Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » New port authority building? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sc00by9999
Username: Sc00by9999

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im wondering if anyone has any news on the new port authority building going up by the rencen. according to their website "The project is expected to be complete in 2006"

port authority

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sweet! Can't wait to moor the Bertram at that baby. Rock--you with me here? That looks like a nice operation.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a side note, they created a connecting path for the riverwalk between the Ren Cen and Hart Plaza portions so pedestrians can avoid walking along Atwater and through the DPD parking lot now. I snapped this a few days ago.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so is that connecting path considered the new "port authority" terminal? If so,I guess they scaled things back a bit. Or is it further down where that boat is ?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's supposed to go where the asphalt is and the concrete begins in the picture.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uh huh....

Dtroit
Username: Dtroit

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I have been wondering for quite sometime also. I believe the sign at the site has a different timeline on it, however I am not positive. I have sent an email to the Port Authority. I am hoping for a quick response.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3778
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What perfect stopping point for a Detroit - Windsor ferry! This is behind Ford Auditorium, right?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rulez' Betram is a better candidate to tie up here than my SeaRay. I am not sure if the docking space will accomodate too large a cruise ship, but I will remain optomistic.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.portdetroit.com/ind ex.htm

That looks like a pretty big cruise ship on the front page of their website. Might just be for show.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell: It's behind the auditorium and the western half of the riverfront garage.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that is just silly.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miami!

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would so go on a nice summer Great Lakes Cruise if they began and ended in Detroit.

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all about federal money. What I heard from the architects was that the money wasn't used quickly enough the first time around, and so they are waiting for it to be allocated again. Same thing with the transit center - federal money. I've had some limited experience with federal grants when I worked for an engineering consultant, and I know it was always a bitch for the accountants.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 704
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so... when's work starting on this project? I walk by there everyday and nothing seems to be going on, sans the litter piling up a little.

And that pic is ridiculous! That looks like 8x the size of the Princess!

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That picture isn't ridiculous if you look closely at it. The Columbus (the ship in the picture, as Cgunn pointed out) isn't actually docked at Detroit, but is northbound in the middle of the river, quite a ways away from shore. If you look at it understanding the perspective you're viewing it from and the ship's actually location it's not as weird looking.

On a side note, the Columbus has docked in my hometown of Port Huron at the Seaway terminal a number of times (the bean dock for old timers from the area), and while it's a nice facility I would imagine that the Port Authority building will be able to handle quite a bit more.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pictures of the Columbus at port in Port Huron so you can get a sense of the scale of the ship at dock.

columbus

http://www.achesonventures.com/swtphotogallery.asp

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any news on this? is the plan dead? stalled?

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: