Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Detroit Cooks! Local Cookbooks, Recipes and Favorite Foods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's talk about food! Specifically local and regional cookbooks you know and love.

If you want, you can also mention the foods that you feed out-of-towners to give them the total D-experience and that give the exiled Detroiters among us comfort food and memories of home.

My mom pulled out some old cookbooks that fascinated me. I posted the cover of one on the Detroit Times thread. Here's another:

Detroit Chrysler Cookbook 1955

Grandpa worked at the Chrysler Jefferson plant and bought this one at work. It dates from 1955 and has some great desserts and quick breads, plus 28 different cheesecakes. Who knew Detroit was so nuts about cheesecake?

Feel free to include your favorite cookbooks, and upload a scan of the cover, if you can.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 610
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I love my cheesecake. I must have some everytime we got out to eat.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

loc.jpg

This is the "Charm Kitchen Cook Book" by Edythe Fern Melrose, better known to old time Detroiters as WXYZ's Lady of Charm.

In the 1930s, Melrose managed Detroit radio station WJLB. She then moved to WXYZ radio, when she created her "Lady of Charm" persona, dispensing recipes, fashion tips and household hints. Melrose's philosophy was "A woman's charm depends upon three things- how she acts, how she looks and how she cooks." On WXYZ-TV her show aired from her home, the "House O' Charm," which was built and beautifully furnished courtesy of her sponsors. In 1952 she earned $100,000.

Most of the recipes in the book are so unhealthy that it hardens your arteries just by reading them. One recipe calls for a veal heart, which you stuff with buttered bread crumbs before you sear it in hot fat. Yum!

In the mid 60s Melrose tripped on a cable at WXYZ, injuring her leg. She sued the station and in 1976 received a judgement of nearly one million dollars. She died three weeks later.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed...is it true the "Lady of Charm" didn't have the most charming personality?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 597
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories,
Yes, it's true. At WXYZ you had to refer to her as "Lady of Charm." She wouldn't answer to Edythe or Mrs. Melrose.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, that's an awesome story! When does that cookbook date from?

Also, why do they call it a BOSTON Cooler? One of my smarmy Massachusetts acquaintances thinks it's a Beantown reference. No way, right?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 598
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame,
I've go two copies of the cookbook, dated 1948. Both are autographed, one to the director of her show, and both are signed "Lady of Charm."

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the "Detroit is Ripe for Stores" thread https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/98431.html?1176000202, mention was made of the May Company's takeover of the local Indianapolis department store: "The cruelest blow came in 1989 when May Company decided to close the famed, venerated Tea Room."

This reminded me of our own J.L. (pronounced "jail" by kids) Hudson's and their Maurice Salads.

Here's the link to the recipe for Hudson's Maurice Salad via Bob Allison of "Ask Your Neighbor" fame.

Though it doesn't say in the recipe, remember to julienne the cheese, meat, pickles and lettuce for authenticity.

http://www.askyourneighbor.com /recipes/054.htm

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 740
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a cookbook I got from my mom. Autographed on the inside by Lucy Corbet with a nice note to the books purchaser - somebody named Sophia. 1951 Wayne University Press. Great Illustrations throughout the book done by a William Thomas Woodward.

"Our thanks are due to Mariquita Dygert, of the Detroit Edison Company Home Service, for her kindness in reading and criticising the book, to the Detroit Historical Society for the suggestion that we write it, and to Alexander Brede, editor of Wayne University Press, for his generous help"

pic

Some great history in the book about the settling of Detroit and what they were eating and the origins of it in France. Not just a collection of French inspired recipes, but lots of really great info. Here is a good example:

Canard Sauvage A La Presse-

"For two days, hang two pair of large ducks (mallard, red head, canvas back). Then pluck, clean, rub thoroughly inside and out with coarse kosher salt. Poke a stalk of celery into their interiors, place them in a well-greased shallow baking pan and pop into a pre-heated, red hot (500 degrees) oven and roast for seventeen minutes, that's all!".....

...... "The 'habitan' of old Detroit may not have had a duck press, but he had a way with roast duck that comes close to the extravagant 'a la presse' recipe. A way that he handed down to his descendents who ran the little waterfront hotels all the way from the Lake St. Claire Flats to the Marshes of Lake Erie. Nor is it wasteful of game - the whole duck is eaten.

(Message edited by matt the Deuce on April 09, 2007)

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Matt! That's the coolest...thanks for sharing!

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Allison WNZK 690 A.M. at 9-11 a.m. and on the internet has an "Ask Your Neighbor" show on household hints, Detroit area recipes, etc. that's been running in the Detroit area since l962. He started on WWJ.
One of the few things left from the olden days of Detroit radio. Twin Pines Dairy was one of his advertisers.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be back in Detroit for the first time in 10 years Memorial day weekend. Here are some of the things I miss!!!

1. Tubby's subs (cant wait to get a mushroom steak and cheese)!

2. Mexican village

3. El Charro (for their tacos)!

4. China Villa (10 and VanDyke)! would say great china on harper and hayes but Im sure that place is LONG GONE!

The mexican and chinese foods here in TN are GENERIC! you order sweet and sour chicken, you get deep fried meat with some red sauce. THATS IT! No peppers, onions, pineapples NOTHING!

Mexican is unflavored hamburger rolled in tortilla and covered with BLAND red sauce with a little (and I do mean little) cheese.

Looking REAL forward to some good food when i get home!

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner: So sorry for the lack of Chinese and Mexican in TN. As I live in TX, our Mexican food is fantastic, natch! We only recently got good Chinese food here, due to the many Chinese that have settled here over the last 10 yrs. But the long drought was unbearable! Enjoy your trip to Detroit...and wear the stretchy jeans.

Just wanted you guys to know that I saw the old food thread started by the late "ItsJeff". On it, they print a recipe for Sander's Hot Fudge Topping.

It's wrong.

My grandmother worked for Sanders in the bakery and when I saw this recipe printed in the Detroit News some time ago, I knew this was the right one.

Nanna told me the secret was ice cream in the topping, so when I read this, I knew it was right. If the exiles among us don't get Sanders HF, this is the recipe. However, you might try Kroger. It's available in Texas there, and you might find it in your state, too.

Sanders Hot Fudge Topping
l/3 cup milk
l pound caramels
l/2 pound Sanders milk chocolate
l/2 pint Sanders vanilla ice cream or l cup soft ice cream
l teaspoon vanilla extract
Place milk and caramels in double boiler, heat and stir until hot, smooth cream is obtained. Chop the chocolate and add it to the above hot cream. Stir until melted. Mix in soft ice cream and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
Variation: Instead of using milk, substitute l/3 cup very strong coffee.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4142
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of items... one is Almond Boneless Chicken seems to be a Michigan delicacy, rarely found in Chinese restaurants outside of Michigan.

Another item is that Bob Allison is actually Robert Allessee, who's currrent wife Maggie Allessee was a widow with an enormous sum of money left by her late previous husband. Today the Allessee's are among the most generous philanthropists found anywhere in metro Detroit.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gistok, Almond boneless chicken will definitely be on my plate at china villa! It definitely is not found here in TN. Man Im hungry now! LOL

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner - Re: Tubby's - over the years, I still remember the first time I ate at Tubby's - what an experience. I had never eaten anything like that before!

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: