Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Downriver Forum » Downriver Forum - 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth, you are correct sir!!! I believe Ralph Pagnuco was a year ahead of me at MHS in the class of '74. The Skylight Lounge, man, I forgot all about that place. It had the best rock and roll bands in Detroit at one time or another. Also, used to go to the lounge that was next to Epps in LP, I can't remember the name, but we used to go there and see how many times we could get turned down by the girls. Did you know the McKeel family in AP?

Jqls
Username: Jqls

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papinas did burn down. When mama papina wanted to rebuild the city of lincoln park slapped her with a bunch bullshit excuses that the city needs to be updated yadayadayada. So she was going to move elsewhere and finally just decided to close here doors for good. My friends late grandmother used to sew all the curtains and table cloths for her.

Downtown allen park could be nice but the problem lies that the city does not want any more bars. They want a bunch of sorry saps to open candy stores that everyone know will fail. Another problem with downtown AP is it is a "drive through" city not a "drive to" city like wyandotte or royal oak.

Although one of the best kept secrets in downriver is in downtown AP and that is Moro's. The food is great, and if you have the chance to go make sure to order a warm desert. They prepare the entire thing right in front of you.

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jqls, that's too bad about Peppinas. I still think they had the best pizza downriver. Downtown AP definitely seems like it has a bunch of transitional businesses. Nothing like when the China Boy restaurant was there. By the way, is the Red Fawn still operational as a grocery store?

Jqls

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow china boy that is old school. The red fawn is a banquet facility, the grocery store it used to be years ago was Alberts. If you drive downtown AP look up at the tower and you can still see the stain on the brick and it reads Alberts.

Nothing like Peppinas pizza, I used to love going there too for the kidney beans they would bring to the table. Delicious

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Jqls, Pepppinas was the stuff!! You're right about Moro's, too. Best kept secret on the westside!!! I delivered pizza with Mike Rielly at Zukins, and his mom either a.)owned Peppinnas or b.) ran their kitchen, I'm not sure which. We used to get her to make us pasta while we were delivering on Saturday nights. What a great memory!!!
Fred-I cannot, for the life of me, remember the name of that bar! I do, however, remember the Side Street in LP!! How about Nunzio's on Southfield? The Oyster on Dix? Of course, you've already mentioned the Atlantis! My first experience with topless bars(at the ripe age of 16, delivering for Zukins had some awesome benefits!!).Didn't know the McKeels. Where did they live? I liked China Boy until I noticed that there were less cats in the 'hood.......The major problem with AP is that it is old!!!!! Old ideas, stagnant politics and too many people who think they are high end types rather than what they has always been-just a hard working group of people who like a nice city. The downtown area is a prime example of this, and they are always stepping over dollars to pick-up nickels!! They still have hope, though...

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peppina's started back in the '50s as a drive-in restaurant with car-hops. "Peppina" was the owner's mother and used to come in and make pasta and certain other specialties until she got hit by a car while crossing Dix in the late '60s. From then on she stayed at home in Allen Park although she had a direct phone line into the kitchen and would scream in Italian at whomever answered it.

If Mike's mom is named Patsy, then yes, she pretty much ran the show. She started working for Mary, the owner, back in the '50s and was very good at her job. Mary treated most of her employees like family and was rewarded with loyalty and hard work.

Mary's brother was the source of all the amethyst displayed around the restaurant. He also used to sell jewelry out of the front counter. He would bring his associates and they would sit at the round table by the register, drinking wine out of coffee cups as Mary had no liquor license at that time.

It's too bad that Lincoln Park did not appreciate such a hard-working family business. I always thought the place was nice. Good pizza and sandwiches, decent Italian dishes, and all the food was fresh, never frozen.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, AP is definitely old. About 21% of their population is aged 65 or older compared to the Michigan city average of 12%. Only 22% of their population is under 18 years old compared to the Michigan city average of 26%.

Tie the age together with the fact that it's also one of the whitest cities around - 95.6% of residents having at least one caucasian parent - and you have a city that could be the poster-boy for white-flight of the 1950s and 1960s. (Oh this thread went so long before having race brought up, sorry).

I know what you mean with high school reunions. It seems like people just don't leave. I had teachers that my parents did and went to school with children whose parents had class with my parents. It's a decent city to raise a family in but it's not the end-all be-all of it, in my opinion.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sec. of State is gone, but Ted's is still doing good business. Every time that I'm in there, it's packed. I haven't tried Tina's across the street.

That new pool hall next to Red Fawn is supposed to have a bar, right?

Jqls

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah teds has a great breakfast, well cooked and just the right amount. Tina's across the street has been a few other things like that stupid coffee/biscotte joint called Serendipity. But anyway I have heard from others that Tina's is pretty good also. You know who owns don't you. It is the former longtime waitress of Ted Tina.

As for the pool hall I will do some asking around to see if they obtained a liquor license because if not it might not do that well or will just attract a bunch of young punks. When I find out I will let the forum know.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5559
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes Downtown Lincoln Park look like Downtown Detroit but 10 times worst?

1. BIG BOX STORES OVER TO DIX AND SOUTHFIELD FWY. DID IT ALONG WITH OTHER BIG BOX STORES AND SOUTHLAND MALL ON EUREKA RD.

2. DEMOLITION OF RETAIL STRIPS ON THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF SOUTHFIELD AND FORT ST. MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR WALGREENS AND ALDI SUPERMARKET

3. LINCOLN PARK CITY COUNCIL AND THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE NOT STEPPING IN TO DEVELOP PLANS FOR REVITALIZATION OF THE DOWNTOWN DISTRICT. IF WAS MAYOR I SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT A LONG TIME AGO.

... but it's too late. Downtown Lincoln Park is now just a memory. Can anyone save Downtown Lincoln Park?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garg- Thanks for the history lesson! I didn't know any of that info. about Peppinnas, but being into science and geology at the time, I remember the amethysts and the massive geodes that he had displayed. They were indeed impressive!!! Both you and Jqls are right-on about the city not appreciating a good thing.....
Glad to hear they are opening a pool hall there-there used to be one next to the party store on Southfield across from the ACO. That's exactly what that town needs is another bar!!! Sheesh, get a little more creative, huh?
Sticks-
Nice stats. I was afraid that someone would "touch" on the race thing but it is a fact. In the 30+ years I've been in and around AP, I only remember 1 black family!! Melvindale, on the other hand......
Danny-
Your assessment of LP is spot-on! Old city, old thinking, old politics.....
Used to eat at Ted's after hockey (and drink at Scalici's as I coached his kid!!!)

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Allen Park Elks lodge still there?

My Dad and "Uncles" (all my Mom and Dad's friends were called Aunt and Uncle) started it. I remember them putting in the rest rooms, kitchen and Bar and buzzing in members because they didn't have a liquor license.
Us kids spent Saturdays at the movies across the street, while the members met.
Most of my child hood focused around that lodge and our BPOE family.

Seanharper
Username: Seanharper

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey folks, AP resident here...son in Cabrini, 3 kids in preschool at AP Presbyterian. I actually agree with Danny's assessment of downtown AP. The Mickey Redmond's restaurant going in downtown (slowest development EVER) will draw people downtown from outside of the city, and the draw to make downtown a place to walk around during the nicer parts of the year is so far proceeding well. I only wish that the few holdouts would update their look to match the classic look the Downtown Development Council is looking for.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean-
Where is Mickey's restaurant going? The holdouts have been the same for years...

Seanharper
Username: Seanharper

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres-
On the same block as Marshall Music, on Allen. They just refaced another store down there, which is now a liquor store, but it looks very classy.

Sticks

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The liquor store is the same one I mentioned earlier. Definitely worth a trip if you can't make it out to Merchants in time.

I sure hope the pool hall has a bar. I wasn't aware that you could have pool tables without liquor being somewhere involved. =)

The AP Elks Lodge? Is that on Park Ave, behind the parking lot to the dollar show?

Plymouth, yeah, it's all fact. Straight from the horse's mouth.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon and Christian Sinnott both went to AP and are now top ten wrestlers in the NCAA. On football, we had the Celano's. When I graduated in 2004, I think there were 12 black kids in the entire school (out of 1200 or so).

Danny

Post Number: 5568
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Mary Magalen's Catholic School on Outer Drive near Allen Rd. is now a EVIL Charter school. But Inner City Baptist School is booming with student. Why is this happening?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tay-
I graduated from Melvindale in '78 and grew up all my life in AP. As far as I can remember, we had one guy(named Tony) who played football but that was it. I believe AP had one guy named Pringle, but I could be wrong. I am glad to see some improvement!
When did St. Mary's become a charter school? I always thought they were a private Catholic school.......
Inter-City Baptist has always had a "full" school program, at least when I lived there....

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine taught at St. Mary's for some years. She was an MHS '74 grad. I knew that integration was coming, just not aware of how extensive it was. Good information to know. I remember something about the census in '70 had listed some African Americans living in AP, but I believe they were at the VA Hospital. (Remember how AP police would sit on their lawn by a tree on Outer Drive to catch speeders from Allen Rd)? If you were a local, you knew they were always there.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred-
My friend's father was an AP cop, and I guarantee you he was the most racist dude that I ever met! He used to call that stretch of OD between Fort and the Southfield Fwy "the Ecorse Parkway". Later on I found out that the Melvindale cops had the same nickname from a Melvindale cop that I knew by the name of Don Wolan...I was also told some other interesting stories about the efforts of those two departments to keep OD clear of the "undesireables". Those cops in AP used to sit right on Snow Rd. until they found a body back there and closed the road thru to the Southfield Fwy. Then the cops had to sit in the open, and only those doing 40+ couldn't slow down fast enough not to get caught. My uncle owned the house right across the street in Princeton, so it seemed like there was always some scene going on there!! Ah the good old days!!
You're also correct about the AA pop in the '70's-all attributed to the VA hospital!!How very '70's AP!!
As for integration, I believe that the Mel-NAP school district became a district of choice school a few years back which made things there a tad bit worse, as those fleeing the adjacent DPS schools moved over there in droves, causing huge destabilization to a district that was already sinking. As I don't know much about the school districting thing, I won't comment any further....
They've torn down all the old elementary schools now except Rogers(Meade, Evans, Kaier and Palmer)and put up a Mcmansion style All elementary school right smack dab in the outfield of Oniel field. Totally wrecked the Little League program as it eliminated like 4 ballfields. Another brilliant move in the name of progress.....
Hope I didn't drone...

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not at all Plymouth. I graduated with Don Wolan. I attended Quandt elementary prior to Dasher and Strong. I know that's gone now and I think apts or condos are there now. I used to play baseball a lot at Brandt park, although AP Little League didnt use that field. It used to be a big thrill to play under the lights at Champaign.

Sticks

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that's why they closed Snow between Outer Dr and the Southfield service drive? Damn, never knew that. But yeah, even when I was slingin pizzas a few years back AP cops would sit in that little spot waiting to gun you down once you came up from the I-94 viaduct.

Tayshaun, I wonder if you might be the youngest consistent poster on here. If you were a theater or band geek, we might know some of the same people.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 349
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might know of the same people, but I'm not a theater or band geek. There are some posters younger than me, mcm2026 where are you?

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let us not forget the best Pizza Joint in town...

Roma's Pizza in Southgate! Owned by Vito of Vito's Pizza fame in Lincoln Park

Vito died doing what he loved, making Pizza.

RIP Vito

Roma's EXTRA SPECIAL IS TO FREAKIN' DIE FOR!
(minus them salty fish... I can't spell... and hot peppers..of course..)
we should have a get together there! :-)

-HL

(Message edited by hardliner on February 25, 2007)

Plymouthres

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hardliner-

Agree with Vito's...See above my post #1!! When did Vito pass?

Hardliner

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Plymouthres

A While ago... He got into an argument with one of his delivery drivers. and had a heart attack.

Lakedaimon
Username: Lakedaimon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First post here - born and raised in Downriver

Grew up along one of those very canals Lowell mentioned in Gibraltar. And its by far the most commonly misspelled city name Downriver (Flat Rock even has a few "Gibralter Rd" street signs interspersed with the "Gibraltar Rd" ones).

I worked downtown for the last three years until just recently when I transferred out to the airport (which oddly enough has a Detroit address - if you mail the stuff with the city as Romulus it might not get here), and thats what brought me to the forum. Well that, and Lowell's wonderful photography.

My family will always miss Peppina's. Sure there were stretches of time when we didnt go there much but I always looked forward to it. What kid could forget the "help yourself" bowl of mints afterwards and all the strange amethyst rock formations.

Hardliner

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a downriver/lincoln park forum.

http://lincolnparkforums.com/l psforum.php

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Thunderbowl complex. Man, what a place to kill an afternoon. Also, a good game of "strikeout" was a good way to spend the day. You never see the painted strike zones on the sides of buildings anymore. I think we singlehandedly brought the rubber baseball industry back from the brink of extinction with that game. We used to play on the side of the Quandt elementary school, facing Roger St. Also, anyone remember curb ball?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curb ball? Most definitely.. The batter threw the ball against the curb and the rebound was the hit. The outfielders would stand out in the street and try to catch it for out, etc. We'd get ran over playing that now. I remember that strikeout game too, the boxes spray painted on buildings. Remember the Yoyo craze back in the early 70's? Duncan must've gotten rich off of that. It went from nobody had one to everybody had one. How about Opyops or Superballs?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opyops? Even Google doesn't know that one.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.badfads.com/pages/c ollectibles/opyop.html

"It's the new Psychedelic sensation" :-)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes. Now I remember them. We need a nostalgic toy thread.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred-
"The Thunderbowl Complex"? Remember when the tornado blew thru the city in the summer of 1978 and ripped the roof of the Arena/poll hall area(Cushion & Cue).Today the thing is painted somekinda wierd purple-The name of the "club" is Utopia? We used to play pool/pinball upstairs all night!!! I think I played strikeout against you at Quandt School! Perhaps with Jim Snell?

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I 2nd Roma's. It is most excellent! Sportsman's in Wyandotte was always a popular place to go during lunch hour as well.

Anyone out there a product of O.L. Mt. Carmel schools?

Rkick
Username: Rkick

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about MARS pizzaria-BEST SUB SANDWICH EVER!!!!My buddy used to deliver for them those were the days!!!!And how about the Purity Pub and the characters that worked there? Joe/Earl Etc. I went to Schafer High can anybody tell me did we ever win a football game from 1972-1976 I sure can't recall even one win?!?! And as for Marvin's my uncle used to play the drums there in the early days when they had LIVE music!!AHABS as we used to call it ACRABS on Jefferson-did anybody else ever spend $20-$40 there on NICKLE beer night?

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to www.michigan-football.com, Schafer went 11-34 between '72-'76.

Rkick
Username: Rkick

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm impressed 10 minutes for an answer the 11 wins must have been in 72/73 when i was in junior high at Schafer either that or i must have had more fun in high school then i can remember thanks again Tayshaun22

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the Mediterranean Deli on Jefferson on the Rouge/Ecorse border? It was my grandparents place.

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Melvindale Little League did not fall apart when the school district built its state of the art Allendale Elementary School. They have moved to Deluca field and are flourishing, had like 400 kids in the league last year. Also DPS people did not move there in droves. Most of the old Melvindale Rats are still here. Don Wolan and his wife who is on the school board and one of those responsible for our beautiful new school still live here, Don is a pastor at Downriver Christian Community Church and the truant officer for the schools.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was downriver on business a couple of years ago. I marveled at the air. You could see it. It was PINK and smelled pretty bad. Aren't you guys who live down there afraid of lung cancer? I would be.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Aren't you guys who live down there afraid of lung cancer?"

Pink Air?

We aren't too concerned about air quality, considering the winds are predominantly out of the south/southwest. Which means that it's all carried to the north/northeast, like Detroit,Troy and Rochester :-)

I remember going out on the river back in the 70's one calm summer afternoon, there was a red saucer shaped cloud over the whole metro area. Less industry has got to be helping the local environment.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could see that stuff hanging in the air at street level. I have to say that it scared the heck out of me, and I couldn't wait to get out of there. I live in Sterling Heights and have never seen any pollution out here....except for the man next door (LOL).

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 352
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where downriver did you go?

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhere this side of the river from Gross Isle. I remember thinking of all the money they pay for housing over there and they breathe that kind of air. NO WAY!!

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the pizza debate. I was back in the area this last week and had pizza at Frank's in downtown Wyandotte. Man, it was great. Great atmosphere. I was also surprised to see a Sanders store and Stroh's Ice Cream place as well. I guess nostalgia is rearing it's ugly head again, huh?

Roomseller
Username: Roomseller

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melvindale High, class of 77 here. 20 years in the navy and now settled in Virginia Beach. Still get up few times a year to visit family, lose my limit at the casinos, catch a game or two, and hit Dix Coney Island in Lincoln Park. My nomination for best Coney Island if there is ever a "Best of..." Zukins Rib Shack by far for ribs...I'd probably move back when you can do away with winter and fix the potholes.

Checked out the new condos in Melvindale (near Greenfield and Allen Road). Unbelievable value. In Virginia Beach similar homes start at $350K. I've done my homework. Again fix the weather and potholes and I'm coming home...

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late '50's I used to go occasionally to an upscale fish restaurant in Ecorse. Can't think of the name of it. Anyone?

Also, used to go to Joey's Stables; it was by the Rouge plant somewhere, or south of it. A low level mafia hangout w/ a lot of union biggies usually in attendance. Was the place Downriver?

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JS was in Delray.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Again fix the weather and potholes and I'm coming home..."

The last time Detroit's economy took a huge dive in the late 70's, Unemployment rate downriver was high double digit. As many did, I left here and went south, I chose to work in Tennessee.

Here are some factoids about living in the central south:

1. Winters are short and dismal, rainy,

2. Summers are long and extremely hot and uncomfortable, doing anything outside unless it's swimming, is out 3 months out of the year. Even swimming/boating eventually goes by the wayside as lake water surface temperatures reach upwards of 90 degrees late summer.

3. The money saved on winter heat will be spent on summer air conditioning. It's literally turn off the furnace and turn on the air conditioning. Seems to be no spring or fall. One April day in particular, it was over 100 degrees. Humidity was almost 100%. And I've seen it break 100 over 30 days in a row through the summer. I worked outside, heat sickness (dizziness/nausea) was very common.

4. It's sunny, to the point of almost monotony, it fries the grass, cooks everything out of the soil and destroys everything left out exposed to it. Skin cancers are more common due to the exposure. Cars with a black interior, leave it in a parking lot for no time at all and it will burn skin. Including a black exterior car. I found myself looking forward to overcast days even though the humidity was even higher than normal.

Living down south for 12 years, I learned the true meaning of the old adage "there's no place like home"

Michigan/Detroit is seeing rough times again, but I plan to ride it out this time. Something tells me it will recover and be better than its been in a long time.
Big changes coming though.

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is that Mike and Sylvias Ice cream place still there? It was across from old Thunderbowl. Very popular place then."

Still there.. Is and always was (in my memory anyway) a sub and pizza shop.. Only now it's just Sylvias. Don't know what happened to Mike, Either he passed or she booted him out..

Wabashrr1

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a trip down memory lane.. Daly's on Beech Daly; 2 foot longs and a chocolate shake.. Good eating! Anybody remember the one on Allen Road just south of Outer Drive (I think)?

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sylvia divorced Mike 20 years ago at least! The pizza place used to be on the west side of Allen. The sub shop is on my top 5 list of favorite eats, par with Lafayette Coney.
Sylvia’s son Greg runs the place now. mmmmm, thinking about that pizza with the little pepperoni cups filled with yummy grease.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"remember the one (Daly's) on Allen Road just south of Outer Drive (I think)?"

I'm trying to place one around there and can't remember it. I do remember Dog&Suds or maybe that was an A&W (similar) on Ecorse north of Allen road. I remember when there was a Secretary of states office there too on Ecorse. The good old days when the folks there filled out everything for you and they were never crowded, because they had locations all over.

Roomseller

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, come on. I drive a 91 Tbird, over 150k miles, never, never, garage kept. outside since day one. (Bought it brand new). still looks brand new too. how many 91 tbirds still running around Melvindale? Virginia Beach summers are short and intense, July and August hot and humid. but March - June, and September - November, low humidity, mild temps, I love it. The navy has brought so many people here from all over it's not really the "south" anymore.

Wabashrr1

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's still an A&W on Ecorse though I don't eat there much. Just isn't what it use to be.. I remember too, with great fondness, the Ecorse Drive In (saw somebody mention that earlier). Same storm that tore the roof off of the Thunderbowl, knocked down their screen. Another frequented was the Jolly Roger on Van Born west of Telegraph. Wasn't the Fort George On Fort street in Southgate? Across from a sit in theater? I remember sitting behind the store where my parents worked watching the 'silent' movies on the Fort George screens..

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the Fort George was on Fort street, and I think Eureka? The walk-in nextdoor I think was Southgate theatre???

Yep, the Jolly Roger was on Van Born west of telegraph.

That brings back a lot of great memories. Summertime going to the Drive-in.

Roomseller: I was referring to central south. Kentucky, Tennessee. Anywhere around the ocean is probably more moderate temps.

Hardliner

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seeing this is the Downriver section, I thought I'd bring this to light in here.

August 2, 1985. An unexpected knock on the door and ”Mrs. Potas, your daughter is dead, Donna is dead.” That is how we were awoken in the early morning hours one Friday in August. We were just notified that my sister Donna had been brutally murdered and sexually assaulted in her Cleveland Street home. This crime remains unsolved and a heartache and pain to all of Donna's family.

Donna was found at approximately 5:30 A.M. the morning of August 2nd by her husband Danny as he returned home from his midnight job. There was no sign of forced entry into their home. The family dog was locked in the bathroom.

A wonderful fun loving person has been taken from us all. Donna was an active young woman and an aspiring artist working and teaching at a local art store called the Paint Box. She enjoyed staying involved with the Lincoln Park High School athletic program by coaching the girls high school track team. She was a friend and a leader to many. She will always be missed.

For weeks, then months and now many years the Lincoln Park Police department has kept this case open. Early on hope slowly began to fade and the case seemed to run cold without tips or leads.

A $50,000 reward is being offered for any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for this crime. Can you help? If you have any information about this crime please contact the Lincoln Park Police Dept Detectives at (313)381-8378 or via email policetip@citylp.com.

$50,000 Reward.

For more information about this, Please, go to the following Sites:

http://www.donna-unsolved.com
http://www.myspace.com/donnapo tasgomez
http://www.lpclassof80.com

Hardliner

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, by the way... this wasn't *MY* sister, it was written Ken, Donna Potas's Brother. :-)

just an fyi...

-HL

Roomseller

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo. That's cool...I keep my Detroit roots even though I've been gone since 1979. My mother's health is declining, I have given serious consideration to moving back to help her out in her last few years...I get up at least 6 times a year (every other month). I'm sick of minor league anything and summer festivals with no alcohol. Cost of living is skyrocketing here, real estate taxes double every 6 years, and the crackheads and gangs from the NE are slowly but surely making their way here...If I did have to move back I'm thinking Wyandotte, Trenton, or Dearborn (Michigan Ave and Oakwood area...). What ya think?

Roomseller

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or someone convince me why i should move downtown. I'd love a view of the river, the high rises south of the Joe?

Jqls

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Allen Park, nice city but do not recommend it. As for your choices West Dearborn is nice, there are some old homes with great stone work on them. As for Trenton also a big fan. I like the ranches and large yards there. Not to mention a great run city and school system, if you have kids. As for wyandotte, steer clear. I own a rental house there and I cannot stand the neighbors, very white trashy. I also hate the city admin. there very snooty. Good downtown though.

Good luck and I wish your mother all the best.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Room,

I wouldn't mind living in any of those cities.

HAha - Non Alcoholic social events?? Oh I remember guys I worked with not wanting anyone to know they had a few beers at home one evening. I was like - what year is this?

I too wish your Mom well..

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kola's kitchen sells chicken, at least they told me it tastes like chicken.....

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 353
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the problem with AP, jqls?

Jqls

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayshaun22,
Not that much I just think if you have the cash and are looking for a great home/city trenton is slightly rated higher than AP. As for Dearborn schools okay but some of the homes back by outerdrive/michigan/cherry hill area are absolutely beautiful.

I love AP, lived here for 29 years and can't complain. Live in a great neighborhood though. Actually live across the street from the twins who you mentioned earlier in the forum. Hey by the way they will be wrestling this weekend at the palace for nationals.

But all in all AP is cool, just lacks some good places to hang out. And please don't come back and say the wheat is cool.

Jman
Username: Jman

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworldcity, is the upscale fish place you are thinking of Ciaungans (sp)? We used to call it chewing gums. Easier to spell and pronounce.

Roomseller

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo and Jqls: Thank you for the best wishes. My mom's a tough old bird, we nicknamed her Captain Comeback. Thanks for the input. Our glorious March 80 degrees days ended today and we dropped to a chilly 50 with drizzle. There goes my golf game this weekend. I'll be back in Melvindale end of April, 719 miles driveway to driveway. Best time so far, 10 hours and 15 minutes. worst time, 2 days. If i move back and my wife comes with me, it's Dearborn or Downriver somewhere, if i just come up by myself i'll look at renting somewhere, i could live downtown if the price is right...what's Hines Drive like anymore? I remember spending a night in jail due to a "contributing to the deliquency of a minor" charge...Guilty as charged. (hey it was 1978...)

Helpwanted
Username: Helpwanted

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

southgate is a nice place to live

Roomseller

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norfolk VA Ford F-150 plant closing earlier than announced. 800 jobs or so transferred to Dearborn

http://content.hamptonroads.co m/story.cfm?story=121274&ran=1 31041&tref=po

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Roomseller, we probably know each other. I'm a '75 grad of MHS. I too like to get back downriver whenever I get the chance. I'm sure you'll be welcomed back to Melvindale with open arms. I used to be good friends with Norm Tracy. Remember him? I believe he's living in SoCal now.

Roomseller

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fredgarvin, tracey doesn't ring a bell. i grew up near dix and outer drive. living in Virginia Beach now after 20 years in the Navy. alot of partying friends were class of 75 and 76, chased the girls from class of 78 and 79 LOL. you can email me at my name here at the yahoo.

Where are you?

Fredgarvin

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Room, I'll reach out for you. I'm currently living in Indy, and originally moved from Detroit/Melvindale area in 1982.

Roomseller

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fredg, cool. you ever in VA Beach or passing through, let me know. i can get you a deal on hotel stay (note the nickname). you think the marriott dearborn inn is nice (and it is) i can top it.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just turned 21 but I haven't yet drank at the Wheat. I'll definitely check out the new pool hall/bar across from the show, though. Also it's pretty creepy to think you live a block away. Small world, I guess.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a student at HFCC in 2000, and 2001 and I got some stories to tell about my [one of] my favourite Downriver suburbs, Wyandotte. When we had blackouts @ work, I'd drive out to Wyandotte because I loved the serenity and peace and quiet there. Not to mention the old men fishing and the houses on Van Elsner (did I get the name right?) that simultaneously resembled Fort Wayne and Indian Village. But being an art student @ that time, I would take my materials and draw whatever came to mind. And I'd always hang out @ Bishop Park and-I shouldn't even be telling y'all this-I would (discreetly) drink my wine there. I did not know until a month later that you couldn't bring alcohol there so I stopped. But the townhouses on Biddle (West Jefferson) turned me on to the location as well as the art galleries. And in '01 the unthinkable happened. A fire had grazed throughout several galleries and I had just met the owner(s) of those galleries a week or so before that unfortunate event occurred. Some gallery owners bounced back and others moved out. I think the ones who suffered the worst were Chris and Charlie Neal (C.C. Art Gallery) and Karl Kamulski who taught art @ the WCCCD Downriver Campus. They both had beautiful historic lofts on Biddle that faced the townhomes and the pier on the Detroit River. It was a beautiful view. I still have the article from the Detroit News in my photo album. And get this-I'm just going by what the business owners told me-there was a coffee shop that was also burned down that owned by Nigerians! Whether or not that's true, I don't know, I've never been to the shop to find out. But one of my fondest memories of Wyandotte was going to Cahallan's Liquor Store and buying some 'Detroit-Chicago-Style' pizza-basically Chicago-style pizza with extra pizza toppings. Heart attack waiting to happen, I know (lol), and washing it down with either Faygo, or Arbor Mist, or even some spirits for later on that night (when I got home, that is). Another memory I cherish the most was in '02 Biddle was closed for three blocks to hold and art show. I had no idea Jefferson was THAT BIG, especially in Wyandotte. Other than that I had a good time, came across some musicians, met some folks, not to mention some fine women (lol). Heck, I had such a good time there I drove to Toledo THAT SAME DAY by taking Telegraph straight through and didn't come back until early Sunday morning! Do me a favour, y'all. If Wyandotte ever has another art show like that again, PLEASE let me know. If the Good Lord's willin', I'll be there!

Danny

Post Number: 5625
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When visiting in Lincoln Park, you all should Clemente's Bowling Alley, Restaurant and Bar. With only 6 lanes clean and synthetic its a great place for your family and friends to bowl. It was built in 1948 when bowling was popular back then and it fills up with smaller U.S.B.C. sanctioned leagues every night.

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wyandotte has that art show every year it is one weekend in July. Usually the weekend after Trenton's street fair.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxxx, Cushkid.....

Wyandotte Street Art Fair 11th, 12th, 13th 14th July 2007 a "do not miss"

Regards

Jqls

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayshaun22,
Do you have a job, I might be hiring for the summer. Landscaping and Lawn Maintenance is the work I do. Let me know.

Island
Username: Island

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed Clemente (of the Lincoln Park Clemente's bowling alley fame)is our Michigan House District 14 rep.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

July 11-14 2007. Thanks, Chuckles.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I already have a job, but thanks for the offer!

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: