectors, and mirrors and other things for the various bikes that they had then.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric W., I used to go to Jordans, we called it Jordans on the River Niger in honor of a play at the Fisher in about 1974. Did you go to the Cartwheel too?

Anyway, we're classmates. I probably know you.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 957
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sprent my 21st birthday at Jordan's on the River getting HAMMERED! I spent the night on my brother's bathroom floor!

Gannon

Post Number: 8293
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I spent MY 21st birthday at the Rivertown Saloon.

Jim, the night owner (never met his daytime partner) was PISSED.

He had been serving me for over two years.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 960
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom went to high school with Jim.

Chuckles

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westsiders, did you buy your loved one a Vermont Teddy Bear yet...?

"I didn't know it was so big"...

"I want to kiss it and kiss it"

We will be talking about this Teddy Bear 20 years from now...

regards

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 984
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brought home from Holy Cross hospital (on the East side!) to this house on Braille (18556)
went to Holcomb elementary, bought penny candy at the little store across the street form school. Went to the Methodist church on Evergreen just north of 7 mile, went with my mom to vote at the synagogue just south of there.
Did most of our regular shopping at the 7 mile Evergreen area--Epps sporting goods, First mens clothes, shopper fair supermarket, Star bakery. My sister Nancy worked at the one hour Martinzing dry cleaners on 7.
My Dad had the car gassed up and serviced at the Gulf station on the north side of Braille/7.
O'Brien's drug store on the end of our block (7 mile/Braille) had Friday night fish and chips from the fin and feather on 7. Ventured over the GR/Lahser to shop at Miller's feed store, Iverson's bakery and of course, went to the movies at the Redford theatre and never really left (I'm involved with the MCTOS operation of the Redford, have been since '73). Belonged to the YMCA @ 7/Lahser, went swimming at the Rouge pools, ice skating at the Rough rinks (hot chocolate in the pavillion) Went to Edgewater park with my folks when very young (pre '64) but never after that, too many "rough characters" there after that. Took the Grand river bus to Grandriver/greenfield to Federal's for scouting needs, went with my older sisters on the GR bus to Downtown Hudson's, bought presents for my folks in the section that only kids could shop in, had gifts for parents under $5, they would wrap them so that the folks wouldn't see. Went downtown with my Dad a lot, he worked at the Bell building. Went with my Dad and brothers boating on the Detroit river (little 16' wood boat, outboard motor) which occasionally got me over to the east side (the smell of the Uniroyal plant could give you an all day headache).
Moved in '69 to NE Livonia, "wonder years" sort of life after that.

Braille-1964

Brougham

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Chevy station wagon the family had ! Looks a chevy 1968-69 ? Sounds like a lot of good memories for around NW Detroit !

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You shopped at Gozzie's for your candy(I don't remember how it was spelled but that's how it sounds.

56packman

Post Number: 986
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1963 Chevy Bel Air, I have another picture I might post over on the station wagon thread

Brougham

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

House at Move In 1961

13231 Strathmoor at Move In 1961

House at Move Out 1974

13231 Strathmoor at Move Out 1974

House as it looks today ~ 2006

13231 Strathmoor today 2006

Keep it going WestSiders !

Heres the evolution of my old homestead. 1961-1974-2006. Located on Strathmoor between Schoolcraft and tyler. The first picture was from the realtor and shows a price of 16,500.
A lot of money in those days ! As you can see the brick structure seems to have held up well.
Of course the house next door is boarded up...

Attended Burns elementary, Cadillac jr high, Cooley and Redford high. Safety patrol with helmet and white belt.

O'Shea park for little league and handball, tennis
Butzel for swimming. Rouge for swimming and diving (had to hitch hike sometimes) Rollerink at Greenfield north of Grand River. American Legion (son of member) every Monday night.

Worked at Winter Wonderland rink getting the ice started in late summer. Worked at Dunkin Donuts on Greenfield. Local grocers: Cadions on Hubbel and Perrys and Rexall drugs on Schoolcraft. Delivered the Gazzette paper.

Dining: Red Devils, Rinas, Henrys, Ardmore fish & chips, snacks bar on Grand River, and McD's at Grand River and Fenkell.

Sister worked at downtown bank and would take me by Grand River bus on shopping trips to Hudsons and Hughes & Hatcher etc.

Dad worked at American Motors on Plymouth rd. He always had cool cars he brought home. You can see a purple AMX in the drive way of the 1974 pic.

We had a blast as kids in NorthWest Detroit there was always stuff happening and places to go

Eric_w

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette
Went to Cartwheel a couple times but it seemed the crowd was older-most in their late 20's.
To Brougham
About when did you work at Winter Wonderland? I worked there from 76-78 when Stan Aldridge was the owner.

Quozl

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I skated at Winter Wonderland on Schoolcraft when it was an outside rink. I forgot what year they enclosed it but the last time I skated there was around '73.

Brougham

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Quozl, I worked there in Aug 1970 and Aug 1971 I believe, so it was a little before your time. The rink owner was a widow lady, I think.
My connection was through a neighbor (Mr Visnau), I worked as his assistant getting the ice started. We would do hourly spraying to build up enough of a layer before the Zamboni was able to come out and finish building up. They had me doing some odd jobs as well such as cutting the lawn out etc.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was gonna post my memories but 56Packman beat me to it. Same place....same time?? Sure brought back a bunch of good memories. I grew up one street over from Braille.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4834
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brougham, amazing. Get some new trees. It looks nude, eh.
jjaba

Jjaba

Post Number: 4835
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok lurks and then bitches us out for posting.
How you de-bone fish flies?

jjaba, LOL. Gistok, you know so much. Stick with theaters, we love ya.

56packman

Post Number: 993
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I look at pictures of my old Detroit neighborhood (or any Detroit neighborhood) and there are two distinct eras--before Dutch elm disease and after

Brougham

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba You are right, some decent trees are needed. I remember the poplar tree behind the house was awesome. When the wind blew hard the leaves made quite a clatter. Of course it wasn't much fun raking those leaves my friend.
And 56packman has a good point, we lost a lot of elm trees back then.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been a LOOONG time since I last posted anything on this site. But just 2 inform y'all about a humble eastisder (moi) that's got nothing but mad love 4 the westside. I will throw the 'dub' sign up without hestiation or reservation, baby! I am a westsider @ heart if it's any consolation 2 anybody. Most of my jobs were (and still remain) on the westside, most of my family (although originally from Alabama) still stay on the westside. And being an employee of DPS, some of the best schools I've worked at were on the westside. I'll run it down 4 all y'all;

Henry Ford HS (my current location)
Franlikn Adult Ed. (across from Tiger Stadium)
(The old) Cass Tech HS
Millenium HS (across from Redford HS)
Holcomb Elem. (not 2 far from Redford HS)
Cody HS (the 1st school I worked at-January 1996)
Murray-Wright HS
Dossin Elem.
Gardner Elem. (not 2 far from Cody)
Phoenix Academy
Higgins (Across from Woodmere Cemetery)
Harms Elem.
O.W. Holmes
Monnier MS
Academy of (the)Americas
Medicine Bear (@ Fort Wayne-if it's still open)
Chadsey HS/Munger Academy (they're connected)
AND A WHOLE LOT MORE!!

Since we're still on the subject, I'll even run down some of my favourite DOT (westside) bus lines that would literally give the eastside a makeover!
Crosstown
Greenfield
Evergreen
Chicago-Davison
7 Mile
Dexter
Baker (W. Vernor back in the day)
Livernois
Schaefer
Grandbelt
Tireman
Grand River
Gratiot-Michigan (they split again last I heard)
And my TOP favourite bus route, y'all;
THE IMPERIAL EXPRESS!!! (that bus line did NOT @#$% around when most of us-myself included-were growing up-lol. I don't know about today seeing that I drive my butt off 2 get 2 my destinations 99 out of 100% of the time.)

Would you believe me if I told you good folks that i know the westside-to this day-better than I do the eastside? though I was born and raised on the eastside? Perhaps because of the enviroment i was surrounded with from childhood till now I was exposed to it more. that would be the only reason that I can think of. Which leads me 2 my next question 4 the westsiders of Detroit: What 7 (westside) streets run through the city and suburbs on TWO occasions? Hint: the 2nd time-depending on which direction you're going-it divides between Detroit and it suburban counterpart. Here they are:

Warren
Tireman
Ann Arbor Trail* [Paul Ave. on the eastside of Evergreen]
Greenfield
Dix
Schaefer (Coolidge)
Outer Drive

*Ann Arbor Trail (on both occasions that it runs through Detroit does so for only two blocks)

1 more thing before I depart 2 another thread just 2 prove that I still got love 4 the other side of Woodward/John R. and this one deals with a suburb out in Oakland county that used to be a train station LONG before Oakland County was even named as such. some of you may already know this.

I asked my friends and family (who are eastsiders by the way-very few of 'em came from the westside) about the city of Novi. and when I found out how Novi originated over 155 years of its existence, I just had to share it with folks. Novi was originally the No.vi train station between Detroit and Lansing in 1851, then as the area populated, it became a small village, then a township and eventually one of the well populated suburban attractions in Oakland county (from what I read and heard anyway). But I tell people to this day. 'When you take N-, o, dot, v-, i-, (number 6 written in roman numeral form)you get 'Novi'. BTW, I used 2 work in Novi and I LOVED IT! one time i went to the Borders books and music in Novi, and i made a purchase and told the cashier that I had a good time here in 'train staion no.6' and that threw her WAY off (seeing that I was a black dude form the hood-obviously) and she asked me how did I know about that little tidbit of information. Simple. I read the history books about Detroit and its outskirts, and I had a subscription to HOUR Detroit magazine ( I might re-subscribe, i don't know yet). But like I said at the outset, I got nothing but LOVE 4 the westside because I have a long, vivid history with it. Besides, I work OT on the westside AND get my money on time (unlike the eastside). And if anybody remembers that Shaquille O'Neal tune from some years gone by "I like playing on the westside, even though I miss playing on the eastside". Besides, despite all this ramblin' on I've been doing on this thread, y'all just gave me FURTHER reason 2 move on the westside. Heck, I wanna live closer 2 my job anyway. These gas stations are killin' me (lol)!

WAXX

BTW, I'm currently attending school on the westside also, like I did in the past (HFCC, WCCCD to name a few).

Eric_w

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI... on Winter Wonderland Arena. It was owned by John & Grace McErlane. Mr. McErlane died in 1966 about when they enclosed it. Their relatives helped run it the O'Neals. They Owned I believe the old Grandway bar but I might be wrong. Other folks that worked there were Detroit firemen & police on their off days.
It was home to a great hockey league the Tri- County which produced some exceptional players.During it's heyday it was the place for amateur hockey in SE Michigan.

Brougham

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_w

Thanks Eric, you affirmed my memory of there being a widow owner when I worked there 70-71.
By the way, I have a scar under my chin as a souvenir from my time there. I'd like to say I took one for the team but it no, just a simple fall on my face incident.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4838
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAXX, add Noble School, Tappan Intermediate, and the Northlawn bus to your list. See what your young-ass can find out about them.
Welcome to the Westside Forum. You be the one!

jjaba, Westsider.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4840
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAXX amazes jjaba with more knowledge about the Westside than us.

Anybody know if Rina's is still there? I think they are long gone, eh. They were pizza before Mike Illich and Tom Managhan were even fucking born. Damn, I miss that little joint.

jjaba, Proud Westside newsboy.

Eric_w

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some other places on the westside- Used to go to the old Irving theater on Fenkell & Blackstone before it turned into a porn theater. Other movie house: The Norwest, The Redford ,The West Town later the West on Wyoming & Fenkell & The Old Riviera. For fish & chips Bet & Jessies on Grand River and Scotty Simpson's on Dolphin & Fenkell ( Still there ). In high school I worked as a busboy at the Snow White Dining room in Rosedale Park. Then later there was Maria's Pizza in Grand River that was a great spot for italian food.It started as a simple a carryout pizzeria then evolved into a good sized full service restaurant. Earl Morrall's sporting goods on Grand River east of Southfield, Grandland shopping center at the "point" Fenkell & Southfield. Checker Drugs on Fenkell with the bowling alley upstairs.
How many remember the old Family Buggy restaurant on 6 mile? When I was in high school a lot of kids had their first jobs there.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the name of the little burger joint in the (late) 70's on the north side of Grand River west of Redford High School and east of Lahser? It was a little white colored building across the street from a bank. The cross street with Grand River was either Burgess or Greydale.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The burger joint was Albert's - delicious cheeseburger with onions.

Eric_w

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ate there a bunch of times. On one of the local news shows years ago they featured Albert's as a good cheap place to eat.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Secretary of State still located one block east of Grand River and Evergreen at the corner of Grand River and Bretton Drive?

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: