Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Renaissance Center New Website « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GM Ren Cen has a new web site! (www.gmrencen.com)

Now all we need are more retailers. (If you go to leasing, it directs you to BIERI Company, which web site hasn't been updated since 2005). Do you think that's why there may be a lack of retailers in a place that houses 10k workers?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was impressed to see that it had other events throughout the city but it still seems to be missing some. Whats up with the tastefest now becoming cityfest? No mention of the summer blast either

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2701
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think even with the great renovations the Ren Cen is kind of detached from the rest of downtown by Jefferson. Getting Hart Plaza to be used more, and tearing down the Ford Auditorium and creating a mixed-use streetscape along Bates which leads to the new Port, would remedy this. I haven't looked at Ren Cen occupancy numbers, but perhaps one tower should become residential within a decade?

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban,

they did talk about the both events happening downtown (http://www.gmrencen.com/Detroi t/MajorEvents/tabid/99/Default .aspx)

Mackinaw,

I was thinking that a tower should be residential also, but i don't believe that office occupancy rates are low. I could be wrong. Is there space to build another tower?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the international river days festival the summer blast?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 966
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is there space to build another tower?"

lol, according to the original concept, there was plenty of room to build additional towers (see Photo and Model links...

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.c om/2006/11/nightmere-detroit-r enaissance-center.html

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2704
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now that's wild.

So they would have built over the tunnel entrance?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its like a creepy fortress.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 295
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the buildings along the river were intended to be residential? I think there was a discussion of this plan in an ancient thread.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 689
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work at the RenCen. At first is it really strange because there is no real line site because a pillar or wall is blocking your view. Kinda reminds me of a space ship. Now, that I have been there for a couple of years, I okay with it. I love the sky lights, Winter Garden and the River Front Plaza.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love going to the Ren Cen because everytime I go there is like less noticable concrete and more white walls.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photo and model at the Faded Detroit link above shows that the shorter towers were originally going to be white. The short towers on the west side of the complex was going to butt right up to the Ford Auditorium.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.