Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » E. Jefferson Retail Still a Bit of a Struggle « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 792
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A sign in the window of the long vacant Hollywood Video space in Chene Square on East Jefferson heralds the impending arrival of another Lee Beauty Supply store. I find it kind of disappointing that this high visibility location with huge traffic counts could not be leased to a retail tenant that provided some kind of service to a wider customer base. (e.g., casual restaurant, specialty grocery, hardware, apparel, electronics, bakery etc.) There are already four or five "beauty supply" stores within 2 miles of this location.

I'm not blaming anyone for anything. The landlord needs to get his space leased. There are lenders to be paid. I'm just disappointed that Detroit retail can't more quickly break out of the bottom of the barrel dollar store/beauty supply rut. These kinds of stores are poison to any future efforts of their landlords to secure any national credit tenants for their shopping centers. Chene Square will continue to merely limp along. I was hopeful that the opening of the Staples adjacent to this location would shake loose another quality retail tenant. Alas, it is not to be.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3795
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

These kinds of stores are poison to any future efforts of their landlords to secure any national credit tenants for their shopping centers.

Really? They do? Like tanning salons are poison to retail strips in Macomb County? Because Lee Beauty supply is the equivalent, more or less, of Beachez Tanning Salon....

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8882
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have mentioned that many times Skulker. It will fall on deaf ears.

I would love to see a different mix of stores but the reality of it that stores like Lee Beauty are wanted and used by many more than the stores that I would like to see.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Madison Height's very own "Bubbly Tub and Tan" myself. I think we need lots of those in the city. Right next door to strip clubs.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 793
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We thought we wanted/needed a hardware store on West Vernor (that what we told the planners)- and we got one. It was a new-style store with everything factory-sealed in plastic packages and owners who were interested in the business but really didn't have seasoning in nuts and bolts.

We neighbors ended up still going to the old, creaking wood-floored stores on Junction and on Michigan, where the staff (even the kids who must listen to the old guys all day) knows just what you are talking about and what you need when you say that your toilet is leaking from underneath the tank or you say that you need just one washer this size. When I had water in my basement, they knew just who to recommend.

I do know that few or none of those-type stores are left on the east side. Even a modern hardware store would be better for the east side than another beauty supply store.Why does beauty supply flourish over places to get your windows and screens replaced, where tools and paint are available? Maybe most people on the East Side travel to Grosse Pointe to get their hardware store items -to old stores.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 652
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well... it is a strip mall... lol, nothing says classy like having a chinese food restaurant as a neighbor!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8883
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest - You just described Busy Bee on Gratiot near Eastern Market.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there a hardware store on Gratiot near Eastern Market?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul - You just described Busy Bee on Gratiot near Eastern Market.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 961
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I do know that few or none of those-type stores are left on the east side. Even a modern hardware store would be better for the east side than another beauty supply store.Why does beauty supply flourish over places to get your windows and screens replaced, where tools and paint are available? Maybe most people on the East Side travel to Grosse Pointe to get their hardware store items -to old stores."

-Bommarito's Hardware (Gratiot and Greiner or Mcnichols if you wish)
-AAA TrueValue (Whittier and Riad or Kelly if you wish)
-TrueValue (Warren and Audubon or Outer Drive if you wish)
-Gratiot TrueValue (Gratiot and Forest)
-Busy Bee (Gratioit and Russell)
-Triangle Hardware (Gratiot and Georgia)

Then there is separate key, wood, plaumbing and paint shops along Warren and Mack in Morningside (or was a wood shop)

Judging from the list I gave you, most of the eastside hardwares are along Gratiot than anywhere else.

or we just go to the mega Hardware stores in Harper Woods.

(Message edited by Urbanize on April 21, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.