Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » West Siders of the forum.... » West Siders of the forum - 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3830
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am surprised that people continue to forget about "The Merc" (Mercury Theater), on six mile and Wymong(?). That was one of my favorite neighborhood theaters...

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marias Pizza now open on 9 mile in Ferndale.
Son? now runs it.Father ran Grand River location. FYI

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stylin
Didn't forget-I was naming places I went to a lot.You're right it was beautiful. I went there one time saw " Gone With the Wind" when I was 14 or so in 1970 or 71. Those flourescent murals along the walls were very cool.
Schoolcraft-
Went to Ferndale location once but I miss the old place. Isn't the Name there something like " Maria's Front Room"? What I recall most about Maria's on Detroit was the little cozy dining room they had before they started adding on. It had a tiny 2 seat bar & maybe the smallest Salad bar ever- actually a large salad bowl with the garnishes hanging in small dishes off it. It had great atmosphere. That stretch of Grand River had several great eateries: Chuck Joseph's, Bar Thom's and Cregar's on the "River" & Outer Drive. There was also an IHOP nearby too. Used to have all u could eat pancakes for about 59 cents.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost forgot, I worked at the little caesars on greenfield next to freds food alcove during highschool, played baseball for holy cross lutheran and in early years was a boy scout-troop 365 at victory ev. lutheran church on puritan.Oooooooh oooooooh, growing uuuuuuup! Seems like a million years ago on another planet.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3835
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the name of the old Pizza Place that fronted 6 Mile on the NW corner of Livernois?

I remember they had the best fried mushrooms I have had before or since...

Also does anyone remember the arcade that sat on the NW corner of Curtis and Livernois across from the firestation to the east and Ruby Cleaners to the south?

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

add Noble School, Tappan Intermediate, and the Northlawn bus to your list. See what your young-ass can find out about them.

Jjaba, Noble I might remember. But Tappan Intermediate (Middle School 2 us younger folks-lol) I can't recall @ the moment. And BTW, my young-@$$ don't remember a Northlawn bus (lol)-didn't residential streets had their own bus lines back in the day. But it's all good (in the hood). I remember the Wards on [the NE corner of] Gd. River and Greenfield, the Meyer Jeweler on the SW corner of the same intersection, the Cunningham Drugs on the NW corner, (was it Kingsway-the old Federal's store?) Mammoth's on the SE corner. I remember the Kingsway on Gd. River and Oakman where Plymouth ended. In that same area there was Cunnigham's Drugs, a Michigan Nat'l Bank, and a Frigidare shop-the Frigidare shop out lived ALL that! Up 2 the late 1990s if I'm not mistaken. I remember the Olympia Stadium (after the Red Wings moved out) and little league hockey teams would play until it was razed in 87-the same year Chrysler bought AMC. The Sears on Woodward (me and my old man went there RELIGIOUSLY in the 80s), Highland Appliance down the street-same era, Joy and Greenfield where there used 2 be an A&P [later Farmer Jack], Joe Randazzo, AND an A&W-and this was last seen in the early 90s! I was shocked when I found out that the 1st generation of the Ford family is buried by the Catholic church where most of that intersection was his farmhouse and in the 70s there was a catholic school there and it was closed down. Later the (condemned) WCCCD Northwestern Campus was built there-I'll be glad when they open the new one.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_Stylin...the pizza place at 6 and Livernois was Gregg's. There's a McDonald's on the site now.

Can't help you with the name of the arcade across from Ruby's (Cobo) Cleaners.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gregg's is still there..it's on the eastern side of the street, across from McDonalds. Gregg's has been in that location since at least 1992 when I started working in the neighborhood. Was it really where McDonald's is at one time?

Gary

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the original Gregg's Pizza sat on the northwest corner of McNichols and Livernois before moving across the street. The Varsity Theater also took up a good part of that block at one time.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see old pictures of the area. I work at Gesu School and would also love to hear some stories from Gesu alumni.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4850
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tappan Intermediate was located at Tuller and Elmhurst. It was a cream brick art deco masterpiece of the 1930s and recently razed after abandonment.
Many younger folks only know it from the I-96 freeway views. But tis gone now.

The Northlawn bus ran from Cunninghams Drugstore on the NW corner of Oakman Blvd. and Grand River. It turned W on Grand River, up Northlawn to Schoolcraft, W to Wyoming, N to Intervale, W to Greenlawn, and back down to Grand River. It was a feeder bus for the Grand River electric line and ran heavy at rush hrs. It also carried Noble School kids on nasty days when walking was hard. The line obviously got fouled when I-96 cut the streets at Davison. Noble School is on Fullerton and Ohio.

jjaba, Westside Memories.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4851
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba attended K-7th at Noble.
8-9th at Tappan Intermediate.
10-12 at Cass Tech. HS Printing Dept.

13 yrs. at DPS, 1946-1959.

jjaba, Westsider.

Waxx

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tappan Intermediate was located at Tuller and Elmhurst. It was a cream brick art deco masterpiece of the 1930s and recently razed after abandonment.
Many younger folks only know it from the I-96 freeway views. But tis gone now.

Come 2 think of it Jjaba, I remember seeing that building there-but I didn't know the name or even AFTER I started working 4 the Board of Ed.-along I-96/Oakman area. I used 2 work 4 the Starghill Bros. (nephews of the late Willie Starghill) who own some businesses in that area and I'd pass that abandoned school constantly. Tappan had a slight resemblance to Monnier [Schoolcraft-Gd. River area]. I only worked there for a day or two. BTW when was Tappan closed? 80s, or 90s?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Holcomb, it's a really beautiful building.

My parents loved the Snow White restaurant.

Did anybody go to the Little Riv, right by the Redford Theater?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The little lunch counter place, heck yea!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The jukebox was broken, so if you were a smart kid you'd split a huge order of well-done fries with your friends and play the box all day long.

Waxx

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember [and miss] the Norwest. I saw the Nutty Preofessor there. And I think 'A thin line between love and hate' was showing there also. I choose these older historic theaters over these state-of-the-art joints ANYDAY of the week, y'all.

The acoustics ARE OFF THE M.F.'N CHAIN!

I plan 2 check out the Redford 1 of these days-esp. when they have a bodybuilding competition or show old movies including Sean Connery 007 flicks!

Michmeister

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing the old Billy Jack movies at the Norwest, as well as Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Blues Brothers about a million times each for a buck. Kills me to think that it is all gone.

Waxx

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAXX amazes jjaba with more knowledge about the Westside than us.

Hey, that just goes 2 show ya, NEVER judge some1 B4 U get 2 know 'em better(lol). BTW, I posted this next question on the Old Car Dealership(s)thread-but have yet 2 get a response. Maybe 1 of you good people crosstown can help me out with this one. What was the name of that Olds Dealer on 7 Mile and James Couzens? It closed in '91, I believe. I used 2 ride the Imperial Bus alot when I was a teenager, and the name just keep slippin' my mind 4 some reason. And Whatever happened 2 the Dreisbach Family? I know Don Massey owns that lot now-but what about the longtime family who spent generations @ 7 & Grand River? Just curious.
does anybody remember the Fire Station that used 2 be there [later an A&W, now a gas station]?

BTW, Jjaba. Check out the thread I posted about Redford Twp. (in the Redford Twp. thread), it might just blow your mind! AND check out the thread I posted on the Dequindre Cut thread as well. I think U'll be surprised at how well very few of us younger folk(s) know their city. That's 1 thing my pops [who's from Montgomery, Alabama] ALWAYS tells me: "Get 2 know your city."

Eric_w

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the Redford Theater- I have gone to their annual Halloween show plenty of times. people dress up in costumes when they attend and the folks there usually build a display in the orchestra pit associated with the movie. Plus the vintage pipe organ- lot's of fun, i plan to go there in March to see "The Maltese Falcon "
Years ago next to the Redford there was a nice candy store Masters and a Coney Island a few doors away: Christo's.
Sno White's? Worked there in 1973 as a busboy. The Nau's that owned it went bankrupt and closed up owing many of their former employees money.It was pretty classy- One day a week during lunch they had held a fashion show from Brayton's of Rosedale.
Some former car dealers : Emmert Chevrolet-Evergreen & Grand River, Mulligan Mercury on Grand River, Porterfield Wilson Pontiac Grand River between Southfield & Greenfield. Dexter Chevrolet on 8 mile,Klett Cadillac on Grand River & Trinity.
What about Daly's on Burt Rd & Grand River plus other places- great " Daly Dogs", shakes & burgers- there were other but that one right down the street from me.

56packman

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand River @ night-early 60's

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to Daly's on Sunday morning, after grabbing a Christ the King "Broadcast" - that way my parents thought I had gone to mass and I could have my well done french fries dipped in a Daly chocolate milkshake. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

there's still a Daly's in Livonia. Big soft hamburgers and awesome coneys still on the menu.

56packman

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a shot of the Redford, Master's candies is on the right, although the utility pole obstructs the sign. Nick Masters was a great local businessman. When we started the bi-weekly movie series in '78 (which is still going today) Masters candies was our day box office. He sold our tickets, our customers all bought his candy.
This picture was taken in January of 1975, the week we had Gloria Swanson live and in person. She was about five foot nothing, 98 lbs., and a health food advocate at a time when that was less common than today.

Redford in jan. '75

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can see the sign at McManus Beauty Salon just to the right. My mother had her hair done there every Tuesday for 15 years.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom and dad went on many a date at Rina's Pizza on Schaefer Hwy when they were in high School. We went there all the time on Saturday nights for pizza, spaghetti and the like. I remember the owner giving me a bowl of chi-chi beans and anchovies all the time as I loved 'em.

Bette & Jesse's on Grand River, a Lenten staple on Friday evenings and many times during the year. First hamburger at the McDonald's on Grand River west of Southfield Fwy, dad would not buy us White Castle as he said it was made out of rat meat.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 1:20 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
There were two of them. "Barry's" was one, and "Harry's War Surplus" was the other. Front of the store was painted bright yellow. They were on the north side of Grand River a block or two east of the Sears store at Grand River and Oakman.

The plant that blew up, around 1962 or so, was the old Ditzler Color plant. What they made I can't recall, but I was at 7 mile and Southfield and heard that explosion. Plant was on Oakman south of Grand River. Blew out windows for miles around.

...my family's lore holds that they thought there was some sort of an attack. They lived in an apartment on Wyoming and were scared witless for a few minutes.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrendale here as well
7725 Evergreen from birth till 2 years old
6410 Warwick from 2 till 5
6700 Greenview from 5 till 18

I went to George Washinton Carver elem from 5th till 7th, but the rest of my education was outside of Detroit.

Hangouts:
Dog House Coney Island
Chicks Bar
Big Boy on Ford Rd.
L Georges Coney Island
Movie Mainia Video
Rouge Park

Grandma Lived on Archdale
Uncle Still lives on Archdale
another Uncle lives on Rosemont

Had friends on Plainview, West Parkway, Ashton, brace, and penrod.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3081
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great pics, pacman...I had forgotten about the stunning neon of "The Big M" (Mulligan Lincoln Mercury)...The owner of that dealership moved to Rosedale Park and ran for mayor in the late seventies. Obviously he lost, and the dealership left town around 1980. Emmert Cheverolet soon followed.
My folks were Baskin-Robbins addicts, so at least once a week they would drive from Burt Road to the Baskin-Robbins just east of Evergreen (I am indifferent to Ice Cream to this day!)
Friends of mine rented the apt above Master's Candies in the mid to late 80's; they had less than flattering things to say about Nick Masters, but the guy made some good chocolate.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3082
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Did anybody go to the Little Riv, right by the Redford Theater"
Oh man, that place was a trip. Run by a couple old ladies who got all their food from Kroger's...It was like dining in a David Lynch film.
Since Little Riv was not so high on the Old Redford dining scale, my mom would often take me to Albert's or Meyer's Rexall Lunch counter when I was quite small. Later, The China Clipper became a Barnes family destination, and due to the high level of MSG in the food, I would usually drink about 12 glasses of water.
Albert's owner stayed on well into the nineties, I was saddened to hear that he paid for his devotion to the neighborhood by being shot and killed in a robbery a few years ago.

Repeater
Username: Repeater

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I'd seen this post before. I lived on St. Marys between Wadsworth and Capitol. Went to Coolidge and Cody graduated in Jan.66. Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts at Grandale Presbyterian Church. Hung out at Dalys on Greenfield. Big Boys by Grand River and Blazo's to cause trouble. Worked at Detroit Diesel till 89. Moved up north to Traverse City area and am working at the South Pole.

56packman

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnes-if you look closely at the b&w photo of Grand River I posted above (which came out of my "let's drive right" driver's training book ca. 1975) you will see the Fleishman carpet sign
(sort of a backwards 7 on the right side of the street) that is about the only sign still left in that picture today. Fleishman is still there, still selling carpet.
Ah, the little Riv. I like your David Lynch analogy---very succinct. When our group bought the Redford theatre in 1977 we became the landlord of the little Riv building. We had a tenant in there that ran a pizza carry out operation, the father of the young guy who ran Christo's coney island down the street. It became a pain after they left, no one wanted that small space so we tore it down.
Nick Masters was a pretty good guy to us, we had a lot to offer each other, and all got along well socially. a landlord-tenant relationship is bound to be different. Did you ever eat at Mary's diner (directly across the street from the theatre)? that was our favorite place. She also bought all of her "supplies" at the Chatham's on Grand River. Made good home-style food though. Sad to hear about Albert, he hung in there, doing what he always did. We went over there when he had the grand opening of his increased seating area, he moved a counter back and squeezed in one more 4-top table.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Repeater, sounds like you're from the same area my Dad was from. He grew up near Abington and Capital (or was it Wadsworth?). Went to Cody as well and graduated in '56. Mom was in the 1st house off Plymouth and Minnock (the other side of Southfield) and graduated from Cody in '57. Obviously I know that area well since both sets of Grandparents lived in the area. I mostly remember the great elm trees on Abington as a kid. Remember my Grandfather burning leaves at the curn when that was allowed. Memories.......

Repeater

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Fredgarvin, those elms were beautiful and we used to burn the leaves too. I remember the ruts in the icy street . After I was married and divorced I moved back on Patton by Warren, by that time they had banned burning leaves. I used to ride my bike to Detroit Diesel through Rough Park. Good memories for sure.

Quozl

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandpa always said that the Dutch Elm disease was an omen for bad things to come to Detroit. We had them all up and down Archdale.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3131
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fleischman

Repeater

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I moved back into Detroit on Patton they were mostly gone

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to HFCC with a girl that lived at Warren and Patton. Karol I believe was her 1st name, but don't remember her last. (I do remember she was very short). Used to hang out in that area every once in a while.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1939 Stahaelin - Attended Vetal Elementary and Detroit Open School (as a tike) in the late 70's and early 80's! Anyone remember the woods in Stoepel Park (SCARY)?

Jjaba

Post Number: 4915
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's first pizzas were at Rina's. Many friends would meet there for good food. jjaba discovered hot red pepper seeds there. We never had them at home. Rina's was near to the Schaefer Library and Police Station, across the street from the Gas Tanks and the City DPW Yard.

Tried to "Google" Tappan Intermediate on Tuller and Elmhurst and kept getting Tappan Middle School, Ann Arbor. Truly pathetic. jjaba will keep trying other sources.

jjaba bought his new Plymouth Valiant in 1964 from the dealer, W. Seven Mile Rd. and James Couzens. Was there an Olds dealer nearby? Don't recall.

jjaba, Westsider. At your service.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bought my first car ('51 Ford) from Frost-Avis Ford, on the corner of Grand River and Meyers/Fullerton, across from the Crest Bowling Alley. That was in '54. Shortly after that, Avis sold out his share of the dealership and founded.....yup, you guessed it.....Avis Rent-A-Car. Same guy.

Anyone remember Brunch Drive-in on Tireman, between Schaefer and Greenfield?

(Message edited by Ray1936 on February 28, 2007)

Waxx

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, it was later on, I think. In '91 there were murals and signs that read 'Oldsmobile'. I forgot the name, but the lot-I didn't know this then-was pretty much dead which explains why it was shut down a year or so later with 'Farrakhan' colourfully, I might add, spray painted all over the exterior walls. Now it's just a distant memory, the main showroom is now a used lot, other buildings were converted into laundromats, convenience store(s), and so forth. If one day I drive through there again, I'll take a picture and post it here (as long as the thread remains open at least).

Waxx, eastside raised, westside paid-at your service..........

Jjaba

Post Number: 4919
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba lived at Sussex and W. 7 Mile Rd., 1963-65.
Went to Wayne Grad. school from there. Gary's Drugs-Liquor was on corner.

jjaba.

Waxx

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, I wish time travel were possible so I could see Detroit in its prime. I grew up in the 80s and 90s-80s for the most part and from childhood on up I'm just mesmerized-like our good friend, Mr. Boileau the good webmaster of detroityes.com-at the onetime beauty this city once had. Get this, most of my mesmerizations were on the westside [obviously]. I do want to say that to those who post the vintage pics of the city, keep posting them. The younger generation of Detroiters-myself included-needs to see true beauty of the inner city from years gone by. Maybe I'm living backwards, as it were but I'd love to see Detroit in the prime that it was once in-before the riots-and I beleive that it's possible for the inner-city to shine again as it did in the past. Reading threads from you, and Chuckles, and 56Packman, you three oughta be local historians-seriously [in my opinion]! But observing your past experiences in cyberprint, if there is such a thing, just leaves tons of questions both answered and unanswered. And as I stated earlier, I believe that the inner "hoods' can be renewed. But as always politics plays a monumental role on these [sensitive] issues and sometimes are NOT in the favour of the community, but that's a horse of another colour.

Waxx works @ Henry Ford High School on Evergreen and Trojan
Went to WCCCD from 1993-94, 1999
(Eastern and Downtown Campuses)
HFCC in 1997, 2000-01
(Dearborn and Dearborn Hghts. Campuses)
WCCCD 2007-after a LONG absence
(Northwest Campus-soon to be relocated to the U of D Mercy NW Campus on Southfield and Outer Drive

The first school I worked at with DPS as a then-substitute 'custodian' [I prefer janitor] was Frank J. Cody High School on Cathedral [Joy Rd & Southfield] January 1996

Frank Cody was an educator, lecturer, and if I'm not mistaken a traveler (or was that Charles M. Chadsey?-the 'traveler' part). He gave WSU it monniker in honour of Gen. Anthony Wayne and was WSU's first president. What was the previous name of the university, I wish I knew. Charles Chadsey was a traveler, educator, and writer and if I'm not mistaken, a scientist. Lewis Cass and Henry Ford, well, their legacies are BEYOND obvious (lol). Just some info on some of the [westside] high schools I've worked at since '96.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isaac Crary Elementary-Kindergarten Puritan and Abury Park Mrs. Bloomquist (?) - real ass kicker
St. Mary of Redford Miss Moag (?) first grade teacher
Dooley's Bar where after one St Patty's Parade, Black Jack Kelley got whupped and then took the oath
Kelly Playground aka "Oakfield" at Puritan and Oakfield-Parks and Rec guy Dave McWhinnie was there for years, kept us all in line playing sports-his teams probably won several west side softball championships early 70's
White Castle Fenkell/Southfield BUY EM BY THE SACK Jack
Joes' Party Store Fenkell Southfield where Joe had the FIRST neighborhood FROZEN COKE machine
DeVicks Rexall on Fenkell/Prevost or Forrer-old time soda fountain and two for a "benny" black hard licorice drops
Dean's Drugs Puritan/Fenkell-later became Deans Wine Shop
Clems-Puritan/St. Mary Old time small meat/grocery and "benny" candy counter. Clem's wife Cy(?) helped out. "How much for all this garbage, Clem?" "One thin dime."
Perks Party Store-Grand River/Woodmont, across from Dooley's Bar. Dooley Bar too jammed up? Grab a GIQ o' Strohs at Perks and back into Dooley's for shuffleboard and no one's the wiser ;-)
Playing bean bag football in St Mary Street which doubled as playground at lunch for St Mary Elementary "Count to five and wail it, I'll catch it"-TD!!!
After lunch, the playground would halt as they rang the bell signaling kids to line up and head back into school. School Principal Sr. Maxine aka Machine Gun Max would watch from second floor office looking for disgruntled kids and have any dissenters sent up for interrogation. ZIEG!!
St. Mary of Redford winning TWO State Championships in 1977-Boys Class C Basketball and Boys Class C Track

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome Winstin.. I was all about the bean bag football at lunch.
And that front line for the bball team destroyed all Class A schools as well that year.
What was it 7'0, 6'7 6'5.? Great stuff.I have scars(emotional and physical) from Sister Maxine that I still wear proudly.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4922
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAXX, it was called City College, located in Old Main, formerly Detroit Central High School. From there, the college grew in all directions. Much much later, the State of Michigan took over and the Wayne State Univ. was named.

When jjaba was growing up in the 1940s, it was already named Wayne University and till today, jjaba calls his Alma Mater, Wayne University.
The "State" bit came in later than jjaba's boyhood culture. Does that make sense?

Another example would be jjaba always calls it Briggs Stadium. Others renamed it after jjaba was older. He remembers when The Pistons were Detroit Pistons and played at Cobo Hall too.
(He remembers when Scotty Pippen had money. WAXX, save your money.)

jjaba, Proudly Westsider.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schoolcraft? Dunno about 7 footer on that team. They did have Stu House a year earlier, but me thinks he transferred to Denby by '77. Yeah good ol Sr. Maxine-no wonder I have a problem with authority!!

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh Winston, Yeah I got the wrath of Sister Joan after? Sr. Maxine as well. A groomed protege who I felt the wrath of as well.Actually, Stu was recruited from Denby TO St Marys. They provided his family with a home, got his father a job so we could win it all which we did. These things really didnt go on at the high school level and since I am not one to gossip you didnt hear it hear.LOL I find authority always rules.LOL

Waxx

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba amazes waxx with his words of wisdom, truth, and encouragement. I guess that's why I still call Macy's 'Hudson's' (lol). I asked my mom recently. First, Hudson's, then (Marshall) Field's, now Macy's. What's next, Dayton's? I still say Hudson's sometimes. Hey, I worked @ James Couzens Middle School in '98, and eight years later I worked there again after it was renamed Dewey Academy on MLK (Mack on the westside) and the 'temporarily dodged' Lodge Fwy. And 2 blocks up from it was Thomas Jefferson
Elementary School which was then-recently (in the late 90s) closed and was reopened as a Charter School-whether or not it's open to this day I don't know (This was when the dilapidated Jeffries Projects was by it lonesome-I don't even recognize the area anymore). I worked @ CDC-Central Distibution Center-Warehouse, a DPS facility, (the old Lynch Road plant on Mt. Elliot) and I used to go 4 a nice drive on Oakman after work, as well as the Boston-Edison community and I would go for a walk on Oakman from Linwood/Oakman Court ALL THE WAY DOWN To Tireman, and walk all the way back just to look at those nice historic homes-[The] Grosse Pointe(s) ain't got jack (squat) on Oakman except the waterfront. When I got back to my car I was STILL energized, I'd do this for almost the duration of the summer of '97. I lost A LOT of weight doing that, I might just do it again. But I have to start off slow, I don't have the energy that I did at 21 (lol).

Some other (westside) schools I've worked at:

McFarlane (David Mackenzie HS is right around the corner)
Clinton Elem. (on the chopping block from what I saw on the news)
James Couzens (later Dewey) Middle School (keeps rising from the dead from what I hear)
Maybury Elem (across the [Clark] park from Western HS)
The old Carver school (on Paul). [It later relocated to the eastside if I'm not mistaken. (Not 2 far from Cody HS originally)]
Ludington MS on Cambridge and Edinborough (I forgot the original name-jjaba, can you help me out on that one?-But it still remains on the facade(s) of the vestibules at the school)
Columbian Primary (W. Warren and W. Gd. Blvd area)
Hancock Primary (on the outskirts of Murray-Wright HS)

And a few others that'll come to mind later on.

Waxx (aka the urban gypsy on myspace)

(Message edited by waxx on March 01, 2007)

Gary

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what years Stuart House played for St. Mary's, but his family moved to Detroit from St. Louis where he had already played 2 years of high school ball.

He graduated from Denby in '76. As a senior. he played on a great Denby team with 6-7 Rudy Watley and guard James "Sonny" Newman. House later went on to play at Washington State and with the Globetrotters.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary? Yes, I thought Stu had indeed transferred from St. Mary of Redford to Denby. Further, I THOUGHT his father had some connection the the Harlem Globetrotters.

Dentbent
Username: Dentbent

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, we're a generation apart on Appoline. We lived about ten houses down at 8205. It was Detroit 28, Michigan then. My younger sister Mary believes she babysat for you guys. Which house was yours? Down toward the middle of the block going North the owners in the 60's were Novaks, Darlington, Longworth's, Crowley, Ferguson's, Gleed's, Sacks...........

Jjaba

Post Number: 4925
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba grew up in Detroit 4, post office was Joy Rd/Grand River. Near Riveria Theater. Later changed to Detroit 38, PO on Lynden.

jjaba phone number DAvison 9-2949.

jjaba still has his War Ration Stamps and books.

jjaba's first haircut in horsie chair, Hudsons. We took Oakman streetcar and Woodward streetcars to get to Hudsons. For being good boychick, jjaba got a corned beef sandwich and Kosher pickle at Broadway Market behind Hudsons.
jjaba.

56packman

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OY! 25 cents for the matinee!

What time does the Phantom rider serial start?

Waxx

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now THAT is a picture worth 1000 words. Sadly I remember the Riveira in the 90s when it was an empty shell. Does anyone have any pix of the inside?

56packman

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxx--http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/location.asp?ID=611&typ e=5

your one-stop-shop for vintage Detroit theatres

I was in the Rivera in 1980. It was basically all still there, although the basement had flooded, the heating and cooling plant was under 16' of water, there was a high-water mark up to the third row of seats. Stuff started disappearing after that, I began to see light fixtures from the Riv show up at local antique stores (one on main in RO) labeled "from the headmaster's house at Cranbrook"--uh-huh, yea. After that it was just total abandonment then demolition.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4927
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, jjaba at MUSIC MAN in late 1950s watching 76 trombones at Riveria.

Riveria, prevuosly discussed, is located there because of the confluence 7 streetcar lines.
John Eberson's atmospheric theater was a rare, very rare jewel in the theater Golden Age.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

56packman

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point you bring up Jjaba--the Rivera was THE premier live theater venue in Detroit from 1957 until 1961 when the newly remodeled Fisher opened. After they left the Rivera the Nedelanders disabled the stage rigging at the Riv so that no one else could do live theatre there, only movies (again)

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 354
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cregars...didn't the FBI do a sting operation there during the late 70's/early 80's? And does anyone remember the Westside Drive-In on 8 Mile? I think there was a "Kiddieand" right next to it. I remember my parents taking us kids to Kiddieland for carnival rides, then we would watch a Disney flick like "Old Yeller" at the Drive-In.

Quozl

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder why Rustic did not contribute to this thread?

Waxx

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, 56packman. I checked out the link and it was off the chain.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this young west-sider didn't get to spend too much time there - but i've got a few good memories ("good?" i guess) of longacre street at acacia. just down the street from edison elementary where i would've gone to school, had my parents not moved us out to farmington.... i think my parents were happy to get $28000 for our house, back in 1987. not sure if it's worth much more these days.

once, i found a couple quarters near a swingset on the edison playground; kept searching, found a few more... the place was covered in quarters! i must've found $4 that day - a lot of money for a 5 year old.

Waxx

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Jtw.

I don't know how old you are, but back then-I came up in the 80s-that was ballin' back then 4 a kindergartener/1st grader (lol). Question: Is Longacre and Acacia on the outskirts of Grandmont-Rosedale? I worked @ Dossin Elementary school [it's on the chopping block last I heard] which was around or in Grandmont-Rosedale. Just curious.

Quozl

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Longacre and Acacia is in the middle of the Grandmont subdivision.

See: http://www.cis.state.mi.us/pla tmaps/dt_image.asp?BCC_SUBINDE X=2239

Eric_w

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem
That's a good pic of Fleischman's. I went by there many many times. Across Grand river there was the entrance to North Rosedale Park I believe Bretton St. There were ( still probably ) many beautiful homes there. The BP used to be a Shell station run by Harold Leathers. The church was a Christian Science church & friends & I played a lot of touch football in it's parking lot.

(Message edited by Eric W on March 14, 2007)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5013
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EricW, so if you get hurt playing football in Christian Science parking lot, can you call a doctor? Sounds dangerous to jjaba.

jjaba, Westsider.

Eric_w

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one! That was many years ago-worst were some skinned knees & elbows.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just love this site. I know I don't post much but I will try and change that. Getting the emails helps!
My Westside roots...
Born Harper Hospital 1962
Raised on Ohio St Between Curtis and Thatcher.
Bagley Elementary
Hampton Jr High 1 year
Region 5 middle school
St.Mary's of Redford
I remember..
The bowling alleys on wyoming WY 7 & and the other one that was on the same side of the street but on the other corner. It used to be so busy at those bowling alleys that they closed off Clarita for good, the alleys are gone but the street is still closed off..I think

Gregg's Pizza at 6 Mile and Livernois... i used to watch them throwing and spinning the pizza dough in the window.
We got our piano from Grinnell's on Livernois and Outer Drive
Revco
Merchandise Mart
Kressge
B Siegel
Hack shoes My brother had extra wide feet and we went there to get his shoes.
The Mercury Theatre.. I really remember the celestial glow in the dark motif on the walls in the theatre, and on the ceiling in the lobby.

Federal's Dept Store.. I saw my first black Santa Claus
Superior Beauty Supply..Where black folks went for hair care products.
Flying down Pickford Hill on my bike, without stopping at the sign at the corner. Death Wish!!
lots of car dealerships on Livernois..
Kennedy's restaurant
Winkelman's on 6 mile
Lou's deli
I remember taking the empty glass bottles of milk back to Wrigley... I think it was on 6 mile and San Juan?
AHHH... This thread has brought back great memories.

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree, I do remember the glass milk bottles too. They had little cardboard caps as I recall.
I was the kid in our house to run up to the corner store for milk. I would either carry it or strap it to the rack on my bike for the ride home. Sometimes the bottle didn't survive the trip and there would be big white puddle on the side walk !

Kimistree

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brougham, Do you remember Twin Pines that used to be on Puritan just off Livernois? I remember getting milk through the shoot from them. Eggs, and cheese too.

Brougham

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Twin Pines deliveries. We had the milk shoot until my parents decided it was more economical to buy from the corner store. Us kids would always ask the driver for chunk of ice when it was scorching hot outside, mostly he would say no but occasionally he gave in. I lived a little further out than you, roughly Grd river and Schoolcraft.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have a Twin Pines milk bottle and a Twin Pines ruler.

Does anyone remember that hippie clothing shop that had outlets at Wonderland and also West Dearborn? I cannot remember the name.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the early 70's, myself and TWO buddies used to jam into a Twin Pines truck to help the route guy around Greenfield-Southfield; 6 Mile-Fenkell. The gent was an old time eastern European emigre who had the route for years-that truck had room for four ppl, and plenty of goods, plenty of which one would not think TP would sell. Of course we wondered WTF when the driver would spend a little too much time with the widow Hanratty.

Quozl

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had Wilson's Dairy do the milk delivery at our house. I remember many a time as a little kid having to be shoved through the milk shoot to unlock the side door when I could not locate my house key (normally it was still hanging on the keyhook in the kitchen).

I remember that hippie clothing store Carolcb at Wonderland but not the name. When I think of hippie clothing and "accessories" I can never forget the Mouse House on Grand River and Terry St across the street from the Great Lakes Theater.

Did any of you west-siders ever have a guy walk up the sidewalk about twice a year with a knife sharpening and grinder wheel soliciting business? My mom always told us that he was a gypsy and to stay away from him. I rarely obeyed moms directive and followed the guy up and down the street.

(Message edited by quozl on March 15, 2007)

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and just a little piece of information - I still have the t-shirts my next door neighbor made while a student at U of M that say "Come Home America "- it was a Eagleton/McGovern t-shirt - he went on to make quite a name for himself, - a good name, but I still have the t-shirt. My youngest son was wearing it to school during 2004 elections!

Quozl

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went though a box of old stuff last night and found a bag of buttons that said:

THINK SUMMER

WKNR

Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl? I remember the Mouse House on GR which I THINK later relocated to 5 Mile and Inkster in Livonia. I also remember the knife sharpener and the guy selling strawberries from a cart up and down streets "4 quarts for a dollar"... me thinks thats the price.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5017
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northlawn-Intervale area had a knife sharpener. We had Detroit Creamery milk horse and wagons. Later, Divco trucks. Good Humor man in noisy truck with kids running out for ice creams.

Intervale had a blk. of stores. Dieters for candy, Belians for groceries and fresh cut meats. Be sure to bring in your War Ration Stamps.
Also, a cleaners.

How abour steps baseball, and kick the can? Be home when streetlight went on in summertime.

Quozl

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We played "Kick the Can" all summer long back in the 60's. We had the Good Humor truck too, Mom always wanted a "Toasted Almond". If we were not back on the front steps when the street lights came on we were in deep trouble.

We had a "Stan's Market" on Schoolcraft and Rutland. Dad would send me up there all the time as a kid to buy him a pack of Pall Mall's with a note. Got in deep trouble back in 1969 when my budz and me went into Stan's and ripped off a pack a White Owl cigars and a 6 pack of Bud and went to the Green Belt at Longacre and Glendale to enjoy them. I got sicker than a dog. I went home all blasted and Mom asked me why I looked "green between the eyes?" I had no time to answer as I hurled all over the brand new carpet they had just had installed. When Mom saw it was beer I was dead meat, smelling of cigar did not help either.

Ah, the memories of living on the westside - PRICELESS!

Jjaba

Post Number: 5020
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, that WAS priceless. You make jjaba laugh.

You steal from a Chaldean today in your neighborhood and you've got to deal with the gun shot wound. Ofcurse, he's probably behind the great Detroit invention, plexiglass lazy susan.
That's after you ring the doorbell to even get in the shop.

Brougham

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, I remember that "Think Summer" campaign at WKNR. Maybe it was a particularly bad winter ? I just remember the buttons and hearing it on the radio all the time. I was in elementary school at Burns at the time. 1963-1966 I suppose ?

Brougham

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keener 13 button image:
http://www.keener13.com/images /think_summer.gif

Quozl

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Brougham, how you been doing? Long time no see.

I think it was the winter of 1966 that they had the "Think Summer" promotion. Yep, the buttons look exactly like that. Found loads of old cool stuff in that box, HHH stickers, Tigers stuff, etc. I still have five more boxes of assorted stuff labeled "Detroit Junk".

Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl?
You must also remember Harper's Party Store on Schoolcraft west of Southfield. They delivered BEER!!! In my youth a "friend of mine" would place an order on the phone, give a bogus address, wait in the area with flashlights for a cruising car, some mugs would flag the guy down-usually a young adult-flash LOTSA cash and score a case or two of Strohs. Ah yes!!

Quozl

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck yea I remember Harper's Party Store. I use to go over to that side of Schoolcraft all the time with my sister to the Dairy Queen and Ashton Drugs. I never tried that trick though. After I got busted for drinking beer in '69 I laid low on the alcohol consumption until I got my job at Vendramino Wine Company in 1972.

When I went to Benedictine HS in 1970 the kids from St. Scholastica turned me on to herb. My Mom was a professor at U of M Dearborn by that time and she had a pretty laissez-faire attitude toward stuff like that. She probably should not have as I got into loads of trouble (nothing major) until I graduated from HS.

Kimistree

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories,
I remember the westside drive-in. I saw Planet of the Apes, Live and let die, and really horrible B horror movies that I can't remember the name of. I don't remember a Kiddieland, just the area in front of the screen where there were swings.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Brougham, I was at Burns from maybe '58 - '65 or so. Was in the gym when we heard Kennedy was shot. I can still 'see' us going up the steps out of the gym to head home early...

Brougham

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ptero, That's amazing, I have same memory of being in gym and a classmate said to me " did you hear President Kennedy was shot by an elephant gun? " If my math is correct I would have been in 4th grade. Do you remember any of the teachers ?
I remember the shop teacher who also was head of safety patrol, Mr Hagen. He was kinda grumpy from what I recall !

Quozl

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brougham/Ptero:

My Dad had cousins that attended Burns in the late 50's and 60's. Their last names were Wooten, Fury and Mullen. Ring any bells?

Was Cadillac School on Schoolcraft a Middle School or an Elementary, I do not remember?

Ptero

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES, Mr Hagen - he WAS a grump, and I was on safety patrol, too. "STOP the fooling around in the tool room!" My corner was Strathmoor and Lyndon - northwest corner. I remember seeing a cat get hit by a car and picking it up with my drumsticks to put it in the alley.

Umm, Mr. Mangus I think was the band instrument guy, I think he was at Cadillac, too. We used to practice in a corner off the edge of the funky stage. Fuzzy memory there. But the clarinet didn't work out so I switched over to drums. Ended up playing melody percussion at Cass, vibes, xylophone, tympani and such.

Guess I woulda been 10 (born '53) on that fateful day in November. Maybe we were a year apart? maybe not! That's kinda wild, eh?

Brougham

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Fury was in my classes. She had dark hair from what I remember. I think she may have been in my class at Cadillac as well, I'll have to look at my grad picture. Cadillac went through changes back then. It was both an early elementary (K-2) and middle school (7-9).

Ptero

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I DO remember Mary Fury! and Bob Hawkins, played trumpet. Still does. I run into him doing pro gigs.

I don't know about other High Schools, but Cass anyway went back and forth from 10-12 to 9-12. After Burns I was at Cadillac through 9th grade, then just the three years in HS. I think the variances had to do with baby boom class sizes surging through the system.

Quozl

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Brougham, I thought Cadillac was a Middle School but was not certain.

Yep, Mary Fury was my Dad's cousin alright. Mary's mom and my Dad's mom were sisters, both from Scotland.

Michmeister

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crary Elementary, playing tag football during recess with a milk carton (the little ones from the cafeteria) filled with playground gravel. The pass, the catch, the run, the slip, the fall, the slide face first into the fence where it was reinforced at the bottom with heavy boards, the stitches! I shoulda gone pro, but I`ll just have to live with that decision :-). What was the name of the party store that was run by the old guy where you had to ring a buzzer to get in? On Puritan, maybe the corner at Mansfield?

Brougham

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ptero, When did you graduate from Cadillac ?
I was a January graduate (1970). As you may recall during the baby boom some of us started school in January. I do remember a Hawkins as well. I lived on Strathmoor too but south of you, between schoolcraft and tyler.

Quozl,
Did Mary have any siblings ? Mullen sounds familiar too. Some of my classmates: Drahiem, Teeters, Allen, Canasi, Arslanian...off the top of my head...

Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister
Clems was on St Marys and Puritan. Deans Drugs (Pharmacy) on Puritan and Mansfield and Toby's Party Store on Puritan just EAST of Mansfield, west of Rutherford

Quozl

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brougham,

I think she had a brother, though I will have to ask my dad to confirm. Mary and I were pretty close in age and I only remember her. Two Mullen kids, John and Sandra I remember coming over to the house all the time.

When I went to Cooley HS there was an Arslanian there that I hung out with. I forget the first name.

Michmeister

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, Toby`s! What a grouch! Practically had to beg to spend your milk money there! Thanx a lot Winston, for jarring my memory straight. A great walk to school anyway. Do the Pine Cleaners, Domeyers Bakery exist anymore? Is the Victory Lutheran Church still thriving? Went to Boy Scout meetings there (T-365) and played floor hockey in the basement all winter long (our buddy`s dad was pastor). Ah, yes, the golden years before life got so serious.

Eric_w

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Twin Pines Dairy on Lyndon around Greenlawn. Sometimes we would ride bikes up there and get a free 1/2 pint of chocolate milk from the workers. Across the street was a small lunch place: Lyndon Lunch. my dad used to take us for walks along the railroad tracks behind the shops & factories along Lyndon to look for polywogs. That was loooonnnng time ago!

56packman

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember all of the trucks that used to come through our neighborhood in the early 60's--the Hudson's green panel vans, Twin Pines milk (and other grocery staples as others have posted) delivered into our milk chute, which I was passed through on a couple occasions when the folks got locked out of the house, Diaper service trucks (what a gig!) and in the summer, produce trucks, flat bed trucks with back-toback terraced rows of vegetables and fruits in the back, with canvas sides that were rolled up, and the good humor White Ford open trucks with the bells mounted above the windshield. That sound would stop us in our tracks.
There was a dog in the neighborhood that had it out for the Twin Pines Divco truck's tires. Not the milkman, not the truck, the tires. He didn't bother with any other truck or its tires, just the Twin Pines. The milkman would do the Divco rolling-stop and that dog would come running and start chewing on the tires. One day noticed the dog wasn't around, wasn't gnawing on the tires. I asked my dad if he knew anything, he told me his head got run over by the milk truck.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been a lot of comments from the Lyndon-Schaefer area. So how about this:

Remember the big Michigan Consolidated Gas Company gas storage tank there? "Gas Is Best!" it proclaimed in white neon. Then at the base, was a softball field with the DTRR tracks alongside, and a long pool on the south side that was for practicing casting with a fishing rod...with the floating circles on the water? We'd sit atop the boxcars to watch the softball games, only occasionally having to bail out because a locomotive just hitched up.

I always wanted to see the view from atop that gas tank, and never did.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrendale born, bread and buttered. Ayuk. 7000 block in the house!

Ptero

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brougham, I left Cadillac (outta 9th grade) June '68. And out of H.S. in June '71. I'm pretty sure Bob Hawkins lived on Robson just south of Grand River (or maybe one street east).

I actually lived over on Ardmore, corner house at Eaton. But Strathmoor was where I broadjumped a wet concrete sidewalk and missed. Splat. Whoops. That's what I got for walking with older kids. "But THEY did it" and were big enuf to make it across.

Hey how 'bout the Train Shop on Hubble between Grand River and Schoolcraft?

The Great Lakes Theatre was our home movie house. Later in college I was lucky to work there when the Nederlanders were running it with live theatre.

YES! to all the Twin Pines comments and milk chutes and the knife sharpener cart...

Sawyer Playground was our home diamond, on Lyndon between Ardmore and Schaefer. There was a house next to it with a garage that had a good sized pit for working under cars - somehow fascinating and strange.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhhh Warrendale, Hoover Thearte... Warren and Artesian,

Warrendale Community Center Warren and Warwick...

TopHats, Warren and Evergreen...

Trolley Bus turnaround Warren Ave and Burt Road, Rouge Park...

Stromboli's Warren and Piedmont

Warren Thearte, Warren and ????

Chuckles

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhhh Warrendale...

Tireman and Warwick a long time ago....

A CE1K about 9 oclock one evening walking home from my buddys house...

almost a CE3K but I was able to outrun the Aliens and they never did catch me and I will never forget the experience to this day.

Ahhhh Warrendale....I lived at Artesian and Van Buren...Bousha lived a block over on Stahlin near Joy...she was a sort of Polish bag lady and very mysterious.

I used to walk to Dixon Elementary...Mary's Party store across the street from the school on Tireman and Auburn...

Used to be a Philipino Yoyo guy would hang out there and carve your yoyo for you if you wanted, Duncan or dont remember the other popular name...Cherrio I think...???

Wife grew up at Westwood and Paul, the inlaws lived there up to 1998...

Ahhhhh Warrendale.....I knew it well...

Jjaba

Post Number: 5023
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Schaefer Mich. Con. gas tanks are beautifully visible on airline landing approaches into Detroit. Look out the right windows for a great view of the Westside. There are many landmarks on approach.

jjaba, Westsider.

Brougham

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ptero,
Sounds like we travelled a very similar path back in the day. You were 1/2 year ahead me at the same schools, paving the way.

The name Draheim ring a bell?, he was my best friend, lived on Mark Twain and was in your grade at Cadillac. He went on to Cooley as I did.

I do remember the train shop on hubbell. It was on the same block as the auto-radio repair shop and Cadions market. Around the corner on grd River was Hubbs barber shop.

You were not too far from Butzel park where we used to go for swimming lessons. Remember Rinas Pizza on Schafer ? All great stuff !

56packman

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim Huff operated the train shop on Hubbell. A grand guy. I knew him when he worked at Madison Hardware on Fort and 12th.

Fol45
Username: Fol45

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never posted but had to after reading Brougham and Ptero. Lived on Freeland N/O Grand River, went to all the same places as you did. Had a Detroit News paper route the station was in the alley, Grand River and Hubbel. Burns school for Kindergarten then to SMR for 12 yrs. I never thought anyone would remember Sawyer playground. Played baseball for O'Shea Allstars in the mid 60's. At one time I remember over 70 kids on Freeland between Grand River and Intervale. I remeber a bowling alley above a cleaners on the south side of Grandriver at Mark Twain. Charley's Bar Grand River and Freeland next to the Beer Store(never knew the name) always went into it thru the alley door. The pop was in a reach in cold water container. You guys remember alot more detail than I do, but I did love growing up in that area. Thanks for the memories

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up near Warren & Livernois. Taystee Bread and Good Humor on Martin! On Warren Ave. we had Neisner's, the drug stores and Grey Hardware with the big Mac-O-Lac paint sign. UPS was on the corner of of Warren & Gilbert. Had the "Gypsy" market on Warren & Livernois. On Saturday monrings we would walk to the Kramer Theater on Michigan Avenue for the matinee. Would catch the Livernois bus - grab a transfer for Michigan Ave and go downtown...Hudon's, Sanders, Kresge...all the good stuff. Piled into the station wagon every summer for the trip to Belle Isle - and of course - all the kids were thrown in the back of the station wagon (no seat belt laws)...and I think I have a picture of us in front of the fountain at Belle Isle for almost every year of my early life. Taken with a Brownie camera where we all had to "hold still"
Remember ponies at Rouge Park??? And the little carnival on the corner of Warren and Outer Drive??? I remember walking to the Red Barn on Michigan Avenue and Trenton, Arlan's Imperial City on Warren & Lonyo. If it was a really nice day - we walked to East Dearborn - Monkey Wards, Federals - remember Jeans Galore?????
I remember going to the playground near Chadsey High School - they had activity directors there - you could borrow a ball to play four square, buy the lanyard to make a key chain...wow. And yeah, we thought we were hot stuff walking around with our transistor radios listening to Robin Seymour on WKRN....Keener 13. Everything you needed was a walk away - and we walked everywhere. It amazes me at how many people took the bus to Hudson's...they didn't need all the parking spots they have now - everybody took the bus to work and shopping. I still think that the Conley Branch library near Michigan and Martin is one beautiful building! Memories...wow!!!

Eric_w

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just remembered- Edgewater Park in West 7 Mile. It was quite a place-I don't think anyone has mentioned it.

Brougham

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl,
Sounds like you had the teenage right of passage with the beer and smokes, that a lot of us had. Somehow we survived! For me it was 7 & 7's that made me toss my cookies. As I recall there were far worse things happening. I never understood the glue sniffing kids, that was nasty and an obviously dangerous habit.

I remembered Mary Furys brothers name, Bill, he was good friends with a buddy of mine and Im sure I met him. The Arslanian that I knew was Kathy. As I recall she worked at an undercoatings shop over on Greenfield.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5035
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fol45, post 1. Welcome to Forum. Lots of good Westsiders holding up our end of the deal here.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor. (Northlawn-Schoolcraft.)
(Noble, Tappan, Cass Tech.)

Chuckles

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, I used to go to Edgewater all the time, I always have flashbacks of the old guy with all the tatoos and one tooth, always smiling and running the Ferris Wheel...what a ball.

Edgewater has been mentioned a couple of times on various forums.

Brougham, Rites of Passage....I graduated Cody High 1960, still had to wear a belt to school, girls wore long skirts, Bras....

Drugs and Sex were pretty low key if at all...

by 1965...no belts, no bras, short short skirts
plenty of Pot and Sex at least discussed...

Nowadays...Oral sex in the bathrooms, sexual intercourse in the classrooms by 6th graders, teachers doing their students...

We've come a long way since our Rites of Passage...

just lookin back....

Jjaba

Post Number: 5038
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckles, jjaba graduated Cass Tech. in 1959.
Do you have first hand knowledge about life at Cody High School or just impressions from the Tabloids.

jjaba, Westsider who worked at Rouge Pools.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3107
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, you are right I haven't posted on this thread. This thread caught me in the midst of relocating. I had been living in corporate housing for a couple of months and then out of a suitcase since and I haven't had a chance to plow through this one from the start to give it the attention it deserved. (In fact I'm writing this surrounded by boxes while movers pack up my stuff.)

A lot of good stuff on this thread, much about my favorite part of home ... westside Detroit within ~1-1.5 mile radius of GR/fenkell ...

Chuckles

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, I want to add the Hut but I won't...

First hand knowledge, graduate of Jan 1960 class, counselor Mrs Laughner,shared office...Mr Shoemaker Principal, Coach Cassuchi, coach Cosgro, Mr Bovill(hairy ears)English, My fav was Mr Gallo, Business Law...

Cody Comet, Green and Gray...

School bully Danny Desroll

spent many, many days of enjoyment at Brennan Pools, Rouge Park...High deck at far pool...also Crystal pools in Dearborn (had to lie to get in there)...Trips to Burroughs Farms when Old Grand River was the main road West...Kengingston Valley before it was flooded to become Kensington Lake.

Awesome days, awesome times....then US Air Force....

another story, another day...

regards

Chuckles

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, Cody High 1950s, early 60's was Frats, Jocks, Greasers and then all the normal kids.

Cass Tech was known as a Braniac school, had to run a slide rule to get in...

regards

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckles and Jaba, both of my parents, most of my aunts and uncles went to Cody in the '50's. I'm sure you know some of them.

Chuckles

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More than likely...

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckles...
Know any of these Cody alumni from your time: Jon Nichols (his dad was John Nichols, police chief, sheriff and mayoral candidate), Leonard and David Field, the Kittlesons, Marvin Green, John(Crash)Krieman

Chuckles

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I know or knew Jon Nichols, Terry Kittleson but have not seen either for many, many years.
I remember a Beverly Field but not Leonard or David...just going thru my 1960 Cody Comet Yearbook, many, many names and faces from long ago.

What are your connections to Cody 1960...?

Thanks for the inquiry.

regards

Chuckles

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cody hangout(during school hours 50's & 60's) was Chicken Diner next to Gell's Army Surplus on Joy Rd just West of Southfield.

Does anyone remember that one...?

The really Hot spot after school hours and on Weekends was The Club Gayhaven on Warren Ave...
Jamie coe and the Gigalos....

In those days after High School you generally had 3 choices, on to College, work for Ford, GM or Chrysler or join the Military...

I chose the Military.

Regards

Repeater

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cody graduate, Jan. 1966 I used to go to The Cody Pharmacy for cherry Cokes. Had a job on Weaver, Reliant Die and Eng. Co

Eric_w

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With summer coming-what do any of my fellow current or former Westsiders miss most from their years living and/or growing up there?
One of mine is playing tennis at Stoepel Park # 1 in the 70's. They had a tennis club and had events & tournaments throughout the summer even a USTA sanctioned doubles money tournament.Lot's of good times hanging out there.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great memories!

Graduated Vetal Elementary 1975, Redford High School 1979.

Favorite memories:
1) Stoepel Park - riding through the woods on bikes was scary
2) Pizza Hut on Grand River and Burt Road
3) Mr. Tony's Subs on Grand River
4) McDonald's at Southfield and Grand River near the Grandland Shopping Center
5) Harper's Party Store on Schoolcraft between Greenview and Faust
6) Dairy Queen on Schoolcraft at Faust
7) Ringler Drugs on Schoolcraft at Greenview
8) Little Caesars on Warwick and Grand River
9) Chaney Library on Grand River a few blocks west of Greenfield
10) Junior Achievement on Grand River near Outer Drive (anyone remember?)
11) Baskin Robbins and Dunkin Donuts on Grand River

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up at Plymouth & Greenfield. Went to George Ford Elem, A2 Middle School and Cody until we moved in 1981. I remember the book-mobile, fruit trucks, milk man, knife sharpener and pool on a truck. Remember when they'd open the fire hydrants?

Vetalalumni

Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former west sider here.

Does anyone remember the Rustler's Steak House on the north side of Grand River at Archdale and east of the Southfield Expressway and west of the old Norwest Theatre? My first job was there as a busboy around 1975 or so. It was often crowded and the food was good (and free to employees). Unfortunately all the tips went to the waitresses.

How about this, does anyone remember a little store on the south side of Grand River near Longacre called Hansel and Gretel? I think it sold shoes. It was across the street from the old Norwest Theatre.

Michmeister:
Speaking of the old Norwest Theatre, I too saw Billy Jack and a lot of other films there. The theatre was huge and always packed for the big movies. The line of patrons waiting for tickets would snake up Grand River toward Archdale. The dirty parking lot was in the back sort of near the Vic Tanny on Fenkell.

Speaking of Vic Tanny, what was the building across Archdale on the southeast corner of Fenkell and Archdale? Was it a Church?

Winstin_o_boogie_iii:
Regarding Joes' Party Store on Fenkell, was it the party store directly across from the Vic Tanny. I used to pick up lotto tickets from that place - it was on the north side of Fenkell at Archdale. The delicious (and greasy) Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips was in the next block to the west.

Mikem:
Regarding your picture of Fleischman Carpets in your February 28, 2007 post, is that Bushnell Congregational Church in the background to the right?

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Hansel & Gretel's now that you mention it. Was it on the north side of GR?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sbradke:
As I had previously mentioned, Hansel & Gretel's was on the south side of Grand River. I think there was a little pizza place within a few doors of it.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: